i'd do a lets read in the style of lets play where i just give my opinons and insight on what im reading and post excerpts but im a total rube

ive thought about doing For My Legionaries since ive read it a bunch and intellectuals need not apply to the codreanu club
if we gonna doing a Lets read we should pick a text thats avaible Online the internet and also pick a start date in the future "in advance" so everyone can finish the freak up whatsoever they're currently perusing because whenever someones like Lets read this! cant im busy with something\\\\\\\ Thats the only thing i care about

Does anyone want to see more film or general art criticism+commentary since that pulls in the stupid fucking yokels like myself and the dumbass rubes still more like myself
criticise THIS: kandinsky
i went to see a bunch of kandiskys at the guggenheim and iono... i didnt feel it, it didnt actively repulse me like jackson pollock but i didnt find it emotive in the same way as rothko for instance, i get that its very intricately composed but it seemed to be reaching for some kind of aesthetically powerful composition while not actually getting there. guess im just a big ole cubist/constructivist dinosaur tho
i saw a rothko a couple months ago at the sfmoma, really didn't expect anything, but the moment i saw it in real life it just hit me like damn. emotion outta nowhere from just some fuckin blocks of color dang waht teh hell lady? CIA aesthetics attack u like whoa.

Edited by aerdil ()

rothko is awesome and his works have immediate aesthetic effect whereas pollock is unintelligible without reference to the bourgeois liberal idea of individual freedom, pollock's expressionism is tyrannical as fuck, he just wants you to decipher his Important Artist's Meaningful Feelings
yah i agree. but what do u think of de kooning of whom i quite like a lot of paintings. there's a nude at the de young that i stared at for quite some time.

it was this one i think http://www.flickr.com/photos/rocor/5024161019/in/set-72157625370697338

Edited by aerdil ()

i dont really know a lot of de kooning.... they had a big retrospective at moma when i went but i was really hungover and just wanted to look at some cool monets and braques and what have you, i just kinda strolled around and nothing rly stuck
they take some time to sink in i think, there's no immediate effect. not to say its like pollock where theres something "to decipher," but there is a "ah hah" moment where u realize what exactly ur looking at, through the obscuring lens of whatever emotional state the painter was in at the time
that one is ok but uh.... i mean i see the importance of what he's doing but from a personal aesthetic standpoint its just not really my Ting
[account deactivated]

aerdil posted:
they take some time to sink in i think, there's no immediate effect. not to say its like pollock where theres something "to decipher," but there is a "ah hah" moment where u realize what exactly ur looking at, through the obscuring lens of whatever emotional state the painter was in at the time

how do u read it. i mean i see lines and colours that could be indicative of something but im guessing its not remotely representational

maybe im just tired as fuck
dont u see the naked lady staring out a window. c'mon son.

tpaine posted:
rothko de kooning de young moma braques

braque mate. braque. pfeh *disdains u w/ an imperious wave of a velvet-gloved hand*

aerdil posted:
dont u see the naked lady staring out a window. c'mon son.

lol yeah i saw that and then i was like 'thats just gotta be me wasnt dude like pure abstraction???'

Which Shows You How Much I Know
[account deactivated]
mayeb ur right but i think its teh nude lady supine lookin out a window to a landscape *shrugs shoulders and backflips 180 into a grind on a pollock then a kickflip outta teh museum*
yeah i see it but then when you examine it more closely there are a bunch more nudes scattered about the painting.... maybe thats just me tho my libidos been all weird lately. art to e/n in one simple step
also: statler from the muppets w/ heterochromia
[account deactivated]
i love rothko

also cy twombly
[account deactivated]
i really dont rate cy twombly.... basically i dont like modern art made up of anything other than straight lines and solid blocks lol
tpaine you would be happy to know that i googled frib grundlesworthy
[account deactivated]
Cis privilege.
Have you guys seen children presenting stalin with flowers. Quite moving. Any info on the hotline bout that?
that's the background of my phone and people comment on it ALL THE TIME. one time i was at the post office and i busted out my phone to get the tracking number for the package i was picking up and the guy was like 'oh, is that.... stalin?' and i was just like 'yeah' and changed the subject real quick by pulling up the number. i guess i failed, i shoulda preached to that dude and the ppl behind me in line about how stalin is misrepresented in history and is actually the greatest humanitarian of all time.

DRUXXX posted:
that's the background of my phone and people comment on it ALL THE TIME. one time i was at the post office and i busted out my phone to get the tracking number for the package i was picking up and the guy was like 'oh, is that.... stalin?' and i was just like 'yeah' and changed the subject real quick by pulling up the number. i guess i failed, i shoulda preached to that dude and the ppl behind me in line about how stalin is misrepresented in history and is actually the greatest humanitarian of all time.

someone from the back of the line would flash their phone at you featuring a Mao wallpaper and say I beg to differ sirrah

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

noavbazzer posted:
i'd do a lets read in the style of lets play where i just give my opinons and insight on what im reading and post excerpts but im a total rube

ive thought about doing For My Legionaries since ive read it a bunch and intellectuals need not apply to the codreanu club

scientific anti-semitism / murdering policemen f.t.w.

in olde LF there were a few threads about masculinity or soemthing and there was a particular prof whose textbook everyone seemed to like. i vaguely remember it had an adult man and a boy on the beach (maybe??) with like a sunset. they might have been touching

shennong posted:
i vaguely remember it had an adult man and a boy on the beach (maybe??) with like a sunset. they might have been touching

Saving Private Ryan

sounds hot, go on...
i need to know the title, its for a project