Which is the one where the women are running through the forest and Tom is yelling German WWII phrases at them
[account deactivated]
Santa Claus is extremely bad (film not real person).
[account deactivated]
I had to turn it off for a bit because, while funny, the movie was so bad that it was causing me physical pain.
[account deactivated]
Im watching Earth versus the spider, a science teacher in the movie asks "we call the positive pole what?" and tom says "lech walensa". haha
[account deactivated]
riffin on the bad movies
[account deactivated]

conec posted:

i`ve never watched dis sh`d before. i don`t like campy things. i want to try new fings though. so what is this show about. answer please in short form (5-10 words)

In the not too distant future, next sunday, A.D., there was a guy named joel, not too different from you or me. he worked at gizmonic institute. just another face in a red jumpsuit. he did a good job cleaning up the place. but, his bosses didn't like him - so they shot him into space.

his bosses (Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank) posted:

We'll send him cheesy movies! The worst we can find! He'll have to sit and watch them all, and we'll monitor his mind!

Now keep in mind, Joel can't control where the movies begin or end, because he used those special parts to make his robot friends.

Robot roll call:

• Cambot
  • Gypsy
  • Tom Servo
  • Croooow!

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes, and other science facts, then repeat to yourself, "It's just a show. i should really just relax."
It sometimes doesn't suck and also there's a lot of sentimental value or "nostalghia" among pathetic losers who dont have a group of hilarious friends they meet up with to mock bad movies with irl, in ways that are far less formulaic and more "au natural" than MST3K could ever aspire
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

i used to have a bunch of the shout factory dvd sets, they were like fwiggin 60 bucks

i got one of those for free because my ex used to work for them and she gave one of them to me when she was still trying to impress me. so anyway that means i have a cool crow figurine along with some mst3k dvds, not a bad haul from a shitty 3 year relationship

conec posted:

Ok. The first episode I will watch is called "Future War"

I hope that it is funny

That one's alright but nothing beats Touch of Satan imo. Also Joel believed in true improv riffing whereas Mike believed in doing several takes and scripting the riffs which comes off as funnier to me, imo. Just hearing reactions gets too close to pewdiepie/react vids

iirc the show started off improv (the season when it was on local station KTMA) but by the time it got to comedy central it was already heavily scripted. if i remember right that's why original tom servo josh weinstein left after season 1, so presumably the rest of the cast were ok with it aside from him.

i'd have to rewatch to see if there's a difference in how joel & mike they "react" to the movies. to me some of the more memorable lines are "reactions" anyhow, like when joel says "do something!" at torgo and the master in manos, or when tom starts yelling "end! END!" near the end of wild world of batwoman. doesn't seem forced to me.... just my 2c
[account deactivated]
i watched the one about the giant praying mantis or whatever, i didn't even understand what was going on.... it seemed like a documentary short at first... i think it had funding from the pentagon really.
i got a mantis in my pantis watching that one
tv's frank is arguing with glenn greenwald about trump's appeal and what even is reality anymore.
I watched "Night of the Bloodbeast" (the turkey day episode) which had some funny lines.
I am watching S1E05 The Corpse Vanishes... early Joel episode... It's a lot different as you guys said. They spend more time pointing out mistakes and bad film choices. They also play off each other's references instead of making one-off jokes.
Ya bc joel is better
[account deactivated]
Joel seems very friendly. I'd like to hang out with him.
I always thought mst3k was bad and dumb but I never imagined it was scripted. I learn things at tHE r H i z z o n E.
You son of a bitch!

(just fucking clotheslines you with one arm)

drwhat posted:

I always thought mst3k was bad and dumb but I never imagined it was scripted. I learn things at tHE r H i z z o n E.

It's not bad, it's just made for young children

tpaine posted:

swampman posted:

"au natural"

aka untalented

but, i claim, this can often bring a greater degree of the same subjective joy evoked by a more talented, but more distant, commentary by unknowns, i claim.

mst3k is really good even when the jokes aren't. i didn't know that they changed hosts until later and i don't ever notice or care or remember which one has which name. it's good and fun to watch and people who know it will always watch it with you, and people who don't will walk in and get the gist of it and sit down and watch it because it's a common experience people have when confronted with a bad movie they're unable or too lazy to evade. it's a real good thing.

swampman posted:

drwhat posted:

It's not bad, it's just made for young children

I was watching one called The Leech Woman and it is a weird movie because they are really mean and melodramatic the entire time, like it tries to maintain a really high intensity of odd feelings, not really a MST3K sort of film.
santa claus has the line "no distinguishing scars or marks" which is pretty good
he's a lobbyist for the insurance industry! "let's get out of here, i'm quite wealthy you know"
santa claus is one of the best episodes i'm watching this and it has all these things that i forgot were from one episode. like when the guy in red body makeup and horns materializes next to the three little kids in front of the toy store window and crow says "just act natural..ehehhehh"
it also has the line "good old fashioned nightmare fuel"
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/NightmareFuel/MysteryScienceTheater3000
Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant

A character, often a Cloudcuckoolander, whose innocent attempt to make something (typically a drawing) comes across as Nightmare Fuel to the other characters. Unlike with normal Nightmare Fuel, other characters in the show will notice how horrifying the drawing/poem/song/story is, but the innocent NFSA sees nothing wrong with their tale of baby-eating zombies or the drawing of a "miniature poodle" that looks more like the ungodly offspring of a hellhound and a C.H.U.D.

More generally, this kind of character will be simply a casual observer to some frightening or grotesque phenomenon who either doesn't bat an eye or responds with some kind of snarky comment (and no, they're never meant to be a Stepford Snarker). It will often be a child or a "simple" person who doesn't comprehend the danger, or else a Jerkass or Misanthrope Supreme who genuinely doesn't give a damn what happens. Either way, you can expect that saner characters will be almost as creeped out by this character's reaction as by the actual threat.

Frequent features of the works of a Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant are:

A childish outlook on mature issues, such as a stick figure drawing of a bloody massacre.
christmas time, free your mind let love, un, wind