http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Masculinities-Jack-S-Kahn/dp/1405181796/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326777052&sr=1-2

i dont think this is exactly it but it matches the thing (i remember it as well) better than any thing else i coudl find. i remember that it was soem sort of introductory thing to masculinity studies
I am masculinity studies.

babyfinland posted:
http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Masculinities-Jack-S-Kahn/dp/1405181796/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326777052&sr=1-2i dont think this is exactly it but it matches the thing (i remember it as well) better than any thing else i coudl find. i remember that it was soem sort of introductory thing to masculinity studies

yeah thats the one. i forgot they were fishing!! thanks a lot bf

watcha workin on
i dont actually have a project im just staggeringly ignorant about gender and discipline's thread got me thinking i should educate myself at least a lil. so when i get a little time you'll have added two gender books to my list, that kahn one and caliban and the witch!!
kool
wats the best place to d/l nasheeds
i dont really listen to nasheeds. i have some in my youtube faves i guess
post em!! i got some from ummah.com but the quality is all over the place
i like this one

ghuraba is really good too
ghuraba is classic

some of the best ones got deleted unfortunately
i was listening to timur mucuraev singing songs of chechen independence last night should i post them
can you use a mic in islam or is that an instrument

Lessons posted:

its just stringed instruments that are prohibited, although all of the stuff about music is really contextual

shennong posted:
in olde LF there were a few threads about masculinity or soemthing and there was a particular prof whose textbook everyone seemed to like. i vaguely remember it had an adult man and a boy on the beach (maybe??) with like a sunset. they might have been touching

i was quite sure you were slightly misremembering "the masculine self",

which doesnt have a sunset, but obviously the other book is what you had in mind. one wonders how many books on masculinity have similar covers

mistersix posted:

shennong posted:
in olde LF there were a few threads about masculinity or soemthing and there was a particular prof whose textbook everyone seemed to like. i vaguely remember it had an adult man and a boy on the beach (maybe??) with like a sunset. they might have been touching

which doesnt have a sunset, but obviously the other book is what you had in mind. one wonders how many books on masculinity have similar covers

thats the one i was trying to find

mistersix posted:

shennong posted:

no, you were right. i thought the other book was the one but then when i saw christopher kilmartin i instantly recalled seeing that in the thread and also that one of the posters had a class w/ the guy and showed him lf. he said he had shown kilmartin some of the posts and kilmartin apparently was like "that guy is a.. how do you say.. shitposter?" lol

nasheed Dubstep.

babyfinland posted:

Lessons posted:

its just stringed instruments that are prohibited, although all of the stuff about music is really contextual

wait what

obv. stringed instruments are tools of evil or some shit
The are many Ahadith of the blessed Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) which prohibit music and the usage of musical instruments to the extent that some scholars have gathered approximately forty Ahadith, of which the chain of transmission of some is sound (sahih), some good (hasan) and some weak (da’if). We will only mention a few here:

1) Sayyiduna Abu Malik al-Ash’ari (Allah be pleased with him) reports that he heard the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) say: “There will appear people in my Ummah, who will hold adultery, silk, alcohol and musical instruments to be lawful” (Sahih al-Bukhari)

2) Abu Malik al-Ash’ari (Allah be pleased with him) narrates a similar type of Hadith, but a different wording. He reports that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “Soon there will be people from my Ummah who will consume alcohol, they will change its name (by regarding it permissible. m), on there heads will be instruments of music and singing. Allah will make the ground swallow them up, and turn them into monkeys and swine” (Sahih Ibn Hibban & Sunan Ibn Majah, with a sound chain of narration).
this doesnt mean that music has some essential intrinsic evil in it though (nor does anything, the qur'an says that alcohol has some good in it but that the harm of it outweighs the good, so muslims should leave it altogether). like muslims actually invented musical therapy as a means of treating depression, for example, and music has obviously been a part of islamic culture since the beginning.

---

'A'isha reported: The Messenger of Allah (way peace be upon him) came (in my apartment) while there were two girls with me singing the song of the Battle of Bu'ath. He lay down on the bed and turned away his face. Then came Abu Bakr and he scolded me and said: Oh! this musical instrument of the devil in the house of the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him)! The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) turned towards him and said: Leave them alone. And when he (the Holy Prophet) became unattentive, I hinted them and they went out, and it was the day of 'Id and negroes were playing with shields and spears. (I do not remember) whether I asked the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) or whether he said to me if I desired to see (that sport). I said: Yes. I stood behind him with his face parallel to my face, and he said: O Banu Arfada, be busy (in your sports) till I was satiated. He said (to me): Is that enough? I said: Yes. Upon this he asked me to go. Book 004, Number 1942.

r40.0 MUSIC, SONG, AND DANCE

MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS

r40.1 (Ibn Hajar Haytami As for the condemnation of musical instruments, flutes, strings, and the like by the Truthful and Trustworthy (Allah bless him and give him peace), who

"does not speak from personal caprice: it is nothing besides a revelation inspired" (Koran 53:3-4),

let those who refuse to obey him beware lest calamity strike them, or a painful torment. The Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) said:

(1) "Allah Mighty and Majestic sent me as a guidance and mercy to believers and commanded me to do away with musical instruments, flutes, strings, crucifixes, and the affair of the pre-Islamic period of ignorance."

(2) "On the Day of Resurrection, Allah will pour molten lead into the ears of whoever sits listening to a songstress."

(3) "Song makes hypocrisy grow in the heart as water does herbage."

(4) "This Community will experience the swallowing up of some people by the earth, metamorphosis of some into animals, and being rained upon with stones." Someone asked, "When will this be, O Messenger of Allah?" and he said, "When songstresses and musical instruments appear and wine is held to be lawful."

(5) "There will be peoples of my Community who will hold fornication, silk, wine, and musical instruments to be lawful ...."

All of this is explicit and compelling textual evidence that musical instruments of all types are unlawful (Kaff al-ra'a' 'an muharramat al-lahw wa al-sama' (y49), 2.269-70).

r40.2 (Nawawi It is unlawful to use musical instruments—such as those which drinkers are known for, like the mandolin, lute, cymbals, and flute—or to listen to them. It is permissible to play the tambourine at weddings, circumcisions, and other times, even if it has bells on its sides. Beating the kuba, a long drum with a narrow middle, is unlawful (Mughni al-muhtaj ila ma'rifa ma'ani alfaz al-Minhaj (y73), 4.429-30).

SINGING UNACCOMPANIED BY MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS

r40.3 (Ibn Hajar Haytami As for listening to singing that is not accompanied by instruments, one should know that singing or listening to singing is offensive except under the circumstances to be mentioned in what follows. Some scholars hold that singing is sunna at weddings and the like, and of our Imams, Ghazali and 'Izz ibn 'Abd al-Salam say that it is sunna if it moves one to a noble state of mind that makes one remember the hereafter. It is clear from this that all poetry which encourages good deeds, wisdom, noble qualities, abstinence from this-worldly things, or similar pious traits such as urging one to obey Allah, follow the sunna, or shun disobedience, is sunna to write, sing, or listen to, as more than one of our Imams have stated is obvious, since using a means to do good is itself doing good (Kaff al-ra'a' 'an muharramat al-lahw wa al-sama' (y49), 2.273).

DANCING

r40.4 (Nawawi: (n: with commentary by Muhammad Shirbini Khatib)) It is not prohibited to dance ((Shirbini which is not unlawful because it is only motions made while standing or bowing. Furani and others have expressly stated that neither is it offensive, but rather is permissible, as is attested to by the hadith related in the Sahihs of Bukhari and Muslim that the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) stood before 'A'isha (Allah be well pleased with her) to screen her from view so that she could observe the Abyssinians sporting and dancing) —unless it is languid, like the movements of the effeminate (Mughni al-muhtaj ila ma'rifa ma'am alfaz al-Minhaj (y73), 4.430). 1
that reads like a moldy law book
sorry its not about a bunch of french teens fucking you god damn decadent jew

Impper posted:
that reads like a moldy law book

thats exactly what it is

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:
sorry its not about a bunch of french teens fucking you god damn decadent jew

houellebecq's latest book is an extended burn on houellebecq. it owns, and, i read the whole thing, even though, there were no french fucking teens

in my beachside tel aviv condo i sat up on the balcony for hours and read the newest houellebecq, even though it didnt have any french fucking teens
i actually read 150 pagfes straight of it drunk as hell, and don't really remember much of it except that i was alternatively laughing or angry with houellebcq
that seems pretty clear on the point that all musical instruments are prohibited except for a few specific exceptions under specific circumstances
[account deactivated]
religion's pretty retarded
[account deactivated]
God's will doesn't conform to my idea of how it should be so therefor religion is retarded
[account deactivated]
yeah islam is the most BYOB religion. real chill stuff.
[account deactivated]
He said its kool to listen and play instruments as long as its good and nice and not truthful or bad. Probably yo ucan be mean only if its truthful. Buy this critique on amazon kindle store

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:
God's will doesn't conform to my idea of how it should be so therefor religion is retarded

All these retarded bullshit rules are ridiculous and indefensible therefore they're god's will