ya
whoa this is a kewl thread; gonna reply to some stuff on the train ride tomorrow
[account deactivated]

Tsargon posted:
if the American consumer still had some blood in him, i dont think we would be in this depression.

the hilarious thing about this is that consumption expenditures have actually remained up pretty high but a) it's being concentrated and redirected towards luxuries and b) they count the stupidest fucking shit as consumption expenditures.

in the Grundrisse, Marx distinguishes between productive consumption (progress of productive forces) and consumptive production (Malthus), but his materialist dialectics didn't allow for a Hegelian identity of consumption with itself, aided by the national accounts developed in the 1930's where everything appears as productive: http://www.bea.gov/national/nipaweb/TableView.asp?SelectedTable=35&Freq=Qtr&FirstYear=2009&LastYear=2011

wrote most of this on the train this morning so sorry if its a lil bit loopy haha

infrateal posted:

dm posted:
"Financial markets are skeptical that unelected technocrats will have the political clout to impose unpopular reforms, the two-year-old debt crisis risks engulfing the entire currency bloc and hurting global growth. "

it's operating purely on instinct now. contradictions heightening, etc.

what im wondering is to what extent capital acting baldly on national interests without political intermediaries, capital decoupled from the nation, can be sustained when the application of force is still so thoroughly a nationalist asset.

VERY GOOD KQUESTION IMHO

what i mean is that in the past capital has controlled the state and the state has controlled force and this is ultimately the tool which extracts value. in the current crisis, with this "technocrat" stuff especially its as if there is an attempt at stripping the administrative middleman down to a skeleton with a bludgeon, all the human functions flensed from the political with the exception of those that enable more efficient extraction. but its those other functions that make the government palatable to the governed and "politics is the art of the possible" and these skeleton dudes are not exactly artists.

further, while international financial collusion is nothing new the deterritorialization of capital has increased such that its not exactly collusion between the capitalist classes of different countries but the action of fundamentally transnational entities; so instead of american banks coordinating with italian banks there is Goldman Sachs. heres part of a kinda disjointed essay by Sakai that im getting some of this idea from:

http://www.kersplebedeb.com/mystuff/texts/mcantiwar.html

Globalization is taking a crow bar to the old capitalist class structure, that’s for sure. The relationship between big capital - world banks and transnational corporations - and their former home nations and former subject classes is splintering. The growth in the economy is in these transnational corporations, who are constantly churning and shifting economic relationships - bankrupting many smaller capitalists and farmers and entire local economies. So smaller local bourgeoisie and petit-bourgeoisie are now trying to recapture their “abandoned” regions and neo-colonies, and are starting “anti-imperialist” campaigns and wars of morphed nationalism against global imperialism. These struggles -- which everywhere attract mass support from the dispossessed male classes -- can range politically from neo-fascist and clerical fascist to the authoritarian left, but are usually far right. These are intra-capitalist wars of local capitalist insurgencies trying to win back control of “their” nations from the Great Powers.

i dont entirely agree with the trend of reaction being overarchingly fascist (i dont think the arab spring had happened when this was written) but i do agree that its a significant component, and i thoroughly agree with the nationalist element.

so what i see is an attempt by capital to extract more directly with less civic middle management interfering and diverting profit, yet i don't see any sort of corresponding restructuring of police and military assets out of the governmental sphere. immediately before that paragraph from sakai is one criticizing negri & hardt's notion of a single transnational (Imperial) capitalist class by saying the actual situation is more like a flux of independent yet communicating fragments,

Not one unified world empire but for the next period “anarcho-capitalism” as a new order of disorder. Not one world mega-nation but many more small states, semi-autonomous areas and many, many more armies and para-military mafias

capitalism as a network of fruiting bodies on the mycetozoa of state... as capital spawns, it lingers overhead like lil Laputas, feeding on, and inflating, on the rotting earth...

now clearly theres some increase in this (eg xe) but im not sure there's been ENOUGH. it's as if they're trying to up the level of extraction past the politically possible without taking into account that it is ultimately physical, personal force that enables this and the instruments of physical force are still an organ of the civic/political apparatus they are sapping, a nationalist organ when there is a strong nationalist reaction against them. switching out the generals like they did in greece is great, but the military itself is not a general that can be switched.

In the immediate aftermath of the first OWS SF crackdown i read an article (which theres no way i can find again with wddp down sorry) talking about how disastrous it was for the city, in terms of publicity / cost / and the fact that police morale was thoroughly sapped -- the city police were augmented with other (county i think) forces which were apparently largely responsible for starting the violence, the administration distanced itself from the action, the cops were basically forced to take the repercussions of something they didnt particularly want to do in the first place.

It went on to suggest that police morale in some cities could break before the protesters do; i thought this was overly optimistic considering increasing DHS coordination and of coruse outside forces can be rotated in. But what i'm thinking is that there is an affinity between capital and the state and between the state and the actual individual agents of force, but there is no direct affinity between capital and these agents, and one of the contradictions which could be heightening is that with the withering of the state as intermediary the agents are being controlled by an interest they have no affinity for, whereas the movements they are tasked to act against have a nationalist cast to which there is a militaristic affinity.

this is a really great post and a really great point. imo the morale issue will get only worse. even with bussing and rotation schedules, it is an unavoidable fact that for every cop bustin' OWS heads that is a cop not patrolling his beat, and not doing good for his community. eventually overall crime will increase - if it hasn't already - in the affected areas. I mean, sure there are some sadists out there having a grand ole' time, but, at least as far as what law and order tells me (and that's the only tv show my hotel seems show), most cops become cops because they want to do a little bit of good in the world. I heard a story here on the news the other day about how some teenaged rape victim here in Tiny Cup Town had to wait 5 hours at a precinct to file a report on her rape because all the damn cops were staring down peaceniks at the park. and all this pretense and fancy gear has a monetary cost, too; police might be flush with overtime right now, but I wouldn't be half surprised if this extra payout wasn't even half accounted-for in ever dwindling city budgets.

however, while I think your idea of non-transitive affiliation is essentially correct, i think it may only be a transitive affliction. (GET IT? I MADE A FUNNY HAH HAH HAH - SPLINTER FROM THE TEENAGED MUTANT NINJA TURTLES MOVIE) there may indeed come a moment of critical weakness in which the police state does collapse and the people can trample capital underfoot, but, it will be a fleeting moment. and if it is not seized, capital will quickly expand to fill in the gap.

let me explain what i mean here in a really elaborate and overly complicated manner: (but also sort of gives my answer to the question you posed in your first paragraph): when i say "capital will expand", or going back to those moldy cups, a sort "corpuscal inflation," i'm talking about corporate expansion along horizontal, vertical, and, uh... depthual and massual? [1] dimensions, with dimensionality in this case relating to its control of some kind of market. corporate entities do think in terms of markets, after all, and therefore they operate in terms of markets too. in other words, if corporate consciousness is embedded in markets, then therefore a corporate body moves/grows (sort of the same thing; the better word is "integrates") in terms of markets. and, although a corporation may have a plan to grow in a particular direction in a particular way, there will be, in the same way as a slime mold, natural growth in every direction that there is freedom to move.

its easier to give a basis in terms of extremes; for "horizontal" movement and growth, recall that a horizontally-integrated (HI) monopoly is one that controls a given market by owning the whole market. you wanta da stuff, you buya da stuff from da stuff monopoly, because you ain't got no udder choice to choose. the classic example of a horizontally integrated monopoly, is of course Standard Oil with respect to fuel, while a more recent example is Microsoft w/ operating systems, particularly in the late 90s and early 00s. with a bigger market share, the horizontal integrator is able to make more money in absolute terms, and thus overwhelm the profit of its smaller competitors.

a vertically-integrated (VI) monopoly, on the other hand, is one that dominates a market by streamlining/synergizing all steps of production process, cutting out inefficiency and middle-men to the point that their competition literally can no longer compete. (the classic example here being Carneige Steel, which owned the iron mines, the coal mines, the smelter, the mills, etc. p.s. upvote this post if you understand this process because of playing dwarf fortress). (in this case, the difference in energy between a competitor and the vertical-integrator is used to increase its share in the market until takeover is complete).

in either case, once the monopoly controls the market, the price is no longer pinned to any kind of rational point (i.e. its value, in a Marxian sense, were it in a market of perfect competition), but rather "floats" at the whim of the monopolist. prices and profits become a question of power. and, you know, you can expand either direction along an axis; with VI, for instance, one can expand forward by opening up distribution centers, and/or backwards through the supply.

so, besides HI and VI, there is in fact two other ways for the corporate superstructural xenovirus to expand in its influence and power, and that's along a <-- political —-> and <-- cultural —-> axises. the depthual (DI) and massual (MI) axises. hopefully this doesn't sound too weird. governments grant and/or claim monopoly over common resources and services all teh time, for instance. whether its on the (legal) use of force, makin' sure yer drinkin' water ain't taste like shit, pickin' up your fuckin' garbage, etc, these are all forms of political monopoly. on the other end of scale, you've got patents and copyrights. but of course, one doesn't need to have a a monopoly to gain benefits from DI; you can see all kinds of companies going buck wild with it right now ever since Citizens United. you can kinda think of DI as kind of a complementary undercurrent of HI, where expanding political power can net the same effect as expanding influence in the undermarket.

in contrast, MI is essentially the dark complement of VI. it is easiest to see cultural monopolies in the form of state (or de-facto state) religions. these tended to happen naturally, of course, but in modern times we've brilliantly invented the super kewl ass technologies called "propaganda" and "marketing," which, especially amplified through mass-computing, allows a more directed form of massual integration. apple might be a good example of a cultural monopoly, or at least a semi- cultural monopoly. they may not necessarily control the majority of sales in the bougie electronics markets, but whatever they put out today is what everybody's buying and everybody else'll try to copy a year or two later. that, to me, points to significant control of an undermarket.

now my point to this is that as the state and the nation continue to rot and decay, new spaces will open free for capital to naturally expand into the gaps. in some cases, conscious efforts like XE, but in the more general case, we're going to see more institutions structured like Google, where employees eat at Google restaurants, and send their kids to Google schools, and work out at Google gyms, are treated at Google health centers, and are protected by Google security. livin' the Google life, in other words.

so........................................ if the state and the nation eventually become so brittle as to collapse completely, or perhaps remain as but a vestigial organ of a much more powerful conglomerate, what will there be left? its lookin’ to me like the corporations of today will *become* the new, smaller states and semi-autonomous areas of the future... and have their own armies and para-military mafias.

[1] what words describe movement along a z-axis and density? lemme go with depthual and massual for now, since while this isn't really a "thing," i find this line of thought necessary to describe my conspiracy theory here & these two sound the kewlest.

Edited by germanjoey ()

all that stuff is rent-seeking really, and I don't see centralized international structures holding together that well once capital is no longer able to naturally reproduce. the social surplus will shrink and the amount of profit left won't sustain industrial-capitalist class power against the various rentiers, who are aligned with monopolists anyway

there is the land, and the humans who work it. the humans that work get subsistence plus the level necessary to maintain whatever social relations they're in, and the rest goes to the owners, the holders of military power. that's the normal way human agricultural civilization works, and this recent nonsense where profit income is able to expand and assert its class interests against the state is a temporary blip caused by the discovery of fossil fuels and the New World, and the subsequent protracted ballooning of the surplus over hundreds of years is all that has allowed the bourgeoisie to emerge from the unending conflict between the rulers and the commons. the struggle of the peasant against the landlord is a roiling sea that never becomes still, but the world-historic ascendance of the bourgeoisie is merely the bubbles on the surface that form when some ancient beast lets out a dying fart and a column of methane bubbles floats up and out before dissipating into the atmosphere. we're going back to feudalism, one way or another
feudalism is preferred by 9 out of 10 rhizzones
depthual and massual just make it sound like you have a lisp tbh....

tam posted:
all that stuff is rent-seeking really, and I don't see centralized international structures holding together that well once capital is no longer able to naturally reproduce. the social surplus will shrink and the amount of profit left won't sustain industrial-capitalist class power against the various rentiers, who are aligned with monopolists anyway

there is the land, and the humans who work it. the humans that work get subsistence plus the level necessary to maintain whatever social relations they're in, and the rest goes to the owners, the holders of military power. that's the normal way human agricultural civilization works, and this recent nonsense where profit income is able to expand and assert its class interests against the state is a temporary blip caused by the discovery of fossil fuels and the New World, and the subsequent protracted ballooning of the surplus over hundreds of years is all that has allowed the bourgeoisie to emerge from the unending conflict between the rulers and the commons. the struggle of the peasant against the landlord is a roiling sea that never becomes still, but the world-historic ascendance of the bourgeoisie is merely the bubbles on the surface that form when some ancient beast lets out a dying fart and a column of methane bubbles floats up and out before dissipating into the atmosphere. we're going back to feudalism, one way or another

i agree that we're moving back to a form of feudalism (a form of schizo-feudalism), but it is absolutely ridiculous to assert that human civilization is still in essense agricultural. who the fuck farms anymore? if anything, you could claim that the major project of the human race over the 10000 years to get as many fucking people away from a farm as possible! this is in fact the crowning achievement of the bourgeoisie!

aerdil posted:
depthual and massual just make it sound like you have a lisp tbh....

no you do.

germanjoey posted:
i agree that we're moving back to a form of feudalism (a form of schizo-feudalism), but it is absolutely ridiculous to assert that human civilization is still in essense agricultural. who the fuck farms anymore? if anything, you could claim that the major project of the human race over the 10000 years to get as many fucking people away from a farm as possible! this is in fact the crowning achievement of the bourgeoisie!

yep and that achievement is completely transitory and oil-dependent. sedentary monocropping is the foundation of the modern corporate state in the same way that sedentary monocropping has been the foundation of every state that's ever existed. that there are many fewer people doing it and urban leftists don't have to think about it doesn't mean that it isn't the foundation of the economy

germanjoey posted:
[1] what words describe movement along a z-axis and density? lemme go with depthual and massual for now, since while this isn't really a "thing," i find this line of thought necessary to describe my conspiracy theory here & these two sound the kewlest.

you might want to consider going beyond Euclidean space too. here is a real life example in the kind of context you're talking about:

In the midst of a discussion of long range planning issues, this last January, one regent asked: What percentage of the University’s bills are paid for by the state, and have we made any projections about where that number is going to? The President of our University answered, “It is almost linear, Regent Moores, and it goes asymptotically to zero.” I wrote to President Dynes asking him to provide the data to substantiate that doomsday scenario, but he did not answer me; and the most official data I have seen (Dynes’ letter to the regents 3/11/05) contradicts his description.

lol at this noob posting historical teleologies

germanjoey posted:

sure I think we won't go back to having most people doing agricultural labor, but people will be tied to the land again, or to some other fixed asset, probably through something involving debt, and agriculture will be responsible for much of the dynamic. it's a matter of the inevitability of agriculture returning to a labor-intensive form as the energy cost of mechanical and chemical inputs goes up, which causes long-term problems for capital in a similar way to how the Corn Laws were temporary problems for English capital in particular way back. if value is denominated in labor and the labor cost of food shoots through the roof, the value of the present surplus becomes unrealizable and future surpluses are significantly diminished as labor leaves other sectors to return to agriculture. any period of persistent falling agricultural productivity will make free labor less and less affordable to capitalists, and thus we can expect that most future factory work will be done by debt slaves, chattel slaves, and various other forms of unfree labor (possibly we'll see a return of local monopoly company scrip once Pentagon Scrip collapses?)

capitalism "worked" because, under certain conditions of massive unrealized potential, the reduction of economic decision-making to a cost-benefit calculation allows surpluses to balloon rapidly in such a way that the decision-maker who recognized the potential is rewarded, rather than simply whomever holds a claim to the property through the state. that class then fought the landowners for political dominance and eliminated various rents, which then went back into the surplus to be divided between profit and wage. the process eventually led us to our present point, where we expect that we are now staring down a long catastrophe rather than a wealth of further potential. rentier interests have re-emerged and re-organized through finance, and the unchecked result will be the re-capture of the surplus by asset rent. the road to serfdom is as simple as the capitalists getting rich and monopolistic enough to forget that they used to consider rents "unearned" in classical political economy. so once again we are faced with the choice of 1) organization of society around the management of common resources and production of public wealth, and 2) domination of society by military power and asset rents. the form is uncertain, but the struggle never really goes away. communalism or vassalage only temporarily appears as socialism or barbarism (or neo-barbarism, fascism) in human society as a result of fleeting pressures

future forms of power look to be difficult to predict effects from, especially secret information technologies related to surveillance and drones and biometrics. maybe they'll figure out ways to keep us atomized and alienated well past the end of the liberal age?

massive deurbanization of exploitative empires has happened before just saying. the wealthy are fleeing from the cities and building up the "new apartheids" so that when the collapse occurs they will have their little fotresses within which we can work and feel safe and cared for. w00t cant wait. just spitballing here.

tam posted:

germanjoey posted:

sure I think we won't go back to having most people doing agricultural labor, but people will be tied to the land again, or to some other fixed asset, probably through something involving debt, and agriculture will be responsible for much of the dynamic. it's a matter of the inevitability of agriculture returning to a labor-intensive form as the energy cost of mechanical and chemical inputs goes up, which causes long-term problems for capital in a similar way to how the Corn Laws were temporary problems for English capital in particular way back. if value is denominated in labor and the labor cost of food shoots through the roof, the value of the present surplus becomes unrealizable and future surpluses are significantly diminished as labor leaves other sectors to return to agriculture. any period of persistent falling agricultural productivity will make free labor less and less affordable to capitalists, and thus we can expect that most future factory work will be done by debt slaves, chattel slaves, and various other forms of unfree labor (possibly we'll see a return of local monopoly company scrip once Pentagon Scrip collapses?)

capitalism "worked" because, under certain conditions of massive unrealized potential, the reduction of economic decision-making to a cost-benefit calculation allows surpluses to balloon rapidly in such a way that the decision-maker who recognized the potential is rewarded, rather than simply whomever holds a claim to the property through the state. that class then fought the landowners for political dominance and eliminated various rents, which then went back into the surplus to be divided between profit and wage. the process eventually led us to our present point, where we expect that we are now staring down a long catastrophe rather than a wealth of further potential. rentier interests have re-emerged and re-organized through finance, and the unchecked result will be the re-capture of the surplus by asset rent. the road to serfdom is as simple as the capitalists getting rich and monopolistic enough to forget that they used to consider rents "unearned" in classical political economy. so once again we are faced with the choice of 1) organization of society around the management of common resources and production of public wealth, and 2) domination of society by military power and asset rents. the form is uncertain, but the struggle never really goes away. communalism or vassalage only temporarily appears as socialism or barbarism (or neo-barbarism, fascism) in human society as a result of fleeting pressures

future forms of power look to be difficult to predict effects from, especially secret information technologies related to surveillance and drones and biometrics. maybe they'll figure out ways to keep us atomized and alienated well past the end of the liberal age?

agreed. as said before, the American mortgage market is the biggest market on the planet, and if the American economy really collapses then it would see such a value downgrade that every major bank would collapse. therefore, it wont, cant, happen.

the value of American real-estate, no matter what happens, must be maintained at a certain minimum level in the same way russian aristocrats needed to maintain the untrammeled power of the tsar. if this means shifting the American economy to labor-intensive industry and agriculture then so be it, but *mr potter voice* the loans must be paid

Haha this agricultural-debt axis is excellent news for maoists everywhere. I don.t think there's anything with more radical potential than formerly-urbanite peasant peons workin the fixed debt in the ocean of the People. Crude genetic engineering and non-sentient machines will just make it so fleeting pressures will flux like erratic kamikazes
[account deactivated]

shennong posted:
yep and that achievement is completely transitory and oil-dependent. sedentary monocropping is the foundation of the modern corporate state in the same way that sedentary monocropping has been the foundation of every state that's ever existed. that there are many fewer people doing it and urban leftists don't have to think about it doesn't mean that it isn't the foundation of the economy

ok, there is a particular assumption i've seen in a number of your posts relating to agriculture, namely Ricardo's theory of rent that postulated diminishing returns to agriculture (which helped in getting the Corn Laws removed). this is incorrect, as was known to both Marx and the American protectionists.

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1863/theories-surplus-value/ch12.htm#s3b

...the incorrectness of the Ricardian concept that differential rent depends on the diminishing productivity of labour, on the movement from the more productive mine or land to the less productive. It is just as compatible with the reverse process and hence with the growing productivity of labour. Whether the one or the other takes place has nothing to do with the nature and existence of differential rent but is a historical question.

so yes there is agribusiness and everything, but it is tremendously inefficient. the most basic energy required for agriculture comes from that whole photosynthesis thing. on a chemical level, that was what enabled the generation of any economic surplus whatsoever to happen in the first place. the rise of Sumer and Akkad was due not to oil, but to the development of an administrative system and technology.

in that light, we can talk about "staple crops" rather than "monocropping" because of the whole increasing productivity in agriculture thing. export monocultures are a product of historical conditions leading to trade dependency.

tam posted:
it's a matter of the inevitability of agriculture returning to a labor-intensive form as the energy cost of mechanical and chemical inputs goes up, which causes long-term problems for capital in a similar way to how the Corn Laws were temporary problems for English capital in particular way back.

the labor-intensity issue is more of a division of labor thing. like if everything was reorganized in terms of a balance between agriculture and industry, it would take less labor time overall. that was where Ricardo's theory of rent came in: repealing the Corn Laws and opening England up to agricultural imports would free up more labor for industrial production to produce exports on even more beneficial terms of trade (known then and now as Free Trade).

tam posted:
if value is denominated in labor and the labor cost of food shoots through the roof, the value of the present surplus becomes unrealizable and future surpluses are significantly diminished as labor leaves other sectors to return to agriculture.

that's actually where the origin of the theory of land rent comes from because it was labor time as measured by the wage. if you go back to the Physiocrats, the reasoning is fucking hilarious. they observed that there was a wage level below which labor could not reproduce itself and concluded this represented rent paid to the land for the soil fertility with workers as sort of intermediaries.

in this case, the trick is the discrepancy between the time necessary to reproduce labor and the time necessary to reproduce capital. because soil fertility is a complete freebie (organic composition of capital), there isn't much surplus-value to extract because of the higher value composition of capital in industrial production.

tam posted:
any period of persistent falling agricultural productivity will make free labor less and less affordable to capitalists, and thus we can expect that most future factory work will be done by debt slaves, chattel slaves, and various other forms of unfree labor (possibly we'll see a return of local monopoly company scrip once Pentagon Scrip collapses?)

i think debt slavery in agriculture is more likely because industry would have to shrink if agricultural productivity fell. there's also a lot of historical precedent for it and a really thin line between renting someone a place to live on your property and them becoming part of your estate.

tam posted:
that class then fought the landowners for political dominance and eliminated various rents, which then went back into the surplus to be divided between profit and wage. the process eventually led us to our present point, where we expect that we are now staring down a long catastrophe rather than a wealth of further potential. rentier interests have re-emerged and re-organized through finance, and the unchecked result will be the re-capture of the surplus by asset rent.

this is actually a really interesting issue that hasn't been dealt with enough. landed property was certainly subdued, but never completely disappeared, it just sort of disappeared from most analysis in the twentieth century. the thing about finance is that you can just acquire land through encouraging asset bubbles since the loans cost you nothing to produce. when they pop, the borrower forfeits the property pledged as security for the loan to you without you ever having to pay for it

Edited by dm ()

Also, I wonder that due to the radical tradition of the middle classes, this asymptotic shedding of the middle classes from rent alleviation and impositions of new debt conditions will spark the conditions for massive conflagration beyond the reach of the cities (ie. Favelas, exurbs, peripheral villages, slums) due to the fanning out of the former middle class, like disgraced prometheus

Crow posted:
Also, I wonder that due to the radical tradition of the middle classes, this asymptotic shedding of the middle classes from rent alleviation and impositions of new debt conditions will spark the conditions for massive conflagration beyond the reach of the cities (ie. Favelas, exurbs, peripheral villages, slums) due to the fanning out of the former middle class, like disgraced prometheus

i think it's possible because enforcement depends on the state. that asymptotic trend also makes it more difficult for the state, media, pop culture, etc. to represent middle class subjects: http://adage.com/article/adagestat/marketing-era-redistributed-wealth/149059/

[account deactivated]

dm posted:
ok, there is a particular assumption i've seen in a number of your posts relating to agriculture, namely Ricardo's theory of rent that postulated diminishing returns to agriculture (which helped in getting the Corn Laws removed). this is incorrect, as was known to both Marx and the American protectionists.

i think you've misread me- i'm not talking about diminishing returns or the efficiency of agricultural labour. i was responding to joeys' comment that society is no longer agricultural because there are few people doing it (around 1% in north america for instance). this is achievable because energy-intensive, oil-based products have substituted for labour in agriculture. it's not possible to have an agroecology anywhere near as productive as we have in the west with as little labour as we use without the substitution of, for instance, pesticides for manual cultivation, or combine harvesters for manual harvesting and threshing. this arrangement is inherently transitory (unless you're an energy cornucopian i guess) and conceals our dependence on agriculture. i dunno, maybe i haven't understood your point though.

dm posted:
so yes there is agribusiness and everything, but it is tremendously inefficient. the most basic energy required for agriculture comes from that whole photosynthesis thing. on a chemical level, that was what enabled the generation of any economic surplus whatsoever to happen in the first place. the rise of Sumer and Akkad was due not to oil, but to the development of an administrative system and technology.

i wasn't implying that ancient states were reliant on cheap energy, but rather that the particular form of subsistence routine modern corporate states rely on is very similar in many respects and we are just as dependent on it- we are just as "agricultural" as any historical state in that respect

dm posted:
in that light, we can talk about "staple crops" rather than "monocropping" because of the whole increasing productivity in agriculture thing. export monocultures are a product of historical conditions leading to trade dependency.

this comment is pretty interesting actually because it reveals quite a bit about the way you're thinking about agriculture, i think mostly from a formal economics perspective? "sedentary monocropping" is in no way interchangeable with "staple crops" unless you're thinking about agriculture as a unit process and plants as interchangeable products destined for a market rather than a specific type of agroecology and specific organisms with specific effects on subsistence routines and social organisation. sedentary monocropping is the specific type of agroecology that states prefer because it promotes appropriation and control- even sedentary polycropping is a complete nightmare for taxation for instance. to give you another example, cassava is a staple crop whose cultivation is routinely banned by states with fugitive populations because it can be cultivated in a way that is almost totally invisible to the state and completely impossible to appropriate absent massive manpower scouring forests for individual cassava tubers. im going to have a thread about this soon so i hope you can be there and talk more about the formal economic aspects of this tsuff maybe!! i am sorry for using this thread to Build Hype by using terminology from my future thread

dm posted:
the thing about finance is that you can just acquire land through encouraging asset bubbles since the loans cost you nothing to produce. when they pop, the borrower forfeits the property pledged as security for the loan to you without you ever having to pay for it

you know you have a great economy when the people who are granted the privilege to create money from nothing & then stand to benefit no matter what way that money is used, still manage to fuck things up so thoroughly

shennong posted:
i think you've misread me- i'm not talking about diminishing returns or the efficiency of agricultural labour. i was responding to joeys' comment that society is no longer agricultural because there are few people doing it (around 1% in north america for instance). this is achievable because energy-intensive, oil-based products have substituted for labour in agriculture. it's not possible to have an agroecology anywhere near as productive as we have in the west with as little labour as we use without the substitution of, for instance, pesticides for manual cultivation, or combine harvesters for manual harvesting and threshing. this arrangement is inherently transitory (unless you're an energy cornucopian i guess) and conceals our dependence on agriculture. i dunno, maybe i haven't understood your point though.

oh, i'm not contesting the fact that we are dependent on agriculture. the misunderstanding was probably based on labor actually being a physiological expenditure of the energy that comes from agriculture at some point and that this historically preceded all of the capital-intensive methods. moreover, the capital equipment requires raw materials and the people making it need to be fed as well. the commodity form conceals our dependence on it.

shennong posted:
this comment is pretty interesting actually because it reveals quite a bit about the way you're thinking about agriculture, i think mostly from a formal economics perspective? "sedentary monocropping" is in no way interchangeable with "staple crops" unless you're thinking about agriculture as a unit process and plants as interchangeable products destined for a market rather than a specific type of agroecology and specific organisms with specific effects on subsistence routines and social organisation. sedentary monocropping is the specific type of agroecology that states prefer because it promotes appropriation and control- even sedentary polycropping is a complete nightmare for taxation for instance. to give you another example, cassava is a staple crop whose cultivation is routinely banned by states with fugitive populations because it can be cultivated in a way that is almost totally invisible to the state and completely impossible to appropriate absent massive manpower scouring forests for individual cassava tubers. im going to have a thread about this soon so i hope you can be there and talk more about the formal economic aspects of this tsuff maybe!! i am sorry for using this thread to Build Hype by using terminology from my future thread

that's actually the perspective i thought i was hearing, which is why i misread you. looking at what economists say about Mao will give you a good idea of the mindset: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Leap_Forward#Impact_on_economy

as for your thread, the most interesting stuff is over a century old. there's Marx, but one of the American protectionists i mentioned is also really fascinating with energy (just check out the first chapter). they had a doctrine of balancing industry and agriculture so Marx used to troll them to try to make them see the light of communism.

i would be interested in that thread though because of a bunch of other stuff that's not usually regarded as "economics" as such, like those issues with taxing

dm posted:
they had a doctrine of balancing industry and agriculture so Marx used to troll them to try to make them see the light of communism.

thanks, this really clears up the question of Marx and India/Asian mode of production

lol that marxtrolling owns

xipe posted:
you know you have a great economy when the people who are granted the privilege to create money from nothing & then stand to benefit no matter what way that money is used, still manage to fuck things up so thoroughly

and now they want it back:

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/f5be4678-1693-11e1-be1d-00144feabdc0.html

Personal banking, like lunch, is not free. That there is a price tag attached to what may seem a most generous invitation has become a truism. Yet the myth that banks are offering retail customers something for nothing persists to a degree that would be puzzling even if bankers were seen as national treasures.

they just go all out with the audacity because it's all they have

Andrew Bailey, banking regulation supremo, is the latest figure to set out the damage done by a business model in which the core product is a loss leader, bringing opacity and distortion in its wake.

There have been plenty of occasions when bankers have sighed privately about how much they would like to end the “free” current account – if only customers wouldn’t desert them if they killed off a product that consumers have come to regard as a basic right.

current account is transactions that are, you know, current

Instead, banks have increasingly sought to guide customers towards fee-charging accounts, laden with benefits ranging from the relevant (some insurance products) to the random (discounts on dance tickets – really?).

But as Mr Bailey points out, low returns in retail banking make the issue more pertinent now. Waiting for customers to see the value of air miles with their accounts looks like too long a haul. Those relying on Sir Richard Branson’s Northern Rock to change the competitive climate should not hold their breath either: it does not intend to provide current accounts until 2013, and even then its offering will be on a small scale.

so much for the "price tag" on the "services"

So it is up to the existing high-street banks to bite the bullet and end the no-charge current account.

Such a switch would require two changes in their practices. First, service standards would have to improve to a point at which customers did not overly resent paying. Second, banks would have to resist the temptation to slap charges on current accounts while continuing with the hefty fees and charges elsewhere that subsidise those accounts at the moment.

It is hard to know which they would find more difficult.

they're trying to generate cash flows to clear the transactions for all of the fictitious capital instead of writing it off as losses. there is far too much to "realize" in this fashion, so something has to give.

anyways, back to the price shit because it's hilarious. this is that Mr. Bailey dude:

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/289a25b0-168c-11e1-bc1d-00144feabdc0.html

The UK’s top banking supervisor has backed higher fees for basic retail services, saying that the current system of “free” accounts has distorted the landscape and led to damaging decisions about what products are available.

“There is of course no such thing as free banking. What it really stands for is that charges are levied inconsistently across products supplied by banks, with the consequence that some appear to be free,” Andrew Bailey, director of banking at the Financial Services Authority, told a conference on the future of retail banking Thursday. “It also leads to what in my view are unhelpful and damaging decisions.”

Noting that many banks subsidised unprofitable or barely profitable mortgage lending before the crisis with improper sales of payment protection insurance, Mr Bailey said opaque pricing had to stop.

“The philosophy should be, give the public what they want but at a fair price which is transparent to them,” said Mr Bailey, who will become deputy head of the new Prudential Regulatory Authority and take responsibilty for supervising banks for safety and soundness when the FSA is broken up.

He also said UK banks should be making contingency plans in case the eurozone collapses. “Good risk management means planning for unlikely but severe scenarios,” he said.

The FSA’s consumer panel has also expressed concerns much like Mr Bailey’s. “There needs to be greater transparency around the true cost of banking to enable consumers to assess whether they are receiving value for money and compare different services,” chairman Adam Phillips said.

if only they had a Theory of Value...

dm posted:

and now they want it back:

[account deactivated]
Talk about "Capitalism without procedures":

Darcy Parmer ran into trouble soon after she started her job as a fraud analyst at Wells Fargo Bank. Her bosses, she later claimed, were upset that she was, well, finding fraud.

Parmer isn’t alone in claiming she was punished for objecting to fraud in the midst of the nation’s home-loan boom. iWatch News has identified 63 former employees at 20 financial institutions who say they were fired or demoted for reporting fraud or refusing to commit fraud. Their stories were disclosed in whistleblower claims with the U.S. Department of Labor, court documents or interviews with iWatch News.

http://www.iwatchnews.org/2011/11/22/7461/whistleblowers-ignored-punished-lenders-dozens-former-employees-say

[account deactivated]

Crow posted:
Talk about "Capitalism without procedures":

Darcy Parmer ran into trouble soon after she started her job as a fraud analyst at Wells Fargo Bank. Her bosses, she later claimed, were upset that she was, well, finding fraud.

Parmer isn’t alone in claiming she was punished for objecting to fraud in the midst of the nation’s home-loan boom. iWatch News has identified 63 former employees at 20 financial institutions who say they were fired or demoted for reporting fraud or refusing to commit fraud. Their stories were disclosed in whistleblower claims with the U.S. Department of Labor, court documents or interviews with iWatch News.

http://www.iwatchnews.org/2011/11/22/7461/whistleblowers-ignored-punished-lenders-dozens-former-employees-say

they're just ensuring the transparency of their products. you don't want to Spook The Markets or cause problems with confidence. seriously, go to http://news.google.com and search for 'spook markets' or 'confidence'

http://seekingalpha.com/article/309136-stock-market-outlook-it-all-comes-down-to-confidence

The sustainability of the banking system is all about confidence. Bank balance sheets are far from transparent. As a result, the confidence of banks to lend to other financial institutions requires a leap of faith. And if markets start to believe that a particular financial institution may be in trouble, liquidity can dry up in a flash and bankruptcy quickly follows. We have to look no further than Bear Stearns, Lehman Brothers, AIG and most recently MF Global to see how suddenly things come undone once confidence is lost.

________/

e: gd, it wont let me embed American Psycho

Edited by dm ()

You're out day trading on a quiet afternoon, just listening to the birds chirp, staring at the sky and daydreaming, when all of sudden the wind blows an old newspaper in your path. Your market immediately jumps up and starts selling, while you hold on for dear life.

Market analysts call this behavior "spooking." Simply put, spooking is a market's natural way of responding to something it perceives as scary or threatening.

"Markets are mediums of exchange that rely on trading as their principal means of defense," explains Eric Clark, an economist in Dundee, Ill. "Anytime they perceive a threat, their natural instinct is to sell everything. They're very skeptical, and prone to panic when faced with new or unfamiliar situations."

Many things can spook a market, from seemingly innocuous objects such as a piece of trash blowing in the wind, the clanging of garbage cans, the flapping of tarps, or the mere sight of puddles, to loud noises such as thunder, trucks, motorcycles or snowmobiles. Depending on a market's level of fear, some spooked markets simply will drop a few points, while others will completely collapse.

A market is even more likely to spook if investment banks anticipate that the market might spook and short-sell as a result, according to Dr. Dean Scoggins, financial writer at the Wall Street Journal. "If your market is afraid of mailboxes and you see a mailbox as you trade and tense up because you think your market is going to spook, it probably will," Scoggins says. "If you're focusing on the mailbox, your market will look at the mailbox, too. It's going to sense your anxiety and figure there must be something in that mailbox, so it better get ready to spook."

The real problem, however, is not so much that your market gets spooked, but how it reacts to its anxiety, says Tracy Porter, a derivatives broker in Milton, Wis. "You can't make a market not be afraid," she says, "but it can learn to control its fears."

If a market spooks, she says that's okay, as long as it doesn't move. But if a market reacts by selling off, that's unacceptable.
ok, this is a really good interview that i can basically model a post on by elaborating and filling in some details:

thirdplace posted:
You're out day trading on a quiet afternoon, just listening to the birds chirp, staring at the sky and daydreaming, when all of sudden the wind blows an old newspaper in your path. Your market immediately jumps up and starts selling, while you hold on for dear life.

Market analysts call this behavior "spooking." Simply put, spooking is a market's natural way of responding to something it perceives as scary or threatening.

"Markets are mediums of exchange that rely on trading as their principal means of defense," explains Eric Clark, an economist in Dundee, Ill. "Anytime they perceive a threat, their natural instinct is to sell everything. They're very skeptical, and prone to panic when faced with new or unfamiliar situations."

Many things can spook a market, from seemingly innocuous objects such as a piece of trash blowing in the wind, the clanging of garbage cans, the flapping of tarps, or the mere sight of puddles, to loud noises such as thunder, trucks, motorcycles or snowmobiles. Depending on a market's level of fear, some spooked markets simply will drop a few points, while others will completely collapse.

A market is even more likely to spook if investment banks anticipate that the market might spook and short-sell as a result, according to Dr. Dean Scoggins, financial writer at the Wall Street Journal. "If your market is afraid of mailboxes and you see a mailbox as you trade and tense up because you think your market is going to spook, it probably will," Scoggins says. "If you're focusing on the mailbox, your market will look at the mailbox, too. It's going to sense your anxiety and figure there must be something in that mailbox, so it better get ready to spook."

The real problem, however, is not so much that your market gets spooked, but how it reacts to its anxiety, says Tracy Porter, a derivatives broker in Milton, Wis. "You can't make a market not be afraid," she says, "but it can learn to control its fears."

If a market spooks, she says that's okay, as long as it doesn't move. But if a market reacts by selling off, that's unacceptable.

$100tn in new derivatives, freshly hedged in the last 6 months

hello future self, sorry i spent this time watching the inverted pyramid collapse instead of stocking up on gold + catfood
ran over this again while doing My Research. it's a speech by (former) ECB President Jean-Claude Trichet. this is what i mean by the "eternal return" thing (at least the European version of it):

Each generation needs to affirm its commitment to Europe.

For the generation that lived through the Second World War, Europe was essential to prevent a return to the depression and the horrors of that war.

For the generation after, Europe was the cornerstone of building prosperity through economic freedom and open markets.

For the current generation, these achievements are taken for granted. Citizens have new concerns.

They want to be told why European unity is more important than ever in the present globalised world to ensure peace and security; why the European Union is vital to ensure and promote the interests of the European nations; why the European economies and societies are much more interdependent today than immediately after World War II; and how these interests and this interdependence should be best governed.

he goes on to selectively draw from Europe's philosophical heritage (mostly the German parts). he makes an excellent selection based on his aims, if not its own context, with Husserl:

Let me give you two complementary readings of Europe’s cultural unity.

The first is the vision of Husserl in his famous Vienna lecture of May 1935. He sees the origin of the spiritual form of Europe in its philosophical roots. I am quoting: “One can see that it is the starting point of a new kind of community, one which extends beyond nations. It is now no longer a number of different nations living alongside each other and only influencing each other through commercial competition or power struggles, but it is: a new spirit – stemming from philosophy and the sciences based on it – a spirit of free criticism, providing norms for infinite tasks, and it dominates mankind creating new, infinite ideals”.

The second is the vision of Paul Valéry. He stresses the spiritual character of Europe in his essay “l’Européen”. In 1924 he wrote: “Wherever the names Caesar, Gaius, Trajan and Virgil, wherever the names Moises and St. Paul, wherever the names Aristotle, Plato and Euclid have a significance and carry weight, that is where Europe is”. Here in Aachen, I would say wherever the name of Charlemagne carries weight, that is where Europe is.

Particularly in these times of global challenges, of stress, of crisis, such a return to the “spiritual form of Europe” is enlightening.

Husserl concluded his lecture in a visionary way: “Europe’s existential crisis can end in only one of two ways: in its demise (…) lapsing into a hatred of the spirit and into barbarism ; or in its rebirth from the spirit of philosophy, through a heroism of reason (…)”.

that was a lecture given in Vienna that served as the basis of The Crisis of European Sciences, which is where he developed ideas about intersubjectivity. the conclusion is in two paragraphs and he quoted from the second only. here is something more telling from the first:

Let us condense the fundamental notions presented here. The "crisis of European existence," talked about so much today and documented in innumerable symptoms of the break-down of life, is not an obscure fate, an impenetrable destiny; rather, it becomes understandable and transparent against the background of the teleology of European history that can be discovered philosophically. The condition for this understanding, however, is that the phenomenon "Europe" be grasped in its central, essential nucleus...

this "central, essential nucleus" apparently being the EMU as far as Trichet is concerned.

EMU? european monetary union?
im glad that yockeys dream of a united europe is finally coming to pass lmao