Lady Gaga wins Lennon peace prize
Singer is 'not only an artist, she is also an activist' says Yoko Ono

Lady Gaga, political punk rockers Pussy Riot and the late author Christopher Hitchens are among the recipients of a peace prize to be presented next week, in memory of John Lennon.

The LennonOno Grant for Peace will be represented by Lennon’s widow, Yoko Ono, in Reykjavik, Iceland on Oct. 9 — the birthday of both the late Beatle and his son, Sean. The prize recognizes activism in the arts.

Ono had high praise for Gaga’s efforts on behalf of gay, lesbian and transgender people.

“She is not only an artist, she is also an activist, using her art to bring better communication to the world,” said Ono in a statement, adding that Gaga’s album Born This Way has “changed the mental map of the world.”

Gaga will accept the award in person, joined by Hitchens’ widow Carol Blue Hitchens. The often-controversial author of God is Not Great is being posthumously recognized for his work as a journalist.

Pyotr Verzilov, the husband of imprisoned Pussy Riot band member Nadia Tolokonnikova, was presented with the cash prize in New York City last month, shortly after a Russian court sentenced the trio to two years in prison for their “punk prayer” in a Moscow church. The prize will help pay for efforts to win their release.

Ono is among the performers who have voiced support for the band.

The other honorees are author and activist John Perkins, known for his bestselling expose Confessions of an Economic Hit Man; and the late Rachel Corrie, the U.S. peace activist who was killed in the Gaza Strip in 2003.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2012/10/05/lennonono-peace-prize.html

Bless his soul in heaven.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Well, it's no Nobel prize.
Pop Trivia: Which recent major Hollywood motion picture features Enver Hoxha?

Answer: "Inside Man" directed by Spike Lee.

A minor plot point in the film features a police officer trying to determine what language they are speaking inside the bank. A bystander informs them what they are hearing is an mp3 recording of a speech by Enver Hoxha.
Enver Say Enver Again

Petrol posted:

THE PENIS MIGHTIER

yoko ono sucks ass
i think thats the name of one of her art film projects from 1974
Fuck John Lennon, it was his insipid “love” shit that was emblematic of why the revolutionary potential of the 60s faded into yuppie corporatism.
shut up loser
one of my favourite songs is by yoko ono. it's like... pure joy.

this is one of my other favourite songs of joy:

also this one, which i think should be the anthem of humanity lol:

getfiscal you would love the last few jimi tenor albums

sosie posted:

shut up loser

but if you go carrying pictures of chairman mao
don't you know that you can count me out
*empty platitudes*
alright!

stegosaurus posted:

getfiscal you would love the last few jimi tenor albums

i will download them very soon, cool

"It's Alright (I See Rainbows)" is a pretty good album

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

sosie posted:

shut up loser

*empty platitudes*
alright!

im a loser - john le non

Edited by sosie ()

getfiscal posted:

one of my favourite songs is by yoko ono. it's like... pure joy.

this is one of my other favourite songs of joy:

also this one, which i think should be the anthem of humanity lol:

this is my favorite song its about the sheer joy of staying home fuckin' all day long

John lennon peace prize? Didnt he die in a gunfight?
i've never read anything by susan sontag. it's weird how like there's a huge number of people who i have no idea what their "deal" is. the fun part of life is that you can work through a good chunk of it over time and sort of get a sense of how it's all connected. "life is beautiful" - roberto benigni
read more women

sosie posted:

read more women

I read women all the time, and what the pages of their bodies tell me is “I want you IWC”

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

sosie posted:
shut up loser

*empty platitudes*
alright!

those are not the lyrics you douche.

he says "destruction - you can count me out" as in he rules out destruction and violence but his comment regarding mao and communism is not that he doesn't believe on those ideals but rather that putting those symbols on your banner will discourage people from participating in your movement.

"but if you go carrying pictures of chairman mao, you ain't gonna make it with anyone anyhow".

reminder that the song also takes a rather ambivalent approach where every couple of repetitions the 'count me out' is substituted with 'count me in' - john said himself that he was conflicted about the lyrics and that his message was never meant to be anti-revolutionary.

sosie posted:

read more women

yeah. also read more in general. i haven't read anything "challenging" in a long time. mostly because i had this idea i'd work through marx and hegel and junk before going through contemporary theory stuff. i should probably just read whatever.

Transient_Grace posted:

his comment regarding mao and communism is not that he doesn't believe on those ideals but rather that putting those symbols on your banner will discourage people from participating in your movement.

"but if you go carrying pictures of chairman mao, you ain't gonna make it with anyone anyhow".

i thought that meant "maoism isn't even going to get you laid"

Transient_Grace posted:

he says "destruction - you can count me out" as in he rules out destruction and violence but his comment regarding mao and communism is not that he doesn't believe on those ideals but rather that putting those symbols on your banner will discourage people from participating in your movement.

reminder that the song also takes a rather ambivalent approach where every couple of repetitions the 'count me out' is substituted with 'count me in' - john said himself that he was conflicted about the lyrics and that his message was never meant to be anti-revolutionary.

"you know it's gonna be alright"

is a call to apathy and the indulgence of hedonism

"You say you'll change the constitution
Well, you know
We all want to change your head
You tell me it's the institution
Well, you know
You better free you mind instead"

It's a call to reject systemic analysis and revert to the mindless individualism that reigns today

Okay so explain working class hero...

revolution is written like a dialog, think about talking to someone like BHPN in real life.

tpaine posted:

thug loves lady gaga

Its true.

Transient_Grace posted:

Okay so explain working class hero...

revolution is written like a dialog, think about talking to someone like BHPN in real life.

Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for me
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Should five per cent appear too small
Be thankful I don't take it all
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

Don't ask me what I want it for
If you don't want to pay some more
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

that song wasn't written by john lennon, what's the point though?
the Beatles were the thin edge of the Thatcherite wedge, the lube for the big neoliberal wang
how can you interpret taxman as trying to diminish awareness of capitalist exploitation?
do you think it talks about neo liberal taxation policies? a song from 1965 that is really just about the man keeping you down?
http://www.scaruffi.com/vol1/beatles.html