u dont have to answer that

getfiscal posted:

Goethestein posted:

honey i dont get it, mass is localizing on my person at a faster rate than i am taking it in! the only reasonable explanation is that newton was wrong, because in no way am I feeling sad at work about marrying your stupid ass and horking down a dozen glazed over lunch

dude mental illness can completely blow you off course. i used to weigh like 160 from like my teens to 2006. then i started medications and i gained 50 pounds in about a year. "30% of patients taking zyprexa gain 22 pounds or more after a year on the drug. another study showed 16% of zyprexa patients gained at least 66 pounds in one year." during this time my eating pattern was to eat one meal a day because of severe anxiety. i also had difficulty preparing my own meals or talking to waiters so i would often eat fast food for that meal. it wasn't like a rational decision or something.

That's cool but you recognize that is the result of eating a ton of bullshit and not magic, correct?

this forum doesn't need mods
i vote slavic unity party, nazbro and getfiscal
nazbro and cycloneboi 4 sure

AmericanNazbro posted:

what do you weigh now donald

i've lost about 15 pounds over the past year or so (i'm about 195 now) but i've still got a long way to go obviously.

ive lost a lot of weight by moving to the top of a ridiculously steep hill, doing a lot of walking in this city, and eating only butoni tortellini and pasta-roni
i nominate no one. let's not have any mods

getfiscal posted:

AmericanNazbro posted:

i've lost about 15 pounds over the past year or so (i'm about 195 now) but i've still got a long way to go obviously.

man, 195 is nothing, you're almost into twink territory

elemennop posted:

man, 195 is nothing, you're almost into twink territory

:tongue:

getfiscal posted:

AmericanNazbro posted:

dropping 35 pounds isn't too bad, but it's truly an awful experience to lose weight as it's a test of mental temperament and if you also have other psychological hurdles you're attempting to cross, then it can be overwhelming. otoh, exercise is a really damn good way to clear your mind and it's addictive so it may actually pose a solution to both issues - i dunno. have you ever given weight lifting a try? it's fairly different from cardio in the timbre of the post-work out afterglow, you may enjoy it. a lot of gyms offer night passes so you can go when no ones there, or you can pick up an entire home gym (squat rack + bench, weights) off ebay for $200 or so.

alternatively, you can go the route of most lf denizens and pickup a meth addiction, then be stylin' and fabulous with a few facial twitches and hypertension.

*fart* wrong thrd
if you are fat it is a sign of weakness and a moral failing, imo

AmericanNazbro posted:

getfiscal posted:

AmericanNazbro posted:

dropping 35 pounds isn't too bad, but it's truly an awful experience to lose weight as it's a test of mental temperament and if you also have other psychological hurdles you're attempting to cross, then it can be overwhelming. otoh, exercise is a really damn good way to clear your mind and it's addictive so it may actually pose a solution to both issues - i dunno. have you ever given weight lifting a try? it's fairly different from cardio in the timbre of the post-work out afterglow, you may enjoy it. a lot of gyms offer night passes so you can go when no ones there, or you can pick up an entire home gym (squat rack + bench, weights) off ebay for $200 or so.

alternatively, you can go the route of most lf denizens and pickup a meth addiction, then be stylin' and fabulous with a few facial twitches and hypertension.

thanks.

my anxiety is really hard to pin down and i'm not nervous about working out in front of people. in 2008 i used to go to the gym every day and run for at least 30 minutes. i lost ten pounds pretty quickly (a month and a half) but i thought i wasn't making real progress so i got depressed and gave up on it and then got too anxious about failing to go back. i've only really gone a few times in the past few years, joining for a month or so and then never really going. i really do enjoy running though.

over the past few months i've focused on eating better and i've done very well on that. i went from not cooking at all to cooking almost all my meals and eating more fruit and vegetables and shit. so now i want to transition towards general fitness. there's a gym nearby which is fairly cheap and it's open all night most nights too so i might do that soon. i just have to figure out some money stuff first.

getfiscal posted:

there's a gym nearby which is fairly cheap and it's open all night most nights too so i might do that soon. i just have to figure out some money stuff first.

I would love to lower my metabolism to 1300 calories a day while remaining totally sedentary. Honestly, why do people pay to overeat and get fat, then pay again for a gym membership to lose it all? Even bulimics are more rational than that.

swirlsofhistory posted:

I would love to lower my metabolism to 1300 calories a day while remaining totally sedentary. Honestly, why do people pay to overeat and get fat, then pay again for a gym membership to lose it all? Even bulimics are more rational than that.

because eating and working out both feel good and temporary gratification is the only motivation that still exists in the crushingly vacuous lives of alienated western parasites

getfiscal posted:

Goethestein posted:

honey i dont get it, mass is localizing on my person at a faster rate than i am taking it in! the only reasonable explanation is that newton was wrong, because in no way am I feeling sad at work about marrying your stupid ass and horking down a dozen glazed over lunch

dude mental illness can completely blow you off course. i used to weigh like 160 from like my teens to 2006. then i started medications and i gained 50 pounds in about a year. "30% of patients taking zyprexa gain 22 pounds or more after a year on the drug. another study showed 16% of zyprexa patients gained at least 66 pounds in one year." during this time my eating pattern was to eat one meal a day because of severe anxiety. i also had difficulty preparing my own meals or talking to waiters so i would often eat fast food for that meal. it wasn't like a rational decision or something.

few years ago i was on zoloft which made me constantly nauseous, lost 20lbs in a couple of weeks, so i got switched over to mirtazapine which eradicated my satiation reflex and i gained 40lbs in a couple of weeks. anti-depressants and anxiety meds fuck with your gut just as much as they fuck with your brain

also a lot of psychiatric medicine particularly has metabolic effects too so the calorie budget balance you may have previously maintained gets fucked up as you introduce some heavy welfare reform

jools posted:

also a lot of psychiatric medicine particularly has metabolic effects too so the calorie budget balance you may have previously maintained gets fucked up as you introduce some heavy welfare reform

do you know what mode of action, the physiological pathway, this occurs through? or the drugs in particular that have a direct effect on lowering metabolic function?

vote for me
or cycloneboy

AmericanNazbro posted:

jools posted:

do you know what mode of action, the physiological pathway, this occurs through? or the drugs in particular that have a direct effect on lowering metabolic function?

hypothalamus and a multiplicity of receptors. particularly dopamine and histamine.

idk if you can lower your metabolism with drugs without sleeping too much. ex: heroin and barbiturates.

Edited by jeffery ()

AmericanNazbro posted:

jools posted:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15998156

make me a mod

jeffery posted:

AmericanNazbro posted:

jools posted:

hypothalamus and a multiplicity of receptors. particularly dopamine and histamine.

idk if you can lower your metabolism with drugs without sleeping too much. IE heroin and barbiturates.

well, quite a lot of anti-psychotics cause excessive sleepiness too...

just do shrooms or dmt or something, joe rogan, building seven, clear all that shit right up.

GoldenLionTamarin posted:

make me a mod

changing my vote to glt

vote glt

jools posted:

AmericanNazbro posted:

jools posted:

neurological:

The mechanisms by which antipsychotic medications produce their effects on bodyweight and
body cotnposition are poorly understood, with
many different receptor types (including 5-HT:v. 5-
HT:r, HI histamine and ui- and a;-adrenergic
receptors) hypothesised to be a relevant target of
antipsychotic activity. Of these. Hi receptors are
currently the focus of much interest and more evidence, although the mechanisms by which Hi
receptor antagonism might induce weight gain are
currently unclear.
A recent study suggests a strong association
between tbe level of Hi receptor affinity and
antipsychotic-induced weight gain,'''-' The receptorbinding affinities of 17 first- and second-generation
antipsychotics (including all of the second-generation agents except zotepine and amisulpride included in this review) were examined for conelations
with their short-term effects on bodyweight. as
determined in a previous meta-analysis of the literature.'''''' HI receptor-binding affinity showed a statistically signiftcant correlation with weight gain,
and 15 of the 17 drugs were correctly classified
into two groups - those that induce weight gain and
those that do not - based on their Hi binding affinities using discriminant function analysis.
Interestingly, affinity for the 5-HT2c receptor did
not correlate significantly with weight gain in this
study, even though previous genetic studies have
suggested a role for the 5-HT,^( receptor in weight
regulation in rodents. Furthermore, an earlier study
suggested a link between weight gain and polymorphisms in the 5-HT:. receptor gene,''**'hypothesising that such genetic variation could predispose individuals to more or less weight gain via as yet
unknown mechanisms. Further studies examining
this link between 5-HT:i receptor gene polymorphisms and weight gain have, however, produced
inconsistent results. In a study of patients with
first-episode schizophrenia, those with one variant
of the 5-HT receptor gene showed significantly
less weight gain after 6 weeks of clozapine therapy
than patients who lacked this particular variation,''"'
However, in another study of schizophrenic
patients, no association was detected between the
variant allele and weight gain after 12 weeks of
clozapine therapy.'''^'
Kroeze and colleagues'"'' do not discount the
role of other receptor types in the development of
antipsychotic-induced weight gain. Sulpiride can
induce significant long-term weight gain in some
patients with schizophrenia, even though it is a
selective dopamine D;/D! receptor antagonist with
virtually no affmity for Hi receptors. Similarly,
substantial weight gain has occasionally been
reported with depot formulations of the typical
antipsychotics haloperidol and fluphenazine.'''"'
although these agents also show relatively low Hi
receptor affmity

according to that paper 2nd gen atypical antipsychotics seem to also modify glucose metabolism causing insulin resistance, lipid dysregulation and weight gain. however the mechanism is still :mysteryghost:

Lessons posted:

i nominate no one. let's not have any mods

yeah, mods kinda suck historically, they haven't really aided discussion and in fact generally have served to systematically prohibit it.

[account deactivated]

jeffery posted:

jools posted:

AmericanNazbro posted:

jools posted:

neurological:

The mechanisms by which antipsychotic medications produce their effects on bodyweight and
body cotnposition are poorly understood, with
many different receptor types (including 5-HT:v. 5-
HT:r, HI histamine and ui- and a;-adrenergic
receptors) hypothesised to be a relevant target of
antipsychotic activity. Of these. Hi receptors are
currently the focus of much interest and more evidence, although the mechanisms by which Hi
receptor antagonism might induce weight gain are
currently unclear.
A recent study suggests a strong association
between tbe level of Hi receptor affinity and
antipsychotic-induced weight gain,'''-' The receptorbinding affinities of 17 first- and second-generation
antipsychotics (including all of the second-generation agents except zotepine and amisulpride included in this review) were examined for conelations
with their short-term effects on bodyweight. as
determined in a previous meta-analysis of the literature.'''''' HI receptor-binding affinity showed a statistically signiftcant correlation with weight gain,
and 15 of the 17 drugs were correctly classified
into two groups - those that induce weight gain and
those that do not - based on their Hi binding affinities using discriminant function analysis.
Interestingly, affinity for the 5-HT2c receptor did
not correlate significantly with weight gain in this
study, even though previous genetic studies have
suggested a role for the 5-HT,^( receptor in weight
regulation in rodents. Furthermore, an earlier study
suggested a link between weight gain and polymorphisms in the 5-HT:. receptor gene,''**'hypothesising that such genetic variation could predispose individuals to more or less weight gain via as yet
unknown mechanisms. Further studies examining
this link between 5-HT:i receptor gene polymorphisms and weight gain have, however, produced
inconsistent results. In a study of patients with
first-episode schizophrenia, those with one variant
of the 5-HT receptor gene showed significantly
less weight gain after 6 weeks of clozapine therapy
than patients who lacked this particular variation,''"'
However, in another study of schizophrenic
patients, no association was detected between the
variant allele and weight gain after 12 weeks of
clozapine therapy.'''^'
Kroeze and colleagues'"'' do not discount the
role of other receptor types in the development of
antipsychotic-induced weight gain. Sulpiride can
induce significant long-term weight gain in some
patients with schizophrenia, even though it is a
selective dopamine D;/D! receptor antagonist with
virtually no affmity for Hi receptors. Similarly,
substantial weight gain has occasionally been
reported with depot formulations of the typical
antipsychotics haloperidol and fluphenazine.'''"'
although these agents also show relatively low Hi
receptor affmity

according to that paper 2nd gen atypical antipsychotics seem to also modify glucose metabolism causing insulin resistance, lipid dysregulation and weight gain. however the mechanism is still :mysteryghost:

the fact that these drugs induce "diabetes" (for lack of a better word) type of metabolic disorders is very, very interesting. i'm fascinated by the causality of artificially induced metabolic syndromes as a function of direct inputs through hormonal/cellular changes. i've been on drugs that while administration have caused full blown metabolic disorders like the above, though, it was through excessive accumulation of free radicals and the subsequent inability for the body to produce sufficient anti-oxidants to cope. the relationship between free radical and anti-oxidant seems to be one of the direct causes or possibly the primary root of metabolic disorders that are in the vein of "diabetes II", but these antipsychotics might in fact function through a different pathway, which would be interesting though i'm kinda discounting it prematurely lol

damn donny you weigh 40 lbs less than me

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

damn donny you weigh 40 lbs less than me

you're 6'7'' and only 235? lift some weights man

EO don't lift, but here's his gym routine

i pretty much survive on cigarettes and dexamphetamine these days and i'm svelte as fuck AND my dick still works so yeah, good regime
but how is the quality of your stool

elemennop posted:

lift some weights man

[account deactivated]

VoxNihili posted:

swirlsofhistory posted:

because eating and working out both feel good and temporary gratification is the only motivation that still exists in the crushingly vacuous lives of alienated western parasites

word

If working out is supposed to feel good, why does it always make me feel like death?
*makes a face at the camera*