A well-known European news agency yesterday published from Sydney, Australia that a group of Australian researchers at the University of New South Wales announced the creation of an electrical cable ten thousand times thinner than a strand of hair, capable of carrying as much electricity as a traditional copper cable.

…Bent Weber, lead author of a study published in Science magazine at the University of New South Wales, in Sydney, Australia explained that “Interconnecting wiring of this scale will be vital for the development of future atomic-scale electronic circuits”.

“The wires were made by precisely placing chains of phosphorus atoms within a silicon crystal, according to the study, which includes researchers from the University of Melbourne and Purdue University in the US.”

The discovery is essential in the international race to develop the first ‘quantum computer’, super-fast machines capable of processing enormous amounts of information in just a few seconds: a series of calculations that would take years, or even decades, for today’s computers.

“In a traditional copper cable, the electricity is generated when the copper electrons flow along a conductor: but as the cable or conductor becomes smaller, resistance to the electrical flow becomes greater.”

In order to solve this problem, Weber and his team used specially designed microscopes with atomic precision that allowed them to place the phosphorus atoms into the silicone crystals.

“This allowed the nanocable to act as the copper, with the electrons flowing easily and with no resistance problems. They are trying to prove that with this technique it is possible to minimize components down to the scale of a few atoms.

If we are going to use atoms as bits, we need cables on the same scale as the atoms ― observed the supervisor of the group physicist, Micelle Simmons.”

With these unstoppable technological advances that ought to be for the well-being of humankind, I was recalling that just four days ago I wrote about the warming of the Earth and the accelerated exploitation of shale gas in a world that in two hundred years is consuming the fossil energy accumulated for 4 billion years.

Imagine Obama, that wordsmith, for whom, in his desperate search for re-election, the dreams of Martin Luther King Jr. are light years further away than the Earth is from the nearest inhabitable planet.

Worse yet: any of the Republican Congressmen who are presidential hopefuls, or any leader of the Tea Party carries more nuclear weapons on their backs than ideas of peace in their heads.

Let the readers imagine for one moment that powerful quantum calculator capable of multiplying an infinite number of times the data that today is collected by modern computers.

Is it not perhaps obvious that the worst thing of all this is the absence in the White House of a robot capable of governing the United States and preventing a war that would put an end to the life of our species?

I am certain that 90 percent of registered Americans, especially Hispanics, Afro-Americans and the growing numbers of the impoverished middle class would vote for the robot.

http://en.cubadebate.cu/reflections-fidel/2012/01/10/best-president-for-united-states/

Edited by futurewidow ()

"Bent Weber"
fidel is a great poster
someone made a good point today. a lot of trot groups and such are like look at how kim jong-un is taking over, how sad, it's like a dynasty, unlike revolutions we support like cuba. well what about raul castro? how's that not crass nepotism. makes you think.
By the way if you guys find this scary and want to fight the future, paypal me 300 bucks and I’ll go burn this lab down, it’s about a 5 minute walk from me.
<----- this dude
who is your av getfiscal it looks kinda like alan greenspan

gyrofry posted:
who is your av getfiscal it looks kinda like alan greenspan

kantorovich, who was sorta like a greenspan, in his own way....

getfiscal posted:
someone made a good point today. a lot of trot groups and such are like look at how kim jong-un is taking over, how sad, it's like a dynasty, unlike revolutions we support like cuba. well what about raul castro? how's that not crass nepotism. makes you think.

agreed. let's pursue this line of thought on my own hunting ground if you'd be so kind to oblige me: http://www.reddit.com/r/Liberal/

SOmeone get castro to post here
It's me, make me president
i would vote for you lykourgos, i'd rather have a reactionary aristocracy than liberal democracy
no one should ever joke about backing the robots. the robots will exterminate us one day. i mean it is inevitable but we should struggle against the robots. one of the main reasons we need communism is so that we don't build self-replicating combat robots. i mean eventually we'll build some sort of labour robot that will self-replicate and exterminate us, yes, but that could be hundreds of years from now.

getfiscal posted:
no one should ever joke about backing the robots. the robots will exterminate us one day. i mean it is inevitable but we should struggle against the robots. one of the main reasons we need communism is so that we don't build self-replicating combat robots. i mean eventually we'll build some sort of labour robot that will self-replicate and exterminate us, yes, but that could be hundreds of years from now.

hmmm interestng idea. might i interest you in the saga of the foundation series by ISAAC R.R. ASIMOV?

aerdil posted:
i would vote for you lykourgos, i'd rather have a reactionary aristocracy than liberal democracy

you are the common sort, not suited for choosing the rulers of the world

thats dumb, a robot is just a mechanical technocrat, the decisions it makes will be based on the parameters of its programming. someone needs to invent an Ideology Circuit

deadken posted:
thats dumb, a robot is just a mechanical technocrat, the decisions it makes will be based on the parameters of its programming. someone needs to invent an Ideology Circuit

there is an Ideology Circuit: the revolutionary science of marxism-leninism

can a robot experience solidarity. i think the true test of artificial intelligence is not a machine that is self aware, but a machine that is capable of participating in mass consciousness
on the other hand i cant wait until cyberpsychoanalysis is a Thing

deadken posted:

Isnt' that what this forum is?

deadken posted:

it exists, it's called debugging a segfault without gdb! badoom-tish

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

Angry black man LOL

it's pretty depressing how obviously comedy central wants to recreate the chappelle show without the executives having the slightest idea of why that show was funny in the first place, now we're cursed with a neverending stream of these awful mind of mencia-ish knockoffs since our white/jewish media overlords are all out of touch old men
wait is this a clip from a comedy central show?

DRUXXX posted:
wait is this a clip from a comedy central show?

youre a clip

aerdil posted:
it's pretty depressing how obviously comedy central wants to recreate the chappelle show without the executives having the slightest idea of why that show was funny in the first place, now we're cursed with a neverending stream of these awful mind of mencia-ish knockoffs since our white/jewish media overlords are all out of touch old men

otoh black people will watch all kinds of retarded crap

Goethestein posted:
otoh black people will watch all kinds of retarded crap

banned for goatstein

why did ppl downvote that post. Big Mommas House was a cinematic masterpiece i guess

Goethestein posted:
why did ppl downvote that post. Big Mommas House was a cinematic masterpiece i guess

well, it was no The Hangover Part II, thats for sure

please dont think that when i say that black people like dumb crap its because they are exclusive in that characteristic
same, except when i say that black people are stupid or criminals.
same.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
just remembered that white people made a movie called "Friends w/ Benefits" and roger ebert gave it 3 out of 4 stars then it went on gross over $150M in theatres. What a world.
movie talk

Lessons posted:

Goethestein posted:

well, it was no The Hangover Part II, thats for sure

whitepeople.mpg

jesus christ
lol