[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
well u always gotta be openin' new markets, the virus of capitalism must infect the universe

discipline posted:
"global gdp" who the hell came up with that term ahahaha

honestly, there so much waste of resources to maintain the status quo, or simply just to waste resources for the awe of a spectacle, that if a company managed to pull resources from space, even at a net loss, it would still be better than the energy being used to bomb some country in the global south

i realize the two aren't mutually exclusive, but yeah...

thank god greed is finally playing a role in scientific advancement and exploration. however did we manage without it
speaking of Aliens, i literally just posted this on facebook

Aliens is the most feminist movie of all time. I mean think about it, it depicts three major stages of femininity, Girl (Newt), Maiden (Ripley), and Matron (the Queen xenomorph) as the central and inherent sources of power. In Newt, what would be normally perceived as weaknesses (youth, small size), actually allowed her to survive on her own long after every else had died. Ripley displays perhaps the most heroic, "bad ass" embodiment of maternal instinct in celluloid history, and the Queen exemplifies the primal, subconscious terror and power of gestation and procreation. All the major conflict and drama exists between these three characters. The final showdown is between two powerful female characters. The men are either completely incidental and irrelevant, obvious parodies of over-the-top male machismo (and among the first to die), or cowardly betrayers. The xenomorphs themselves are essentially parthenogenic. Vasquez was probably the toughest of all the marines, and at the introduction of her character, the very second her femininity or the strength of her character as a female is called into question (by the stock, imbecilic, male-parody "comic relief" character), she instantly strikes back at him with a clever, severely cutting reflection of his own words, completely emasculating him at the same time as it eradicates any further questioning (from the characters or the audience) of her as either a female or a figure of strength. It also doesnt insult the female viewer with the common conceit of giving its female protagonist "super powers" (a point which Alien: Resurrection clearly fails on, among many others), as if the only way a woman could ever "hang with the big boys" is to have some sort of impossible, magical advantage--it simply places a gun (or a giant, fuck-off cargo loader) in her hands when she needs to fight, and lets the internal strengths already established in the character carry her through the tough situations. Shes not flying around jumpkicking through the air, punching men through walls like some cartoonish stealth mockery of women's perceived physical strength disparity. Every single bit of strength and power and competence displayed by Ripley is absolutely, 100% honest and realistic. Even her maternal instincts, normal depicted as a weakness or even hysterics by other movies, are in fact her main driving force throughout a large part of the movie. They become a complete and believable analog for the typical "heroic chivalry" of the common male protagonist. Her mothering and protective instincts fuel her courage and strength, contrasted laterally with the prime antagonist's own actions, motivated by the exact same instincts. Every single aspect of the movie successfully takes the "masculine" and replaces it with the "feminine", and its infinitely better for it.

but hey cool, space mining. maybe theyll finally find out whats in Uranus (its shit, literally shit)
fuck you got mines
"Theres gold in them thar hills!" *leaves orbit, dies instantly because a piece of straw is not an appropriate breathing apparatus*
on the plus side: the occasional near-constant, high-atmospheric-entry disintegration of massive resource-laden space hulks will probably disperse enough solar radiation-reflecting gold particles in the upper atmosphere to begin to significantly counteract global warming
sounds like you could convince a lot of dumb sperglords to invest in this

*invests in this*

getfiscal posted:
sounds like you could convince a lot of dumb sperglords to invest in this

*invests in this*

ill make the kickstarter

ForTheWin Dawkins Mining Conglomerate
Bio-clone Alpha 36-b890-3 kneels wearily at the bank of an ancient riverbed, on the last unexplored sector of xyr assigned plot. The suns set low on the horizon, mere spotlights through the thin, almost nonexistent atmosphere. Suddenly, at the bottom of xyr tin pan a flicker of light catches xyr eye, that unmistakeable, tell-tale shine that xe had been trained to recognize since technobirth. "At last, This One has finally struck paydirt! All these years of toiling in high gravity, scratching in the regolith, affording only to pay off the lunar cycle interest on my ancestral debt, all of it, every last picosecond has been worth it for this!" As xyr tears of simulated joy crystallized instantly in the absolute zero, xe produced a single heated pipette, capturing xyr life's bounty with precision-guided care. As xe skittered back to xyr lander with only iterative mathematical simulations of xyr future fame on xyr external mental storage devices, the twin suns glistened uncaringly across discarded weathered tin and an endless metal sea of worthless yellow rocks.

Superabound posted:
Bio-clone Alpha 36-b890-3 kneels wearily at the bank of an ancient riverbed, on the last unexplored sector of xyr assigned plot. The suns set low on the horizon, mere spotlights through the thin, almost nonexistent atmosphere. Suddenly, at the bottom of xyr tin pan a flicker of light catches xyr eye, that unmistakeable, tell-tale shine that xe had been trained to recognize since technobirth. "At last, This One has finally struck paydirt! All these years of toiling in high gravity, scratching in the regolith, affording only to pay off the lunar cycle interest on my ancestral debt, all of it, every last picosecond has been worth it for this!" As xyr tears of simulated joy crystallized instantly in the absolute zero, xe produced a single heated pipette, capturing xyr life's bounty with precision-guided care. As xe skittered back to xyr lander with only iterative mathematical simulations of xyr future fame on xyr external mental storage devices, the twin suns glistened uncaringly across discarded weathered tin and an endless metal sea of worthless yellow rocks.

Leftists are just jealous because space capitalism is going to undermine their rationale for opposing it. No indigenous people to oppress or dispossess, no real ecology to destroy or disrupt.

Simply just humans producing wealth and bounty from God's creations with no victims and no damage. Hell, get some strong governments to tax the profits and you'll have a strong and eternal cosmic social democracy.
Finally! Enough inert minerals to feed the Earth's poor!
[account deactivated]
maybe we'll care about deadly mining accidents when they happen in space
the spice mines of kessel

potushead posted:
maybe we'll care about deadly mining accidents when they happen in space

on the one hand its more likely theyll be white people so yes but on the other hand they arent even on this plante lol wtf who cares

space kentuckians
[account deactivated]
its cool because theyre gonna have to haul asteroids into earth orbit in order to mine them effectively. a bad thing happens and goodbye metropolitan area
oh god. moon over june

Goethestein posted:
its cool because theyre gonna have to haul asteroids into earth orbit in order to mine them effectively. a bad thing happens and goodbye metropolitan area

don't worry, they'll have insurance.

waht are u doing out of ur cage, goat? dogs!!!
z0r

DildoMalone posted:
on the one hand its more likely theyll be white people so yes but on the other hand they arent even on this plante lol wtf who cares

wont even take that much time to go from "not on this planet, who cares" to "good riddance to space traitors"

DildoMalone posted:

i think the human spirit reacts strongly to the idea of a person's dead body floating through the endless black void and would rise up in horror and revulsion at least until the novelty wears off

what a transparent scam

Lessons posted:
what a transparent scam

its a good scam upgrade

where will we get the raw materials for our libertarian ocean colony? why, our asteroid mineral mines of course

Nuke this orbiter from orbit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shackleton_Energy_Company

Shackleton began a US$1.2 million seed stage funding round in November 2011, working with crowd funding partner RocketHub. At the end of the fund raising period, a total of $5,517 was raised out of the hoped-for $1.2 million (0.46%). Bill Stone estimate $25 billion of investments will be needed before generating a positive return.

http://www.ted.com/talks/bill_stone_explores_the_earth_and_space.html

potushead posted:

DildoMalone posted:

i think the human spirit reacts strongly to the idea of a person's dead body floating through the endless black void and would rise up in horror and revulsion at least until the novelty wears off

i strongly react to the idea of my dead body floating through the endless black, i think it sounds fucking awesome

epic men

Goethestein posted:

how do you haul an asteroid

Haulin Ass... teroid

Meursault posted:

Goethestein posted:

how do you haul an asteroid

Alter its course by flying a spaceship alongside it and using gravity as a kind of tether, maybe.

basically a little bit of thrust and a lot of calculus.