blood sister: one tough nun
i read it a year ago and already forgot how it ended, Too Much To Remember
it's a great book and i thought the ending was fantastic

animedad posted:
i see houellebecq as a guy that creates a fictional world in which truthful action and finding one's own place is downright impossible. this premise is scary as fuck, and obviously resonates with a lot of the insecurities of young rhizzoners who, like me, have a grim view of the world and haven't yet found a way to make an impact aside from reading/writing. i mean, we're all posting on the internet a lot right? that's not exactly the mark of a well lived life. something's afoot, and i think houellebecq describes it well.

you can't figure out how to make an impact because you're cynical and you're self absorbed. go outside. join a marxist group. work with unions even though they're reactionary. agitate like fuck in your community. do something for other people you spoiled little shits.

don't go to a third world country and sleep with prostitutes that doesn't count as activism. good writing material though! mind you that's all you guys care about anyway

art can like..... do things, to the world
teh world is so grim

Meursault posted:

revolutionary art can, bourgeois art is only aesthetic

is this cos of bhpn and his tacit admission of getting the clap off of a prostitute in indonesia? cos i dont think he wanted writing material

futurewidow posted:

Meursault posted:

it's cool to be able to worry about aesthetics

littlegreenpills posted:
is this cos of bhpn and his tacit admission of getting the clap off of a prostitute in indonesia? cos i dont think he wanted writing material

it's a much broader trend of a lot of dudes here going through their hemmingway phase

Groulxsmith posted:
it's a much broader trend of a lot of dudes here going through their hemmingway phase

it's cool when abusing women becomes a phase they're going thru. silly boys!

littlegreenpills posted:

nah that was just pleasant bonus. he came in acting all high and mighty, much better than those liberals he was on the trip with then drops that little bomb lmao

i fuck a lot of women and do third world drugs and embrace casual misogyny but i do so only to highlight the contradictions of late capitalism or something
im sure
im gonna raise a good family

futurewidow posted:
im sure

i thought that came across transparently sarcastic but such is the tenor of our forum times

Meursault posted:

futurewidow posted:

Meursault posted:

it's cool to be able to worry about aesthetics

aesthetics without action is nothing!! it's as hollow and empty as men's hearts! it's vulgar! tawdry! it's nothing!!!!

Groulxsmith posted:

futurewidow posted:
im sure

i thought that came across transparently sarcastic but such is the tenor of our forum times

mmm it sure did

I haven't read houellebecq yet, but isn't his sex tourism novel about how godawful the people who engage in it are, how weak and cruel and pathetic they are? And isn't there an optimistic end to it with a future utopia? I know I read THAT part. I'm not optimistic about liberal democracy either, but I'm not a pessimistic mysogynist (hopefully)
i admire the hatred within you fw and i realize that is a patronizing thing to say but i mean it genuinely

Crow posted:
I haven't read houellebecq yet, but isn't his sex tourism novel about how godawful the people who engage in it are, how weak and cruel and pathetic they are?

not really imo

though even if you take that away from it, i think that makes it impossible to not see it as virulently islamophobic

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
The Entitled, Shocking and Adventuring European White Male Journalist Philippe Servaty traveled to Morroco to rape, manipulate and blackmail around 80 Muslim women. He took photos of them naked and in degrading positions after promising them money and EU citizenship. Once back in Europe and in the safe loving arms of his wife he published the photos, claiming proudly that “there is no better drug than to ejaculate on the veiled face of a woman." He then wet himself and cried about censorship once people started sending him death threats. Wah wah why can't people take a joke about the human condition in this, my So PoMo World. Wah wah why can't people get art anymore

this Speaks to me

[account deactivated]

futurewidow posted:
aesthetics without action is nothing!! it's as hollow and empty as men's hearts! it's vulgar! tawdry! it's nothing!!!!

agreed 100%

i want to put my dick in the black hole of meaningless aesthetic self-reflexivity. i write to expose myself for the feeble shallow first world idiot i am, because its the only sentiment i can express, and maybe someone better than me will come along and provide a meaningful antithesis to my vacuity
shut up child boy
isnt it sad that there are 12 year olds in mauritania who have more dignity and masculinity in the positive sense of adulthood than 99% of western men
yall jsut run around looking for another chemical teat to suckle on grow up Children Grow Up already

babyfinland posted:
isnt it sad that there are 12 year olds in mauritania who have more dignity and masculinity in the positive sense of adulthood than 99% of western men

ya this is exactly what i'm saying?? we're all utterly infantilised, we post on internet forums ferchristsake

deadken posted:

babyfinland posted:

ya this is exactly what i'm saying?? we're all utterly infantilised, we post on internet forums ferchristsake

*says things defensively in a question form for no reason, soils diapies*

Gain Strength and Direction. Do it now

deadken posted:

babyfinland posted:

So are you gonna do something about or..?? Does mr. Stabby have to materrialize???

im going to write a Raasclaat Book
all i have is the marxist weapon of criticism and self-criticism
you should write a wordy stick-figure webcomic
[account deactivated]
The pig man cometh
webcomics are the "realest" artform, basically
change my name to Frantz Fanfic