it is 4 in the morning and i am drunk watching the news and i look at my child and i am sad because i want to give her everything and i can't even give her a world where there is justice
i not only can't give her justice i can't give her a world where the desire for justice is considered madness and just cause for placement on a watchlist
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
the psychotic half-sentient turning bots infected with rage virus you declaim and mock and denounce on reddit and somethingawful and elsewhere are not only younger and more educated and rational than the average, they also have the benefit of nearly infinite time to express and contemplate their opinions. the average person is so much worse

tpaine posted:

it's your mistake for bringing a new thing into the world

Schopenhauer Was Right

the rejection of empiricism is symptomatic of a faith-based and not evidence-based opinion on this species
http://www.marcuse.org/herbert/pubs/60spubs/65repressivetolerance.htm

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

i ask everyone who believes in, if not the essential decency of the human race, then at least in hope for the american people: how do you justify the behavior of americans wrt cop worship

doesn't t-paine work at one of those hellish amazon warehouses?
christ thats gotta suck
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
what u do tpaine
[account deactivated]
working warehouse isn't bad in terms of wage or OT, it's just a circus act to determine which dumb mother fucker will drop shit on you because he either had a bad night milking his fix or waited for the morning to get his high. also lazy co-workers who like to schmooze instead of work; thus, increasing your work load. also managers with ridiculous expectations dropped on them by corporate. also manager "pitching-in" working alongside the workers as some weak ass attempt at solidarity while actually slowing down the rhythm. also manager bitching at you to step it up because of his failed effort at "pitching-in". also you wanting to burn the warehouse down out of frustration in a crude attempt to collect unemployment. wow, it's only been a few years and I still can recall this.
[account deactivated]
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10204546404974215

"Police just shot a man in the head 10 times for no reason right in front of me holy fuck"

[LA]

HenryKrinkle posted:

doesn't t-paine work at one of those hellish amazon warehouses?

wow that totally makes sense and completely explains his burning hatred of both the human race and rap music

wasted posted:

also manager "pitching-in" working alongside the workers as some weak ass attempt at solidarity while actually slowing down the rhythm. also manager bitching at you to step it up because of his failed effort at "pitching-in".

this! THIS!!!!!!!

So I said awhile ago I was going to type a relevant passage from Revolutionary Suicide so here's my laziest effort.
"The first defense strategy that Charles Garry (Newton's lawyer) decided upon was a series of pretrial motions in state and federal courts questioning the validity of grand juries - to prove that my indictment was both illegal and unjust. Garry not only presented arguments against the composition of grand juries, which rarely represent a cross-section of the community, but also maintained that the system itself is unconstitutional. An indictment by a grand jury, he argued, imperils the right to a fair trial. In a grand jury hearing, which are always held in secret, the defendant and his lawyer are not present. Evidence is presented to the jury by the district attorney, but no cross-examination is allowed, and no evidence can be introduced by the defendant. While it is true that grand jury testimony is inadmissible at trials, the fact that the transcript of a grand jury hearing can be published by the press offers little chance of public impartiality towards the accused. Public opinion can be greatly influenced by these transcripts, especially since all evidence and testimony are presented by the district attorney, who is out to prove the defendant's guilt. So it hardly seems fair that a trial jury can then be selected from citizens who have heard of or read the evidence that was responsible for an indictment.After all, an indictment means only that the grand jury felt there was enough evidence of guilt to bring the accused to trial." Huey P. Newton (Revolutionary Suicide pg 202-3)
Pretty interesting analysis of a system we've just seen used in a very different way then the author envisioned. The bolded quotes, for example, are proof of how the system can be altered to punish the unjustly accused or protect the stooge. Obviously there may be differences between the two trials in different states and eras, but for a layman it helps me see the bullshit.
Chicago police were out testing some new toys the other night

Superabound posted:

wasted posted:

also manager "pitching-in" working alongside the workers as some weak ass attempt at solidarity while actually slowing down the rhythm. also manager bitching at you to step it up because of his failed effort at "pitching-in".

this! THIS!!!!!!!

Don't know if you're being facetious, but start saving your money (i.e. beyond rent, food, providing morsels for your family, etc.) and apply to other jobs. The guys you're working under will kill you with less apathy than an Auschwitz prison guard.

Red_Canadian posted:

So I said awhile ago I was going to type a relevant passage from Revolutionary Suicide so here's my laziest effort.
"The first defense strategy that Charles Garry (Newton's lawyer) decided upon was a series of pretrial motions in state and federal courts questioning the validity of grand juries - to prove that my indictment was both illegal and unjust. Garry not only presented arguments against the composition of grand juries, which rarely represent a cross-section of the community, but also maintained that the system itself is unconstitutional. An indictment by a grand jury, he argued, imperils the right to a fair trial. In a grand jury hearing, which are always held in secret, the defendant and his lawyer are not present. Evidence is presented to the jury by the district attorney, but no cross-examination is allowed, and no evidence can be introduced by the defendant. While it is true that grand jury testimony is inadmissible at trials, the fact that the transcript of a grand jury hearing can be published by the press offers little chance of public impartiality towards the accused. Public opinion can be greatly influenced by these transcripts, especially since all evidence and testimony are presented by the district attorney, who is out to prove the defendant's guilt. So it hardly seems fair that a trial jury can then be selected from citizens who have heard of or read the evidence that was responsible for an indictment.After all, an indictment means only that the grand jury felt there was enough evidence of guilt to bring the accused to trial." Huey P. Newton (Revolutionary Suicide pg 202-3)
Pretty interesting analysis of a system we've just seen used in a very different way then the author envisioned. The bolded quotes, for example, are proof of how the system can be altered to punish the unjustly accused or protect the stooge. Obviously there may be differences between the two trials in different states and eras, but for a layman it helps me see the bullshit.

Thanks for this.

The grand jury system seems bizarre to me. As an australian I found this helpful to understand what the heck it even is: http://theconversation.com/only-in-america-why-australia-is-right-not-to-have-grand-juries-34695

i was at occupy boston (viewing, not occupying; i couldn't let my then-pregnant wife handle not only all the bills but also the concept of my ass being hauled off to jail) and i saw at least 100 cops, probably the majority of the boston police force, come in to evict 20 neohippies on charges of violations of municipal park occupancy and i knew then that only force would stop these bastards
i think the most people i ever saw at occupy boston was 1000, during some march. we have twitter, facebook, instagram. boston has the most colleges per capita of any city on the planet with a very cheap public transit system. but nobody showed up. the amount of people willing to stand around and be mad at the banks was at its height 5% the number of people willing to sit in a cramped stadium built one century ago and watch roid monsters hit a ball poorly for 9 hours. and you say there is hope for this country
thats fucking boston though.
maybe if lloyd blankfein had told a rape joke you'd have shown up you worthless fat rainbow-haired trash
goat we marched through temple square yesterday. it was so dope.

stegosaurus posted:

thats fucking boston though.

boston is fucking cool i dont give a fuck

did you know that in 1968 some dudes javelined a black guy lol *in 1968 salt lake city had zero black people because the dominant religion literally believed they were subhuman and cursed to be slaves by god*
sorry, elohim
whats it like to march in salt lake city. i bet its like marching in north korea circa 2100 AD when robo kim jun sun just dont know what the fuck
yeah whos defending salt lake though.
people were supportive. a couple people yelled at us. the cops dont know what to do. they're learning about these strange things called protesters. we get to go almost wherever we want. overall its fun.
goonspeed
what were u protesting
eric garner yesterday. we did a ferguson one the week before. 500 people probably. this last one was more militant though. dying several times, hitting cars that were trying to get through lol.
i was going to make a joke about like harvard grad students not being the vanguard or whatever but in reality a whole bunch of them formed radacads which was one of the precursors for the revolutionary communist party.

getfiscal posted:

i was going to make a joke about like harvard grad students not being the vanguard or whatever but in reality a whole bunch of them formed radacads which was one of the precursors for the revolutionary communist party.

glad you decided to make the joke anyway