agreed
i don't see why i should have to give up a tenth of my harvest just so some fat monks can read some book in their gold palaces
church is for those too weak to pull the plow and too clumsy to learn a proper trade
i hope i can get my fourth son, the one with the limp, apprenticed to father jovan. i can't find anything else to do with him

elemennop posted:
church is for those too weak to pull the plow and too clumsy to learn a proper trade

funny bc im stronger and a more skilled worker than u and i believe in God.

i have given the church three calves, and my kidnapped son has not returned from the janissary yet

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

elemennop posted:

funny bc im stronger and a more skilled worker than u and i believe in God.

good, you're not for the church. i'll give you 5 cows, 10 swine, and 100 bushels of wheat to marry 3rd daughter

[account deactivated]

elemennop posted:

i accept plowing as worship

discipline posted:
lmao your kidnapped jannisary son is going to convert to Islam and run the empire n00b

"convert to islam" and re-instate the Serbian Orthodox church the second he starts running the empire

elemennop posted:

discipline posted:
lmao your kidnapped jannisary son is going to convert to Islam and run the empire n00b

"convert to islam" and re-instate the Serbian Orthodox church the second he starts running the empire

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
Wow wonder why it never happened for the hundreds of thousands of jannisaries throughout history... until now?!?!?!

what? that's exactly what happened though? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokollu_Mehmed_Pasha#Last_years

the one serb that ruled the empire reinstated the serbian orthodox church

haha i think thats the grossest one yet. thx for proving god doesnt exist better than i ever could tpaine

tpaine posted:

oh my god, my mouth is watering

discipline posted:
I was having this discussion last night actually but w/r/t family and gender roles. We cannot eradicate these things without replacing them, yet we are told in society that we are left with a lack wherein people are free actors or something. This is not true. We are so much smarter than this. we know that people are compelled by forces outside of their control for just about everything. I don't see how anyone could think that "killing God" isn't anything but a really transparent attempt to immerse everyone in the hedonistic present and ramp up levels of consumption and atomization within society. Church was pretty much the last place in the west that people met as a community once a week (or more) to do stuff not related to consumer capitalism. Now they are zeroing in on family dinners and marriage, not as oppressive institutions but rather as places where we still meet to discuss our day. Now we are all on so many drugs with the radio on and the curtains drawn. Typing across oceans at each other in our dens, older than we should be to be single and alone in life. Welcome to the desert of the Real boys.

who's talking about ""killing God""..? kratos of sparta? if you're talking about Nietzsche's famous quote, then you really misunderstand what he's saying. it isn't that "We should kill God because we'd be better off without him," its that "God is dead because we have already killed him," i.e. a historical assertion, past-tense, in the same line of what you're already describing: that the place of "God" in western culture died as faith was placed in vulgar materialism rather than in spiritual balance, leaving our souls without any foundation on which to stand. do you disagree with that assertion? Nietzsche then predicts that unless we "over"come this, we will degenerate into the famous blinking The Last Men, pitiful herbivores without life.

i dunno. it starting to seem to me that the position that bf and yourself actually hold is that western culture is beyond self-salvation, and that thus the golden path lies in injecting a different culture, that still has its God, into our arms, as if it were some sort of antibody for our spiritual malaise. or do i have that wrong? how else to interpret bf's absurd fetishism in that case?

Edited by germanjoey ()

nietzsche already gave god a kidney shot, now we just have to finish him off

Impper posted:
nietzsche already gave god a kidney shot, now we just have to finish him off

nietzsche never did not one lil thing to no god no how

oh yes he did, he even gave me a kool handwritten note about it, as follows:

"john, go get em

-n."
we all know your name is paco man

germanjoey posted:
i dunno. it starting to seem to me that the position that bf and yourself actually hold is that western culture is beyond self-salvation, and that thus the golden path lies in injecting a different culture, that still has its God, into our arms, as if it were some sort of antibody for our spiritual malaise. or do i have that wrong? how else to interpret bf's absurd fetishism in that case?

lol what

babyfinland posted:

germanjoey posted:

lol what

your arab fetishism. you're pretty much an arab otaku

Impper posted:

"john, go get em

-n."

HE DID NOT SAY THAT. EVER

germanjoey posted:

babyfinland posted:

germanjoey posted:

lol what

o rly

lol tom and t money hate arab culture. what are you talking about? t money regularly uses the term 'sand nigger' unironically in rl conversation and to me on AIM
ok so the part about t money saying sand nigger wasn't true but the rest is
aatheism is when you dont believe in no god

babyfinland posted:

germanjoey posted:

babyfinland posted:

germanjoey posted:

lol what

o rly

ya

i honestly can not think of a single reason why you would think that unless youre just unable to distinguish islam from arabianness or something, in which case you have to conclude that islam in its entirety is arab otaku-ness, which is veering into a creepy racial essentialist discourse
lol tom seriously avoided going to mosque in jordan bc he couldnt stand being around arabs

germanjoey posted:

Impper posted:

"john, go get em

-n."

HE DID NOT SAY THAT. EVER

clearly he did, i have it on a post-it from, uhh, 1741, yes, the year post-its were invented, and nietzsche gave me his second to last one. the last one was reserved for nietzsche's cat, named "Z." (Zed.)

There are four causes of infidelity and loss of belief in Allah: hankering after whims, a passion to dispute every argument, deviation from truth; and dissension, because whoever hankers after whims does not incline towards truth; whoever keeps on disputing every argument on account of his ignorance, will always remain blind to truth, whoever deviates from truth because of ignorance, will always take good for evil and evil for good and he will always remain intoxicated with misguidance. And whoever makes a breach (with Allah and His Messenger) his path becomes difficult, his affairs will become complicated and his way to salvation will be uncertain. Similarly, doubt has also four aspects absurd reason- ing; fear; vacillation and hesitation; and unreasonable surrender to infidelity, because one who has accustomed himself to unreasonable and absurd discussions will never see the Light of Truth and will always live in the darkness of ignorance. One who is afraid to face facts (of life, death and the life after death) will always turn away from ultimate reality, one who allows doubts and uncertainties to vacillate him will always be under the control of Satan and one who surrenders himself to infidelity accepts damnation in both the worlds.
When Imam Ali was asked about Faith in Religion, he replied that the structure of faith is supported by four pillars: endurance, conviction, justice and jihad. Endurance is composed of four attributes: eagerness, fear, piety and anticipation (of death). So whoever is eager for Paradise will ignore temptations; whoever fears the fire of Hell will abstain from sins; whoever practices piety will easily bear the difficulties of life and whoever anticipates death will hasten towards good deeds. Conviction has also four aspects: to guard oneself against infatuations of sin; to search for explanation of truth through knowledge; to gain lessons from instructive things and to follow the precedent of the past people, because whoever wants to guard himself against vices and sins will have to search for the true causes of infatuation and the true ways of combating them out and to find those true ways one has to search them with the help of knowledge, whoever gets fully acquainted with various branches of knowledge will take lessons from life and whoever tries to take lessons from life is actually engaged in the study of the causes of rise and fall of previous civilizations. Justice also has four aspects: depth of understanding, profoundness of knowledge, fairness of judgment and dearness of mind; because whoever tries his best to understand a problem will have to study it, whoever has the practice of studying the subject he is to deal with, will develop a clear mind and will always come to correct decisions, whoever tries to achieve all this will have to develop ample patience and forbearance and whoever does this has done justice to the cause of religion and has led a life of good repute and fame. Jihad is divided into four branches: to persuade people to be obedient to Allah; to prohibit them from sin and vice; to struggle (in the cause of Allah) sincerely and firmly on all occasions and to detest the vicious. Whoever persuades people to obey the orders of Allah provides strength to the believers; whoever dissuades them from vices and sins humiliates the unbelievers; whoever struggles on all occasions discharges all his obligations and whoever detests the vicious only for the sake of Allah, then Allah will take revenge on his enemies and will be pleased with Him on the Day of Judgment.

babyfinland posted:
i honestly can not think of a single reason why you would think that unless youre just unable to distinguish islam from arabianness or something, in which case you have to conclude that islam in its entirety is arab otaku-ness, which is veering into a creepy racial essentialist discourse

ok answer me this, when have you ever put the way you understand islam into terms other people can relate to instead of just dumping shitloads of scripture copy/pastes lol

"Islam doesn't need "The LEft""

explain your avatar

germanjoey posted:

babyfinland posted:

ok answer me this, when have you ever put the way you understand islam into terms other people can relate to instead of just dumping shitloads of scripture copy/pastes lol

all the time

babyfinland posted:
There are four causes of infidelity and loss of belief in Allah: hankering after whims, a passion to dispute every argument, deviation from truth; and dissension, because whoever hankers after whims does not incline towards truth; whoever keeps on disputing every argument on account of his ignorance, will always remain blind to truth, whoever deviates from truth because of ignorance, will always take good for evil and evil for good and he will always remain intoxicated with misguidance. And whoever makes a breach (with Allah and His Messenger) his path becomes difficult, his affairs will become complicated and his way to salvation will be uncertain. Similarly, doubt has also four aspects absurd reason- ing; fear; vacillation and hesitation; and unreasonable surrender to infidelity, because one who has accustomed himself to unreasonable and absurd discussions will never see the Light of Truth and will always live in the darkness of ignorance. One who is afraid to face facts (of life, death and the life after death) will always turn away from ultimate reality, one who allows doubts and uncertainties to vacillate him will always be under the control of Satan and one who surrenders himself to infidelity accepts damnation in both the worlds.

check your premises

germanjoey posted:
explain your avatar

its the shahada

babyfinland posted:

germanjoey posted:

babyfinland posted:

all the time

where