[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

i'm just waiting for the day when they realize that "gay" is a gender

thanks I'm super gay now

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

i just realized that 'misgender' is redundant. gendering itself is misgendering. you cannot even begin to grasp the true nature of my gender. it defies all categorization. it simply is.

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

a bigot.

don't sign your posts

'They' is really, really easy to use as a gender neutral pronoun, you just have to expend a small amount of effort for like maybe a week of knowing somebody who uses it and treating them respectfully, and it'll be as natural as anything else. People who complain about it adding ambiguities to spoken language haven't thought very hard about how english is already a total linguistic catastrophe, and in practice context fills in the gaps.

Skylark posted:

tpaine posted:
i don't know what to post in this thread anymre

I think the idea is that you wait til the next time you get misgendered to post in it again

at work the other day this really old white man walked up to me and said "what do we have here young lady" and i gave him a puzzled look through the beard net i have to wear on my face. after a second he had this horrified expression that i think had more to do with the shock of recognizing his senility and i felt bad to have to witness it. anyway i support skylark.

Skylark posted:

That doesnt seem to really be the case thoguh, the punchline of this thread and a lot of the posts in it are the idea of someone being gender-nonconforming, this for example.

I made this thread after i was irl referred to as "ma'am" by a Goodyear employee at 10:06 AM Friday morning. The only "punchline" is that today i went out and got a haircut because of it.

swampman posted:

3:10. "The daughter I never had," Mother cackles at her mobile from the home office. I clench the binding of The Mandarins so hard the book tears and the last few pages fall into bubble bath.

...it must be so nice to have a mom who says nice things......mom......

shriekingviolet posted:

'They' is really, really easy to use as a gender neutral pronoun, you just have to expend a small amount of effort for like maybe a week of knowing somebody who uses it and treating them respectfully, and it'll be as natural as anything else. People who complain about it adding ambiguities to spoken language haven't thought very hard about how english is already a total linguistic catastrophe, and in practice context fills in the gaps.

ask them where the second person plural went because people who cry about shit like "ambiguity" are never cool enough to say yall

Skylark posted:

Perhaps the special snowflake will be triggered if you dont use xir absurdly hilraious pronoun xir lol - Parody of 'social justice warriors' who are RUINING my life in no demonstrable way , if you like this joke read any mainstream website from 2013-2017 to read it again

meow

wasnt trying to parody social justice tumblr types, i was simply trying not to misgender tpaine, geez louise
also that's swampman's joke
*secures armor and rides away on horse*

aerdil posted:

wasnt trying to parody social justice tumblr types, i was simply trying not to misgender tpaine, geez louise

cars posted:

Well obviously it's not a coincidence that both people happened to pick the pronoun 'xhe', they did it because it's the go-to wacky pronoun everyone uses to demonstrate how kooky trans people/'pc culture' is.

Superabound posted:

I made this thread after i was irl referred to as "ma'am" by a Goodyear employee at 10:06 AM Friday morning.

Yeah and it's funny because misgendering is what the insane social justice people say, and you're saying it even though there's no danger or harm in you being misgendered. The thing that this, and sarcastically calling someone a bigot over a minor thing, and the insincere uses of the zany pronoun xhe have in common is that they make light of things that hurt real people. I don't think these jokes are extremely offensive in that regard but I guarantee every trans person has seen them invoked a billion times to invalidate them. My main issue is that they're just super played things to say.

Idk i don't like to argue and I'm uncomfortable writing all this crap about this. I'm just interested in jokes a lot, and im interested in gender a lot, and seeing this stuff over and over bugs me on both fronts as it were. I expect to see xhe jokes on mainstream internet, just as i would expect to see people saying cuck and stuff like that, which bothers me in the same way, but its disappointing to see it coming from people i expect better from. There are interesting conversations to have about these things but seeing the same few boring ideas repeated forever is very not-interesting

Edited by Skylark ()

IN COLLEGE i was sitting in starbucks staring off into the void because im autistic and a girl thought i was staring at her boob and started giving me the business but then i said "Actually i'm gay" so she walked away. then i turned to the girl sitting next to me and said '"im not gay actually". then that girl got mad at me for calling myseld gay when im not and her brothers gay and his life is hard. then i said " who cares i dont even know you" andd got up and left. i make it sound like it was cool but actually when i got up to leave i spilled bad coffee on my crotch skipped my next two classes to go home and have anxiety
anti-materialist, consistently erases gender, and what's more, extremely

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
the last time I was misgendered was on Friday by my boss, in front of a large group of people that I have to work with in future. so long as I don't disclose myself, I 'pass' as a fairly ugly + gawky woman, but after he stood up on the stage at a conference and outed me they now look at me like I'm an alien and a couple have openly said that they feel uncomfortable working with me and would prefer it if I relayed comments and emails indirectly through their co-workers, making it incredibly hard to do my job because of his comments.

quoth my boss when I commented on this, he can't/doesn't have to get it right because he is autistic and 'not wired that way'; if I say it to him in private it has literally no effect, and if I correct him in public he doesn't get angry with me so much as start to sulk and be non-communicative, meaning I a) have to take over for him and b) risk job insecurity because I'm on a quasi-zero-hours contract and lol if non-teaching academic staff have much in the way of HR support. trying to move to a different department but it's slow.

it's weird because he uses male pronouns/terms along with really creepy sexist condescension/harassment - so you get the uncomfortable outing from someone who 'doesn't respect your identity' (which would be one thing - but he's a pig, and so I don't care /that/ much - but comes with a whole lot of material impacts), but then you also get the gendered harassment targeted as a (trans) woman.

i will be sure to post in this thread the next time I am misgendered in public.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Skylark posted:

cars posted:

Well obviously it's not a coincidence that both people happened to pick the pronoun 'xhe', they did it because it's the go-to wacky pronoun everyone uses to demonstrate how kooky trans people/'pc culture' is

Ok, I really do a lot to police my own language in real life and online. I think all people have feelings of transsexuality whether they admit it openly, or to themselves, or whatever. Its a normal and very small part of being human. I don't think trans people are weird or kooky, except to the extent that they engage in identity politics. I think "xhe" is a particularly good choice at tHE r H i z z o n E because it is a conscious act to refuse to gender people I don't know, even famous people. Basically I am trying to avoid the "fundamental attribution error" in myself and in others. Sorry if I hurt your feelings skylark.

Skylark is right, it's hack. Sorry.

FSAD posted:

How are you supposed to pronounce xhe/xher anyway, I assume it's not ecks-he or zee is it? Asking for a friend.

its zee and zer

re: nongendered language in everyday conversation i usually use yall
[account deactivated]

Skylark posted:

Yeah and it's funny because misgendering is what the insane social justice people say, and you're saying it even though there's no danger or harm in you being misgendered. The thing that this, and sarcastically calling someone a bigot over a minor thing, and the insincere uses of the zany pronoun xhe have in common is that they make light of things that hurt real people. I don't think these jokes are extremely offensive in that regard but I guarantee every trans person has seen them invoked a billion times to invalidate them. My main issue is that they're just super played things to say.

I dont understand why you think being misgendered as a non-trans person is any less harmful than being misgendered as a transgender person. If anything, it is even more psychologically wounding because there's no mutually understandable material grounds for the confusion. I have been misgendered literally countless times throughout my life, just because I am a fairly graceful man of slight build who for a large percentage of his existence has chosen to have long, luxurious hair. Which, as previously noted, I immediately cut off to better adhere to the proscribed gender norms of society re: my own internalized sense of gender. Which, were I not cis scum, would be seen as Brave and Heroic, rather than Cowardly and Pathetic, which I am. Sorry for making this thread in an attempt to ameliorate my own gender insecurities through shared humor.

#allgendersmatter
*manly man looks at Superabound's handwriting*

"WOW, YOU WRITE LIKE A GIRL"

*dies inside*
[account deactivated]
4:41 PM - My powerful masculine silence, used to control the situation around me, was confused for a weak feminine silence indicating submission or an inability to contribute.
[account deactivated]
i wasn't actually saying we shouldn't steal jokes from swampman.
[account deactivated]

Skylark posted:

aerdil posted:

cars posted:

Well obviously it's not a coincidence that both people happened to pick the pronoun 'xhe', they did it because it's the go-to wacky pronoun everyone uses to demonstrate how kooky trans people/'pc culture' is.

Superabound posted:

I made this thread after i was irl referred to as "ma'am" by a Goodyear employee at 10:06 AM Friday morning.

Idk i don't like to argue and I'm uncomfortable writing all this crap about this. I'm just interested in jokes a lot, and im interested in gender a lot, and seeing this stuff over and over bugs me on both fronts as it were. I expect to see xhe jokes on mainstream internet, just as i would expect to see people saying cuck and stuff like that, which bothers me in the same way, but its disappointing to see it coming from people i expect better from. There are interesting conversations to have about these things but seeing the same few boring ideas repeated forever is very not-interesting

Thanks, skylark, for gracing us played out normies with your presence again. i feel like shit we disappointed someone so worldly as you....

skylark is right