jools posted:

of course british food is terrible - real subsumption has existed in britain 50-100 years longer than most other countries. processed food has dominated the diet for much longer as a result. russia is probably the only country though where the process of real subsumption actually improved the cuisine

um, no. brit food is bad b/c its made by brits, who are terrible at everything and are the biggest shit stain on the great pair of underpants we call humanity, as i'm sure you're well aware.

personally i like all kinds of food but the cultural integrationist approach of russian cuisine is probably objectively superior to the peasant regionalism of chinese cuisine which is so extreme that the latter term doesn't really describe anything at all
i didn't necessarily mean bland in a negative sense, just bland in a more technical sense of "lacking any spice/flavor."
except for KFC, that is definitely Chinese food
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:

it's so easy to own these people because they hide under a blanket if they even see you coming

Big talk for someone who literally worked for the CIA in a poverty tour of the occupied Palestinian territories

pyf mudcake recipes

daddyholes posted:

krugman blamed british food on WWII rationing

i dont think this is the whole story, it's worth comparing % rural populations in different european countries prior to ww2 as well. i'm pretty sure british food sucked shit before ww2. the other end of the scale is probably italy - italians employed in nazi forced labour were resented because their rations included a higher proportion of fresh vegetables than anyone else's as they wouldn't eat otherwise.

Well, on the Golden Ring route,

daddyholes posted:

something being located in china does not make it chinese food. There are certainly chinese variations and appropriations of kfc dishes/recipes, but it's all grobalized/mcdonaldized and i wouldn't consider it chinese cuisine.

daddyholes posted:

personally i like all kinds of food but the cultural integrationist approach of russian cuisine is probably objectively superior to the peasant regionalism of chinese cuisine which is so extreme that the latter term doesn't really describe anything at all

"but you don't understand, this shit is actually a careful blend of ten different kinds of shit!"

codywilson posted:

something being located in china does not make it chinese food. There are certainly chinese variations and appropriations of kfc dishes/recipes, but it's all grobalized/mcdonaldized and i wouldn't consider it chinese cuisine.

KFC gives maximum opportunity to throw bones on the ground, pick teeth with fingers, burp and yell loudly about the lack of quality

[account deactivated]

daddyholes posted:

codywilson posted:

KFC gives maximum opportunity to throw bones on the ground, pick teeth with fingers, burp and yell loudly about the lack of quality

"why aren't they serving feet? motherfuckers"

Food is gross. Eat salt and drink water.
tpaine what did you eat for your last meal

codywilson posted:

daddyholes posted:

i don't know if you're trolling but KFC originally stood for Kong Fei Canton Chicken Company, it was only referred to as Kentucky Fried Chicken in american marketing. KFC is chinese.

also the russian approach is less cultural integrationist and more "these guys all conquered us"

daddyholes posted:

codywilson posted:

as a cultural environment/phenomenon it has certainly been well assimilated. but how does post-eating behavior reflect the cultural authenticity of the food?

also you forgot hacking and spitting everywhere.

let's try to get more racist now. i saw korean restaurants selling dog meat. man's best fried

jools posted:

daddyholes posted:

codywilson posted:

chikcen feet are totally chinese diet. i wouldn't be surprised if they served them cooked up at the chinese kfcs

codywilson posted:

daddyholes posted:

codywilson posted:

as a cultural environment/phenomenon it has certainly been well assimilated. but how does post-eating behavior reflect the cultural authenticity of the food?

there isn't any such thing as cultural authenticity

if the mode of consumption is, like, identical to anything else in that culture, you might as well call it chinese food
eating kfc in wuhan while yelling at each other and spitting is as much a sinification of kfc as it is an americanisation of china

codywilson posted:

jools posted:

daddyholes posted:

codywilson posted:

chikcen feet are totally chinese diet. i wouldn't be surprised if they served them cooked up at the chinese kfcs

they didnt at the one i went to. it sucked

jools posted:

codywilson posted:

daddyholes posted:

codywilson posted:

fair enough, poor word choice. i guess I should've said regional ownership or something?

jools posted:

Waiter brings you a piece of wonder bread with peanut butter on it. "Great Schezuan delicacy, very authentic."

who am i to argue

jools posted:

eating kfc in wuhan while yelling at each other and spitting is as much a sinification of kfc as it is an americanisation of china

yeah, it's an undefined spectrum between grobal/glocal influence, but the point is that western capitalism drove it/originated it, it that counts or anything.

actually i read something a while back on the re-export of fake chinese cuisine to china or s/thing
kfc weirded me out in china because here they sell it as like "you're getting a bucket of grease and you'll like it" but there they made all the pictures of food a neon green or something as if you're getting vegetables instead of fried chicken.

jools posted:

actually i read something a while back on the re-export of fake chinese cuisine to china or s/thing

You mean like native chinese inhabitants consuming some sesame chicken? most of the chinese people I know don't really like the americanized dishes that american chinese restaurants sell.

codywilson posted:

jools posted:

You mean like native chinese inhabitants consuming some sesame chicken? most of the chinese people I know don't really like the americanized dishes that american chinese restaurants sell.

yeah or something along these lines. i think it was a few specific dishes.

codywilson posted:

jools posted:

yeah, it's an undefined spectrum between grobal/glocal influence, but the point is that western capitalism drove it/originated it, it that counts or anything.

okay that makes more sense. though in a similar sense western capitalism drove the introduction of chinese food to america

they're becoming so americanized that they're adopting our false image of what they should be like. amazing.
lol dont kid yourself
okay the one article i could find was about how its Epic Failing http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/02/05/american-chinese-food-comes-to-china.html

codywilson posted:

jools posted:

which is weird cuz im mexican but fuckin(!) love taco bell

[account deactivated]
tpaine have you ever tried "40-fried chicken"