babyfinland posted:

mudcrabs posted:
Whenever I read about these places I just want to organize an armed liberation of every child in them.

go back to wddp

wddp. widdip. wddp dot org.

[account deactivated]
no!!!
[account deactivated]
ive never even been on wddp in the first place i left as soon as lf closed

Lessons posted:

babyfinland posted:

mudcrabs posted:

Whenever I read about these places I just want to organize an armed liberation of every child in them.

go back to wddp

[account deactivated]

babyfinland posted:

Lessons posted:

babyfinland posted:

mudcrabs posted:

go back to wddp

i don't appreciate being propositioned

[account deactivated]
DM I love you and your postings and parsings of neolib news events have made me the shitty nihilist noob I am today, and I welcome death in its many forms

tpaine posted:
i'm drinking sierra nevada torpedo and smoking a black and mild dark blend

Torpedo owns!!!!

DM now that you are an officially free adult (tm) under contract with the constitution of the United States of America - have you thought about getting training in education or advocacy and working with teens who need understanding adults?

one day all the aesthete whiners and nihilist dopes of the rhizzone will probably find themselves taking shahadah and becoming respectable people

thats the way things seem to be trending
[account deactivated]
Basically DM you own.

tpaine posted:
i wish you the best on your recovery but lol if you're a having sex

it works anyways b/c i lost all interest for a couple years lol

NounsareVerbs posted:
DM now that you are an officially free adult (tm) under contract with the constitution of the United States of America - have you thought about getting training in education or advocacy and working with teens who need understanding adults?

i would definitely like to!

mudcrabs posted:

that's because you can't even imagine what taking the problem seriously will require!!!

Edited by dm ()

are you implying that I'm not serious?
maybe you are but currently youre only engaging it on a fanciful and gut reaction level
I'm not denying that it's fantastical but it is my gut reaction

mudcrabs posted:
I'm not denying that it's fantastical but it is my gut reaction

You have my axe.

or more literally, my katana

oh youre back, finally i can start paying attention to the econ threads again
i wouldn't count on it, but we'll see. i still have a lot healing to as long as circumstances continue to permit it

noavbazzer posted:

one day all the aesthete whiners and nihilist dopes of the rhizzone will probably find themselves taking shahadah and becoming respectable people

thats the way things seem to be trending

[account deactivated]
lol
holy shit, i remembered that i maintained contact with someone there after i got out long enough to add each other on facebook. she's a few years younger than me and apparently got sent to another place in Texas after the one where we met. she worked with one of the groups that made the legislation attempts for a little bit (it didn't go so well).

Personal Problems...
[account deactivated]

me posted:
Did you go through a thing where you sort of didn't realize what happened was really wrong for a while, but you were so accustomed to telling everyone you were "doing better now" and you sort of had to figure it out on your own?

her posted:
I know what you're talking about...for me, I was so used to being told that my perspectives and feelings were wrong that I stopped being able to properly identify or express what I felt. It became easier to keep things to myself and / or brush off everything as "I'm doing alright" because after a while I didn't know what else to do.

Wittgenstein posted:
“How am I able to follow a rule?” -- If this is not a question about causes, then it is about the justification for my acting in this way in complying with the rule.

Once I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock, and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: “This is simply what I do.”

(Remember that we sometimes demand explanations for the sake not of their content, but of their form. Our requirement is an architectural one; the explanation a kind of sham corbel that supports nothing.)

im not sure its that rare to become slightly schizo in childhood as a result of being scolded for expressing ones thoughts or feelings, usually through a combination of anti-intellectual demagogery (i.e. a normal middle class upbringing) and the fact that kids really are the ultimate fucktards and should shut the fuck up about everything

usually you grow out of it when youre living independently and get to think shit through for yourself though i appreciate you guys gotta do this later than most
this has nothing to do with schizophrenia, but there were some schizophrenic kids there. if you absolutely need a medical paradigm, this is more like what you're looking for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_fugue

keep in mind that she is now 23 and i'm 25. when i met her, i think she was 15 and i was 17 and we were in that place. if you met her now, she would seem perfectly normal and well-adjusted. think back to before i posted about this thread real quick:

I'm not used to people picking up on any of it unless I tell them about it. I'm usually the motherly, responsible, even keel voice of reason and calm for others, people kinda put me on a pedestal in that way, so finding out I have problems with this blows their minds.

loolll

[account deactivated]
"Mr. Emerson visited Thoreau at the jail, and the meeting between the two philosophers must have been interesting and somewhat dramatic. The account of the meeting was told me by Miss Maria Thoreau Henry, why are you here? Waldo, why are you not here?"
[account deactivated]

dm posted:
this has nothing to do with schizophrenia, but there were some schizophrenic kids there. if you absolutely need a medical paradigm, this is more like what you're looking for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_fugue

keep in mind that she is now 23 and i'm 25. when i met her, i think she was 15 and i was 17 and we were in that place. if you met her now, she would seem perfectly normal and well-adjusted. think back to before i posted about this thread real quick:

I'm not used to people picking up on any of it unless I tell them about it. I'm usually the motherly, responsible, even keel voice of reason and calm for others, people kinda put me on a pedestal in that way, so finding out I have problems with this blows their minds.

loolll

i didnt mean schizophrenia but like general non pathological schizo behaviour that isnt a disorder as much as an adaptation, its super normal

it's ok, i appreciated the sentiment. like i said, earlier, schizophrenia is something to be careful talking about because it's really badly understood in general.

she's going to be gone for the weekend, but we're going to talk a lot more next week. i won't be c/ping anything more because it's going to be between us. i will give you an idea of how insane the conversation would seem if you sort of overheard us talking about it somewhere though

question i'm waiting for her to answer when she gets back (almost certain the answer will be yes):

Do you remember having a vague feeling that you were dead/going to die at some point while you were there?

i think the whole "brainwashing" idea is attractive because it's so difficult to conceive of someone having agency while going through something like that. people talk as if your brain just sort of "shuts off" or something. that would have been way too easy. the whole point is that you can't do that

you also have to deal with the consequences as exemplified by that one quote above:

I know what you're talking about...for me, I was so used to being told that my perspectives and feelings were wrong that I stopped being able to properly identify or express what I felt. It became easier to keep things to myself and / or brush off everything as "I'm doing alright" because after a while I didn't know what else to do.

you're sort of conditioned to act as though simply conforming to peoples' expectations is identical to being happy and saying “This is simply what I do.” i'm going to make sure that she has an easier time coming to terms with it than i did now that i have some Theory to work with

dm posted:
you're sort of conditioned to act as though simply conforming to peoples' expectations is identical to being happy and saying “This is simply what I do.”

I'm pretty sure this is how the majority of the adult world operates also.

yeah, but the majority of the adult world doesn't have to worry about insulting tpaine's lyrical skills right now.

she offered before and the reason she can trust me now is that i didn't take her up on it. neither of us has mentioned it explicitly and i'm giving her cover, but she said some stuff indicating she was embarrassed about it.

babyhueypnewton posted:
Yeah but that's the response everyone who goes through a bad thing gets. Oh wow, I'm sorry. Is there anything I can do for you (as long as you don't actually answer yes)? Wow, that's terrible. Solidarity and compassion has it's place for someone who suffers trauma, especially if that's what the thread was about. I'm not saying you're a bad person. But I'm glad DM has moved beyond needing sympathy and trauma relief, because otherwise there's nothing we could do except perversely watch the thread and end up with a giant safe space where no discussion is allowed. This is a thread for discussion and meaningful societal analysis, not a therapeutic session among anonymous internet people.

emptyquote