Here in the rhizzone we, like most politically inclined young people, like to hold forth on great matters and pontificate about the world like we’re pretty important and knowledgeable. These days, it seems the greatest sin of all to say “I don’t know”. No doubt there are many huge gaps in our knowledge that we all try and paper over or skid through on some slippery half-truths or cribbed knowledge, so let’s try and get these out in the open as a sort of…self-criticism of the digital age…..

PLEASE! NO IRONY!

I’ll start:

I have absolutely no fucking idea what “ontology” means
i'm only an undergrad

innsmouthful posted:

i'm only an undergrad

and i've never been to university at all, that's not a true self-criticism of knowledge

my ambition has fallen to despair
i dont really know anything about anything
um sure it is, especially if one is acting as if they're an authority on matters of academic technicalities, aka "lying" (or stretching the truth) about knowing the ins-and-outs of academic programs and the like, when one hasn't truly experienced it. this may or may not be a problem.
i have a fuzzy idea of what ontology means but i forget what it is. i dont really care. i forget everything i read but it fits into my aesthetics. idk what aesthetics means

Impper posted:

i have a fuzzy idea of what ontology means but i forget what it is. i dont really care. i forget everything i read but it fits into my aesthetics. idk what aesthetics means

listen to Impper people, Fuck and Destroy is essentially maoist self-criticism (flagellation?) in novel form

Impper posted:

i forget everything i read

same

i push away women i really like (ignore them is more apt). i'm drawn to women i don't like. i'm constantly lonely. i want to fuck all the time. i want to fuck new people. i would fuck jsut about everybody i see. i don't want to fuck. i'd give up everything just to fuck somebody new.i love peopel. i love women. i hate women that i love
btw br0 did u ever write that review!! im gonna stay on u for this!! you can't type Fuck into amazon's review thing lmao, or else it just rejects the review

Impper posted:

btw br0 did u ever write that review!! im gonna stay on u for this!! you can't type Fuck into amazon's review thing lmao, or else it just rejects the review

I’ve started reading F&D again (rape), I should be able to wing together a review very shortly.

Btw I just finished public enemies, which is letters between houllebecq and Bernard henry levy. BHL is entertaining but unbelieveably pompous and annoying but houellebecq’s letters are great, you should read it.

Impper posted:

i push away women i really like (ignore them is more apt). i'm drawn to women i don't like. i'm constantly lonely. i want to fuck all the time. i want to fuck new people. i would fuck jsut about everybody i see. i don't want to fuck. i'd give up everything just to fuck somebody new.i love peopel. i love women. i hate women that i love

same except not at all b'cuz i'm asexual

Impper posted:

you never wrote a story about those stupid anarchist kids, man

i don't know what a dialectic or dialectical reasoning is. the definition on wikipedia is no help at all and merely makes it sound like a very silly thing
I don't give a shit about marxism and dialectics is boring to me
I’m a romantic
I am too kind, my heart is too big. I am filled with the milk of human kindness. I am imprinted with Christian love for all people and this prevents me from taking necessary structural action to excise damaging elements.

Impper posted:

i push away women i really like (ignore them is more apt). i'm drawn to women i don't like. i'm constantly lonely. I can't stop fucking. I wish I could have sex. I want to fuck so bad. I am a nigger. I am a stupid stupid fat fucking nigger. God is Hitler's faggot. There is no such thing as a faggot.

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

Impper posted:

I’ve started reading F&D again (rape), I should be able to wing together a review very shortly.

Btw I just finished public enemies, which is letters between houllebecq and Bernard henry levy. BHL is entertaining but unbelieveably pompous and annoying but houellebecq’s letters are great, you should read it.

i have read it in fact and BHL's letters were so insensitive and brutish that i was getting pretty actively angry about them

AmericanNazbro posted:

Impper posted:

you never wrote a story about those stupid anarchist kids, man

i went to occupy's ga on saturday and it changed some of my perspectives. i'll write it man, just give me time... i have momentum on my novel...

Impper posted:

Impper posted:

i have read it in fact and BHL's letters were so insensitive and brutish that i was getting pretty actively angry about them

It took me a while to grasp that whole “public intellectual” French thing they were operating in. I kept thinking “why would paparazzi want to take photos of middle-aged men who write fucking books

bhl is such a goon it's a disgrace that they put his stuff into that book. houellebecq's writing was fragile and beautiful, straight from the soul, and bhl couldn't separate himself from hackwork. it was a shame, but it almost makes the book funnier and better in its shittiness

Impper posted:

bhl is such a goon it's a disgrace that they put his stuff into that book. houellebecq's writing was fragile and beautiful, straight from the soul, and bhl couldn't separate himself from hackwork. it was a shame, but it almost makes the book funnier and better in its shittiness

yeah BHL's constant pushing of his own....joie de vivre i suppose, rang hollow and seemed to hide what drove him, although at the end when he started to talk about the joy of literature i found myself getting caught up a bit though. da Becq's stuff about how he can't write (or fuck) while in a state of clear lucidity was surprising and interesting. Have you read any Baudelaire? They both seemed to wax lyrical about him

why do people ever read anything by bhl? if martin amis wrote an introduction to houellebecq's next book would you read that too.

germanjoey posted:

why do people ever read anything by bhl? if martin amis wrote an introduction to houellebecq's next book would you read that too.

well it's a series of letters so i kinda needed to read his stuff to follow what they're talking about. Trust me, i'm not about to go looking for BHL essays.

And yeah, i'd read Amis' introduction, "Money" is the only book of his i've read (recommended by Jools i believe!) and i enjoyed it.

Impper posted:

yeah BHL's constant pushing of his own....joie de vivre i suppose, rang hollow and seemed to hide what drove him, although at the end when he started to talk about the joy of literature i found myself getting caught up a bit though. da Becq's stuff about how he can't write (or fuck) while in a state of clear lucidity was surprising and interesting. Have you read any Baudelaire? They both seemed to wax lyrical about him

yeah i've read a lot of baudelaire and i tend not to talk about it because most of the people i've talked about him with have ended up hating him hahah. there is one really funny story where he talks about gentle souls and how he fucks up a traveling salesman by asking him to come up to his sixth-story hellish apartment, driving him away, then tossing a flower vase down at him, causing him to trip and destroy his wares as baudelaire screams, "the beauty of life! the beauty of life!" that's one of the funniest things ive read.

i actually have never read a single word zizek or any other marxist has ever written and instead spend my days poring through Gor fan fiction

Impper posted:

Impper posted:
yeah i've read a lot of baudelaire and i tend not to talk about it because most of the people i've talked about him with have ended up hating him hahah. there is one really funny story where he talks about gentle souls and how he fucks up a traveling salesman by asking him to come up to his sixth-story hellish apartment, driving him away, then tossing a flower vase down at him, causing him to trip and destroy his wares as baudelaire screams, "the beauty of life! the beauty of life!" that's one of the funniest things ive read.

haha someone should have made a gif of that

I haven’t set foot inside a university in years and never attended a course but went to a lecture at Sydney uni last night with a girl I’m seeing.

the lecturer (who is American) was talking about how social equality was a goal to work towards and how that sense of a social compact is why countries like sweden or denmark or japan have a better standard of living than the united states.

I asked if it was trickier to implement that sort of thing (say universal health care) in America because unlike those other smaller, homogenized countries with strong cultural cohesion, America is still divided along several large schisms (the most obvious being slavery/racism) and thus any proposals to share the burden or assist the burden are made harder by divisive racial politics and history.

and this bright red-haired chick turns around to me is like "that's really racist" with a disapproving look and i said "hey that's just what it looks like to me, i'm not endorsing it" and she scoffed and turned around.

the professor then said that actually sweden, britain etc. don't have racially homogenous populations and have a high proportion of immigrants, to which i said "yes but they are recent developments and when these social democratic projects and ethos was developed in the postwar period those minorities did not exist there in meaningful numbers" he changed the subject and moved on to something else because it was uncomfortable to him as an American.

Scrubs, didn’t do wonders for my idea of toying with going back to university.
yeah it sounded like he really copped out. the problem is that you were right, and reality was poking into his idealism; there really isn't anything you can say to that.
im completely full of shit and just bluff my way through everything like althusser and if i ever have a wife i'll probably end up becoming a manic depressive drunk and strangle her some day too, someone please kill me before this happens
my real problem is that i'm incapable of self-criticism.
I like to talk like a southernor but I'm not even from america

Impper posted:

yeah it sounded like he really copped out. the problem is that you were right, and reality was poking into his idealism; there really isn't anything you can say to that.

Yeah and i wasn't trying to be a smart arse, it was the only question i raised while certain other students of the semetic persuasian were guffawing and trying to make zingers and earnestly discussing bullshit. I don't think I can deal with an environment where i have to suspend my uh..."pessimist realism" for the sake of a "constructive" education.

Back to being a rent-boy for me i guess.

I rarely feel angry or sad about anything and wish i could because it seems to help drive creativity
how the hell do you not feel sad all the time you fucking weirdo

aerdil posted:

how the hell do you not feel sad all the time you fucking weirdo

Because I have close friends, girls seem to like me, live in a beautiful city with a mild climate (you do too I know this!) and am reasonably prosperous. I just can’t wallow in sadness because I feel guilty about being sad because the majority of the world has it so much worse.

all that is ephemeral and shallow, entirely predicated on and the direct cause of the fact that the majority of the world has it much worse; and you're going to die someday, most likely in excruciating pain