2 Americans share Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics
Economists cited for 'the theory of stable allocations and the practice of market design'

Americans Alvin Roth and Lloyd Shapley were awarded the Nobel economics prize on Monday for research that helps explain the market processes at work when doctors are assigned to hospitals, students to schools and human organs for transplant to recipients.

The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences cited the two economists for "the theory of stable allocations and the practice of market design."

Roth, 60, is a professor at Harvard University in Boston. Shapley, 89, is a professor emeritus at University of California Los Angeles.

"This year's prize concerns a central economic problem: how to match different agents as well as possible," the academy said.

Shapley made early theoretical contributions to the field of study, and Roth took it further by applying it to the market for U.S. doctors.

"Even though these two researchers worked independently of one another, the combination of Shapley's basic theory and Roth's empirical investigations, experiments and practical design has generated a flourishing field of research and improved the performance of many markets," the academy said.

The Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences was the last of the 2012 Nobel awards to be announced.

It's not technically a Nobel Prize, because unlike the five other awards it wasn't established in the will of Alfred Nobel, a Swedish industrialist also known for inventing dynamite.

The economics prize was created by the Swedish central bank in Nobel's memory in 1968, and has been handed out with the other prizes ever since. Each award is worth 8 million Swedish kronor, or about $1.2 million Cdn.

Last year's economics prize went to U.S. economists Thomas Sargent and Christopher Sims for describing the cause-and-effect relationship between the economy and government policy.

The 2012 Nobel Prizes in medicine, physics chemistry and literature and the Nobel Peace Prize were announced last week. All awards will be handed out on Dec. 10, the anniversary of Nobel's death in 1896.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/10/15/nobel-prize-economics-announcement.html

- ECONOMICS RULES!
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Economics are a weapon of war so its a fitting memorial to Mr. Nobel.
The Nobel Prizes
Every year since 1901 the Nobel Prize has been awarded for achievements in ballistics, explosives, biological warfare, state propaganda and imperialism. The Nobel Prize is an international award administered by the Nobel Foundation in Stockholm, Sweden. In 1968, Sveriges Riksbank established The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Financial Oppression Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel, founder of the Nobel Prize.
Actors, allocation, markets, 'empiricism' in the 'social' ""sciences"" for the win. We all won nobels today, because all of our market activities which is to say our entire existences, have been made made more frictionless, rational and dare I say, more epic.
yesterday a 'leading' economics blog reposted this as an unironic good thing:

Chinese officials no longer treat Mr. Zhang as a pariah. He reports that Ministry of Agriculture officials tell him they enjoy reading his articles. Other ministries and local governments, including in Henan and Liaoning provinces, invite him to speak. He says that when he recently wrote an article praising the late Austrian economist Murray Rothbard, the Communist Party secretary of Shanghai—a fairly high-level apparatchik—told him he liked it.
communist dictatorship smiles on murray rothbard
Didn't Milton Friedman visit china in the 80s and give a very well received lecture to a bunch of CPC fucks

stegosaurus posted:

Didn't Milton Friedman visit china in the 80s and give a very well received lecture to a bunch of CPC fucks

yes. apparently he went as early as 1980.

The European Union won the nobel "peace" prize, we're past the point of irony
If Obama winning and giving a speech justifying war wasn't enough of a kick in the nuts
their little speech about why the eu won it was funny. they said the eu transformed europe from a continent of war to a continent of peace, which actually made sense. the continent no longer sees war but wages it on other continents
the nobel peace prize is a means of rewarding oppressors for their services in white washing imperialism (Obama, de Klerk, Rabin) and of bribing (sometimes unsuccessfully) the oppressed into submission (MLK, Mandela, Arafat).
http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/
The American Fighting Man

Impper posted:

their little speech about why the eu won it was funny. they said the eu transformed europe from a continent of war to a continent of peace, which actually made sense. the continent no longer sees war but wages it on other continents

no it doesnt lol

all told, europe committed like 70,000 men, total, to iraq and afghanistan, over half of those from britain

Impper posted:

yeah once you realize the point of the nobel peace prize and all the human rights organizations is to prevent another world war by exporting all inter-imperialist conflict and making sure violence stays in the third world life these announcements are a lot less frustrating.

thats why i dont get people who think ignorance (liberalism) is bliss, back when i was a liberal the contradictions of the "good" organizations and the violence inflicted by the "good" guys like obama made me feel confused and frustrated. life with nothing more than the lesser of two evils must be horrible, horrible enough to make people want to post in D&D

the world is the most peaceful it's ever been atm. sorry for your lots

Goethestein posted:

all told, europe committed like 70,000 men, total, to iraq and afghanistan, over half of those from britain

you're falling into the trap of separating structural violence and active violence, which is kind of absurd for someone who correctly sees that all members of the US military are complicit in war and exploitation regardless of their role

if the price of stopping another world war is the "exporting of conflict" whatever that means to third world nations that seems like a pretty fair trade considering that the alternative is the apocalypse
i tried to get into a uni course in chinese history for this january but they told me it is full.
there used to be a new war in europe every four to six months. the fact that they've managed to go almost 70 years without a real war (minus some serbs serbing it up on the periphery) is deffo. worth a little medal

Goethestein posted:

measuring even active violence by boots on the ground alone seems kind of shortsighted.

there's covert operations, proxy forces, arms exports, air strikes, etc. look at france's history in africa since it granted its colonies nominal independence as a good example.

Goethestein posted:

if the price of stopping another world war is the "exporting of conflict" whatever that means to third world nations that seems like a pretty fair trade considering that the alternative is the apocalypse

yes and 1848-1914 was a time of unprecedented peace and prosperity, and everyone was convinced capitalism and european civilization were the peak of human possibility. of course, anyone who actually looks at reality sees that outside of a small clique of wealthy landowners and bourgeoisie life was nasty, brutish, and short.

We've expanded that small clique but for the majority of humanity not much has changed. And there's nothing special about people born today or our world which prevents another 1914.

getfiscal posted:

i tried to get into a uni course in chinese history for this january but they told me it is full.

If Chinese scholarship (scholarship on china by the west) is anything like Korean scholarship it is truly awful, and I imagine it is much worse. I would recommend actually going to China if you want a learning adventure, apparently Frederic Jameson is really popular there.

Also the China megathread in D&D is maybe the worst thread on the SA forums, and I'd assume those are all undergrad asian studies/IR students.

HenryKrinkle posted:

Goethestein posted:

measuring even active violence by boots on the ground alone seems kind of shortsighted.

there's covert operations, proxy forces, arms exports, air strikes, etc. look at france's history in africa since it granted its colonies nominal independence as a good example.

bad but comparatively negligible.

babyhueypnewton posted:

Goethestein posted:

yes and 1848-1914 was a time of unprecedented peace and prosperity

no it wasn't lol. there were three dozen wars or revolutions in europe during that time. to say nothing of the taiping rebellion or the us civil war, which have no equivalent during this period

babyhueypnewton posted:

If Chinese scholarship (scholarship on china by the west) is anything like Korean scholarship it is truly awful, and I imagine it is much worse. I would recommend actually going to China if you want a learning adventure, apparently Frederic Jameson is really popular there.

Also the China megathread in D&D is maybe the worst thread on the SA forums, and I'd assume those are all undergrad asian studies/IR students.

i've already taken a few chinese history courses and i spent a term in china many moons ago. i can't go anywhere for a bit because of health/costs/etc. but i am trying to build my plans into a rough program because it sort of sucks just floating around thinking about stuff when you don't have structure.

what kind of stuff does their theory say and how does it stand up to empirical scrutiny

Goethestein posted:

Impper posted:

no it doesnt lol

libya? lulz

littlegreenpills posted:

what kind of stuff does their theory say and how does it stand up to empirical scrutiny

here's a thing from noted libertarian blogger tyler cowen http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2012/10/noble-matching.html

I wish all the blowhard politicians would just GET OUT of the way and let these Economics FIX THIS MESS already!

Goethestein posted:

the world is the most peaceful it's ever been atm. sorry for your lots

In spirit of the empirical science of economism, this is demonstrably false: you're alive. Heh,

Goethestein posted:

babyhueypnewton posted:

Goethestein posted:

yes and 1848-1914 was a time of unprecedented peace and prosperity

no it wasn't lol. there were three dozen wars or revolutions in europe during that time. to say nothing of the taiping rebellion or the us civil war, which have no equivalent during this period

the congo war (1 and 2 which are the same thing) is the deadliest conflict since world war II killing probably 8 million or more, the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq have resulted in around 4 million excess deaths (and that excludes the sanctions beforehand which killed probably 500,000), the Vietnan war resulted in millions of deaths for generations (the exact number is unknown and unknowable since children are still affected by residual chemicals from the war) as did the Korean war (which probably killed 3 million or more).

Not to mention the hundreds of millions who have starved to death as result of capitalism's unique preference for having people starve to death than buy food at unprofitable prices and the hundreds of pointless wars and genocides in the name of profit and anti-communism. But all of those people I mentioned are not white, so they don't count.

getfiscal posted:

babyhueypnewton posted:

i've already taken a few chinese history courses and i spent a term in china many moons ago. i can't go anywhere for a bit because of health/costs/etc. but i am trying to build my plans into a rough program because it sort of sucks just floating around thinking about stuff when you don't have structure.

I agree, plus being around liberals all day is a draining experience. If I go back to Korea or go to China you can totally crash on my couch and we'll have a little revolutionary cell

yes, move to south korea or china to get away from liberalism. im a fuckshit.

aerdil posted:

yes, move to south korea or china to get away from liberalism. im a fuckshit.

clearly you've never been, they may be capitalist but they aren't liberal. especially in china, it's like talking to a business owner in 1890 or something, they see the brutal truth of capitalism and don't really care. what annoys me most of all is the ethical liberal, who thinks the market can change the world. I would much rather hang out with someone who's honest.

yes authoritarian and nearly fascist capitalism is just so much more honest, one of the reasons i wish nazi germany was still around, those bros were honest to a fault. yes, hitler, you're hitler. hitler.