EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

i tried to talk my ex out of an abortion once and she was like fuck you bitch im gonna do it neways and i cried in my friends lap for like two hours about it true story

idgi

babyfinland posted:

Tsargon posted:

babyfinland posted:

Tsargon posted:

also i would like to hear how you justify the idea that free labor benefits from being put into competition with slave labor, as the notion runs so contrary to all accepted thought that itd be novel to hear such an argument

whites and blacks were not competing for jobs

they both produced cotton and the global price of (19th century) cotton was sensitive to southern plantation production, meaning that without slave power the price of cotton would have been higher (as it was after the civil war when the slave system was disrupted) producing benefit for the free labor cotton producer.

that's incredibly simplistic (i.e. incorrect in the final analysis) and doesn't address the fact that whites and blacks did not compete for jobs, a point that your argument hinges on.

there are other points to my argument which you are ignoring (such as the fact of aristocratic control of state houses meaning that there were no public schools in the south and states like louisiana had less than 20 miles of road before reconstruction) and i should like to hear in more detail your argument that slave labor did not adversely effect the wages of free labor beyond that im "incorrect"

Tsargon posted:

babyfinland posted:

Tsargon posted:

babyfinland posted:

Tsargon posted:

also i would like to hear how you justify the idea that free labor benefits from being put into competition with slave labor, as the notion runs so contrary to all accepted thought that itd be novel to hear such an argument

they both produced cotton and the global price of (19th century) cotton was sensitive to southern plantation production, meaning that without slave power the price of cotton would have been higher (as it was after the civil war when the slave system was disrupted) producing benefit for the free labor cotton producer.

that's incredibly simplistic (i.e. incorrect in the final analysis) and doesn't address the fact that whites and blacks did not compete for jobs, a point that your argument hinges on.

there are other points to my argument which you are ignoring (such as the fact of aristocratic control of state houses meaning that there were no public schools in the south and states like louisiana had less than 20 miles of road before reconstruction) and i should like to hear in more detail your argument that slave labor did not adversely effect the wages of free labor beyond that im "incorrect"

im not presenting an argument, im critiquing the idea that blacks and whites competing for jobs as one thats rather crude and divorced from context

It's That 'Slam!

futurewidow posted:

idgi

what dont you get?

babyfinland posted:

Tsargon posted:

babyfinland posted:

Tsargon posted:

babyfinland posted:

Tsargon posted:

im not presenting an argument, im critiquing the idea that blacks and whites competing for jobs as one thats rather crude and divorced from context

i have already explicitly said that they did not compete for jobs, but being that both small holder farms and slave plantations produced the same commodity (cotton) they were de facto in competition with each other, with the planter aristocracy keeping farm incomes low through control of the cotton market, control of the best pieces of land, and through political control of statehouses which prevented the development of the sort of public works which would have aided the small farmer and which you find in states not run by slave power (state agronomy institutes, rail networks, public schools, etc.)

that's all well and fine but you are countering EO's criticism incoherently then and arguing two different contradictory positions to buttress your own!
dont get all dnd with me !!!
like how does it make any sense to set off COLONIAL SETTLERS as distinct from another form of imported labor force, and align one with the ruling class and the other with some kind of revolutionary paradigm, ignoring entirely both the indigenous population and the agency of the slave population, and attributing nothing but malicious avarice to the ruling class. thats some sub-par marxothink bruh

Tsargon posted:

dont get all dnd with me !!!

i'm not trying to prove you wrong with weaselism, i think your arugment has a lot of merit to it, i'm just challenging you to improve!! Struggle And Will

b.. but.. my DIY chicken coop and my white skin!!!

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

b.. but.. my DIY chicken coop and my white skin!!!

if you look into it more closely i think youll find that building stuff + raising animals is cool + cute

babyfinland posted:

like how does it make any sense to set off COLONIAL SETTLERS as distinct from another form of imported labor force, and align one with the ruling class and the other with some kind of revolutionary paradigm, ignoring entirely both the indigenous population and the agency of the slave population, and attributing nothing but malicious avarice to the ruling class. thats some sub-par marxothink bruh

well functionally speaking, up until emancipation, the black slave population was 'aligned with the ruling class' in the sense that they formed the basic unit of support for the reproduction of the white aristocrat population. obviously this was not the slaves fault as the whole idea of slavery itself is the denial of agency, agency which surfaced very infrequently in the antebellum south and was frequently met with overwhelming brutality so as to maintain things.

and i would not conflate the white settler population of the antebellum south with any sort of 'revolutionary paradigm', i was forthright earlier in saying that in fact when they were offered the chance to become a part of a 'revolutionary paradigm' through the federal dictatorship of reconstruction they more often than not rejected it, owing to, on their part, a combination of racism, suspicion, and a lack of political organization and education.

the original thrust of the argument was to offer the antebellum south as a useful model of comparison for modern conservative politics, wherein the ostensible and superficial 'Bulwark Of Ultra-Conservatism / White Supremacism', the aristocrats, in actual fact despised the vast majority of the native white population and utilized every opportunity to smash them up. therefore you might say that yes, aristocrats / neo-conservative types are racists, but theyre much less racist / much less 'white' in their political thinking than buchanan types are, who to follow the analogy through are represented in the 19th century by the hill farmer types.

i didnt say it wasnt, jsut that youre a weird white supremacist and also probably a carpet bagger

Tsargon posted:

well functionally speaking, up until emancipation, the black slave population was 'aligned with the ruling class' in the sense that they formed the basic unit of support for the reproduction of the white aristocrat population. obviously this was not the slaves fault as the whole idea of slavery itself is the denial of agency, agency which surfaced very infrequently in the antebellum south and was frequently met with overwhelming brutality so as to maintain things.

see this is bullshit. slaves were the very bane of the ruling class from the moment they began to struggle against their forced bondage the new world

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

Tsargon posted:

see this is bullshit. slaves were the very bane of the ruling class from the moment they began to struggle against their forced bondage the new world

being that slave labor supported *literally* the entire ruling class of the south for over a century, i question your usage here of the word 'bane'

Tsargon posted:

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

Tsargon posted:

being that slave labor supported *literally* the entire ruling class of the south for over a century, i question your usage here of the word 'bane'

both black and white workers supported the ruling class, youre drawing a false distinction here

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

i didnt say it wasnt, jsut that youre a weird white supremacist and also probably a carpet bagger

1. i never have and have no plans to ever visit the south

2. as i have said before i am not a white supremacist, i am simply discussing race in a way that does not start and end with such lf-isms as 'white people are bad + smell'

Tsargon posted:

the original thrust of the argument was to offer the antebellum south as a useful model of comparison for modern conservative politics, wherein the ostensible and superficial 'Bulwark Of Ultra-Conservatism / White Supremacism', the aristocrats, in actual fact despised the vast majority of the native white population and utilized every opportunity to smash them up. therefore you might say that yes, aristocrats / neo-conservative types are racists, but theyre much less racist / much less 'white' in their political thinking than buchanan types are, who to follow the analogy through are represented in the 19th century by the hill farmer types.

thats fair

babyfinland posted:

Tsargon posted:

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

Tsargon posted:

both black and white workers supported the ruling class, youre drawing a false distinction here

i would like a list of ways in which hill farmers contributed to the plantation economy

babyfinland posted:

Tsargon posted:

thats fair

domo

Tsargon posted:

shut the fuck up you racist shitbird hahah wow.

An Islamist/paleoconservative alliance would be pretty cool. Get some Japanese nationalists and the Pope in on it and you have a true internationalists bulwark against godless cosmopolitanism.

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

Tsargon posted:

shut the fuck up you racist shitbird hahah wow.

if its racist to say that slaves were the most important component of a slave economy then call me racist i suppose

Tsargon posted:

2. as i have said before i am not a white supremacist, i am simply discussing race in a way that does not start and end with such lf-isms as 'white people are bad + smell'

yeah i dont think george w bush would identify himself as a white supremacist either but that doest mean you both arent (bc you both are)

Tsargon posted:

if its racist to say that slaves were the most important component of a slave economy then call me racist i suppose

no it's racist to adopt a crazy white supremacist viewpoint of history and make statements about how white people are somehow worse off bc of slavery like that even matters and to completely ignore the tradition of black radical resistance in some attempt to play up the role of a group of white people you have no real knowledge of that doesnt sound like a high school history texbook or w/e for your own weird racist ass reasons about how you want to portray history

tsargon literally said slaves were obviously worse off here:

Tsargon posted:

i am not saying, as is sometimes said by other far-rightists, that white people were the TRUE victims under slavery; clearly it is better to be a dirt poor hillman than a plantation slave. but i am saying that the political economy of a plantation society is destructive to every class other than the aristocrats who run it.

you are clearly being intellectually dishonest and deliberately misrepresenting his arguments

but were they worse off there than they would have been in Africa?

catpee posted:

Tsargon posted:
i am not saying, as is sometimes said by other far-rightists, that white people were the TRUE victims under slavery; clearly it is better to be a dirt poor hillman than a plantation slave. but i am saying that the political economy of a plantation society is destructive to every class other than the aristocrats who run it.

you are clearly being intellectually dishonest and deliberately misrepresenting his arguments

im not misrepresenting shit im saying that his argument that white 'hillmen' are not better off because of slavery is patently ridiculous

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

i dont know lets make wild assumptions about more hypotheticals that make no sense like what america would be like without slaves and what africa would be like without the slave trade and european imperialism

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

catpee posted:

Tsargon posted:

im not misrepresenting shit im saying that his argument that white 'hillmen' are not better off because of slavery is patently ridiculous

if you can offer a reason for why poor whites were better off because of slavery other than 'they themselves werent slaves' then id be happy to consider it, so far you havent.

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

i dont know lets make wild assumptions about more hypotheticals that make no sense like what america would be like without slaves and what africa would be like without the slave trade and european imperialism

may i remind you that earlier you offered the hypothetical that without the slave trade then all white people in north America would have "starved", so lets not throw stones shall we

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

“Another world was possible” – Graffiti, Paris, June 1966

Tsargon posted:

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

catpee posted:

Tsargon posted:

if you can offer a reason for why poor whites were better off because of slavery other than 'they themselves werent slaves' then id be happy to consider it, so far you havent.

Because even disregarding material circumstances, being able to look down on a class of people and having your innate superiority reinforced is psychologically and spiritually rewarding

i was referring to the historical fact that all the white people did starve without slaves

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

i was referring to the historical fact that all the white people did starve without slaves

When/where?

when they didnt have slaves
Yes but what place and time in history did this happen?
in the place that we're talking about and in the time when they didn't have slaves
Quit being obtuse!

The first settlers here did alright without slaves but they almost starved at first because when they arrived they forgot to switch the growing season around to correspond with the southern hemisphere.

So while I’m perfectly happy with the dumb whites theory, I just wanna know where these paleface mofos were starving.
in america dude no one gives a shit about australia when will you realize this. did they have slaves in australia? no one cares lol