http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/sep/06/bret-easton-ellis-david-foster-wallace

David Foster Wallace, the critically acclaimed American writer who took his own life in 2008, has been described as "the most tedious, overrated, tortured, pretentious writer of my generation" by American Psycho author Bret Easton Ellis.

Ellis, no stranger to provoking controversy with his comments, laid into Foster Wallace on Twitter this morning, calling him "a fraud", and "the best example of a contemporary male writer lusting for a kind of awful greatness that he simply wasn't able to achieve".

According to Zadie Smith Foster Wallace "was an actual genius". Dave Eggers believes his writing is "world-changing", and the Booker-longlisted novelist Ned Beauman wrote last week that today's novelists must try "to work out how in a million years we might ever hope to absorb the magnificent advances and expansions Wallace offered to the form".

But "Saint David Foster Wallace", according to Ellis, is read by "fools": "a generation trying to read him feels smart about themselves which is part of the whole bullshit package".

The late author, who took his own life in 2008, is the subject of a new biography by DT Max, Every Love Story is a Ghost Story. Ellis told his 300,000-odd Twitter followers that he was in the middle of reading the book, and " OMG is the solemnity of the David Foster Wallace myth on a purely literary level borderline sickening".

"Anyone who finds David Foster Wallace a literary genius has got to be included in the, Literary Doucebag-Fools Pantheon ," said Ellis. "David Foster Wallace carried around a literary pretentiousness that made me embarrassed to have any kind of ties to the publishing scene … I continue to find David Foster Wallace the most tedious, overrated, tortured, pretentious writer of my generation."

The author, whose 1,000-page novel Infinite Jest is seen as his masterpiece, said Ellis, "was so needy, so conservative, so in need of fans – that I find the halo of sentimentality surrounding him embarrassing."

Although he has said that "I've never searched for controversy – it's not something I'm interested in generating", Ellis has never been shy about airing his opinions, from why women don't make good film directors to, more recently, why a gay actor should not be allowed to play the straight character Christian Grey in the film adaptation of Fifty Shades of Grey.

His most famous novel, American Psycho, also polarised readers when it appeared in 1991 after being dropped by its original publisher following protests. The story of the serial killer Patrick Bateman, who rapes and murders New York's women, it was called "the most loathsome offering of the season'' by the New York Times amid calls for a boycott. Fay Weldon in the Guardian, though, said it was "brilliant", a "beautifully controlled, careful, important novel which revolves about its own nasty bits".

hahahahahAHAHhaahah its so true, its so true

what a hack
eggers, ellis, zadie smith in a room arguing about david foster wallace. welcome to Hell

he's right though, and he's probably a much better writer than fostee wallee
lol no
anti-DFW backlash is the most pretentious idiotic shit
not really. dfw is Bad to Read
le epic bacon footnotes... Me Gusta....
dfw? i would prefer not to. gibs me some beckett
so desperate for attention all of you
David Foster Wallace is the Elliott Smith of books
elliott smith was also really good? lol why do people feel so compelled to hate everything about the 90s
well actually ive never heard or read a single word written by either one of them but they do look a lot alike

babyfinland posted:

elliott smith was also really good? lol why do people feel so compelled to hate everything about the 90s

people don't like to think of themselves or the world they live in as post peak

elliot smith was okay. also lol @ you somehow upholding the 90s or even bringing the 90s into this you fucking weirdo
infinite jest is like the defining novel of the 90s paco
ever heard of the fucking bible you goddamn idiots. best book ever written/ever to be written

babyfinland posted:

I don't, I'm a child of the 90's, remember Stick Stickly?

MadMedico posted:

babyfinland posted:

I don't, I'm a child of the 90's, remember Stick Stickly?

no

i grew up overseas though so i dont have the saem cultural markers as you. im sorry

babyfinland posted:

i Disagree

Impper posted:

elliot smith was okay.

id say hes more than "okay". Mad World is one of my favorite songs

[account deactivated]

Impper posted:

babyfinland posted:

i Disagree

its not up for debate

"OMG"
--an accomplished author
[account deactivated]
i can see where the criticism is coming frmo and some of itis valid but dfw is still a good writer. like i know the extremely earnest 'let's rap' persona merged with his stylistic approch could earn a big groan but infinite jest was pretty dense with themes that he did a great job of examining throughout an epic scale story, a good read, and jhes also really good at exploring human psychology. ive read most of his stuff and he's cool
he's right i read it in ripley's believe it or not. similarly, tying your dick in a sailor's knot is the defining act of the 90s
90s were possibly the very worst era, after the 60s
Has DFW ever managed anything as masterful as that goosebumps where it turns out all the children are actually dogs
[account deactivated]
I was born in 1989
the filmography for the dad's character in infinite jest alone is better than a lot of things most people (brett easton ellis??? i dunno) will ever write
lol @ bf, @ the very idea of all of this.
Ellis is just another rape novelist

Impper posted:

dfw? i would prefer not to. gibs me some beckett

what if gbs loved beckett

maybe everything is beautiful or terrible depending on how you look at it

see the dopeness, not the wackness
Dallas-Fort Worth really does suck. I agree with the OP

babyfinland posted:

i've had breakfast at tiffany's stuck in my head all week so i'm not disposed to be kind to the 90s at the moment. co-incidentally though that song, plus DFW and Elliot Smith just got sorted in my mind into a sort of "90s alternative college fail" aesthetic.

i wasn't there, i know it's reductive and ignorant but basically that song by deep blue something is why i won't read any DFW

also DFW, like ayn rand, is definitely An American Thing, in that most people in the more civilized parts of the West have never heard of it and don't relate to it's myopic concerns
that song rules