idea: ban twitter from the forum
banning seems a little bit drastic, why not just ifap twitter until their posting improves?
is this about how 90% of left twitter is embroiled in a controversy surrounding a c-list comedian?
no it's about returning this forum to its roots: pictures of dead children and elucidating the nature of Trotskyism in more than 146 characters
twitter update: kahina is now going after J Sakai because discipline made a few tweets re: state, nation, and nation-state. i won't link out of respect to this thread

Constantignoble posted:

twitter update:

thats a ban

ahahahahaha
Our beloved drcat has done an excellent job at smoothing out the site and integrating other media, the problem remains that twitter is a terrible medium for discussion and makes any synthesis of differing points of view near impossible. The affordances of the platform push communities that should be working together towards being easily monitored, infiltrated, fragmented, suffering mental health issues, etc. Not that we are entirely free of those problems here, but if our discussions increasingly revolve around twitter drama it further impoverishes our discourse.

A separate issue is that the content is hosted offsite, i.e. once a tweet is unavailable we end up with holes in the forum. In my experience twitter API makes it impossible to access tweets further back than the last 3000, if you add to this the uncertainty of the longevity of the platform, or users deleting their tweets, our forum in future years increases its linkrot.

This problem also extends to image hosting; already some posts with imgur links on the first page of funny pics thread have been replaced with other images.

I'm not necessarily in favor of a complete ban, or automatically IFAPing people who post tweets if they also include some relevant discussion/commentary. But some solutions are needed.

One idea, a requirement to copypaste the text (or a script that does this?) is perhaps good foresight for the 'zzone of the future.
Another, if a poster includes a tweet then a minimum additional character count is needed to post.

Edited by Gssh ()

I think this forum has already maintained a proper distance from twitter discourse, and thankfully so, as I'd be pretty confused without it.
idea: everyone post more, especially funny posts
red kahina rules. also give jeffery back his account. he was the best poster
I think we should deactivate embedded tweets

swampman posted:

I think we should deactivate embedded tweets

If we just remove embeds then many threads become riddled with holes. An embed looks like this at moment when viewing page source.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">why do you use twitter. this is a serious question. i am doing an interview tomorrow and need to have some real statistics help</p>&mdash; Martha Stewart (@MarthaStewart) <a href="[twitter]https://twitter.com/MarthaStewart/status/1783044676[/twitter]">May 13, 2009</a></blockquote>
<script async="None" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
</span>

Maybe it's feasible to replace the embed with the raw text it grabs and remove link? Still doesn't stop people posting links to twitter though.
*e woops 'code' brackets doesn't seem to word wrap

Edited by Gssh ()

I think being mad about embedded tweets is elitism
banning embedded tweets is nothing more than a half-measure, a compromise. as marxists we must take aim at twitter itself

88888 posted:

banning embedded tweets is nothing more than a half-measure, a compromise. as marxists we must take aim at twitter itself

True. We should all join up with Twitter, and make it better with our good twwets

I just deleted Twitter! I like the idea of disabling embeds, but allowing the text to be copied. A house-rule requiring tweets to be presented 'with comment' might help to keep this place from being sucked into Twitter's orbit.
Twitter is a website that everyone uses, this is a website no one uses. I propose we all post 9,000 word threads about how pol pot is actually good.
im sure everyones been desperate for my thoughts so here they are

1) twitter is complete garbage
2) it exists nonetheless and from time to time posters here will want to refer to it either because it's relevant or funny (unlikely as that seems)

the best solution to my mind is to leave embeds active as they currently stand because doctor cat did a great job of making them work properly without performance hits. so what if tweets can be deleted or otherwise stop working? most of what is posted in this place is similarly ephemeral and a post embedding a tweet almost certainly falls into that category

losing embedded tweets or images years down the road is nowhere near as awkward as having whole accounts deactivated and the posts removed, and we do that all the time
twitter controversies are cool. like i was about two paragraphs into a medium post by Gay Ron Swanson (which was somehow not, by the way, a tpaine joke name) and he made the point that some person i don't know on twitter was mad about a joke and people were not respecting her hurt feelings about it. i had to actually remember that this is something i am supposed to think is bad and care at all about. i feel like one of those autistics who has to point at cartoon faces
"Lagavulin, neat.....or a giant glass of jizz." - Gay Ron Swanson
A bunch of fefos posted their nude breats to distract everyone from the cum town guy saying a joke wrong. If you don't think that's good I respect your right to have an opinion but don't respect the opinion you've chosen to have.
that story the girl posted in like 80 tweets where the thesis is "i lowkey flew crosscountry to highkey fuck a fam and then he bounced for work and i had to find the front door on my own and i was lowkey like wtf and then he asked me to leave because i was weird and unnerving #survivor" was the funniest selfown i have read in a while
let me just make a post about something that happened on twitter
i wd be a big fan of this website developing independent of twitter

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

that story the girl posted in like 80 tweets where the thesis is "i lowkey flew crosscountry to highkey fuck a fam and then he bounced for work and i had to find the front door on my own and i was lowkey like wtf and then he asked me to leave because i was weird and unnerving #survivor" was the funniest selfown i have read in a while

i dont understand this beef

tears posted:

let me just make a post about something that happened on twitter

let a fam who aint lowkey made a lol at a selfown cast the 1st smh at a mf

idea: ban the preceding poster
also the reason i wanted embedded tweets is because this way i don't have to click on twitter or care about twitter and if someone wants to make a point about a tweet they can quote it easily and we can move on collectively having extracted whatever the salient tweet is.

it's interesting (in a media/psychology kind of way) that having them here presented that way makes it feel more intrusive or that twitter is sort of embedded or entwined with communication here. that wasn't really the intention, but i can see that reducing the barrier to including a tweet would have that effect. so essentially you're arguing for discursive tariffs.

so my questions are:
- what do you want to accomplish? no twitter links ever? fewer? something else? better threads in the rhizzone?
- will changing the default tweet embed into only the context as text formatted as though it's part of the rhizzone, like as a blockquote, actually accomplish your goal?
- are you proposing we just ban links to twitter.com entirely?
- does downvoting not potentially accomplish the same goal through social pressure without us having to do some weird rule bullshit?
the quality of posting at the rhizzone is already much much higher than it was in 2013 or w/e. i don't think having the capacity to embed tweets is gonna make us get caught up in the same idiotic feuds as left-twitter.

Chthonic_Goat_666 posted:

the quality of posting at the rhizzone is already much much higher than it was in 2013 or w/e. i don't think having the capacity to embed tweets is gonna make us get caught up in the same idiotic feuds as left-twitter.

i disagree and also you are a Shitlord Bro

I think the embedding technology is fine, I think posters here should not post about twitter here
what about making this thread a quarantine zone for twitter stuff?

it's a great way to observe bourgeois culture's terminal velocity freefall into complete insanity. can we at least have one thread for rubbernecking?
there should be a thread for just posting tweety tweets
twitter is so bad because it's a sluice for all kinds of awful opinions and toxic personalities to flow directly into my brain but it's also where all the good content is
maybe instead of banning all of twitter there should be some guidelines on what kind of twitter content is acceptable to post.

stupid leftwing internet infighting = bad
coverage of real life events = good
no gods no masters

https://curiouscat.me/getfiscal/post/120016587?t=1489545121

Why is it everytime I see a cartoonishly racist post on the rhizzone its made by le nelson Mandela face?
That man's name is Goatstein. Several years ago he attended a wedding. At the wedding, half of the wedding party indulged in a "Steampunk" theme. The other half refused to do so, and wore normal attire. You can imagine how hilarious the photos would be! Yet Goatstein, driven mad by the experience, refuses to release the photos. Instead, he has to repeat reddit jokes from 2012, condemned to madness forever.