Petrol posted:

in case anyone was wondering what "studies" "prove", something about "pleasure centers" in the brain "lighting up" when the subject is made to "feel superior" to some other person. psychology, king of sciences

that doesn't sound like quackery at all actually

lol, "a stimulus" causes "extra activity" in "a section of the brain known for more than half a century to specialize in certain processes." it is to laugh
le phrenology face

libelous_slander posted:

my brain lights up when you post

there's a study that explains that too http://www.ub.edu/web/ub/en/menu_eines/noticies/2014/10/063.html

babyfinland posted:

ever notice how there are never hispanics joining black riots, and vice versa? maybe its because minorities hate each other?

there's like 0 hispanic population in stl for some reason. maybe cuz they were smart enough to avoid it on their way to chicago.

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

ok this monkey is bigger so it bosses the other monkeys around. therefore, shareholders can tell a ceo to tell a lawyer to tell another lawyer to tell your boss's boss to tell him to tell you to do something unless a policeman says he can't (although a federal agent might disagree) because a bunch of senators said so unless the president believes otherwise usually, but even if they both agree your boss still can't if judges say so unless the military seriously disagrees.

As long as i dont have to do what my dad tells me

Petrol posted:

libelous_slander posted:

there's a study that explains that too http://www.ub.edu/web/ub/en/menu_eines/noticies/2014/10/063.html

thank you for teaching me australian, an exotic and poetic eastern language

libelous_slander posted:

Petrol posted:

libelous_slander posted:

thank you for teaching me australian, an exotic and poetic eastern language

no wuzzas.

Themselves posted:

I have said from time to time that I was born a white man, have lived as a white man, and am still a white man, I am an “insider,” I know how we whites generally think and feel, even if for many reasons and experiences I have departed from (I hope) much or most of the common preconceptions and prejudices that are part of white culture. We must “travel well beyond (our) current (white)social circles. This may not be easy, but it is a must. An unavoidable must, morally and simply in terms of what is essential in the real world. If we are unwilling to take up this essential assignment, we will not understand the world around us that cannot be escaped. It is what we have.

I've been watching a lot of anime as well.

are those dumb duck-ass crackers or dumb duck ass-crackers

notciaNOTjew posted:

Themselves posted:

I have said from time to time that I was born a white man, have lived as a white man, and am still a white man, I am an “insider,” I know how we whites generally think and feel, even if for many reasons and experiences I have departed from (I hope) much or most of the common preconceptions and prejudices that are part of white culture. We must “travel well beyond (our) current (white)social circles. This may not be easy, but it is a must. An unavoidable must, morally and simply in terms of what is essential in the real world. If we are unwilling to take up this essential assignment, we will not understand the world around us that cannot be escaped. It is what we have.

I've been watching a lot of anime as well.

Edited by Themselves ()

ip1XtsAdn2o

Petrol posted:

in case anyone was wondering what "studies" "prove", something about "pleasure centers" in the brain "lighting up" when the subject is made to "feel superior" to some other person. psychology, king of sciences

ah my chosen career. im going to write an effort post about how modern psychology is equal parts phrenology and trash very soon.

The basis of modern psych is the cognitive computational model of the mind, which has pretty much leeched into the laymans understanding of psych as well as into research. The brain is supposed to be a collection of independent modules. The explanation for how the brain works is to break its functions down into geographical areas, despite there being no evidence that functions of the brain can be localised like this. It pisses me off and it's accepted without question and its partly to do with making money and staying employed. The only critics of this are the remnants of the realist school of psych philosophy who are all old crotchety dudes with good critiques but pretty basic and unadaptive positions. I've asked the head of the psych department at my university about their criticisms and he said "yes it's probably true but hey we can't just stop doing research". This is barely scratching the surface though, ive got about 1700 words together hopefully ill have like 3 to 4 thousand for a rhiz effortpost.

Petrol posted:

*places hand gingerly upon whirring, chittering Some Studies Show-ing machine*

Its afraid....ITS AFRAID!!

Gibbonstrength posted:

The basis of modern psych is the cognitive computational model of the mind, which has pretty much leeched into the laymans understanding of psych as well as into research. The brain is supposed to be a collection of independent modules. The explanation for how the brain works is to break its functions down into geographical areas, despite there being no evidence that functions of the brain can be localised like this. It pisses me off and it's accepted without question and its partly to do with making money and staying employed. The only critics of this are the remnants of the realist school of psych philosophy who are all old crotchety dudes with good critiques but pretty basic and unadaptive positions. I've asked the head of the psych department at my university about their criticisms and he said "yes it's probably true but hey we can't just stop doing research". This is barely scratching the surface though, ive got about 1700 words together hopefully ill have like 3 to 4 thousand for a rhiz effortpost.

make th e effortposst and i will read it

we will all read the effortpost
i, too, want to read the effortpost. i cant say im super surprised because sometimes i talk to people who study individual neurons and we have so little understanding of the individual neuron that i have no idea how anyone can be remotely confident in our understanding of how a bunch of them put together work. whenever i read about it i think about the guy who shocked a line of 200 monks holding hands with a leyden jar at a party but with better statistical methods.

Gibbonstrength posted:

The explanation for how the brain works is to break its functions down into geographical areas, despite there being no evidence that functions of the brain can be localised like this.

uh yes there is

we have over a century of evidence that destruction of a specific area of a brain consistently produces the same results in behavior and cognition. including lobotomies this has probably replicated tens of thousands of times
like afaik stuff like the circadian clock and hormone secretion (i think?) are pretty well understood as being localized but as far as i can tell the evidence that things like "motor control" are necessarily localized comes down to "well we did a bunch of fMRI and it sure looks like it" because no one understands how motor control works, whereas the human circadian clock, while still largely obscure, at least has useful models.
people barely have any idea of how motor control works in insects let alone and sort of vertebrate

e: and before anyone starts on about the cyborg cockroaches that some dingus put on a TEDx stage, that has nothing to do with motor control. they work by stimulating antennae to make the buggie feel like the path in a certain direction is blocked

Edited by c_man ()

yesterday my therapist showed me a clip from MADtv.
which one

we have over a century of evidence that destruction of a specific area of a brain consistently produces the same results in behavior and cognition. including lobotomies this has probably replicated tens of thousands of times

If you're talking about double dissociation studies then no, those certainly don't prove that even remotely. They prove that the brain isn't a homogenous lump, they certainly don't show that specific areas perform specific "behaviour" or "cognition". I mean studies like that allow us to conclusively demonstrate that the brain is an Incredibly complex thing which, if disrupted in a specific geographic region will produce similar results between individuals. It demonstrates specific disruption of normal processing (whatever that even is) but not the sudden leap to "that part of the brain we burnt was the home of that function, it was where that ill defined function lived and was produced."

Gibbonstrength posted:

If you're talking about double dissociation studies then no, those certainly don't prove that even remotely. They prove that the brain isn't a homogenous lump, they certainly don't show that specific areas perform specific "behaviour" or "cognition". I mean studies like that allow us to conclusively demonstrate that the brain is an Incredibly complex thing which, if disrupted in a specific geographic region will produce similar results between individuals. It demonstrates specific disruption of normal processing (whatever that even is) but not the sudden leap to "that part of the brain we burnt was the home of that function, it was where that ill defined function lived and was produced."

is this some monist crap

Gibbonstrength posted:

I'm not sure this is all that important of a distinction. Even if the primary visual cortex doesn't have sole responsibility for visual processing, that doesn't undermine the concept of localized brain functions let alone the whole computational model of the mind. You're probably right that cognitive neuroscience overreaches and people should be more skeptical about drawing conclusions from an fMRI but like your dept head said IDK what you expect people to do instead.

Gibbonstrength posted:

is this some monist crap

Every research psychologist working today is a "monist" in the relevant sense.

a scientist in 1940 receives a timeshipment of 100 laptops. baffled, he attempts to determine their function by disconnecting discrete components, starting by removing all of their video cards. sure, now none of them have any display, but that doesn't mean the "ability to display images" is wholly held within that section, obviously it's a more holistic system, and, also, sophistry
If you remove a laptop's GPU it will actually just not boot, but there are other things you could do to the hardware to prevent it from displaying anything that are only tangentially related/completely unrelated to the GPU.
AND THEN MY CONSOLE WOULD REALLY SUCK
Here's anatomical example: if you remove a person's pancreas, their digestion will fail and they'll eventually starve to death no matter how much they eat. This might lead you to believe that the pancreas digests food, but it doesn't, it produces digestive enzymes and hormones that control blood sugar.
next session show xer this:
RDjCqjzbvJY

Lessons posted:

Here's anatomical example: if you remove a person's pancreas, their digestion will fail and they'll eventually starve to death no matter how much they eat. This might lead you to believe that the pancreas digests food, but it doesn't, it produces digestive enzymes and hormones that control blood sugar.

thats a good example in sincerity. maybe i am being a bit simplistic.

on the other hand you believe transgenders have "womens brains" which is both a real robust thing and in some way distinguishable from a mental illness with a neurological basis even though an MRI to confirm is not considered a requirement of genital removal
lol you think "mental illness" is a "robust thing"

a scientist in 1940 receives a timeshipment of 100 laptops. baffled, he attempts to determine their function by disconnecting discrete components, starting by removing all of their video cards. sure, now none of them have any display, but that doesn't mean the "ability to display images" is wholly held within that section, obviously it's a more holistic system, and, also, sophistry

lol. go back to reddit

i fucking love Science
speaking as a keyboard jockey you guys need to 1. not buy laptops with external video cards and 2. download the onboard video drivers and just get a display that way

i have no idea how this relates to neuroscience