you can just do bodyweight stuff in your house, denk. it's not necessarily as efficient as a well-designed plan with weights but it's fun and gets the job done. if you're comfortable with your joints then ashtanga yoga can be a decent entry to harder stuff, like the unfortunately-gimmicked "convict conditioning" or whatever
yeah, I was doing HIIT-style bodyweight/elastic bands/pullup bar workouts etc at my house and in the park for about a year there but all of the pushups required gave me tendinitis in my wrist so i had to back off. I can do straight-wrist pushups w/ no problems using dumbbells or those pushup handle dealies so i might get back into it soon

once my nursing school starts i'll have access to a p trill weight room so i'll be able to get back to SHAKING DAT STEEL
i miss lifting a lot
[account deactivated]

Bablu posted:

the love of being strong, athletic, and able to move isn't something you can class analyze

i agree? im pretty sure the context of that was someone saying that not lifting was bourgeois white supremacy

[account deactivated]
no im really stupid
i have professional autism aka a math degree
c man stop posting and LIFT
http://newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2007/01/stripped-5x5.html

for all of you folks who are trying to start lifting: here is a good plan to get going. it is written by a shitty dirty crap man but it is good advice about how to make your body strong. when i had money to rent the tools to do so this is how i first made my muscles better. use your body, fulfil your destiny: Lift
c_man whats non-abelian mean again

littlegreenpills posted:

c_man whats non-abelian mean again

it means that the order in which you do things matters

[account deactivated]
oh i thought you were just annoyed by neoliberal gym rat social climbers who spend half of their days doing massive amounts of totally useless work and the other half talking about how great it is to be huge and also really well off and have you read this awesome book called the fountainhead? that's what im annoyed about.
[account deactivated]
i think thats annoying but i wasnt annoyed about that until yesterday or whenever
everyone's view is probably projecting at its core but I doubt the types cman and rw are complaining about actually have rhizzone accounts.

its more likely that those who lift in this forum do it for its proven benefits to basic human functionality. Note I speak only for resistance training, not body building. Even ignoring aesthetics it allows for increased mobility, endurance, and independence, especially as you age. It coincides with vascular health, and helps to improve bone density.

I've grown up and continued to live in an area that is not LA, not colorado, and have witnessed plenty around me allow their body to degrade and wither, whether it's practicing veganism wrong, only eating fast food, or just never moving.

It is depressing because even light resistance training for 20 minutes a couple times a week would vastly help these people, so they don't turn into the shambling bloated corpses i see at the grocery, the ones that aren't in the motorized carts. Some of these people have significant difficulty negotiating a 4-inch curb.
isn't dragging your own fat ass around all day a good form of resistance training
actually, when i'm done nuking mortgages and blowing rails with the boys from the firm, i throw together a workout mix, put on my lululemon, and do a bunch of curls in the squat rack. i then post about it on rhizzone immediately. my doing so is an immediate personal threat to all hikikomori and must be combated in that most noble form of courtly combat: the frantically aggrieved forum post

libelous_slander posted:

everyone's view is probably projecting at its core but I doubt the types cman and rw are complaining about actually have rhizzone accounts.

its more likely that those who lift in this forum do it for its proven benefits to basic human functionality. Note I speak only for resistance training, not body building. Even ignoring aesthetics it allows for increased mobility, endurance, and independence, especially as you age. It coincides with vascular health, and helps to improve bone density.

I've grown up and continued to live in an area that is not LA, not colorado, and have witnessed plenty around me allow their body to degrade and wither, whether it's practicing veganism wrong, only eating fast food, or just never moving.

It is depressing because even light resistance training for 20 minutes a couple times a week would vastly help these people, so they don't turn into the shambling bloated corpses i see at the grocery, the ones that aren't in the motorized carts. Some of these people have significant difficulty negotiating a 4-inch curb.

agreed. i exercise because i dont want to be fat by the time i turn 30.

littlegreenpills posted:

isn't dragging your own fat ass around all day a good form of resistance training

this is why walking is so beneficial for the morbidly obese and is a Good First Step. Jumping Jacks and Push ups are also extremely beneficial in this scenario, but the more fit you are the less effective they are.

lol if your under 30
(stone)
i'm from an extended family full of farmers and "going to the gym" doesn't make sense to me. get your exercise from doing productive labor, don't be a degenerate bourgeois poser. like its cool to be healthier by walking/running/biking everywhere instead of driving, but i think just working out for the sake of working out is a disgusting luxury. if you want to Get Strong in the city but you work a shitty office rat job, volunteer at a major community garden/farm or something, make all that exertion contribute to something productive outside of yourself

shriekingviolet posted:

i'm from an extended family full of farmers and "going to the gym" doesn't make sense to me. get your exercise from doing productive labor, don't be a degenerate bourgeois poser. like its cool to be healthier by walking/running/biking everywhere instead of driving, but i think just working out for the sake of working out is a disgusting luxury. if you want to Get Strong in the city but you work a shitty office rat job, volunteer at a major community garden/farm or something, make all that exertion contribute to something productive outside of yourself

just out of interest have you ever farmed anything in your life

littlegreenpills posted:

i've raised extremely locally sourced crabs

yes??? I thought I made that clear in my post. even when your agriculture is industrialized there's more to it than just sitting in a tractor pulling the combine, if you're on a family farm and doing everything together as a small group there is a lot of backbreaking heavy work and you'll get ripped, just not in the absurd idealized shape promoted by bougie fitness culture.

i don't have experience with mass corporate farming which is radically different due to compartmentalization of labour and probably has doughy human blobs that just drive all day, that ain't me

shriekingviolet posted:

sounds like kulak ideology to me

littlegreenpills posted:

weed

i come from a long line of farmers. my granddad was a peasant dirt farmer and so were all his ancestors. this goes for pretty much everyone darker than a paper bag
he lived for several decades in leeds west yorkshire united kingdom and kept forlornly applying tropical farming techniques in his allotment on his day off from the iron foundry. he planted grape seeds from a supermarket bunch once. years later, shortly after he died, the vines covering the south wall of the house from coal cellar to attic window finally burst into a riotous display of fruit. they were about the size of blueberries and tasted like diabetes piss
[account deactivated]
jesus christ i meant that actual real farm work was a significant part of my childhood and early adulthood (my body is currently a broken ruin, hooraaay), and that influenced what i think of working out. are you that fucking dense because i don't see any point to being this deliberately obtuse. if you want to be fit i think it is better to get fit building something useful, this shouldn't be that controversial
[account deactivated]
i was also raised on a farm with my grandparents in poland, we owned rabbits and strawberries
i have all these emotions.
i want to get strong by pounding steel with a big sledgehammer down at the prole factory.
here's a vintage lgp post from 2011 which i think is super salient at this juncture, back when no one knew of my personal brand or my promiscuous wife who is real

littlegreenpills posted:

Impper, I actually have a serious suggestion, which may or may not be worthwhile depending on your metabolism etc. Get fat. Aim to put on fifty to seventy pounds in the next year. You could turn it into a cerebral project, picking up a few julia child books and six hundred dollars' worth of cookware; you could have buttered Oreos for every meal. I suspect the middle ground may be easiest and most rewarding; everyone knows how seductive a hobby cooking is. Experience the moment when you realize the commonalities, the Protean terror of learning that astonishing amounts of butter and cream seem make almost anything unaccountably delicious. There are other ways to make yourself physically repulsive, to cultivate self-loathing as a study and manipulate your fellow beings into visceral disgust; but none so easily reversible and none, I am sure, that can make you a petty, personal Oppenheimer in the comfort of your own home.