[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i put up the least twee song others have a chick singer.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Some good points made in this thread. Heres my two cents: the last thing you want to do when youre tearing down an ideology is insult the people who are symbolic of it. Its easier to get people on your side when you use academic language to criticize vague, poorly defined power structures. People respond poorly to rhetoric that involves specific groups of people as scapegoats
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

*rapes a female Soldier, promises to kill her if she says anything about it* gosh if only those leftists at home spent more time just trying to talk to me on my own level and not with their starbucks hipster friends *comically shrugs shoulders* it's a funny world isn't it

yea you did all this last time, its dumb + meaningless. you might as well go "*shoots a bunch of people in the head* oh it's because i'm so oppressed by the legacy of slavery *sells crack to children* the whole system is against me *makes dreadful hip-hop 'music* i never got taken to classical concerts because of racism." that's a moronic line of argument, so's yours, you can recognise that people do things which are utterly horrific without feeling the need to culture a pathological hatred or play some ridiculous game of Absolute Moral Responsibility

this is a bit more complicated than it seems, at least for me. on one hand, i completely sympathize with the troop haters. the stories that were posted in iFederico's thread are fucking gross, and i can only hope those milgoons get called back for another tour of duty, and get their heads blown clean off their shoulders for the crimes they've committed. fuck em.

on the other hand, it kinda pisses me off that all service members are automatically considered to be irredeemable before they even step foot into boot camp. what frustrates me about this is that a few of you are being really glib about your understanding of the circumstances that cause some of these people to consider joining such a dehumanizing thing. i grew up (and still am) a prole, and because of my background, i viscerally understand the concept of sometimes having to contemplate morally questionable decisions in order to keep a roof over your head and food in the fridge. sometimes, the options that are made available to you are shit, and you're powerless to change that. the few vets (who are good guys btw) that i personally know joined the military, because they wanted to escape some really dire situations. one got his arm ripped off, and the other suffers from crippling ptsd, and both carry a deep sense of regret. for someone who's poor and politically apathetic with very few opportunities, becoming a soldier is seen as a more stable and respectable route than slinging g for a living. or something illegal like that.

i'm not trying to ignore the concept of personal responsibility. it still really matters, i get it. i just find it more constructive to focus my hatred on the whole organization, the scum who rape and murder with impunity (and the people who protect them), and the socio-economic system that forces us to make these horrible choices in order to survive.
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

here's my point: if you're propagandized to the point that you can be in the military and think what you're doing is in any way acceptable from any the standpoint of any moral code, you're too fucking stupid to be trusted with a gun

defending freedom 9/11 my country right or wrong git r done it's not nice but it's the mission. how are you so dumb

Crow posted:

I mean, it's simple, really. Repentant troops can help us kill the unrepentant ones, mercy kills really, a labor of love, on the way to the top military brass who will be summarily executed. If they haven't defected yet. I guess the answer lied in the middle, smack dab in my post.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
there are people here who defend red terror, and i'm kinda one of them, but in red terror a lot of people die, some of whom probably didnt deserve to. theres no difference in the process of deciding how many kulak vs how many afghan deaths are acceptable. it depends on the overall telos. i happen to think that communism is good and defending are american homeland is dumb but there's nothing to differentiate the two processes of moral calculus that makes the red guards good dudes and us soldiers sociopaths
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

deadken posted:

tpaine posted:

here's my point: if you're propagandized to the point that you can be in the military and think what you're doing is in any way acceptable from any the standpoint of any moral code, you're too fucking stupid to be trusted with a gun

defending freedom 9/11 my country right or wrong git r done it's not nice but it's the mission. how are you so dumb

are you saying that buying into that is not the mark of a person who should be institutionalized

yes

deadken posted:

Crow posted:

Wow damn i guess everything really is impersonal and there's no responsibility for anything. I think troops are great, why yes i am a pieace of fuckin shit.... God damn do i own, as a peace of shit ...I go fuck my self on the daily, JEsus fuck

yeah basically

ken this is really weak, you can't take an antihumanist stance denying the autonomy of the individual after identifying the profoundly humanist category of class consciousness as the site for a solution of these problems, something that is completely rooted in the idea of the autonomy of the subject

deadken posted:

if people have false consciousness it's because leftists aren't broadcasting their ideas loudly and comprehensively enough. soldiers have been an essential class element in every revolution.

this idea is entirely predicated on the argument that you dismissed out of hand, the idea that individuals make decisions based on their considered moral calculus, yet somehow you think the clarity and spread of radical propaganda is enough to change their minds en masse? ff you deny that troops make a reasoned judgment about the horrific implications of enrolling in the u.s. military as opposed to acting nakedly in their class interests as is determined by the reproduction of inhuman forces, why do you think they will be susceptible to making a reasoned judgement, based on the singularly humanist tactic of raising consciousness, to fight for a socially progressive cause? If a troop has the individual autonomy required to change the path of their life based on an exposure to the ideas of a leftist message, they also have the autonomy to consciously and intentionally take part in the slaughter of innocents. it's ridiculous that you can deny a factor exists only to use it as the entire basis of your idea of a solution. individual do not have autonomy, but the spread of our propaganda will grant it to them? is it possible to take a stance more idealist than that?

where i stand is that i buy the antihumanist view of social relations. structures that determine violence and inequality in society are engaged in the roughly autonomous reproduction of themselves and produce the subjectivity of individuals in society. the mechanisms of class division instill in social groups a subjectivity based on class interests. the bourgeois act in the interest of the bourgeois, the proletariat act in the interest of the proletariat. but these structures do not reproduce themselves simply through the efficacy of their ideas, they reproduce themselves through affecting material reality by the forceful mobilization of social forces that, through a process of subjectification, reinforce the social order that gave birth to them. having taken this into account, the only clear path i see to actually weaken the reproduction of the structures of violence and inequality is to eradicate the social forces through which the reproduction of these forces is made possible. i don't think ending the lives of every last u.s. troop is going to put a final end to the reproduction of imperialism anymore than i think executing every last rapist is going to end rape, but it sure isn't going to hurt. how can you expect to target the structures of imperialism without taking a violent opposition to the forces that allow these structures to enforce themselves on a material plane? troop hate is effective agitprop because it identifies who the enemy is, not play dishonest rhetorical games to endear ourselves to people who do not have our interests at heart in the first place

the people in the u.s. military are not the proletariat. they do not possess any synchronicity with the interests of the proletariat. why does the labour aristocracy suddenly embody an opportunity for progressive social mobilization? why should we suddenly throw any critique of the average u.s. citizen as complicit in the exploitation of the global proletariat to the wind? these people slaughter innocent children because it is in their class interest to do so. there is an evident psychopathy at work, the forces of imperialist agression are schizophrenic, we live in a society where the murder of pakistani children is understood as the vehicle of the benevolent global expansion of peace and freedom across the globe, an empire in decline near declaring itself the most powerful military force the world has ever seen, aren't you lucky it has your interests at heart ... just because this sociopathy is produced so widely and so inhumanly by the structures of social inequality doesn't mean it doesn't exist

what ken seems to want is the labour aristocracy of the imperialist nations, enthralled by the mystique of a radical leftism degenerated to the practice of myth, the abstract significations of rank & file, the cartoonish propaganda that "our enemy is your enemy too!" (which far from simply being profoundly untrue also reeks of the anticapitalist propaganda of the nazis, one which places responsibility solely on the small group of financial elite, the big bad jewish parasites who run our world, making an innocent victim out of the labour aristocracy we should be condemning)... this isn't marxism, this isn't leftism, this is the corporatist allegiance of the military and labour aristocracy

deadken posted:

he blames those under the influence of false consciousness for having false consciousness because his analysis is not built on any solid theoretical base.

as if fascism masquerading as leftism is any more stable?

Crow posted:

there's no such thing as false consciousness: everything is damned in the scope of infinity.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

d4ky posted:

i'm not trying to ignore the concept of personal responsibility. it still really matters, i get it.

lol no it doesnt. its really weird how whenever the Troops Question comes up half this forum suddenly turns into bootstraps libertarians

[account deactivated]
labor aristocracy is such a bullshit term. you're either bourgeois or prole.
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

deadken posted:

d4ky posted:

i'm not trying to ignore the concept of personal responsibility. it still really matters, i get it.

lol no it doesnt. its really weird how whenever the Troops Question comes up half this forum suddenly turns into bootstraps libertarians

haha wait a second wasn't there a thread about this at wddp of all places and i had to shut your stupid shit up then

yeah and you did the same *kills over 9000 iraqis* whoops! thing and it was dumb and its still dumb

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

deadken posted:

d4ky posted:

haha wait a second wasn't there a thread about this at wddp of all places and i had to shut your stupid shit up then

you've actually had this conversation in olde LF and in WDDP and now in the Rhizzone. you will have this conversation in future Laser Faire as well. you are doomed.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
instead of robbing banks isn't it easier to just steal stuff
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

deadken posted:

there are people here who defend red terror, and i'm kinda one of them, but in red terror a lot of people die, some of whom probably didnt deserve to. theres no difference in the process of deciding how many kulak vs how many afghan deaths are acceptable. it depends on the overall telos. i happen to think that communism is good and defending are american homeland is dumb but there's nothing to differentiate the two processes of moral calculus that makes the red guards good dudes and us soldiers sociopaths

see here's a huge problem, you have a sort of negativist, subtractive program of ethics that doesn't make really make sense to me in building a communist (liberated) subjectivity. which if your aims are different, is well and good, but i'm not sure what you plan to do with these ethical coordinates other than enact some sort of repetitive Pure Mayhem.

like what's the Red Terror? comparing the contradiction of relations (ie. dialectical relation) of the Red Terror to the Afghanistan invasion is like comparing a conquest of inner space (as in, a total discipline of the human) versus conquest of externalities (an obsessive and doomed manipulation of bodies beyond personal control). in your relation to this, which is really a nonrelation, you betray the liberatory ethical dimension: the Red Terror is only necessary as a defensive measure of justice, while the war in Afghanistan etc is quite clearly (as demonstrated in a number of texts posted in LF through the years) a neurotic, horrific misadventure. the only 'necessity' of the latter are as a markers for a truly dark eschatology: there is no light at the end of the tunnel.

and so this becomes fraught with negativity: the only facts of the two instances worth mentioning to you is a clinical bodycount. and a bodycount without an intervention of a universal ethical subjectivity is exactly the problem in modernity

I'm not sure why you thought it was appropriate to post about GiP in the Freepers thread, but next time you see something on SA that you want to complain about, PM a mod, post about it in QCS, or ignore it. User loses posting privileges for 1 day. Joementum T. Mascis
this theoretical stuff is all very interesting but we're not in a revolutionary situation and i personally find that contempt without action or catharsis becomes emotionally crippling and don't want to live my life in that manner.
[account deactivated]