Cool yesterday they beat up some freelance photographer I'm glad these face book privilege teens are working hard for communism haha.
MARXOTEENS CHECK OUT this one weird trick driving the bourgeoisie crazy!

it's called critical support and street organizing!!! the party uses it to turn beta liberal movementists into strong red guards that will do ANYTHING to overthrow capitalism CLICK HERE to learn the secret that the capitalist masters don't want you to know!!!
They might be organizing to commit unfocused acts of bourgeois rage over the division of class comforts but yo they're organizing at least. Also why I love the cops btw
not lending qualified support and engaging with left-liberal movements like this is a lost opportunity for reds to provide leadership and a viable alternative for disaffected participants.

every action a red organization takes should be designed to strengthen its position in the class struggle. these upheavals, while bound for failure or at best meaningless reforms, are a chance for a party to provide leadership, gain members, and insinuate the correct ideological line into the broader consciousness. we should embrace the broad sentiments that underly upheavals like these, participate in collective actions, and devote resources to the cause. all the while the org should be gently pointing out flaws in liberal logic, presenting concrete demands that further the material position of the party and broader movement, and be ready to pick up the pieces and carry on when the liberals inevitably lose their resolve and the "movement" fails.

This isn't compromising on principles or being reformist, it's just smart organizing. standing apart and yelling i told you so after the fact is a road that will lead communists right into the dumpster, and deservedly so.

dank_xiaopeng posted:

not lending qualified support and engaging with left-liberal movements like this is a lost opportunity for reds to provide leadership and a viable alternative for disaffected participants.

Again, the same reason that I support this other active left-liberal movement, the NYPD

okay swampman
Like, I hear what you're saying, but there are left organizations that agree with you and are trying your approach, fine, let them, I personally was not able to afford mizzou season tickets this year so my interest and involvement in the matter is cratering. And I don't see them as leftist, and I don't see the point in an alliance with the not-leftist bourgeois over a few random issues, none of which have anything to do with ending imperialism abroad.
you can do both, and imo racism isnt just a "random issue"
For the record, while they did threaten him, they didn't beat him up.

"Tai then asks for her name, and she says, "I am Concerned Student 1950."

When Tai tells the other students and Basler he has a job to do, Basler responds, "They have a life to live, they have an education to get and a life to live."

Tai tried to explain his First Amendment rights to the protesters, as a fellow student recorded the entire confrontation on video.

"You can’t be here," yelled one protester in the video.

"Yes I can! Yes I can!" Tai yelled back. "This is the First Amendment that protects your right to stand here and mine!"

The entire video is about six minutes long. In it, students and some faculty members can been seen pushing Tai back. Some even trying to block his camera with their hands."

http://www.kmov.com/story/30479435/mu-communications-professor-calls-for-muscle-to-stop-student-reporter-covering-protest

Personally, I would have just respected the request of the students that no media be present out of courtesy instead of doubling down on the Constitution.

Also, if you watch the video, one of the black students requests that he just not take photos so very close to the students. The person who was most aggressive about telling the reporter to get lost was not a black student but a white professor, one Melissa Click.

dank_xiaopeng posted:

you can do both, and imo racism isnt just a "random issue"

Well it's not exactly... I mean some nazis yell slurs at black students. Fucking gross, but then loftin is ousted over this response http://chancellor.missouri.edu/news/please-join-me-in-standing-against-acts-of-bias-and-discrimination/

That is letter of which the protester says, “Let me be clear about what I think of this letter: Fuck this letter. Fuck this letter, because it continues to perpetuate the fact that that Mizzou doesn’t give a damn about its black students.”

I just don't think the protesting has actually confronted racism. I don't think nonviolent protests by bourgeois people count as organizing. I don't see the resignation of Loftin as a positive moment for these people and I dont think they would be ready to accept that it isnt. I guess it really is cynical of me to say this, which makes it even more unfortunate that I'm absurdly correct as usual..

dank_xiaopeng posted:

every action a red organization takes should be designed to strengthen its position in the class struggle. these upheavals, while bound for failure or at best meaningless reforms, are a chance for a party to provide leadership, gain members, and insinuate the correct ideological line into the broader consciousness. we should embrace the broad sentiments that underly upheavals like these, participate in collective actions, and devote resources to the cause. all the while the org should be gently pointing out flaws in liberal logic, presenting concrete demands that further the material position of the party and broader movement, and be ready to pick up the pieces and carry on when the liberals inevitably lose their resolve and the "movement" fails.

This isn't compromising on principles or being reformist, it's just smart organizing. standing apart and yelling i told you so after the fact is a road that will lead communists right into the dumpster, and deservedly so.

Since I haven't bothered reading about these protests at all, I don't necessarily disagree with your position in this instance, but I'm not really sure you should follow this as a rule.

Like in general, besides the potential waste of time and resources, there's the question of what do you want to associate your organization with? How do you want people to think about your organization? What kind of people do you want to attract to your organizations? I mean, it would be nice to believe otherwise, but if you're an organization that constantly associates itself with liberal movements and attracts liberal support, there's a good chance your organization is becoming liberal.

There are enough causes out there to fight for that you don't need to ally yourself with everyone. You don't want to find your organization shilling for the Democrat party in 30 years in bid for continued "relevance."

"A day after clashing with the media over access to the #ConcernedStudent1950 protest, protestors removed the anti-media signs and welcomed the media.

In a notice being handed out Tuesday morning, the protestors acknowledged that the media had a First Amendment right to be there and it was important to tell the story of what was happening."

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article43901523.html#storylink=cpy

elemennop posted:

dank_xiaopeng posted:

Since I haven't bothered reading about these protests at all, I don't necessarily disagree with your position in this instance, but I'm not really sure you should follow this as a rule.

Like in general, besides the potential waste of time and resources, there's the question of what do you want to associate your organization with? How do you want people to think about your organization? What kind of people do you want to attract to your organizations? I mean, it would be nice to believe otherwise, but if you're an organization that constantly associates itself with liberal movements and attracts liberal support, there's a good chance your organization is becoming liberal.

There are enough causes out there to fight for that you don't need to ally yourself with everyone. You don't want to find your organization shilling for the Democrat party in 30 years in bid for continued "relevance."

well, yeah, no shit. i wasn't saying orgs should canvas for bernie or support improved VA benefits for the Troops, i was saying that broad, nebulous anti-racist actions like these can be a fertile ground for organizing

popular dissatisfaction and unrest related to war, racism, police brutality, income inequality, gentrification, education, etc are cracks in the system that reds need to engage with and exploit. it's no mistake that liberals dominate the leadership and direction these erstwhile movements take since thats the ideology that dominates our society. if we want to change that, we have to be active participants in these demonstrations/movements/occupations and get the line out there, get out on the street and into the popular consciousness. we need cadres that make the correct line a part of the discourse of these movements even if the majority of participants dont agree with us.

for example: if liberals want demonstrate to end imperial war that's great and we can find common cause with them. but we should never stop teaching, never stop pointing out how imperialism is inextricably bound up in capitalism. that's critical support. reds can say "we agree, endless war in the middle east is horrible" and show exactly why that is from a materialist perspective but that doesn't mean we campaign for more multilateralism or whatever nonsense liberals think will stop the next imperial incursion.

Edited by dank_xiaopeng ()

as problematic and annoying as they can be, this is why front groups like the ANSWER coalition are useful

babyhueypnewton posted:

cman you suck at arguing and it's annoying me. you managed to miss every single point RedMaistre was making.

you're a narcissistic idealist and you've never had anything worthwhile to say that wasn't a direct quote from someone else

im not going to opine on the organizational issues here because neither i nor anyone else in the conversation except the op has any sort of actual experience in organizing. i will say that not supporting the anti-racist struggle is fucking stupid and blaming the movement instead of the few people who ride the wave for their professional benefit and especially the groups that make that wave-riding possible is confusing cynicism for radicalism
So embarrassing for American academia. Not that those institutions didn't already have a lot to be embarrassed about. The tail is wagging the dog.

Keven posted:

Cool yesterday they beat up some freelance photographer I'm glad these face book privilege teens are working hard for communism haha.

xRlRAyulN4o

babyhueypnewton posted:

The options are not 'do nothing' and 'support everything'. The radicalism of the BLM movement derives from the existing material conditions of 2015 America. that's gonna happen with or without a BLM movement. In fact, the BLM movement, which in structure is identical to this liberal garbage, is an attempt to coopt and channel this energy into liberal politics:

http://www.blackagendareport.com/movement_needs_to_say_what_it_wants?page=1

Movements are defined by their demands – a truth that appears to have been widely forgotten in the two generations since Black America experienced a mass movement. There are Revolutionary Demands, such as for the abolition of prisons, which cannot occur absent a thorough social transformation. There are genuine Reformist Demands, which can be achieved without an overthrow of the rulers, but restrains them, while enhancing the power of the people and materially improving their actual conditions. An example: a demand that the U.S. Justice Department bring the number of Blacks incarcerated on drug charges down to the level of white drug offenders in the federal system, within a given time period. And then there are “reforms” that amount to tinkering around the edges without effecting real change in the essential status quo. Such “concessions” may actually make the prevailing order more palatable, and give a false impression of progress and popular empowerment. Examples include more training for police, without altering the core police mission in the Mass Black Incarceration State.

Glen Ford forgets a new form of demands: reactionary demands in which a movement refuses to make demands at all. Since demands naturally rise form political struggle, the insistence on having a lack of demands in order to be as inclusive as possible is in reality a reaction against politics and the aspirations of the oppressed without access to the informal social capital that makes up these Occupy-lite political movements.

This movement, like the BLM movement, is not just liberal but reactionary because it is not the real movement but the movement as it is being presented to the media by those who can shape the narrative. There's been a form of ultra-movementism here recently as a reaction against the ultra-leftism that one sees among bourgeois first world leftists and social chauvanists. But supporting anything and everything, particularly if it tickles our racism funny bone in America (which is the only american discourse one can be proudly revolutionary and not be socially shamed), is equally absurd

here we have an example of the baby-like newtonian practiced ignorance in action. glen ford is describing exactly groups failing to make demands as being brought into the standard consensus discourse. he's not "forgetting" anything, he's describing the process you think you're describing but is actually talking about concrete events, which you totally miss because you don't know what materialism is. on top of that, this movement actually has a concrete list of demands! wow! if you actually had put in a minimal amount of effort into understanding the actual event you're talking about instead of just quoting people saying things you don't understand you could have avoided this embarrassment. if you paid any attention you would know that part of the demands are collective control of the selection of the next president, for example, which at the very least is near the edge of Ford's definition of a "reformist demand" as a demand that can be achieved without gross changes to the system defining the status quo (in case you didn't know, university presidents are selected by a group much like an executive board).

here's a swastika i drew with my own shit
some of the demands are good but others are iffy. having the university hire more minority faculty members makes a lot of sense as does hiring more mental health professionals. but i'm not sure if hiring more administrators for corporate-style "sensitivity training" is really productive or even desirable.
2 minutes in and they are showing remarkable restraint by not punching camera nerd
it was kind of funny watching the entire field of american journalism give this guy a kind of martyr status never afforded to journalists clubbed by the cops or murdered by the US military or IDF until he himself comes out and says "okay, enough about me."
i cant be the only one here whos organized a thing, i refuse to believe
iirc shriekingviolet and discipline have but afaik no one else here has
I have the dubious honor of being the last president of CUA's Pax Christi chapter, before it closed to due lack of membership.

In my defense, I was dealt a bad hand. because the previous prez had moved the group away from opposing US foreign policy and advocating for alter-mondelization until we reached the point where we were calling for the no fly zone in Libya and protesting conveniently exotic issues like Female infanticide in India.

But I tried, during my year in office, to restore the group's to an ideological line to one that was both more principled and more in keeping with the consensus of the larger organization, not the Democratic party. So at least I didn't go out like Gorby.

If I could do it all over again, I would be bolder in directly seeking out recruits among "average" students, and not just look for them among the usual MSNBC watching suspects, nor place as much hope for concrete assistance from the sympathetic left-liberals who were/are prominent in the Theology Department (to be fair, without active student interest, there was little they could do). Perhaps I also could have tried harder to connect with the Arab Christian community on campus, since many have direct family and communal ties to the besieged Levant.

Anyways....

Edited by RedMaistre ()

thats cool
Lol, they still have the info page up, with my predecessor name, not mine, listed as president, no less....Oh well.

http://cua.campusgroups.com/paxchristi/about/
i, too, organize
I've forced all of the members of an improv group to show up mostly on time to a practice session so please don't act like you've done tougher organizing than me.

RedMaistre posted:

CUA.

Two of my cousins are enrolled there

have we demonstrated to at least three sigma that racism is bad?
i cant substantiate reports but im hearing the klan was on campus today

Urbandale posted:

i cant substantiate reports but im hearing the klan was on campus today

Great. The students should try to be critically supportive of the KKK regarding their several shared issues, all the while gently pointing out flaws in the backwater racist logic. If the students become active participants in Klan rallies, it's possible they can get the correct line into the discourse, and when the KKK fails/gives up, the students will be there to take control of the broader movement.

[account deactivated]

swampman posted:

Great. The students should try to be critically supportive of the KKK regarding their several shared issues, all the while gently pointing out flaws in the backwater racist logic. If the students become active participants in Klan rallies, it's possible they can get the correct line into the discourse, and when the KKK fails/gives up, the students will be there to take control of the broader movement.

its really telling that you put black students protesting racism on the same footing as the kkk

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

c_man posted:

swampman posted:

its really telling that you put black students protesting racism on the same footing as the kkk

I am feeling really, really strawpersoned by this post.

"Threats of violence toward black students had raised concerns Tuesday night, as the school remained tense following the the toppling of the school's leadership over racist campus incidents.

Someone using the anonymous social media app Yik Yak wrote they would shoot every black person they see Wednesday. Others tweeting from the university's Columbia, Mo., campus said people used racial epithets as they drove around campus, and a group of men walking with bandannas covering their faces yelled racial slurs at black students.

MU Chancellor R. Bowen Loftin said on Twitter that the suspect had used "multiple accounts" to threaten students. "He was never physically near the campus," the chancellor said."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/11/11/some-at-u-of-missouri-on-edge-after-social-media-threats-of-violence/75559034/