also the magna carta only guaranteed the rights of the aristocratic landlord class for whom the peasants were somewhere above livestock and somewhere below property in what was an already doomed feudal system and most english monarchs basically just ignored it so it's basically a pretty good metaphor for jay-z's future career
even further, the magna carta removed power from the sovereign monarch to assign it to the nobility and was thus Bad For The Peasants
I also dislike black people and black music, much like the rest of the posters in this thread.

Edited by RBC ()

daddyholes posted:

even further, the magna carta removed power from the sovereign monarch to assign it to the nobility and was thus Bad For The Peasants

that's not necessarily bad for the peasants and, even if it was bad for the peasants, that's not the only part of the analysis. Deadken already indicated how important peasants are.

Lykourgos posted:

daddyholes posted:

that's not necessarily bad for the peasants and, even if it was bad for the peasants, that's not the only part of the analysis. Deadken already indicated how important peasants are.

How does it make you feel knowing that rappers are more respected than philosophers or various noble men

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

Lykourgos posted:

daddyholes posted:

How does it make you feel knowing that rappers are more respected than philosophers or various noble men

They aren't? The common sort who look up to singers in some significant manner really don't have much understanding or knowledge of nobility and classical philosophy. There's no real question about respect because their is no basis upon which to hold that competition.

Now, if you think a man of quality is going to think of jay-zed as being a more notable person than, say, Aristotle, then best of luck to you because you're a moron and will probably choke to death on a cheeto or other gross American foodstuff sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Lykourgos posted:

daddyholes posted:

thanks, i'm glad when we agree on things

Lykourgos posted:

Lykourgos posted:

daddyholes posted:

They aren't? The common sort who look up to singers in some significant manner really don't have much understanding or knowledge of nobility and classical philosophy. There's no real question about respect because their is no basis upon which to hold that competition.

Now, if you think a man of quality is going to think of jay-zed as being a more notable person than, say, Aristotle, then best of luck to you because you're a moron and will probably choke to death on a cheeto or other gross American foodstuff sometime in the next couple of weeks.

they are though, when was the last time a classical philosopher endorsed a soft drink? they don't because their views are not valued because they themselves have lost their nobility

In general though I think it's better to respect your elders and Western civilization, and understand that it's not very funny to try and joke with them about embracing paganism and embarrassing neo-conservative/Wicca-style novelties like the rule of polyarchy or sex with children. Remember that even as the good Doctor called Aristotle "the Philosopher" he reminded us that there is something to be learned from any author, if only mistakes to be avoided. We must keep in mind ratio bonitatis at all times. All regimes are under God's authority and their virtues reflect that, even in the worst cases:

(36) When a choice is to be made between two things, from both of which danger impends, surely that one should be chosen from which the lesser evil follows. Now, lesser evil follows from the corruption of a monarchy (which is tyranny) than from the corruption of an aristocracy.

(37) Group government most frequently breeds dissension. This dissension runs counter to the good of peace which is the principal social good. A tyrant, on the other hand, does not destroy this good, rather he obstructs one or the other individual interest of his subjects—unless, of course, there be an excess of tyranny and the tyrant rages against the whole community. Monarchy is therefore to be preferred to polyarchy, although either form of government might become dangerous.

(38) Further, that from which great dangers may follow more frequently is, it would seem, the more to be avoided. Now, considerable dangers to the multitude follow more frequently from polyarchy than from monarchy. There is a greater chance that, where there are many rulers, one of them will abandon the intention of the common good than that it will be abandoned when there is but one ruler. When any one among several rulers turns aside from the pursuit of the common good, danger of internal strife threatens the group because, when the chiefs quarrel, dissension will follow in the people. When, on the other hand, one man is in command, he more often keeps to governing for the sake of the common good. Should he not do so, it does not immediately follow that he also proceeds to the total oppression of his subjects. This, of course, would be the excess of tyranny and the worst wickedness in government, as has been shown above. The dangers, then, arising from a polyarchy are more to be guarded against than those arising from a monarchy.

(39) Moreover, in point of fact, a polyarchy deviates into tyranny not less but perhaps more frequently than a monarchy. When, on account of there being many rulers, dissensions arise in such a government, it often happens that the power of one preponderates and he then usurps the government of the multitude for himself. This indeed may be clearly seen from history. There has hardly ever been a polyarchy that did not end in tyranny. The best illustration of this fact is the history of the Roman Republic. It was for a long time administered by the magistrates but then animosities, dissensions and civil wars arose and it fell into the power of the most cruel tyrants. In general, if one carefully considers what has happened in the past and what is happening in the present, he will discover that more men have held tyrannical sway in lands previously ruled by many rulers than in those ruled by one.

(40) The strongest objection why monarchy, although it is “the best form of government”, is not agreeable to the people is that, in fact, it may deviate into tyranny. Yet tyranny is wont to occur not less but more frequently on the basis of a polyarchy than on the basis of a monarchy. It follows that it is, in any case, more expedient to live under one king than under the rule of several men.

[account deactivated]

they are though, when was the last time a classical philosopher endorsed a soft drink? they don't because their views are not valued because they themselves have lost their nobility

classical philosophers and nobility did endorse quality foodstuffs, there are examples of this. read the Deipnosophistai sometime.

Lykourgos posted:

classical philosophers and nobility did endorse quality foodstuffs, there are examples of this. read the Deipnosophistai sometime.

'did' being the notable phrase

face it Sir rappers are the new nobility

Now such like words or deeds wherein nothing further is sought than the soul's delight, are called playful or humorous. Hence it is necessary at times to make use of them, in order to give rest, as it were, to the soul. This is in agreement with the statement of the Philosopher (Ethic. iv, 8) that "in the intercourse of this life there is a kind of rest that is associated with games": and consequently it is sometimes necessary to make use of such things.

here is the second most famous of Christ's trolls:

Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith to him: We have found him of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets did write, Jesus the son of Joseph of Nazareth.

And Nathanael said to him: Can any thing of good come from Nazareth? Philip saith to him: Come and see. Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him: and he saith of him: Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom there is no guile. Nathanael saith to him: Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered, and said to him: Before that Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee. Nathanael answered him, and said: Rabbi, thou art the Son of God, thou art the King of Israel. Jesus answered, and said to him: Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the fig tree, thou believest: greater things than these shalt thou see.

[account deactivated]
you're not much like that clown tpaine
perhaps you feel the troll of Christ within you??

'did' being the notable phrase

face it Sir rappers are the new nobility

endorsing terrible American foodstuffs isn't an aspect of nobility. neither is being applauded for singing a song. being unknown to, or disdained by, the commoners isn't a disqualification, either; see Aristeides.

There isn't anything to debate here.

England was great when it generally smelled like pig shit and was primarily supplying flanders with wool coats.
Are we talking French England or mud England here
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
all musicians turn to shit once they start having legitimate children

deadken posted:

yeezus isn't very good

yeezus has chief keef crooning over a young chop beat on it so on that count alone its better than the majority of music that exists, probably.

http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Cowboys+And+Niggers/492YB0?src=5
Yeezus is cool if you don't really listen to music and don't realize he's ripped off a different underground artist on each track.

RBC posted:

Yeezus is cool if you don't really listen to music and don't realize he's ripped off a different underground artist on each track.

i cant believe i am going to write another post defending a f*cking kanye west album but this junk is almost as insufferable as dudes who discovered rap thanks to his illustrious masterpiece mbdtf or whatever. yeezus isn't even a significant aesthetic departure from what ye was doing 5 years ago. like we're going to talk about distorted 808s & bit reduced toms & string synths & square wave bloops as ripping off the ""underground"" as if he hadnt pulled from that exact formula 2 albums ago?

or like, pretending sonic reductiveness & abrasion somehow cant be cultivated indigenously even tho those are the primary touchstones of probably the most institutionally revered hip-hop producer on this planet, whose hand is all over the album. like, a record rick rubin worked on is somehow full of agressive drum machines and minimalist synth ornamentation, what precious bedroom beatmaker did he rip that shit off? give me a break

& is pretty bizarre seeing accusations of ""ripping off"" ""the underground"" when evian christ of all people, not to menton benji b and that cornball from salem, worked on the record. i have no idea what underground artists youre thinking about in your weird lil head but im guessing its some witch house shit or future whatever bass or white boy "trap" or whatever other stunted imitation of music rap producers were making 4 years ago. either way i am 300% certain young chop is a more exciting & worthwhile producer than whatever artists youre talking about combined, and he has a beat on yeezus and it slays

it sounds more like a exploration of the direction he was heading with 808s with rick rubin playing an executive role and somewhat in conversation with the aesthetics of what else is happening in chicago right now than anything else, probably because thats what it is. the beats on the first half are basically immaculate

kanye is a genuinely terrible rapper tho so most of that isnt worth anything cause you cant listen to him without cringing. but it has like 8 bars of chief keef and a decent king louie verse, which makes it better than anything you lames listen to. in an alternate universe where ye just took a producers seat and gave the album to nicki minaj instead, it's the greatest album of the decade

i unironically fell asleep like 3 times listening to the jay-z album. heres a song thats better than anything on either of them

salem rulse

blinkandwheeze posted:

RBC posted:

i cant believe i am going to write another post defending a f*cking kanye west album but this junk is almost as insufferable as dudes who discovered rap thanks to his illustrious masterpiece mbdtf or whatever. yeezus isn't even a significant aesthetic departure from what ye was doing 5 years ago. like we're going to talk about distorted 808s & bit reduced toms & string synths & square wave bloops as ripping off the ""underground"" as if he hadnt pulled from that exact formula 2 albums ago?

or like, pretending sonic reductiveness & abrasion somehow cant be cultivated indigenously even tho those are the primary touchstones of probably the most institutionally revered hip-hop producer on this planet, whose hand is all over the album. like, a record rick rubin worked on is somehow full of agressive drum machines and minimalist synth ornamentation, what precious bedroom beatmaker did he rip that shit off? give me a break

& is pretty bizarre seeing accusations of ""ripping off"" ""the underground"" when evian christ of all people, not to menton benji b and that cornball from salem, worked on the record. i have no idea what underground artists youre thinking about in your weird lil head but im guessing its some witch house shit or future whatever bass or white boy "trap" or whatever other stunted imitation of music rap producers were making 4 years ago. either way i am 300% certain young chop is a more exciting & worthwhile producer than whatever artists youre talking about combined, and he has a beat on yeezus and it slays

it sounds more like a exploration of the direction he was heading with 808s with rick rubin playing an executive role and somewhat in conversation with the aesthetics of what else is happening in chicago right now than anything else, probably because thats what it is. the beats on the first half are basically immaculate

kanye is a genuinely terrible rapper tho so most of that isnt worth anything cause you cant listen to him without cringing. but it has like 8 bars of chief keef and a decent king louie verse, which makes it better than anything you lames listen to. in an alternate universe where ye just took a producers seat and gave the album to nicki minaj instead, it's the greatest album of the decade

i unironically fell asleep like 3 times listening to the jay-z album. heres a song thats better than anything on either of them

blinkandwheeze posted:

RBC posted:

[account deactivated]
rap feelings
chief keef feat. redfiesta