[account deactivated]
juking the stats?????????
In the middle of the New Mexico desert, a vacationing couple comes across an ill man wandering miles from town. They bring him to a hospital, where doctors discover he has bizarre deformities in his blood vessels. They find the man, Joe Traub, is a physicist and an employee of a company called ITC. However, ITC's headquarters are mysteriously far from where Traub was found. Traub soon dies of a cardiac arrest. The hospital receives an MRI scan later, which reveals that Traub's blood veins did not match up to each other. Traub, being the last of his family, is taken and cremated by ITC to prevent any further evidence about his death from coming through to the public.
The nail that sticks up gets hammered down, I’m not sure what I’m meant to be angry at here. If you feel the need to “go against the grain” and fight your peers’ sense of consensus, opinion and solidarity, then of course there are going to be repercussions.

What did he expect, a medal?
wow, that poor agent of state violence + repression, my heart goes out 2 him
For a bunch of Marxists I’m surprised to see this sympathy for a Wrecker and Saboteur.
anyone who volunteers to be a cop is mentally deficient anyway
tbqh when i first read this story (when it was FIRST POSTED OVER A YEAR AGO), my response was, "wow, there is one good cop out there."
theres a certain brutish charm to these bits of convenient jargon that police develop... "emotionally disturbed person", "excited delirium"... i imagine it comes from being constantly subjected to a legalistic authority while not really being capable of understanding the centuries of history that shaped that authority. its quite human in its own small way
Yes, I heard this guy's story on my regular listen to This American Life. Glad to see his concerns being validated.

Cycloneboy posted:
tbqh when i first read this story (when it was FIRST POSTED OVER A YEAR AGO), my response was, "wow, there is one good cop out there."

mistersix posted:
theres a certain brutish charm to these bits of convenient jargon that police develop... "emotionally disturbed person", "excited delirium"... i imagine it comes from being constantly subjected to a legalistic authority while not really being capable of understanding the centuries of history that shaped that authority. its quite human in its own small way

its because they're street-level bureaucrats who exist partially in the realm of government codified regulation and partially in the realm of free authority. of course cops take the worst aspects of each level, abusing authority then using bureaucratic structures to stay insulated from the harm they commit

[account deactivated]
i hate cops but defend soldiers because i am a child with no knowledge of perspective, grievousness or incidence
how are soldiers worse than cops
why is this a cops thread and not an antipsychiatry thread
because you should unironically be arguing for the return of institutions because deinstitutionalisation in a neoliberal context is vile shit

jools posted:
because you should unironically be arguing for the return of institutions because deinstitutionalisation in a neoliberal context is vile shit

i support the prison system for much the same reason.

the Function of prisons is completely different though you moron
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
khamsek do you think the modern prison's function as a way to exploit the bottom end of the reserve army of labour is completely compatible with foucaults ideas about prisons

jools posted:

the reality is that the reason that deinstitutionalization occurred is because forcibly being interred in mental hospitals was/is fucking horrific you idiot.

[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
wOah, lets not start on throwing around words like "Idiot"! terms that are very problematic and possibly bigoted

unlike "moron".

Cycloneboy posted:

discipline posted:
wOah, lets not start on throwing around words like "Idiot"! terms that are very problematic and possibly bigoted

unlike "moron".

Cycloneboy posted:

jools posted:

the reality is that the reason that deinstitutionalization occurred is because forcibly being interred in mental hospitals was/is fucking horrific you idiot.

yeah, thats obviously why its biggest supporters in britain were conservatives + it was introduced by conservative governments, and thats obviously why the concomitant huge rise in homelessness was completely unrelated

man it sucks having this place to live with food and warmth
itd be much better having an under-resourced community mental health team visit me every 2 months

jools posted:

man it sucks being forcibly detained wwithout my consent, forced to take drugs, and be an easy victim for any sadistic or predatory personnel.

also whats great is that the atypical antipsychotics that were also introduced around the time of deinstitutionalisation have proven to be no better than the typical antipsychotics they replaced. sure the tardive dyskinesia is less bad, but lol now you weight 200lbs more and have diabetes

Cycloneboy posted:

jools posted:

man it sucks being forcibly detained wwithout my consent, forced to take drugs, and be an easy victim for any sadistic or predatory personnel.

literally better than being homeless my guy, also why aren't those things solvable with reform rather than destruction

jools posted:

Cycloneboy posted:

jools posted:

literally better than being homeless my guy, also why aren't those things solvable with reform rather than destruction

reformism? get the fuck out of LF.

Cycloneboy posted:

jools posted:

Cycloneboy posted:

jools posted:

reformism? get the fuck out of LF.

youre literally margaret thatcher

Are you there Milton? It's me, Margaret

discipline posted:
Ahahaaaha ahahahahaahaha hahahahaahaahaha I'm gonna put YOU in an asylum of cuddles and puppies

me too pls

these are generally the kind of people who are compulsively placed in mental hospitals (GAF = Global Assessment of Functioning)

GAF Score 20-11: Some danger of hurting self or others (e.g., suicidal attempts without clear expectation of death; frequent violent (sic); manic excitement) OR occasionally fails to maintain minimal personal hygiene (e.g., smears feces) OR gross impairment in communication (e.g., largely incoherent or mute).

GAF Score 10-1: Persistent danger of severely hurting self or others (e.g., recurrent violence) OR persistent inability to maintain minimal personal hygiene OR serious suicidal act with clear expectation of death.

jools posted:
how are soldiers worse than cops

everything you hate about cops - the racism, the murder, the petty tyranny, the reflexive worship by society - are far worse amongst soldiers

i hate garbagemen
i hate carny folk