conec posted:

no shes tall n sh`d she kinda looks like uh whats her face uhh jennifer connelly her style icon is kate moss

that's cool. the brother of a girl i liked told her i looked like a cross between a keebler elf and peter lorre.

once the brother of a girl i was seeing texted me to ask about safe hallucinogen dosages. that was a pretty dead ken moment i guess
[account deactivated]
no it was annoying b/c i was finna read a big book of beckett words + believe in god + be really good at twitter + drink wines from the middle of the list all at the same time. DEAD KEN
my style icon is stalin

roseweird posted:

lmao what is this with "gay" what is wrong with you are you a goddamn child

is it not more childish to take issue with a word than it is to use it?

iwc you should read a hero of our time by mikhail lermontov, it's probably the purest representation of the divide between the alpha and the beta mentality the nineteenth century produced
im trying to read for my exam but a Motherfucker is sitting here eating a cracker and chewing with his mouth open

littlegreenpills posted:

c_man posted:

deadken posted:

i just finished lermontov's hero of our time & now i'm reading mishima's confessions of a mask. Cheers

i finished mishimas sound of waves and i didnt think it was that interesting. is it representative of his other stuff?

nnot so much, i think you have to bear in mind it was sort of "commercial" in its nature. confessions of a mask plays to a demographic (i guess "people-who-liked-Dazai") but sound of waves i think is a sort of tentative attempt for him to find his precise lyrical voice and it didn't work out quite on point, compounded by the fact that he's a pretty difficult author to translate well. the sailor who fell with grace from the sea is what ppl shd start with imo

I agree and would also suggest "temple of the golden pavilion." both books have hints of stuff that would become more overt in his later writing but both are also concise and pleasurable reads.

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

roseweird posted:

lmao what is this with "gay" what is wrong with you are you a goddamn child

is it not more childish to take issue with a word than it is to use it?

agreed, and that's my problem with al sharpton and the rest of the race-baiting ni-

double post. i'm reading the new teju cole book and it's very good. it's not as overtly sebaldy as his first novel but a lot of the same stuff in sebald (memory, atrocity, decay, trauma, yadda yadda yadda) is still present.
i was told that mishima's japanese already reads like it was translated into japanese from another language

getfiscal posted:

conec posted:

no shes tall n sh`d she kinda looks like uh whats her face uhh jennifer connelly her style icon is kate moss

that's cool. the brother of a girl i liked told her i looked like a cross between a keebler elf and peter lorre.

los elves de keebler... con peter lorre

my style icon is the christ pantokrator

conec posted:

idk, she's slept w/ over 100 - her husband is german, her first son`s dad is georgian and a hitman living on a greek island (i`m not making this up) her last 2 boyfriends were funny one of them showed her boards of canada hes a guitarist polish guy who is like 8 years younger than her she met him while in greece he was wind surfing there during summer then her next bf after that is some romanian creep who she uses her husband's inheritance (which i guess she has jus about bled dry) to visit in romania she boasted to me that he "reads philosophy for fun" he was, i guess, very mean to her and she stole my other sister's copy of being and nothingness as a bedroom prop to impress him w anyway a boyfriend before that was this turkish guy i don`t think he does much just goes to clubs and works in kitchens etc uhm last time she came to the states was to see about this guy she dated briefly when she was 19 who now owns some hotel in miami and i guess a night club i dont really know but she hates americans and he stood no chance he offered to give her a suite in the hotel for her to live in but she insisted on a house either way he wasnt enough for her dont bother w her getfiscal she beats the sh`t out of her husband etc plus she has 2 kids i`ve had to call child services on her ass that may sound mean of me but na no kids shud hav to witness their mom on drugs n acting a fool as she does ya shes married but all the bfs iv jus mentioned n those arent all of em shes been seeing while married etc i mean if u are really interested...

cool kid im glad theres at least one relatively sane one in your family

stegosaurus posted:

los elves de keebler... con peter lorre

one woman told me she found me attractive because i looked like a botticelli angel. she wanted a fat baby angel. i was a jerk to her though.

[account deactivated]
no, it was a lot simpler and boring than that. i simply told her i never wanted to have sex with her and then got jealous of her butch girlfriend and when they broke up i told her to go beg the streets looking for another woman like her. just your everyday drama.

getfiscal posted:

no, it was a lot simpler and boring than that. i simply told her i never wanted to have sex with her and then got jealous of her butch girlfriend and when they broke up i told her to go beg the streets looking for another woman like her. just your everyday drama.

mee-ow!

https://twitter.com/MarxistSexts

conec posted:

aye fiscal the expanded chad kroeger pic was at u idk y fop boy kenny the pissant assumed it was at him neway yes if u are indeed cherubic that is indeed awesome were u a jerk bcos she said that dude she might have been the one n u might have blown it!!!!!!!!! ah damb some freak jus walked by wearing v bright shirt and jordans looked dumb this girl sitting near me keeps making this nasty popping noise w her mouth ahh ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh n looking around vacantly keeps checking her phone screen gd it she jus made a sucking noise yay she left ok im overstimulated in here it is so fuickeng loud in dis piece im finna blow!! step 1 fill up wa wa bottle step 2 giddy up lil doggy step 3 i see me soarin thru them open dooooors step 4 mwahaha!!!

my boss makes those noises sometimes im like wtf what makes you think thats acceptable to do in public

roseweird posted:

an ex-catholic atheist manager

there's the rub i think, all the militant atheists i've ever actually met were refugees from a repressive religious situation. all the cool chill atheists who just like to hang out (like me) either drifted peacefully away from some blue-jeans my-god-is-an-awesome-god church in their late adolescence or were never raised religiously at all in the first place

so all the hating on goony atheists is really just class privilege mixed with the reckless use of triggering mythologies

[account deactivated]

deadken posted:

iwc you should read a hero of our time by mikhail lermontov, it's probably the purest representation of the divide between the alpha and the beta mentality the nineteenth century produced

Who would be a good example of a Victorian era beta male who always gets friendzoned?

heathcliff
http://www.econjobrumors.com/topic/stringer-bell-presents-his-paper lmao
[account deactivated]

MadMedico posted:

deadken posted:

Who would be a good example of a Victorian era beta male who always gets friendzoned?

some of the lake poets?

roseweird posted:

tpaine while i was in college and working at a coffee shop i had an ex-catholic atheist manager, whenever he'd ask how i was i'd talk about my studies and like i mentioned a book i'd read for my ancient near eastern religions intro, "did god have a wife?" talking about the history of yhwh's pairing with asherah/anath/etc. blah blah and as soon as i said the title he snapped at me "no. there's no god" and wouldn't let me talk about why i thought it was interesting, just kept repeating "there's no god". which, ok, i'm ok with people believing that but it's weird when it's reactive. basically if you can't hear people talking about religionw ithout getting angry you're probably militant. if when people ask you about your religious beliefs you politely explain them and have a calm discussion in which you and your partner share your thoughts and backgrounds, then you're not a militant

that guy seems really cool

i started up reading more hobsbawm and he still owns
[account deactivated]

MadMedico posted:

deadken posted:

If we go way back, Dante. He admired Beatrice from afar... there's nothing to show he ever even spoke to her, and he met her twice in his life (meetings a decade apart), but she was the inspiration for the Divine Comedy and his poetry.

c_man posted:

He's a good man who defends the honor of comrade Stalin

I like reading cool books about remote forts where Weary Old Colonels describe the desert view as "a worthless landscape, an extremely stupid landscape"
[account deactivated]

c_man posted:

same, my favorite article of his: http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyolson/2012/09/14/googling-your-lost-keys-and-the-coming-revolution-in-smart-products/

oh wait, did you mean his degenerate communist father?
[account deactivated]

ilmdge posted:

MadMedico posted:

deadken posted:

If we go way back, Dante. He admired Beatrice from afar... there's nothing to show he ever even spoke to her, and he met her twice in his life (meetings a decade apart), but she was the inspiration for the Divine Comedy and his poetry.

https://twitter.com/sam_kriss/status/411469571938189313

aerdil posted:

c_man posted:

same, my favorite article of his: http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyolson/2012/09/14/googling-your-lost-keys-and-the-coming-revolution-in-smart-products/

its even worse than the millibands