I've been reading Revolutionary Suicide lately, and Newton talks about how the grand jury system is designed for these types of situations. I'll type it up when I have the time.

getfiscal posted:

yesterday my therapist showed me a clip from MADtv.

Catch the rainbow

Edited by wasted ()

Lessons posted:

Gibbonstrength posted:

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

we have over a century of evidence that destruction of a specific area of a brain consistently produces the same results in behavior and cognition. including lobotomies this has probably replicated tens of thousands of times

If you're talking about double dissociation studies then no, those certainly don't prove that even remotely. They prove that the brain isn't a homogenous lump, they certainly don't show that specific areas perform specific "behaviour" or "cognition". I mean studies like that allow us to conclusively demonstrate that the brain is an Incredibly complex thing which, if disrupted in a specific geographic region will produce similar results between individuals. It demonstrates specific disruption of normal processing (whatever that even is) but not the sudden leap to "that part of the brain we burnt was the home of that function, it was where that ill defined function lived and was produced."

I'm not sure this is all that important of a distinction. Even if the primary visual cortex doesn't have sole responsibility for visual processing, that doesn't undermine the concept of localized brain functions let alone the whole computational model of the mind. You're probably right that cognitive neuroscience overreaches and people should be more skeptical about drawing conclusions from an fMRI but like your dept head said IDK what you expect people to do instead.

It's very important when the theoretical basis of psychology is that the brain can be fully explained via its reduction into smaller components. Making the assumption that more accurately localising specific theoretical constructs within a physical region of the brain will unlock the secrets of mental activity is unfounded and stunts psychological research. So it's a very important distinction - if we accept it then we reject further analysis of the brain beyond detecting localisation of functions, at least that's been the practical outcome within the field.

I think what people should do instead is question these assumptions in their research and break out of the empirical mould. Everyone in psych is obsessed with inventing new mental constructs, new brain "functions" or "capacities" which are defined differently between every published paper; and collecting empirical data to be correlated with behaviour. It's all purely descriptive, there is no explanation, no study of mechanisms. That's surely a problem and goes a long way to explaining the stagnation of psychology which is occurring.

Assuming localized computational processing doesn't necessarily foreclose on anything though? In any case the theoretical assumption you're challenging doesn't seem that unreasonable to me - we don't really know what's going on, so we should collect more empirical evidence so that we can have a valid basis for actually creating a model. This isn't to say that the current state of research is certain or even likely to produce the evidence we need, but that's a separate problem as far as I'm concerned. I'm also still not sure how you expect to leapfrog this problem by discharging the localized processing assumption, because as you admit that leaves even less space to do empirical work.
Today's announcement doesn't just leave me speechless. It truly makes me wonder how any person with dark skin can live in this country and trust that the systems and institutions that make it so great will work for them. Then you sum it up far too pointedly.
Let's add cameras to cops

*cops still get off even with video evidence, now we have hundreds of thousands of mobile surveillance cameras capable of entering our houses*

ffffuuuuuu

Lessons posted:

Assuming localized computational processing doesn't necessarily foreclose on anything though? In any case the theoretical assumption you're challenging doesn't seem that unreasonable to me - we don't really know what's going on, so we should collect more empirical evidence so that we can have a valid basis for actually creating a model. This isn't to say that the current state of research is certain or even likely to produce the evidence we need, but that's a separate problem as far as I'm concerned. I'm also still not sure how you expect to leapfrog this problem by discharging the localized processing assumption, because as you admit that leaves even less space to do empirical work.

The issue with collecting empirical evidence is that we already produce masses and masses of it, very little of which has brought us any closer to understanding the brain, for several reasons that I'm currently EffortPosting about. You can observe all you want, it's not going to generate an explanation spontaneously. You need more substantial theory, which cognitivism lacks, being just a rebranded behaviourism.

If we feel reasonably certain that no sudden breakthrough where the hidden inner code of the brain is revealed is going to happen in the current paradigm, then we shouldn't feel too guilty about taking the emphasis off of the quantity of empirical data we are accumulating, or simply redirecting onto more substantial theories of mental activity that go beyond this game of correlating behaviour with neurological activity.

Edited by Gibbonstrength ()

Lessons posted:

Here's anatomical example: if you remove a person's pancreas, their digestion will fail and they'll eventually starve to death no matter how much they eat. This might lead you to believe that the pancreas digests food, but it doesn't, it produces digestive enzymes and hormones that control blood sugar.

wow, nice ableism. my pancreas doesnt do ANY of those things

what

Edited by wasted ()

I'm with gibbonstrength on this. In fact, what passes for empiricism in psychology is generally pretty laughable. There doesn't even seem to be an awareness of complex emotions as cultural, not to mention a shitload of other anglocentric universalist assumptions. It's no more scientific than anthropology. Actual neuroscience has a lot to contribute to psychology & psychiatry, but it's sadly rare that the twain meet.

Lessons posted:

Do you understand what empiricism is? More empirical evidence is not the answer to fundamental problems inherent to empiricist epistemology. Just because philosophy is hard doesn't mean you get to pretend it doesn't exist or isn't important.

It's not only a matter of understanding that there are inherent limits to the insights you can gain from empirical data, but that such data is only useful insofaras it's valid in the first place. Not to put too fine a point on it, but empiricism is a meaningless ideal if your experimental framework is fundamentally flawed.
psychology? feh, i choose to trust the true scientists. Economists.
empiricism has a lot of problems. for example, it disagrees with many of my opinions.
CRUM is trash, it's basically antipsychology and behaviourism is a really good comparison as to how stupid it is. I don't think it's necessarily reductionist to acknowledge that particular parts of the brain can generally be associated with particular physiological functions but I also think it has basically NOTHING to do with psychology whatsoever, it's fine in so much as it relates to regular biology/physiology stuff but pretending we can extend that in even the slightest way to matters of the mind cognition etc is the height of arrogance and imbecilic reductionist empiricist idiocy. "cognitive science" has fuck all to do with either cognition or science, in short

now hte REasons fort this being such a dominant area of inquiry and thought is super obvious in htat its theoretical structure overall character and particular precepts and applications align perfectly with the objectives of neoliberalism/late capitalism more generally
someone please ifap chickeon for saying that demonstrable evidence aligns perfectly with the goals of late capitalism. we don't tolerate such blatant anticommunism around here missy "misdemeanor" elliot
it's gonna blow some minds at the agency when they find out the likes of Daniel Dennet are actually secret communists eh Goat? You daft queen??
wow all this trash we funded and encouraged and has proved immensely useful for further entrenching the totally administered society was being done by goddamned commies the whole time, and now we're fucked and they're doing revolution. joke's on us
the mapping of brain functions to specific areas in the brain is totally meaningless unless it comes along with a theoretical understanding of why that should be the case biologically. this is actually feasible for things like hormones and to some extent the sleep-wake cycle but there is nobody is even coming close to being able to describe anything psychological in that way.
my phd thesis is gonna be entitled, "i Fucking Hate science" by aerdil, age 31 (if it only takes four years)
psychology is gay
people in molecular biology will argue for over a decade about which side of a protein a different protein binds to. making any sort of progress at all is mind bogglingly difficult even in the domain of running experiments that are good for anything and communicating them to other people who are trying to run those experiments, let alone communicating meaningfully to nonscientists or even thoroughly examining the full implications of the results beyond what you need to do better science.
what is referred to as science under late capitalism is more properly called technoshamanism
i had an argument with goatstein on SA a long time ago i wonder what it was about
im very easily trolled, and often pulled the butt cord, so that's a likely candidate
[account deactivated]
where are the prince of dicks of yesteryear

tpaine posted:

i wonder whatever happened to some of those dudes. like remember stymie? one of the most aggressively bad posters ever. i bet he died or something

i, too, find working a Job to be akin to death

[account deactivated]
my job isnt even that hard but i cant stop thinking about it i stayed late voluntarily today

littlegreenpills posted:

my job isnt even that hard but i cant stop thinking about it i stayed late voluntarily today

*shakes you*

pull yourself together man!

[account deactivated]
my job is to walk around looking glorious and in control
wat do u do tapine?
im intrigued
i always wonder what happened to deafbypills, by now how many babies are out there in whose ears he has blown weed smoke?

Red_Canadian posted:

I've been reading Revolutionary Suicide lately, and Newton talks about how the grand jury system is designed for these types of situations. I'll type it up when I have the time.

i dont think you...trust......in.....my

In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upward mobile — and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely. - HST
i ask everyone who believes in, if not the essential decency of the human race, then at least in hope for the american people: how do you justify the behavior of americans wrt cop worship