Goethestein posted:

it makes perfect sense. you can understand killing in the heat of passion, but not as part of a system. why can you understand imprisonment as part of a system, but not in the heat of passion?

bc you dont imprison someone in the heat of passion? that makes no fucking sense at all. imprisoning someone is significantly different from killing them. and even if u did "imprison someone in the heat of passion" you can always let them out and deal with the consequences or someone else can rescue them or whatever because welp imprisoning someone is not the same as killing them because death is sort of permanent? you are posting like a d&d pedant

the rationale for the killing in the heat of passion is identical to the killing through the justice system: the person to be killed is worthless and deserves to die. if anything, the passionless calculus of this decision is far more defensible, as surely their crimes were greater and their guilt more certain.

well first no the rationale for killing in the heat of passion is that you felt such powerful emotion that you couldn't control yourself, there's no "rationale" by definition

but regardless the whole point of a court is that everything is up in the air and at least somewhat uncertain and has to be hashed out beyond any reasonable doubt because you're dealing with an uninvolved third party arbiter who saw nothing and can't really "know" what happened in any final sense, which is why making final decisions in a court is indefensible because the chance of being wrong is always there even with rational arguments and evidence

whereas if im a peasant rising up against a feudal lord or mexican guy in maricopa county prison assassinating sherriff joe or whatever im acting based on my own two eyes outside an oppressive system in which i can find no actual recourse and so i have no choice but to passionately destroy it

in other words yeah fuck "passionless calculus" of human lives that's why revolutions should happen in the first place (so the oppressed can get at a life beyond the utility of oppressive classes)

ok so you're cool with random murder but not rationalized killing based on evidence? human life is without inherent value. you admit that when you admit your willingness to take life under certain conditions. most people simply find those acceptable conditions to be different than the ones you do.

well everything is without "inherent" value
I'm cool with revolutionary justice which may involve human death, i'm not cool with sitting there thinking about it rationally and then killing someone who is already neutralized as a threat (since by necessity he's already captured and in jail if yr gonna officially execute him)

on top of everything else the de sade quote (on its own out of context anyway) doesn't even condone "random murder," it just says that's its more understandable because doing something out of strong emotions that you yourself can be held accountable for (to whatever extent if you believe in that kind of thing) at least has a comprehensible motive whereas actually "rationally" choosing to kill someone when they're already in prison and their death will have no actual positive effect and you're having someone else do it for you and distributing blame societally to an impersonal system of law is actually pretty incomprehensible

here is a shot from the steps of the rebuilt chapel, a modest but pristine place for worship adorned on the inside with images and photos of those deemed by the davidians as their prophets through time

the orchard features a tree for each person who died - presumably civilians only - except koresh. at the foot of each tree used to be a stone with a name of a casualty, but they have since been placed around the large tree in the background on the left.

there used to be one for koresh, but apparently the tree / stone were vandalized or otherwise involved in something the residents found to be inappropriate enough to remove them. maybe the stone was stolen? i don't remember.

my friend and i were given a tour by an indigent man whom the residents allowed to stay and speak to visitors for a small donation, either to him or for the chapel. he was very lucid and helpful until he dropped straight into schizo-talk when he referred to the L-3 facilities on the TSTC campus (a former Air Force base and coincidentally where Air Force One would land when Bush would visit his Crawford ranch), and the many antennas attached to the buildings, and how they were sending messages to him. then he stopped talking about that, surfaced, and went right back into his Discovery Channel narration of The Waco Siege: The Hands-On Tour

The_Schliski posted:

there are still branch davidians living there btw here's a fun fact: that their prophet's name at the time was david koresh and that they were "branch davidians" is coincidental

Not totally coincidental. The sect was first named after David, the second king of ancient Israel, founder of the holy city of Zion, author of half the psalms, and generally the most important person in the Hebrew Bible. The Star of David, which is in the Branch Davidian flag, is named after him; and it was with him in mind that Vernon Howell changed his name to David Koresh, after becoming their prophet.

Agnus_Dei posted:

The_Schliski posted:

there are still branch davidians living there btw here's a fun fact: that their prophet's name at the time was david koresh and that they were "branch davidians" is coincidental

Not totally coincidental. The sect was first named after David, the second king of ancient Israel, founder of the holy city of Zion, author of half the psalms, and generally the most important person in the Hebrew Bible. The Star of David, which is in the Branch Davidian flag, is named after him; and it was with him in mind that Vernon Howell changed his name to David Koresh, after becoming their prophet.

i thought that might be it but i've never read that whole wikipedia entry because boy howdy it's long!

The_Schliski posted:

Agnus_Dei posted:

The_Schliski posted:

i thought that might be it but i've never read that whole wikipedia entry because boy howdy it's long!

you should, it's interesting material. apparently one of the episodes in koresh's rise to power involved his rival digging up a dead lady from the group's cemetery and challenging koresh to a "resurrection contest". this was neatly sidestepped when koresh called the cops and reported that the man had violated a corpse lmao

does it cover the whole "koresh's prophecy was about how koresh was going to be killed (made an example of) by federal agents (satan/god) for drugs and sex and rock-n-roll (and then proceeded to do so)"

because that was how our homeless guy tour guide put it and at the time i knew he was shining us on because the photo they have in the chapel of koresh looks kinda like 70s neil diamond and no way was that guy "rock-n-roll"!

littlegreenpills posted:

The_Schliski posted:

Agnus_Dei posted:

The_Schliski posted:

you should, it's interesting material. apparently one of the episodes in koresh's rise to power involved his rival digging up a dead lady from the group's cemetery and challenging koresh to a "resurrection contest". this was neatly sidestepped when koresh called the cops and reported that the man had violated a corpse lmao

u should watch rules of engagement too

The_Schliski posted:

does it cover the whole "koresh's prophecy was about how koresh was going to be killed (made an example of) by federal agents (satan/god) for drugs and sex and rock-n-roll (and then proceeded to do so)"

because that was how our homeless guy tour guide put it and at the time i knew he was shining us on because the photo they have in the chapel of koresh looks kinda like 70s neil diamond and no way was that guy "rock-n-roll"!

koresh looked pretty rock n roll for 1980s waco, tx

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
capital punishment is obviously a good idea in principle but in practice interfamilial blood feuds are way more efficient and safer
Punish Capital. Try some a this! Boycotts. Fuckin' cocksucker die! Peaceful protests. You stupid motherfucker! Fair trade. C'mon bitch! Die! Die! Strategic voting. You're fucking dead! How you like it!? www.Kiva.org. Fuckin' pussies! Bitch! This is some fucked up shit! Reforms. Motherfuckin' cocksucker!

acephalousuniverse posted:

Goethestein posted:

it makes perfect sense. you can understand killing in the heat of passion, but not as part of a system. why can you understand imprisonment as part of a system, but not in the heat of passion?

bc you dont imprison someone in the heat of passion? that makes no fucking sense at all. imprisoning someone is significantly different from killing them. and even if u did "imprison someone in the heat of passion" you can always let them out and deal with the consequences or someone else can rescue them or whatever because welp imprisoning someone is not the same as killing them because death is sort of permanent? you are posting like a d&d pedant

the rationale for the killing in the heat of passion is identical to the killing through the justice system: the person to be killed is worthless and deserves to die. if anything, the passionless calculus of this decision is far more defensible, as surely their crimes were greater and their guilt more certain.

well first no the rationale for killing in the heat of passion is that you felt such powerful emotion that you couldn't control yourself, there's no "rationale" by definition

but regardless the whole point of a court is that everything is up in the air and at least somewhat uncertain and has to be hashed out beyond any reasonable doubt because you're dealing with an uninvolved third party arbiter who saw nothing and can't really "know" what happened in any final sense, which is why making final decisions in a court is indefensible because the chance of being wrong is always there even with rational arguments and evidence

whereas if im a peasant rising up against a feudal lord or mexican guy in maricopa county prison assassinating sherriff joe or whatever im acting based on my own two eyes outside an oppressive system in which i can find no actual recourse and so i have no choice but to passionately destroy it

in other words yeah fuck "passionless calculus" of human lives that's why revolutions should happen in the first place (so the oppressed can get at a life beyond the utility of oppressive classes)

on top of everything else the de sade quote (on its own out of context anyway) doesn't even condone "random murder," it just says that's its more understandable because doing something out of strong emotions that you yourself can be held accountable for (to whatever extent if you believe in that kind of thing) at least has a comprehensible motive whereas actually "rationally" choosing to kill someone when they're already in prison and their death will have no actual positive effect and you're having someone else do it for you and distributing blame societally to an impersonal system of law is actually pretty incomprehensible

of course it has a positive effect. it makes people feel good that the person is dead.

Edited by Goethestein ()

discipline posted:

haha this thread is swarming with federal agents now gj yall

care to answer to your crimes mr. federallady???

there arent any actual federal agents on this forum lol

Impper posted:

how would you know this

a little fact i like to call "we suck"
The rhizzone is up to some pretty nefarious shit. We're the scourge of the blogosphere and no doubt the feds will take note.

Impper posted:

stellarwind counts for at least 1 deadken

imma federall gaygent
[account deactivated]
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3004816&userid=128834
Its time for Top 10 things Tpaine said today 10. "...needs a nerf."
9. (deleting a file) "Baleeted!"
8. (restoring a deleted file) (in pathetic "quiet imitation of yelling" voice) "Live damn you! Live!"
7. (even quieter, without even moving lips) "Hubba hubba."
6. "Thank you for calling Build-a-Bear."
5. "Santa? No such thing."
4. "What was I doing in here anyway? Oh yeah."
3. "What are you, chicken? (flapping arms to resemble a chicken's wings) "Chicken... chicken.... chicken..."
2. "Ahrrrreh?!!"
1. "Go back to bed motherrrr!!"
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Goethestein posted:

of course it has a positive effect. it makes people feel good that the person is dead.

i gues your right then bcause id be glad if u were dead >8D

[account deactivated]
See More Crazy Pictures & Videos on Owned.com
[account deactivated]

HenryKrinkle posted:

Thanks... I think I just might

Meursault posted:

HenryKrinkle posted:

Thanks... I think I just might

i like the one wit the truclk lol

tpaine posted:

i would say "wise fwom yo gwave" btw.

[account deactivated]
Its time for top things tpaine said today 2012. New feature
10. Oh don piano youtube vide
9 Cooking youtube video
8 Masaokis youtube Vidio
7. "Youtube poop" style youtube video
6. Parrots swearing youtube vido
5. Tourettes Guy Youtub Video
4. Paula Deen "Youtube Poop" Style Youtube Video
3. Paula Deen Youtube video
2. "I dont care if I'm 35, Mom, what you are doing counts as child abuse!!"
1. "Sigh."

The state should never be given the right to murder its own citizens.

Paradol posted:

oooh how principled and uncompromising, you must be a Man of Morality

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

Paradol posted:

oooh how principled and uncompromising, you must be a Man of Morality

I prefer "Great Man of Morality", but I'm evolved enough to not stand on ceremony.

the state should be allowed to murder its own citizens assuming that those citizens can be reasonably proven to have done something deserving it