the problem isnt the relationship but the lack of returns my dear gooey
At least in grad school you have the chance to do meaningful work. My intern friends are all doing pure bullshit. One guy I know is literally stamping a company's logo on products they get from other places so that they can be marked up and resold. He's only 24 but the two other interns he works with are pushing 30. My friend keeps getting told he's gonna start getting paid...

babyfinland posted:
the problem isnt the relationship but the lack of returns my dear gooey

lmao. uh, ok. in engineering or physics you're gettin paid minimum wage + complete joke healthcare for 5-7 years where you could be commanding 60k-120k salary otherwise for half as many hours worked if you did the same thing as some company. in the humanities, you're gonna be teaching 2-3 classes a week or else *paying* for the privilege to be the workhorse in some proffessor's tenure bid.

swampman posted:
At least in grad school you have the chance to do meaningful work.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Internee vs fucktard Phd learner:

Modnote: PHucktarD? Admins?
when i got locked away at one of those facilities in Utah, you had to get a job at the facility to prove that you were Responsible (compliant/brainwashed). this was kind of bizarre because cash was strictly prohibited because you might be able to use it to escape. what you made--not a lot because they had legal status that enabled them to pay below minimum wage--was kept in an account that they held for you. there was nothing to spend it on because again, the escape thing, except stuff they would do at the facility that they would charge you for.

so it was basically like capitalism on a small enough scale that you can see the whole process at once
[account deactivated]
it was many things. i've mentioned it before but i Don't Like Talking About It. these articles and these videos will give you an idea

Edited by dm ()

TYLER THE KREAT0R
[account deactivated]
thanks, the most i've ever been able to do is make a few relatively short posts in threads other people made about it, but i really appreciate the encouragement

Crow posted:

Internee vs fucktard Phd learner:

Modnote: PHucktarD? Admins?

This. Literally.

I've held jobs in my field for 6 years and my masters program is forcing me to take 1 semester off for an internship.

NounsareVerbs posted:
I've held jobs in my field for 6 years and my masters program is forcing me to take 1 semester off for an internship.

is this in a research-based degree? thats really egregious

[account deactivated]
Education. It's p much impossible to do legitimate research for it but some people do pass off some really terrible tripe as such. I'm doing a long-term afterschool project for my thesis but they're still going to make me take time off working in a public school to intern in a public school - and that's in addition to student teaching requirements. :itisamystery:
[account deactivated]
im glad to say i never applied for any internships
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
send verso 20 bucks maybe they scan it
if its paid thats a little more respectable imo
[account deactivated]

NounsareVerbs posted:
they are a generation of greedy worthless sociopaths that don't know or understand shit is why -

i don't give a flying shit what any old timer who once owned a home or raised a family on one income has to say.

only a tiny percentage of the old fucks are free from their own illusory playground they made at the sacrifice of future generations. they really can't rot soon enough.

I spent 4 years in protracted adolescence reading books about marx's sweaty ballsack, what do you mean I'm not already skilled enough to do this job

crustpunk_trotsky posted:
I spent 4 years in protracted adolescence reading books about marx's sweaty ballsack, what do you mean I'm not already skilled enough to do this job

"job skills"

discipline posted:
it's paid tho, and in my cover letter I'm explaining how that's the only reason I'm applying ahahahah

Employers love to read this.

discipline posted:

shennong posted:
one thing i think is that children of the middle class/bourgeoisie who grow up believing that higher education is pretty much a guaranteed entry point into the elite administrator class have a really difficult time self-identifying as exploited or developing any kind of class consciousness and are therefore not, by and large, a tractable group for labour organisation. i remember talking to a brazilian postdoc at one point about an ongoing effort to get them organised and he was like 'when i think of unions i think of marx' or sth and that seemed to be sufficient reason for him to vote against the union drive, it was really weird

this yes but also the concept of shame. you went to college and can't get a job... are u REALLY gonna just sit around and smoke pot on mom's couch in the basement all day? or are you gonna go sell your labor for NAdA, ZIP, nuthin thereby bringing down the cost of labor overall and setting your peers back as you settle for literally less than zero???

They might be settling for less than nothing in terms of remuneration, and nothing or very little in terms of actually useful work experience and skills, but they are gaining something in terms of perceived employability. Whether employers even see it that way (as shennong notes, employers probably prefer former interns because they are likely to be spineless, not because of their experience) does not really matter as long as the workers believe it to be true. What we have is a prisoner's dilemma-style situation where individuals act selfishly even though it is not the best option, because it is better than individually refusing to do internships while their peers happily comply. As I see it, the only effective action against internships is collective action.

AmericanNazbro posted:

crustpunk_trotsky posted:

"job skills"

all the entry level jobs whose requirement was being able to spell one's own name can pretty much be automated now, why bother hiring 10 clerks when you can pay 1 comp sci nerd who regards unions as an affront to ayn rand's glory

discipline posted:
also does anyone know where to get a pdf of the new verso book, "Intern Nation" ?

chiming in to say i heard really good things about this book

also the inside higher ed article on it is pretty funny
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2011/04/15/unpaid_internships_stir_ethical_and_legal_debate_at_colleges_and_businesses

He also noted that laws prohibiting racial discrimination and sexual harassment do not apply to unpaid interns.

A year ago, after the U.S. Labor Department released guidelines clarifying the requirements that private businesses must meet under federal law when hiring unpaid interns, 13 college presidents protested that the government risked doing more harm than good. The guidelines, which apply a six-part test from the Fair Labor Standards Act, state that such interns must benefit from the job; work under close supervision; not displace regular employees; not provide an “immediate advantage” for the employer and possibly even impede the employer; not necessarily be entitled to a post-internship job; and understand, as should the employer, that he or she is not entitled to wages.

parabolart posted:
this thread is very informative tho. i always wondered about internships but never bothered to do any research. still makes me wonder if there's such a thing as an apprenticeship thees days

when I was young my family had to get a professional to train my dog to not like, be insane, and afterwards the dude asked if I wanted to be his apprentice and clean dog kennels for 6 hours a day. I said no but looking back I think Professional Dog Shit Shoveler would put me ahead of a lot of college grads these days so I kind of regret that.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
when ive applied for jobs it's been like 10-20 apps for every bite so i was more interested in minimizing any negative attention to my cover letter/ resume. hustle up or fade i guess
My dad is a drunk and a narcotics addict who spent the great majority of the family income on drugs who threatened to kick me out every day while I worked myself through school - so yea that's a pretty accurate assessment of my attitude towards older people who whine about the youth.

The assessment of the Disney program is correct - http://cp.disneycareers.com/en/default/

I considered doing this as a way out of my situation and even went to one of their meetings. The kids they had selling the program all creeped me out so I didn't go through with it. Basically they guarantee you a job and board but wont tell you what that job will be or how much you'll actually make after the price of rent.

The kids that were selling it said they spent all their extra cash on Disney products.
Persistence helps. If the same person contacts me for a job several times I am much more likely to consider them even if I was originally unimpressed. Enthusiasm, eagerness, and respect as well. A custom cover letter (only needs to be a few sentences, specifically tailored to the company you are applying to) goes a long way towards showing you give a shit. Lots of people don't bother.
In person is better than a call is better than a letter is better than an email. Best to use all four for any jobs you actually want.
It may depend on the industry and position. All of the resumes I look at come in email form and I would be a bit annoyed if they were sent in any other way. A LinkedIn profile or personal home page is good enough for me as well. I'm pretty sure I'd scoff if I got something in the mail, anyway. Seems so old-fashioned. And if someone showed up at the door unexpectedly I would be shocked and weirded out, but our company is small.

Most applicants are horribly under-qualified and make no effort whatsoever so I reject them very quickly. I am happy to work with inexperienced people so long as I think they are of good character and willing to learn; they make loyal employees.

If someone is decent I'll review their credentials and general style and discuss with my coworkers for several minutes before deciding whether or not to email them. I don't usually read the entire resume. I'm a bit peculiar in that I never ask for references or contact old employers (I don't really trust them).
Work Experience:
Consultant at 'Teh rHizZone', 2011-2012

discipline posted:
capital already requires me to be not pregnant or with small children, preened and wearing cosmetic products, high heels, 50k in debt for a diploma which is worth less and less every day, and evidently working for quite a stretch of time with little to no pay to be considered employable. what's next. seriously. a wet t-shirt contest?