discipline posted:

my brother can't focus on anything but smoking pot and playing video games with his friends and surfing. he can't post because that would involve sitting in front of something and typing for 30 seconds and not hearing screams or gunshots from his video game. he also never reads books or knows anything about the world outside of his cocoon of defeat

surfing is actually a cool and fun outdoor activity that is also good exercise and a challenging skill to learn. maybe get him to focus on that instead of pot and video games - at least then he'd get better at something hard to master, be in better shape, and spend more time outside, which makes people happier. you can even surf high and enjoy many of the same benefits.

KilledInADuel posted:

discipline posted:

my brother can't focus on anything but smoking pot and playing video games with his friends and surfing. he can't post because that would involve sitting in front of something and typing for 30 seconds and not hearing screams or gunshots from his video game. he also never reads books or knows anything about the world outside of his cocoon of defeat

surfing is actually a cool and fun outdoor activity that is also good exercise and a challenging skill to learn. maybe get him to focus on that instead of pot and video games - at least then he'd get better at something hard to master, be in better shape, and spend more time outside, which makes people happier. you can even surf high and enjoy many of the same benefits.

*has a terminally ill mother*

my brother is Hitler
new york is no place to start a family

gyrofry posted:

new york is no place to start a family

wasted posted:

KilledInADuel posted:

discipline posted:

surfing also contains a greater emancipatory potential than any other so-called "action sport". this is why the anti-capital themes of noted torture-apologist kathryn bigelow's "point break" resonate so deeply in american culture today.

KilledInADuel posted:

wasted posted:

KilledInADuel posted:

discipline posted:

surfing also contains a greater emancipatory potential than any other so-called "action sport". this is why the anti-capital themes of noted torture-apologist kathryn bigelow's "point break" resonate so deeply in american culture today.

yea all i got out of that film is that agent utah couldn't shoot reagan given the circumstances which bluntly justified it

discipline posted:

my brother bought this ridiculous skateboard for like $300. when I went home for thanksgiving he just chainsmoked in the car and told me how much he hates my parents for not supporting him. his car is a wreck and he can't afford to fix it because he buys $300 skateboards that feel like surfing and blows like $150 a week on pot. when I got back to my mom's house she was running a 102 fever and trembling, unable to even hold a glass of water. my brother took a bong rip and then went out with his friends to talk about how much he hates my parents. on my graduation day in 2010 my brother updates his facebook with a status about how much he hates his family and spending time with his family and when I confront him with this he yells at me for reading his private facebook page out loud to him, which is broadcast to hundreds of people. he calls me a hag and doesn't talk to me for two years.

this is like half my friends from highschool, except they're more good natured and seem to be thankful to their parents for supporting their parasite asses. i don't smoke weed regularly and haven't played video games, but there's a temptation to that sort of degeneracy that's hard to completely ignore. the idea of just being able to sleep and not grind every day seems so tempting (not that i'm working in the coal mines or anything). i mean, i fundamentally understand i would go crazy if i did for more than a month, but still, its tempting...fortunately if tried to move back home to my parents, my dad would have me like redoing the roof in a week and my mother would be giving me papers to edit.

for a couple years i had a decently paying seasonal job that allowed me to play video games and smoke trees all winter and i think it ruined me; ever since then the temptation to just say "fuck it" and blow off my responsibilities in favor of mindless fun has been omnipresent
look people if you just smoke weed while doing your work and remember to take your zoloft this is all a non issue
this might sound american psychoish but i really like "god only knows" by the beach boys but only because of a somewhat different interpretation. according to the writers, the song is supposed to mean something straightforward: "i will love you for the rest of my life". but i've never heard it that way. it opens: "I may not always love you / But long as there are stars above you / You never need to doubt it / I'll make you so sure about it". i've always heard this as a young lover trying to convince his girl to stay with him for the night. he's saying that he's not sure he's in love but that he'll say that he is for the night. then: "God only knows what I'd be without you"... which can be ambiguous. if we weren't together, what would happen? who knows.

it continues: "If you should ever leave me / Though life would still go on believe me / The world could show nothing to me / So what good would living do me". the second part is supposed to negate the first. but i'd rather see it as the second part being a sort of young love hyperbole while the true meaning is "you could leave me and i'd move on, but let's not consider that tonight"

anyway i emailed an old professor of mine and she seems to want to mentor me about such things which is basically the best news i've had in a while since that ikea monkey thing

KilledInADuel posted:

kathryn bigelow's "point break" .

holy shit i didn't realize this

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
t money ur brother sounds a lot more chill and byob than you i want to smoke w33d w/ him
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:

my brother can't even tell you where I was living the last three years. haha he always frames it like "well you're always moving around!" but the fact of the matter is that he never talks to me or asks anyone about me

in that car ride back in november he used the word "bitch" like 9 times to refer to co-workers he loves to "fuck over" and was talking about revenge and how much he loves it. he works as a server's assistant at a steakhouse

Write a movie. I genuinely, absolutely unironically believe that you out of anyone i know would be best placed to articulate the multiplicity of fails that makes up contemporary America.

or a book i guess, your life is more interesting than mine.......i'm an only child and live in australia for christs sake

KilledInADuel posted:

discipline posted:

i live 15 minutes from a dozen brilliant beaches that have produced some of the world's best surfers and every summer i tell myself i'll give it a go but this was the first year that i didn't tell myself that.

Progress, things are looking up

I haven't liked video games for a decade and quit weed earlier in the year and my brain is quite a lot clearer, but the clarity is substantially more horrifying.
don't look at how much money you've spent on reregs at sa then
a radio station in montreal played a spoof that said that montreal was considering requiring dogs to be bilingual because of confusion at city parks and a bunch of anglophone bloggers picked it up and started flipping out and it made it onto drudge report and a few other news aggregators as a real story. because anglophones believe that the hated separatists want to force their dogs to speak french.
meh, in the scheme of things over 5 years it's not much, especially compared to what i spend on cigs
note that it was an anglophone radio program so it's intent was probably to make fun of french people (for wanting to speak french in a french-speaking nation) in a liberal "let's take some of the steam out of this issue folks and laugh at ourselves" way. accordingly english canadians are taking the story's spread as a matter of "those crazy francophones probably would try something like this"
yeah i'm probably number 2 in lifetime contributions to the mangosteen relief fund but like seriously i bought myself a decade of social paralysis with it and fended off sweet death
political strife in canada is pretty boring.

wasted posted:

getfiscal posted:

wasted posted:

well if they took a few lessons in english pragmatism they'd have a much more effective terror campaign (see: kill counts of reactionary american terrorists)

Hey anyone want to get into apple face time or other video chat and just really have a good mutual jerk sesh. QWe could talk about our hopes and dreams and things we like and then we could all pick a single thing to jerk off to (save the "friction" jokes, guys!) and all just get into it. If nobodys into it thats cool but I was thinking of team building stuff we could do.
all the french ppl i know think the quebecois are basically weird sylvan half-men whose claim to being speakers of the Glorious French Tongue holds very little water and who should probably just give up and turn anglo already
[account deactivated]
what happen to that book you were writing about how to overthrow capitalism
[account deactivated]
you can be like lena dunham but with black friends and strict anti-capitalist rhetoric
i dont know khamsek, im kind of enjoying these new feelings of terror at the unsustainability of this independent lifestyle, they're making me super productive