Nimrod Kramer

tpaine?? TPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAINE

not syria but related due to US talking points regarding russian airstrikes and fears of collateral damage

“These statements imply that Afghan and US forces working together decided to raze to the ground a fully functioning hospital with more than 180 staff and patients inside because they claim that members of the Taliban were present,” MSF stated. “This amounts to an admission of a war crime. This utterly contradicts the initial attempts of the US government to minimize the attack as ‘collateral damage.'”

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/we-have-committed-war-crime-patients-were-burning-their-beds

Edited by Urbandale ()

Urbandale posted:

“These statements imply that Afghan and US forces working together decided to raze to the ground a fully functioning hospital with more than 180 staff and patients inside because they claim that members of the Taliban were present,” MSF stated. “This amounts to an admission of a war crime. This utterly contradicts the initial attempts of the US government to minimize the attack as ‘collateral damage.'”

Gee that takes me back. Play it again uncle sam

http://reliefweb.int/report/afghanistan/icrc-chief-concerned-rise-afghan-civilian-casualties posted:

ICRC chief concerned at rise in Afghan civilian casualties

VIENNA, Oct 25 2001 (AFP) - The head of the International Committee for the Red Cross (ICRC) expressed concern Thursday at the growing number of civilian casualties from US air strikes in Afghanistan, where an ICRC warehouse was bombed last week.

"The United States have very much underlined that they want really to avoid civilian casualties, they have regretted what has happened with our warehouse," he told AFP.

The US Pentagon admitted that a US Navy fighter mistakenly dropped 1,000-pound (450-kilo) bombs on one or more warehouses used by the ICRC in Kabul last Tuesday, because they were believed to store military equipment.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/aponline/20011027/aponline161718_000.htm posted:

Red Cross Stunned by Bombing
By Naomi Koppel
Associated Press Writer
Saturday, Oct. 27, 2001; 4:17 p.m. EDT

GENEVA –– The international Red Cross has in the past seen its aid supplies looted, its staff threatened, attacked and even murdered. But it was stunned when U.S. warplanes bombed its aid compound in the Afghan capital, Kabul – for a second time.

"The word 'astounded' comes to mind,"
said Kim Gordon-Bates, spokesman for the International Committee of the Red Cross, Saturday. A day earlier, the United States dropped eight tons of bombs on the compound, setting fire to three of the four buildings still standing after the previous attack on Oct. 16.

After U.S. planes first hit one of the buildings in the Kabul aid compound on Oct. 16, the ICRC responded by "informing the U.S. authorities once again of the location of its facilities."

Gordon-Bates said he did not at first believe Friday's news that the compound – in which every building had a huge flag with a red cross on its roof – had been targeted again, and said the ICRC had so far received no explanation from the Pentagon.

The U.S. Defense Department admitted to reporters that the compound had been deliberately targeted and blamed "human error" for the mistake. It added that one of the bombs had missed its target and landed in a residential area of Kabul.

Gordon-Bates said the ICRC "deplored" the bombings but its biggest concern now was to ensure that there was no third mistake.

"Maybe flags on the roof and notifying them of our position is not enough. We will probably have to adapt," he said.

https://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/documents/misc/57jrdx.htm posted:

Geneva (ICRC) - The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) deplores the fact that bombs have once again been dropped on its warehouses in Kabul. A large (3X3 m) red cross on a white background was clearly displayed on the roof of each building in the complex. Initial reports indicate that nobody was hurt in this latest incident.

At about 11.30 a.m. local time, ICRC staff saw a large, slow-flying aircraft drop two bombs on the compound from low altitude. This is the same compound in which a building was destroyed in similar circumstances on 16 October. In this latest incident, three of the remaining four buildings caught fire. Two are said to have suffered direct hits.

The ICRC reiterates that attacking ... facilities marked with the red cross emblem constitutes a violation of international humanitarian law.

MSNBC posted:

The Red Cross warehouses in Kabul destroyed last week were not hit by accident, a senior U.S. military official told NBC News, saying they were bombed because Taliban troops had commandeered the food stored there.

How wonderful to see that 14 years of bombing sand-proles has quenched neither the bloodthirst nor the exceptionalist scofflaw attitude of the yankee

LsOMEUamYkc&start;=14

Edited by Flying_horse_in_saudi_arabia ()

Lmao
HJ61j9EW7d4
that's weird i thought RT was supposed to be inaccurate
who told you that
RT can be ridiculous (what news channel isn't?) on occasion but it's generally factually accurate and probably more fair than most Western news channels.

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

-can answer whether he has stairs in his house

-Like Moses, if Moses were more brown
man it's fleet week here in SF and i get all nervous everytime i hear one of those fucking jets go over my head even knowing they arent carrying any bombs
so what does america need turkey to support now
*slinks conspiratorially into thread in oversized trench coat*

...ISIS
i saw a SU-25 Frogfoot on the frontpage of the LA Times and I knew that... well lets hope we defund the A-10

i'll get the peace flags and ration card

RedMaistre posted:

HenryKrinkle posted:

this is only slightly relevant, but i'm just curious as to what you guys think of this perspective:

https://storify.com/HenryKrinkle/discussion-between-me-and

If your explanation of why members of group x are killing members of group y in the 21th century is "ancient 1,000 year old blood feud", your analysis of anything isn't very deep.

i mean how can you ever compare Sunnis to a goddamn settler shocktroop of colonialism and white supremacy is beyond me. scientific marxist analysis can explain the KKK perfectly. what it cant do is justify this stupid equivocation which *by some weird coincidence* plays directly into the imperial narrative of sectarianism and the bloodthirst of arabs precipitated by their ancient nature

Wowee zowee, he's a western maoist too,

[account deactivated]
to be fair, i suggested the KKK-Sunni insurgency comparison, but only after he compared Sunnis in post 2003 Iraq to whites in the post-Civil War southern US. it just seemed to follow, logically.
[account deactivated]
i remember there were attempts at Sunni-Shia insurgent unity that were most likely foiled by the US.

i mean, "divide and conquer" what's that? doy
[account deactivated]

HenryKrinkle posted:

to be fair, i suggested the KKK-Sunni insurgency comparison, but only after he compared Sunnis in post 2003 Iraq to whites in the post-Civil War southern US. it just seemed to follow, logically.

Nuff said.

"The first Shi'i to be appointed chief of staff of the Iraqi Army - Lieutenant General 'Abd al-Wahid Shannan Al Ribat - was named to that post in the time of the rule of the Baath.

a.. The person who held the post of Iraqi Foreign Minister the longest was Shi'i and that took place in the time the Baath ruled the country. Dr. Sa'dun Hammadi had that honor. Then the post was held throughout the 1990s by Muhammad Sa'id as-Sahhaf, and he was also Shi'i.

a.. The person who was in charge of Iraqi oil production the longest in the period of Baath Party rule was Shi'i - Dr. Sa'dun Hammadi - who was Minister of Petroleum some of that time and supervised the Ministry of Petroleum through his chairmanship of the Economic Committee of the Council of Ministers.

a.. The first time in the history of Iraq that Shi'i individuals held the post of Minister of Petroleum in succession was during the rule of the Baath. They were: Dr. Sa'dun Hammadi, Qasim Ahmad Taqi, 'Isam al-Chelebi (the cousin of Ahmad Chelebi). Thus, in fact Shi'ah occupied the post of Minister of Petroleum more than any other group in the history of Iraq and of the Baath. Working in responsible posts in the Ministry of Petroleum were Fadil al-Chelebi (a nephew of Ahmad Chelebi); Dr. 'Abd al-Amir al-Anbari, a Shi'i; Ramzi Salman, a Shi'i who was the Chairman of the Petroleum Marketing Board Sumo - the body responsible for Iraqi oil exports.

a.. The longest period during which Shi'ah held the post of Governor of the Central Bank of Iraq was in the period of Baath rule, the individual governors being Dr. 'Abd al-Hasan Zalzalah and Tariq at-Takmah Ji. This had never happened in any earlier era in the country.

a.. It was under the Baath that for the first time in the history of the Iraqi state, a Shi'i person held the post of Director of Public Security in Iraq. That individual was Nazim Kazzar. His assistant in that post was 'Ali Rida Bawah, who was a Shi'i of Kurdish background.

a.. The top official responsible for investigating crimes by members of the Da'wah Party, which functioned as an agency of Iran and set off bombs inside Iraq during the 1980s and 1990s, the man who put an end to the sabotage wrecked by that party was himself Shi'i - Security Colonel 'Ali al-Khaqani, a native of the Shi'i holy city of an-Najaf. This is something that no one, including Husayn ash-Shahrastani, can deny."

http://www.twf.org/News/Y2005/0325-Shia.html
[account deactivated]
Certainly, regardless of many of the real handicaps felt by Shia during Baath rule, this situation of broad integration into the institutions of the state and civil society bears no comparison to slavery in the Old South.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
I don't know much about the Sunnis in Iraq but as they are people they are undoubtedly more like the KKK than not
barrel bomb? more like barrel o' laughs
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=95c_1444140565

Panopticon posted:

barrel bomb? more like barrel o' laughs
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=95c_1444140565

someone translate those flyers plz

Sunday Times says British RAF is clear to shoot down Russian planes in Syria. ~lols~

Russian embassy says "uh, I bet they aren't, so this is just propaganda"

I'm siding with the embassy on this one

drwhat posted:

I'm siding with the embassy on this one

крылатая фраза

https://twitter.com/joolsd/status/653687550356385792
"Amid the ornate walls of Damascus' famed Omayyad Mosque, preacher Maamoun Rahmeh stood before worshippers last week, declaring Russian President Vladimir Putin a "giant and beloved leader" who has "destroyed the myth of the self-aggrandizing America."

Posters of Putin are popping up on cars and billboards elsewhere in parts of Syria and Iraq, praising the Russian military intervention in Syria as one that will redress the balance of power in the region.

The Russian leader is winning accolades from many in Iraq and Syria, who see Russian airstrikes in Syria as a turning point after more than a year of largely ineffectual efforts by the U.S.-led coalition to dislodge the Islamic State militants who have occupied significant parts of the two countries."

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/10/12/putin-craze-takes-hold-in-middle-east-praising-his-personality-and-charisma/

"More than 27,000 people have voted in our Express.co.uk poll with 71 per cent saying they "support Vladimir Putin's bombing campaign in Syria", which is blitzing a large number of Islamic State owned buildings and vehicles.

The emphatic approval rating comes despite growing tensions between Russia and the US-led coalition, including Britain, over Putin's actions in the Middle East."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/611495/Vladimir-Putin-bombing-campaign-poll-support-syria-middle-east
errybody in the club hug putin
putin strong like ox, not like gay american girly man. oh ho ho. i jimmy kimmel

littlegreenpills posted:

putin strong like ox, not like gay american girly man. oh ho ho.

-Jon Stewart

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

aerdil posted:

also a large portion of his "research" to debunk russian claims is "geolocating" bombing targets by just looking at google maps and trying to match up similar terrain with the images that have been released.

most of that has to be inaccurate and bullshit, right?

‏@anonmugwump Mugwump Retweeted rhizzone.txt
The same people who share this will never, ever cite any actual peer reviewed stuff https://twitter.com/rhizzone_txt/status/652526967305011205 … (also it's a misrepresentation)

lol i made the mistake of clicking on that guy's blog on the first post is a long-winded hawkish liberal defense of the west's relationship with authoritarian regimes like saudi arabia based entirely on the counterfactual that the world would be worse if we didn't support them.

dude has a nice future ahead of him at some conservative think tank