thread delivers
glodmine
in zimmerman's case i'm in favor of reviving trial by ordeal
called it

sort of

I was expecting manslaughter but yeah
In USA you can murder a nigger for free, but you have to go to the principals office after you do it.

babyfinland posted:

called it

sort of

I was expecting manslaughter but yeah

congoonrulationsz

im not that surprised or even angry but honestly it was still outrageous when they at first just let him free and didn't charge him. i mean i was angrier about him profiling, stalking, and then killing trayvon than i am about the verdict

Edited by ilmdge ()

"If Zimmerman was black, he wouldn't have even been charged by the police!"

Edited by toy ()

when rioting how long do you have to wait before moving into simple looting?
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Christianity is oppressed by aetheism
Orwell was right!!!!!
...FAR right!
Zimmerman acted logically in a white supremacist society viewing a Black boy as a dangerous threat who needed to be contained and punished if necessary. The jury's verdict is logical in a white supremacist society in which Black people's lives have been and are so systemically devalued and denigrated that when Black people call injustice, the logic of white supremacy is to say "those Black people create racial hostility". When police forces intimidate, harass, threaten and arrest people across the country for protesting and rising up against this verdict they will be acting logically in a society designed to serve the interests of the ruling class and maintain white supremacy as a key principle that helps organize and maintain systemic inequality.

This is why we and all who believe in justice and equality for all people are "irrational", "illogical", "emotional". This is why we so often feel crazy in these moments of profound injustice. And this is why we must tap into our emotions, into our love and our rage, our seditious emotionality that connects our hearts to one another (against the divisions that work so hard to keep us apart), that connects our pain to the collective pain of people everywhere who know what this verdict means in the lives of children of color who are targeted and the lives of white children and non-Black children who are socialized to hate Blackness (even though we are suppose to feel alone and alienated). This is why we must expand wisdom and historical knowledge and speak truth against the logic of white supremacy (even though we are suppose to believe ourselves incapable of understanding the world around us, let along being actors shaping it).

Rage against this verdict and every verdict that tells my white son to devalue the lives of the Black children in our community. Love our people and act with courage, vision, and the logic of liberation that beats in our hearts. Solidarity is the tenderness of the people. Revolutionary struggle building mass people power for systemic change is the soul of the people. White supremacist logic wants us to feel powerless in the face of this verdict. Liberation logic wants us to go deeper into the sources of positive power to advance systemic change.

To my white people, let us step up in this moment and provide a different leadership in white communities about what this verdict means. Justice for Trayvon Martin!
riot grrl
http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2013/07/14/george_zimmerman_s_brother_on_cnn_trayvon_martin_may_have_been_trying_to.html

Robert Zimmerman Jr. appeared on CNN Saturday night after a jury passed down a not guilty verdict for his brother George Zimmerman. Anchor Don Lemon asked Robert:

You said you want to start some sort of dialogue, and much has been made about race in this particular case. And you, your brother, your family—you have a unique opportunity in this country to address that. What would you like to see happen when it comes to race, healing the divide, and do you plan to do anything about that, and will you ask your brother to do anything about that?

Robert Zimmerman then responded by (kind of) accusing Trayvon Martin of (maybe) trying to get a gun.

I want to know what makes people angry enough to attack someone the way that Trayvon Martin did. I want to know if it is true, and I don’t know if it’s true, that Trayvon Martin was looking to procure firearms, was growing marijuana plants… I want to know that every minor, high-schooler, that would be reaching out in some way for help, and they may feel it’s by procuring firearms or whatever they may be doing, that they have some kind of help. I think that’s what George was trying to do when he mentored two black children.

codywilson posted:

when rioting how long do you have to wait before moving into simple looting?

not sure do let us know if you find out – i could do with a new pair of kicks ...

ha! president obama, recipetent of the nobel peace prize, wants to “honor trayvon with gun control”.
pesident obama is very wise and has much expertise in the killing of non-white children.

“zimmerman, you shoulda used a drone, bro.”
Indefinitely detain the innocent,
never prosecute the financial institutions
And let the guilty go free
the weirdest part of the trial was where they played an animated reenactment of the fight to a midi of everybody was kungfu fighting
But in the offices of the company that makes Skittles - Wrigley, and its parent company, Mars - Skittles' new level of fame has become a kind of marketing crisis that threatens to hurt the company even as sales improve.

"You get trained if someone dies eating your product, but I don't think anyone has been through training for something like this," said Beth Gallant, a marketing professor at Lehigh University who has worked as a brand manager for Nabisco, Kraft, Pfizer and Crayola.

Like Twinkies, whose poor nutritional value ended up as a legal defense in the 1978 murders of the San Francisco supervisor Harvey Milk and Mayor George Moscone, and Flavor-Aid, the powdered drink that the cult leader Jim Jones laced with cyanide to kill more than 900 people in Guyana that same year, Skittles has entered the elite world of food products that have become symbols through no fault of their own.

For its part, Wrigley has chosen to make only a subdued statement about its product, saying the company is deeply saddened, respects the family's privacy and feels "it inappropriate to get involved or comment further as we would never wish for our actions to be perceived as an attempt of commercial gain following this tragedy."

A spokeswoman, Jennifer Jackson Luth, would not comment on the impact of Skittles' sudden popularity on profits.
more like ArsPathetica
[account deactivated]
my god this place really is full of lawyers no wonder it's so awful

daddyholes posted:

A spokeswoman, Jennifer Jackson Luth, would not comment on the impact of Skittles' sudden popularity on profits.

it could be that the rise in profits is because trayvon mainstreamed purple drank ... skittles becomes the candy of choice in memory.

deadken posted:

isn't it just lykourgos? just turn colours on & save time by scrolling past the bright green ones

and the red ones. and well all the other ones too

oh wait that's jools hahaha sorry

well you can tell a lykourgos post, they may as well be bright neon green
http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/news/story/2013/07/14/montreal-huntingdon-stephane-gendron-cats.html
[account deactivated]

TG posted:

generally speaking for self defense, the defendant must provide a scintilla of evidence of the affirmative defense, and then it is the prosecutor's burden to disprove it beyond a reasonable doubt. thats how affirmative defenses usually work, although some may place the burden on the defendant to prove it beyond a preponderance of the evidence. it is unconstitutional burden shifting to make a defendant prove or disprove something beyond a reasonable doubt in a criminal case

The Jury has reviewed the contents of this post, and on the charges of First Degree Being Wrong As Shit, hamslaughter, and willful transmission of failAIDS, the court finds the poster Guilty, on all counts

AmericanNazbro posted:

i think what tommy was (rightly) pointing out in this thread is that: you see, zimmerman isn't white, nor is he black, so with regards to the interpretation of the law on whether it was self defense or murder, there is some "grey" area.

who makes the "if george was black and trayvon was white" argument and what do they mean by it. i'm not asking this to be a punk, i really don't get the analogy / line of thought
they mean that George Zimmerman would have been arrested immediately, most likely needed a public defender, not received the Benefit of the Doubt (one of the most powerful and overlooked aspects of racial/class division), and have definitely been found Guilty by a 6 person knitting circle of white women
all defendants should be required to appear in court by video proxy while having all racially distinguishing physical features averaged out to complete ambiguous neutrality by editing software

drwhat posted:

deadken posted:

isn't it just lykourgos? just turn colours on & save time by scrolling past the bright green ones

and the red ones. and well all the other ones too

im a layer and im really strong and hamdsome and NOT a virgen

Thank you for your contribution corey

swampman posted:

who makes the "if george was black and trayvon was white" argument and what do they mean by it. i'm not asking this to be a punk, i really don't get the analogy / line of thought

presumably because this entire thing is about race and race relations in the usa

[account deactivated]