i liked cube because of the set and setting (I was tripping)
i appreciated the presentation of its world being made up of exactly one room iterated endlessly by an incoherent impersonal plan where the only power an individual has is to crunch the numbers already presented as the task to accomplish. i thought it would have been easy to try and explain what was happening beyond presenting it as the implacable product of ISA and was glad the latter happened instead
look up in the sky - it's a bird, it's a plane, it's

jools posted:

dark city 0wns

The screenwriter for that film also did Dark Knight Returns, Call of Duty Black Ops 1&2 and Man of Steel

1) it wasnt just him 2) who cares the aesthetics of that film are a thousand times better than any nolan shitbox
Lets all buy Blops and analyze it over our gamer headsets.
in black ops communists run everything through superior organization
i saw frances ha with my dad a few weeks a go. it's great if you are a mid 20s loser like me
White House Down looks awesome
the tooth gun thing from eXistenZ alone was well worth the price of admission ($160/mo + $20 for HBO)
i just saw this is the end, fun little movie, i'd reccomend smoking up before you watch it though
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
*plops*
[account deactivated]
i know all about blops. me about blops
redlettermedia dismantled the superman movie imo.

babyfinland posted:

White House Down looks awesome

i already saw olympus has fallen so i need to watch this to compare & contrast

dark city owns. existenz is pretty good, i need to watch it again with the full benefit of Being Able To Pretend To Understand Lacan. i have not, in fact, seen the animatrix, and i'm probably not going to
will white house down feature on over-long shot of a tattered american flag slowly floating to the ground. because if not i'll just stick with olympus has fallen like my ancestors before me did. if it's good enough for grandpoppy it's good enough for me
oh reappropriating my jokes now, i bet you have a psychoanalytical term for that and all
the matrix is about transgenderism
im late to the party but i think the medium of film is ultimately inadequate to portray any sort of dickian multiple-layers-of-reality stuff in an interesting or convincing way, none of the ones you were mentioning really did much for me
synecdoche, new york does that quite well imo
^^thanks for reminding me i borrowed that from a friend like 3 years ago and never got around to watching it

deadken posted:

will white house down feature on over-long shot of a tattered american flag slowly floating to the ground. because if not i'll just stick with olympus has fallen like my ancestors before me did. if it's good enough for grandpoppy it's good enough for me

I don't why he steps on the US flag, it's wrong. Each individual should respect his country's flag.This isn't a video edit.
In sign of support for US: http://amzn.to/16U1oqR

deadken posted:

i have not, in fact, seen the animatrix, and i'm probably not going to

the wikipedia article makes it sound like it has politics

havent seen the movie but zod wanting to terraform earth ( in order to remake it into something so rational its inhuman - from the pov of the filmmakers) is actually a projection of the US empire's willingness to destroy the human race before it concedes the historical stage imo
i saw this last night, thought it was pretty good. im never too sure about how superman translates as fascist imagery bc he seems more like an embodiment of american immigrant mythology than an avatar of state corporate power, or even of zionism really

like you see him as a kid reading the republic, then later as an adult watching the game, as if one leads to the other, which is cool. the only kind of fucked up thing in it really is where he kills the genocidal jarhead zod at the end, with the implication that for the last 2 hours he wasn't intending to kill him and just wanted to... well, the movie doesnt give any alternative. Tearing Shit Up is what superman was sent here to do, thats his higher purpose. Whatever, movie. What-the-fuck-ever.
i want to see the earlier comic in which superman eats a garbage dump
superman movies are not fascist, its how the establishmnt sees itself. in the 70s it was more confident, less narcissistic. in 2013 superman is destroying the city in order to save it.
Why can't they do a funny, bright "Superman" movie? People loved Iron Man and The Avengers and those were almost comedies. Hollywood meddlers imo.
i refuse to watch any movie that doesn't star jason statham
i watched predators last night and adrian brody sounds like hugh jackman doing wolverine, which made me think about how much better that movie wouldve been if hugh jackman was in it doing wolverine
the concept of a secret identity is increasingly anachronistic, imo.
It should make you glad there is at least the tiniest bit of shame and self-awareness in Hollywood that they refuse to do a "Superman saves people, is confronted with Kryptonite, uses his cunning to remove the Kryptonite, cracks an evil dude's skull, helps celebrate Independence Day by shitting like a roman candle." movie
there are only two in-universe reasons to have a secret identity: to have a normal life (spider man, super man) or to avoid being arrested for vigilantism or pariah status (spider man, batman, x-men). the notion that it keeps someone's loved ones safe is totally unsubstantiated. all just my opinion though

swampman posted:

It should make you glad there is at least the tiniest bit of shame and self-awareness in Hollywood that they refuse to do a "Superman saves people, is confronted with Kryptonite, uses his cunning to remove the Kryptonite, cracks an evil dude's skull, helps celebrate Independence Day by shitting like a roman candle." movie

red letter media had a good point in my opinion when they pointed out that hollywood has become such a goofy over the top spectacle that you can't just have an "oh no the planet is exploding, better shoot our baby away" scene anymore, now there's got to be a lazer kung fu battle sequence

and is it really necessary to retell superman's origin story? who out there goes to a superman movie not knowing superman's origin story? just some questions, that i had