whoa those were some shockingly coherent posts. everything alright, conec?
conec that first quote is from melissa gira grant in the linked article, not discpiline fyi
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
this whole charade is falling apart... pack it in everyone
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
That was still a funny post though so cheers. Remember - keep your feet on the ground and reach for the stars
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
who's defending the right to traffic women, could you c+p+link something if its not too much trouble cos it sounds meccha kuccha disturbingu
also what's the deal with this http://t.co/eAkxf2wxel
[account deactivated]
imo reification is the root of all evil. political autism that allows you to treat people as members of categories, say something as obviously alien to any healthy person's actual lived experience as "sex is just another form of labor"

and man i sympathize because i can be a little be of an autist sometimes too, if i'm not being careful, but we all need to work them mirror neurons
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

conec posted:

are u asking if i have low literacy or sth, why beat around the bsuh dickipline? clearly i didn`t click ur lil link or read dis thread, so what exactly are u getting at u boring clod --yawns--

no respect from these 90s babies. no respect

[account deactivated]
fight fight fight fight *opens popcorn*
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
liberalism is pretty cool where you can be like, whenever you mention injustice you're taking away the human rights of the mistreated to their autonomous choices to suffer abuse. Hella prom night jealous about this cool & fun feature of liberalism. Your thoughts?
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:

it's called "sex migration" now they had almost a whole fucking conference about it in england http://www.amazon.com/Sex-Margins-Migration-Markets-Industry/dp/1842778609

This groundbreaking book explodes several myths: that selling sex is completely different from any other kind of work, that migrants who sell sex are passive victims and that the multitude of people out to save them are without self-interest. Laura Agustin makes a passionate case against these stereotypes, arguing that the label 'trafficked' does not accurately describe migrants' lives and that the 'rescue industry' serves to disempower them. Based on extensive research amongst both migrants who sell sex and social helpers, "Sex at the Margins" provides a radically different analysis. Frequently, says Agustin, migrants make rational choices to travel and work in the sex industry, and although they are treated like a marginalised group they form part of the dynamic global economy. Both powerful and controversial, this book is essential reading for all those who want to understand the increasingly important relationship between sex markets, migration and the desire for social justice.

I don't see how this advocates for sex slavery, unless I need a pair of those They Live sunglasses to see these hidden messages to reveal the pimps under their human disguises. Do you get them from the Harris County Sheriff's department?

*Puts on sunglasses* "holy shit, Melissa Gira Grant is actually a Latino gangster with a grill and MS-13 tattoos!"

Edited by blinkandwheeze ()

my understanding is that most modern slaves (of whatever sort) work for a nominal wage, while being charged by their employer (and generally indebted) for their room and board. thus, its it pretty easy to define someone who in actuality has no real freedom as an empowered worker if one is so inclined

thirdplace posted:

my understanding is that most modern slaves (of whatever sort) work for a nominal wage, while being charged by their employer (and generally indebted) for their room and board. thus, its it pretty easy to define someone who in actuality has no real freedom as an empowered worker if one is so inclined

and that dynamic is of course particularly acute for sex workers due to a combination of the historically fucked up pimp/prostitute dynamic, cultural stigma making it harder to lean on familial/social networks, and the fact that the work is generally illegal (altho when it comes to these situations the work is basically illegal no matter what it is, or at best is perceived as such by the victim, because of immigration law)

[account deactivated]
innovative!

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/19/cuba-lovers-golden-age-economic-reforms
innovative!

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jan/20/jamaican-bobsled-team-raises-dogecoin-winter-olympics
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
possibilities

- conec is a 45 year old man named Barry
- conec thinks Steve Roggenbuck is funny or interesting
- conec has internalized the truism that in those gay Chinese cartoons she watches all social problems and inequities and futile anguish are replaced with one or more beseifuku'd high school girls whose biggest problem is one of them forgot their lunch box that day