i'll show you a high art receptacle *flushes toilet*

alternative joke: high art as in high on drugs much? and then i post some of that kind of art
i got a poster of monet's vewnice twilight in my apartment, its like the one artwork they had at the poster shop that isnt absurdly cliched or pathetically representational. impressionism is kewl but its far from monet's best and monet is a couple tiers below cezanne anyway..... some of cezanne's landscapes are awesome, you can just see the faint glimmer of what would eventually become abstraction & esp cubism
i was born too late.... i should have wandered round interwar mitteleuropa being disillusioned and then died on the eastern front. fuck late capitalism yo
at about 3:33 in that movement you can hear a really beautiful theme. its a shame bruckner gave up on that symphony and threw it out, hence it being symphony no. 0. with a little work it could have been great
PAUL MOTHERFUCKING CÉZANNE YALL

cast aside illusions, prepare for struggle - paul cézanne
to bring goya back up, i have this one on my wall

i bought an old folio of goya prints that had fallen out of the binding so i just stuck them all on the walls
how lame is it of me to think of el greco and velazquez and pretty much the zenith of western art

babyfinland posted:
how lame is it of me to think of el greco and velazquez and pretty much the zenith of western art

not lame. those guys are cool

babyfinland posted:

pretty fuckin lame bro

art was invented some time around 1865 but it didnt catch on for a while

GoldenLionTamarin posted:

babyfinland posted:

what are the implications of favoring that period of spanish art

babyfinland posted:

babyfinland posted:

a longing for churros

babyfinland posted:

babyfinland posted:

it means youre gay

i asked my philosophy of art teacher if he was depressed thomas kinkade died and he seemed genuinely hurt and offended, although other people in the class laughed ehhh
makin' friends in academia

This is hypnolove- holiday reverie
andit's beautiful

I hope you remember me while you listen to it with your friends at the beach this summer

Superabound posted:

Oh no you didn't.

LandBeluga posted:

Superabound posted:

Oh no you didn't.

the fact that you were able to recognize it immediately says a lot about you AS A PERSON

Superabound posted:

LandBeluga posted:

Superabound posted:

Oh no you didn't.

the fact that you were able to recognize it immediately says a lot about you AS A PERSON

That I can read highly legible signatures?

LandBeluga posted:
That I can read highly legible signatures?

oh, it had put me under the impression you knew a lot about good art. turns out youre just some literate asshole

thats the last time i give anyone the benefit of the doubt

you know, if you want to READ things, the BOOK thread is thataway--------------->
you know what, im sorry, i just get really defensive when people insult my love of the art of famous artist Andrew Hiller

i like representational art. i have a big reproduction of this painting on my wall

Ah yes.The Motel Six school of landscape art.

Squalid posted:

i like representational art. i have a big reproduction of this painting on my wall

Ah yes.The Motel Six school of landscape art.

Fuck Off Mother Fucker. You asking for a probation here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xNCWWGYhoE
is bosch too GBS for this crowd? because his imagination is incredibly remarkable given his period.

JMW Turner is also pretty forward looking in some of his paintings and sometimes has a modern look in an era pre-impressionism:

1844: Rain Steam and Speed the Great Western Railway

1836: Wreckers Coast of Northumberland

1838:Ovid Banished from Rome
on the other side of the spectrum, sandow birk is one of my favorite modern painters. he draws on classic paintings as inspiration for modern culture. a particular favorite is the rise and fall of los angeles which is like course of empire:

_______

shennong posted:

ooh, wots this?

as dante demonstrates, screaming about how prominent political figures/your enemies are fuckshits then waiting 500 years = art

guidoanselmi posted:
ooh, wots this?

alex colville, 'pacific'

reminded me a bit of edward hopper.

fun fact; steve martin is a huge art collector and has a lot of edward hopper. he narrated something on him for the smithsonian and lent the works he owns for display

guidoanselmi posted:
on the other side of the spectrum, sandow birk is one of my favorite modern painters. he draws on classic paintings as inspiration for modern culture. a particular favorite is the rise and fall of los angeles which is like course of empire:

this post and your post before it were both really cool. i like the paintings and its cool how like 150 years later people still have the same worries about how american society is destined to collapse and return to nature

guidoanselmi posted:

this post and your post before it were both really cool. i like the paintings and its cool how like 150 years later people still have the same worries about how american society is destined to collapse and return to nature

Hope-worries.

guidoanselmi posted:

you know, The Rise and Fall of Los Angeles always bothered me a little because each image wasnt from the same perspective, but seeing now that its supposed to be a mirror piece to The Course of Empire makes it all better and more good

[account deactivated]