wasted posted:

breaking bad is a show about cooking meth responsibly or something

breaking bad's that show on AMC about the zombie apocalypse right? oh wait that's the walking dead; another poorly lit, poorly shot, boring serial for middlebrow losers

stop trolling iwc.
more like Boring (and) Bad
stop trolling. everybody just stop trolling

no iwc the sopranos was shit as well
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/florida
I found cycloneboys blog yo
http://www.cotwa.info
barking bad is a great show about dogs on both sides of the law
[account deactivated]

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

wasted posted:

breaking bad's that show on AMC about the zombie apocalypse right? oh wait that's the walking dead; another poorly lit, poorly shot, boring serial for middlebrow losers

say what you will about breaking bad, it is a shit show, but walking dead is at least on the right track.

I will say, though, why the fuck aren't there more suits of armour and melee weaponry? Zombies aren't going to scratch you if you have gauntlets, a full suit of plate, and a two handed sword. hell, you could go for lighter armour and a smaller sword, just completely cover yourself.

There is no excuse whatsoever to use guns against zombies, when five people with spears and shields could easily clear an entire building. America has museums and weapon stores, it's not that hard to find a nice melee weapon and some protective gear.

Next, why are there so many americans on the show, and why are they so depressed and hopeless. Americans are dreadful people to include in any story, yet here the whole show consists of them. Next, a zombie apocalypse is an opportunity, not a disaster. Everyone just spits the dummy and cries about life sucking, but yet they've banded together in groups and have a real shot at remaking society. This is a huge opportunity to start your own royal family, to promulgate classical standards of morality, to end christianity and other false religions; go for it, this is fucking golden, what the fuck is wrong with you lot???

full plate armor is awkward, heavy, and difficult to procure. shark chainmail or motorcycle leathers would be sufficient and much more practical
zombie chat.

Goethestein was probated until (Feb. 21, 2013 03:33:35) for this post!

zombie chat is the only reason that terrible show is on the air, people love talking about the end of the world
everybody needs to stop probating each other
[account deactivated]
less dexterous, more aggressive. but we all know what it would sound like
most instances of zombie fiction do not allow for the existence of zombie animals. resident evil is an exception
I just really struggle to see the appeal. So alright, i'll flip it around, why is it a good show and why is it worth investing 40-50 hours of my life in watching, plus 60-70 more hours spent asking people if they've seen breaking bad and acting affronted when they say no and telling them they have to watch it
the zombie genre is a serious example of Individualism and libertarianism, like if you watch any movie with slow zombies three to four protagonists without combat training or usually even automatic weapons can kill a few dozen without much trouble. if you look at the walking dead it's gotta be in the hundreds, mostly hand-to-hand. yet the rest of society, including the police and military, couldn't muster anything resembling a 1-1 K : D ratio.
zombie media is the modern western

mongosteen posted:

the zombie genre is a serious example of Individualism and libertarianism, like if you watch any movie with slow zombies three to four protagonists without combat training or usually even automatic weapons can kill a few dozen without much trouble. if you look at the walking dead it's gotta be in the hundreds, mostly hand-to-hand. yet the rest of society, including the police and military, couldn't muster anything resembling a 1-1 K : D ratio.

If anything breaking bad is more representative of modern zombie culture than the walking dead

"brainsssss...brainss....i'll burn you the series man....brainsss....it's epic....brainssss"

amcs the walking dead is not a very good show

I just really struggle to see the appeal. So alright, i'll flip it around, why is it a good show and why is it worth investing 40-50 hours of my life in watching, plus 60-70 more hours spent asking people if they've seen breaking bad and acting affronted when they say no and telling them they have to watch it

it's not supposed to be a chore man

thirdplace posted:

it's not supposed to be a chore man

which is exactly my point. the medium of TV is pretty much by definition full of extraneous bullshit. The Sopranos and the Simpsons in it's heyday (actually x-files at the time too) were the only shows i've ever done that with. Otherwise, you're just getting jerked around by producers who want to put out as much content as possible to maximize their money.

So what story or lesson or insight does breaking bad offer in it's, i dunno, 60 or whatever episodes that couldn't be portrayed in a two hour movie

people just want you to watch it b/c they enjoyed it and want you to join them in enjoyment. if it doesn't work for you so be it I guess? it was never like "read this marxist tract to become a better person" yo know? it is basically just scarface with a 2nd protagonist with an opposite trajectory, and more fleshed out supporting characters nothing new under the sun but fun imo
all good americans watch tv. it's a way to pass time

thirdplace posted:

people just want you to watch it b/c they enjoyed it and want you to join them in enjoyment. if it doesn't work for you so be it I guess? it was never like "read this marxist tract to become a better person" yo know? it is basically just scarface with a 2nd protagonist with an opposite trajectory, and more fleshed out supporting characters nothing new under the sun but fun imo

If it's like scarface with a few bells and whistles why would it take literally 25 times as long to tell the story? idgi

so that they can tell 25 times as many little ministories and give me something to watch every sunday for 5 years. thats a lot of sundays made a little bit brighter by breaking bad. i hope mad men lasts forever

ilmdge posted:

so that they can tell 25 times as many little ministories and give me something to watch every sunday for 5 years. thats a lot of sundays made a little bit brighter by breaking bad. i hope mad men lasts forever

this is such a devastatingly hopeless sentiment, jesus.

When it comes to art/entertainment this is what......

Is it meant to be a coherent saga or is it meant to be a vehicle by which the writers can chuck in morsels of ideas to keep the coke and whores coming?

mongosteen posted:

everybody needs to stop probating each other

Mingosteen for mod

ilmdge posted:

i think they said season 7 is going to be the last season of mad men

http://en.seoi.net/sokumen/?n=Hitler

wasted posted:

i thought you liked middlebrow losers and wanted to absorb yourself into mediocrity

HBO Rome was good, parts of Spartacus are good, Walking Dead presents some really great opportunities but then the characters are too common and american to figure out what they should do, Game of Thrones was good for some reason but actually I don't remember why I bothered watching it I think my wife made me, Always Sunny in Philadelphia made me laugh but I wouldn't say its a "good" show given how low class the characters are, I watched some other halfway decent shows too but I can't be bothered discussing them I'm just writing now because I want this to be the longest sentence on the Rhizzone.

animedad posted:

wasted posted:

i thought you liked middlebrow losers and wanted to absorb yourself into mediocrity

I don’t have a problem with mediocrity and people liking it, but when mediocre shit starts to be viewed by intelligent people as ‘groundbreaking’ or ‘intelligent’ it’s a bit of a canary in the coal mine moment.

The problem with these shows is they are television for the sake of television. Their number one aesthetic principle is that they must be good television. This primarily means they are easy to ignore. If you get distracted by a text message or conversation, you can get right back into the show when you return to it, whether it was paused or had been running. The audio alone can be enough to "watch" the show, so it lends itself to multitasking and background noise. This is "valuable" in the context of, like, Barthes' view of wrestling from the essay in Mythologies, as drama where every character, action, pose, moment, line of dialogue, is a full spectacle, a complete narrative within the moment, but as their only drive is to compete for the amount of time the public spends consuming television entertainment, this moment is empty and pointless. That's why so many of these shows have twisting plots that avoid a typical sense of story, because they have no aesthetic purpose beside their own pointless self-continuation. The valuable shows don't take it for granted that art is a process by which people establish cultural meaning, they try to actually say something...
All of you have Netflix, go watch Terriers, its a terrific show because it has a unique vision of comedy and the detective story, but watch how every single shot and line of dialogue is completely expository, so that at any moment you can start watching and within 10 seconds you have a more or less complete understanding of everything that's going on. thats wtf im talkin about.
[account deactivated]

swampman posted:

The problem with these shows is they are television for the sake of television. Their number one aesthetic principle is that they must be good television. This primarily means they are easy to ignore. If you get distracted by a text message or conversation, you can get right back into the show when you return to it, whether it was paused or had been running. The audio alone can be enough to "watch" the show, so it lends itself to multitasking and background noise. This is "valuable" in the context of, like, Barthes' view of wrestling from the essay in Mythologies, as drama where every character, action, pose, moment, line of dialogue, is a full spectacle, a complete narrative within the moment, but as their only drive is to compete for the amount of time the public spends consuming television entertainment, this moment is empty and pointless. That's why so many of these shows have twisting plots that avoid a typical sense of story, because they have no aesthetic purpose beside their own pointless self-continuation. The valuable shows don't take it for granted that art is a process by which people establish cultural meaning, they try to actually say something...

YES