tldr: AMA
does torture work?
torture definitely works. the entire process of capturing bin laden relies on either torturing dudes or dudes willing to talk because they are afraid of being tortured
how cowardly are the american forces
one of the characters knows where bin laden is but the bigshots at HQ want more evidence so he says "where are we going to get more evidence!?? culture's changed in washington, we can't ask these guys questions anymore! from gitmo? some guy'll just lawyer up and tell his lawyer to warn osama!!"
i don't think i'll ever watch zd30 b/c the people who say there's anything good about it also think hurt locker was a good movie when it was in fact god awful
is it possible to consider beckett's molloy as a political rather than an existential text. are the two terms necessarily opposed. will the days start getting longer soon. will hugo chavez recover from his illness. can one understand heidegger without first reading husserl. how come i dont have a girlfriend

Crow posted:

how cowardly are the american forces

they murder a lady in front of her screaming children and its no big deal

Did the interviewers enjoy it, or was it just a necessary evil?
40 minutes in, which has been 90% either torturing dude or talking about torturing dudes, two characters are talking and obama's 60 minutes interview comes on and he says "the us does not torture. i will repair our moral standing" and its impossible not to read the scene as obama either lying or being totally naive

NounsareVerbs posted:

theres a part where the head interrogator dude talks about how torturing people for a living is screwing him up, the poor baby

thirdplace posted:

i don't think i'll ever watch zd30 b/c the people who say there's anything good about it also think hurt locker was a good movie when it was in fact god awful

why did you dislike that movie so much

e: never going to watch zd30 either because the topic seems really boring

Goethestein posted:

NounsareVerbs posted:

theres a part where the head interrogator dude talks about how torturing people for a living is screwing him up, the poor baby

he should've realized that the state should be allowed to torture individuals assuming that those individuals can be reasonably proven to have done something deserving it

hurt lockers was at least an engaging action film imo zero dark thirty is a bit boring most of the time and as for its length heh lets say it was a little longer than 0:30
ive been replying to people who message me on my fake girl okc accounts with random @dril tweets its pretty funny
Hi!..how are you doing?..

did you know that the bible doesn't actually contain any references to hell? or heaven? or christ?? it just a bunch of names & phone numbers

Now.i.can.see.why you like kurt vonnegut!! Is.that your.perception about the bible aften watching The life of Brian? Sent from the OkCupid app

how to convince my uncles to combine into one superuncle so that i only have to buy one christmas card? how to do it? how to ddo this? how

Dont buy any xmas cards. Santa claus is a capitalist greedy guy, dont listen to him Sent from the OkCupid app

some info i picked up: the brown recluse spider, lknown for its venomous bite, is not actually brown. also theyre not spiders, theyre birds
did any of the torture scenes give you an erection

deadken posted:

Now.i.can.see.why you like kurt vonnegut!!

Hi there
I hope 2013 is treating you well so far.
I know a great little cocktail place in Camden if you fancy it sometime.
Rick x

today's the day that i put on my high heel cowboy boots & stomp the shit out of the fake plastic son that my father raised before i was born

Go get em cow girl!
By the way, I own a fadora and I'm not afraid to use it.

how to convince my uncles to combine into one superuncle so that i only have to buy one christmas card? how to do it? how to ddo this? how

Super glue and violence.... That's how I'd do it. If they get shitty about it then remove them from your Christmas card list. Job done.
Here to help.

"Are Game's The Da Vinci Of The Modern Age" the interrogator barks. "What If Super Mario Was Real Life" he slaps the suspect across the face
James Gandolfini as Leon Panetta

Goethestein posted:

40 minutes in, which has been 90% either torturing dude or talking about torturing dudes, two characters are talking and obama's 60 minutes interview comes on and he says "the us does not torture. i will repair our moral standing" and its impossible not to read the scene as obama either lying or being totally naive

i am sure the basic conservative reaction to this is (supposed to be) he's both naive and, thankfully, completely disconnected from the actual machinations of the state which will Git Er Dun even if some brainwashed hippies vote in a muslim as "president", you don't make the greatest country in the world without breaking a few heads etc

Do they show the helicopter crash during the raid?

gyrofry posted:

did any of the torture scenes give you an erection

there's this funny part about the time the cia people got bombed in afghanistan a few years back. one cia lady is IMing another about the Epic informant thats coming in to talk and well maybe its funnier in pics form

this is like 30 minutes after same lady says re: a detainee "and if he doesn't talk we'll just kill him heh"

Lol at liberals in here casting torture as “cowardly” or wrong.

Stop slandering the NKVD
funnier if you think about how vilerats death wasnt all too dissimilar just a lot more goony

MadMedico posted:

Do they show the helicopter crash during the raid?

yeah. it's funny...i don't know how much of the trouble with the raid is true and how much of it is Adversity added on for Dramatic Effect but man am i a lot less afraid of a special ops raid now, dudes can't do shit

Maya_173: 420 blaze it faggot
Jessica_19: FUCK

Jessica_19: gunfire
20 Special Black Ops Elite Delta Force Ranger Seals with nightvision, breach charges, radio, GPS, body armor, two ultraclassified stealth helicopters, dogs, sniper cover and silenced automatic weapons very nearly fail to complete a mission against 12 children, four women and three (3) men, one of whom is armed
at the very end of the movie the female protagonist gets on a plane and starts crying, like, what an incredible ordeal for me, a person who was in a conference room 500 miles away during the climax and in absolutely no danger for 99% of the runtime of this film

The_Schliski posted:

thirdplace posted:

it was really boring and poorly paced

The_Schliski posted:

thirdplace posted:

this was one of the most harrowing scenes from zero dank thrifty

thirdplace posted:

i would like an explanation that has more words in sentences that address the point you are making here not a gene shalit review because it is an interesting POV that you have there imo

was it not even worth that sort of effort on your part

some1 please photoshop "FUCK, gunfire" into the chatlog above, for great justice, tia
i watched the hurt locker with my dad, a yugoslav vet, and we were both pretty bored by it. and despite all the media attention on its psychological realism or whatever, i remember my dad finding it ridiculous in parts. i can barely recall the basic plot, but i remember there's a scene where terrorists kill a kid and stuff his body with explosives. also, despite it's attempts to portray the protagonist as fundamentally damaged it seemed to be ultimately saying "well, we need maverick adrenaline junkies like him in war" and if he wasn't a bomb expert and was instead sniper or something, it would be a lot more sinister.
eh looks like a telesync. thanks, but i'll wait for at least a proper screener
the head Marine Navy Ranger was portrayed by Andy Dwyer from parks and recreation.
Question, was the raid to massacre Osama Bin Laden, or the operation or unit or whatever, actually called Zero Dark Thirty.
i dont think so