[account deactivated]

Urbandale posted:

neither of them are organizing against patriarchy anyway so these walls of text talking about what the right way to do things are should be read as attempts to evade their duty as supposedly revolutionary orgs

Capitalism IS the Patriarchy, and all mentions of "The Patriarchy" by Feminists are just Liberalism's way of insulating Capitalism from criticism and any responsibility for the social alienation and cultural and interpersonal ills of modern society, Hope This Helps

[account deactivated]
NWBTCW
[account deactivated]

Urbandale posted:

NAMBLA's name is perennially dragged through the plentiful Boston mud, having been pounded for over 20 years by media smears and witchhunting prosecutions. We in the Spartacist League have repeatedly defended this tiny beleaguered group as an elementary act of proletarian decency. We oppose criminalizing their advocacy of the eminently reasonable proposition that youth who have sexual feelings be allowed to express them. NAMBLA simply advocates the decriminalization of consensual sex between men and boys.

https://libcom.org/library/international-communist-league-nambla

oh look, Literal Fucking Trots ratfucking Communism by publicly allying themselves with morally repugnant boogeymen, what else is new

[account deactivated]
i tried playing that game but only got like 6fps
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Superabound posted:

Urbandale posted:

neither of them are organizing against patriarchy anyway so these walls of text talking about what the right way to do things are should be read as attempts to evade their duty as supposedly revolutionary orgs

Capitalism IS the Patriarchy

nope

yeah but material/historical conditions and the capitalist mode of production are the determinants for those arguments so doesn't it come back to capitalism?

capitalism isnt a determinant though, patriarchy existed before it which is engels whole argument. its articulated via capitalism just like it was articulated via feudalism, but thats a very different claim.

unless im completely misunderstanding you
im gonna sleep on this one. thou shalt not effortpost on The Sabbath at 3am

Urbandale posted:

capitalism isnt a determinant though, patriarchy existed before it which is engels whole argument. its articulated via capitalism just like it was articulated via feudalism, but thats a very different claim.

so did money, markets, commodities, labor, debt, rent, and class. but these things gain new form as generalized relations between two great irreconcilable classes and are thus determined by capitalism. same for racism, patriarchy, and whatever identity issue you want pick.

yes? i mean, im responding to someone claiming capitalism is a determinant of patriarchy, not anything else. if youre arguing that capitalism IS the determinant then i disagree on the same grounds as before, since your comment doesnt actually address anything i said

e: sorry need to read more thoroughly. naw, the determinant of patriarchy is the family unit, how that method of oppression is articulated is where the mode of production comes in.

Edited by Urbandale ()

[account deactivated]

Urbandale posted:

1) This isn't a very good reading of Engels. He very clearly believes that family structure is determined by material conditions, (generally understood as economic conditions, most importantly the means of production and the relations of production), just like the rest of society. Whether patriarchy existed prior to capitalism is neither here nor there. Economic exploitation existed prior to capitalism as well.

2) We shouldn't take a 130-year-old secondhand anthropology text as the definitive word on this subject just because it was written by Engels.

Lessons posted:

Urbandale posted:

1) This isn't a very good reading of Engels. He very clearly believes that family structure is determined by material conditions, (generally understood as economic conditions, most importantly the means of production and the relations of production), just like the rest of society. Whether patriarchy existed prior to capitalism is neither here nor there. Economic exploitation existed prior to capitalism as well.

2) We shouldn't take a 130-year-old secondhand anthropology text as the definitive word on this subject just because it was written by Engels.

Actually Engels owns and is always right but otherwise I agree

babyhueypnewton posted:

Actually Engels owns and is always right but otherwise I agree

this would be funny if it wasn't all of your posts. no wait i guess that's still funny

Lessons posted:

Ross Wolfe has a new article on intersectionality, supposedly the first of series. It's very critical of the concept, but I think it stays true to the intersectional spirit by not really saying anything interesting or useful.

http://thecharnelhouse.org/2014/02/02/postmodern-origins-of-intersectionality/

he needs to say how his profoundly unmarxist heroes Zizek and badiou fit into the post-Fall intellectual history, otherwise it's pretty dishonest

the sparts thing has gotta be the result of a bunch of fbi agents sitting around one day realizing they make up most of the members now and wondering what position they could take to make leftism seem morally repugnant

Lessons posted:

Urbandale posted:

1) that sounds like a bad reading of engels to me. it was the family structure, the usurpation of the gens, which allowed a change in the mode of production in the first place.

2) well his work is still well received in anthropology, or at least radical anthropology. while it requires a few updates for details the work is still considered accurate. here's eleanor burke leacock's intro.

Urbandale posted:

1) that sounds like a bad reading of engels to me. it was the family structure, the usurpation of the gens, which allowed a change in the mode of production in the first place.

I don't remember if that's what Engels said (I think it isn't but don't quote me on) but it's also beside the point. Whether changes to family structure were the original cause of changes to the mode of production is a matter of historical fact but is irrelevant to contemporary social relations. This is what Engels has to say about the modern era, I'm bolding it because it directly contradicts what you've been claiming about the text:

The legal inequality of the two partners, bequeathed to us from earlier social conditions, is not the cause but the effect of the economic oppression of the woman.

Engels sees patriarchy as a particular economic relation acting in parallel to class relations. He talks about "the economic foundations of monogamy". He understands the problem in explicit economic terms, and envisions economic solutions:

Then it will be plain that the first condition for the liberation of the wife is to bring the whole female sex back into public industry, and that this in turn demands the abolition of the monogamous family as the economic unit of society.

The general thrust of the work is: just like class relations, familial and legal relations are the product underlying material forces that correspond to given stages of historical development. This is what you would expect a historical materialist like Engels to say. There is no sense in which patriarchy is prior to class society, it is just a particular social relation that corresponds to class society. It existed before capitalism, just as the state and private property existed before capitalism, but under capitalism (just like those relations) it comes into conflict with the means of production, and in the ensuing communist period it will be done away with along with class and the state.

I don't want to suggest that Engels is a reductionist and thinks that patriarchy is just a subset of class relations. He doesn't, you're correct about that. What I don't understand is how you come out from Origin thinking that the point is that familial relations are somehow independent from and prior too the mode of production which can only "articulate" things, whatever that means. We know that doesn't apply to class relations and the state, what could possibly make you think that he'd say the family was somehow different?

Lessons posted:

I don't want to suggest that Engels is a reductionist and thinks that patriarchy is just a subset of class relations. He doesn't, you're correct about that. What I don't understand is how you come out from Origin thinking that the point is that familial relations are somehow independent from and prior too the mode of production which can only "articulate" things, whatever that means. We know that doesn't apply to class relations and the state, what could possibly make you think that he'd say the family was somehow different?

Oh I don't think the family structure is independent, I might have been unclear on that. I meant that it came to exist to serve an economic purpose. That's kinda what I meant when I said its articulated through the mode of production. the family structure changes (gens->monogomy) which interacts with and allows the change in the economic unit (gens->family). i dont really get where youre saying the state comes in to what im saying though, could you expand on that? perhaps I just need to reread the book again.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
nice Overman Committee propaganda

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9906E3D81539E13ABC4E51DFB6678383609EDE

But you Communists would introduce community of women, screams the bourgeoisie in chorus.

The bourgeois sees his wife a mere instrument of production. He hears that the instruments of production are to be exploited in common, and, naturally, can come to no other conclusion that the lot of being common to all will likewise fall to the women.

He has not even a suspicion that the real point aimed at is to do away with the status of women as mere instruments of production.

For the rest, nothing is more ridiculous than the virtuous indignation of our bourgeois at the community of women which, they pretend, is to be openly and officially established by the Communists. The Communists have no need to introduce community of women; it has existed almost from time immemorial.

Our bourgeois, not content with having wives and daughters of their proletarians at their disposal, not to speak of common prostitutes, take the greatest pleasure in seducing each other’s wives.

Bourgeois marriage is, in reality, a system of wives in common and thus, at the most, what the Communists might possibly be reproached with is that they desire to introduce, in substitution for a hypocritically concealed, an openly legalised community of women. For the rest, it is self-evident that the abolition of the present system of production must bring with it the abolition of the community of women springing from that system, i.e., of prostitution both public and private.

[account deactivated]
that reminds me, i need to find a wife.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
How would you take "women must be nationalized as a public resource" from that?

Even in the dreaded, scary, bad *thunder clap as bats cascade from a church bell tower* "actually existing communism" women's freedoms expandedly drastically in almost every instance.

http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/shaw/works/guide3.htm
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]