i make games and am interested in making oen where you play as an urban guerrilla, maoist in china, RAF member in 80s etc. and was wondering where to start on learning about the logistics/everyday life of these groups. I read a great historyof the RAF recently and was thinking about making it a sort of historical sim game where you play as revolutionaries in different periods and have to use different tactics/strategies in response to different historic political economic situations and then having a present day and/or future vision of the same. so i guess book recommendations/and or games that are similar?
at the bare minimum it will be an murder simulator for bankers, cops, etc. but it would be nice to have a strategy layer on top with some realistic stuff, also some nice text.
make a game where you make setup production chains across the world articulated through imperialism it will be more revolutionary then pretending to play urban guerrilla which will inevitably fail to represent the social configurations around those moments
to what end are you making this game, i don't follow sorry
Haha, although I have absolutely no current ability in video games, and thus my suggestions are almost without merit, I've thought about making the same game.
I was thinking of making a game similar to X-COM (the original, played the new one). By which I mean it'd be in a fictional country with a variety of different climate zones and flora, with a few large cities each focused on different economic interests, with some smaller villages. I was thinking of a south american country, although that was just my musing.
And the game would start with just you in the country, in a pre-revolutionary period, and you could decide where to start your actions and even what those actions would be. So you could start propaganda of the deed, and it would garner support from anarchists, but the support might be higher in the city with a previous anarchist history, or start as a trade unionist and try and start strikes and blockades as an attempt to create change.
Or more of a maoist strategy, start in the villages and grow support. So it would have a variety of different play styles, with different difficulties inherent in each type of struggle.
Gameplay would be a mix of X-COM and freedom fighters, where you could set up bases, increase recruitment, build bases (from bolt holes hidden in abandoned buildings to mountain fastnesses with bunker systems), and interact with them from a first person perspective. And even your actions would influence your support base, with personally contributing to the construction of say field hospitals would increase your support from communists, or killing a lot of minorities increasing the support from fascists.
But of course, at the end of the game the fascist would receive a bad score, as you are judged negatively by history for your outrages.
the dwarf fortress dude made a game that i guess was sort of like xcom (never played) but with left wing terrorism
propoganda
http://lcs.wikidot.com/

looks cool haha but you play as a liberal
y'all are nerds

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

y'all are nerds

shuffle away troll

grand theft auto san andreas
someone already made jagged alliance 2. however no one played it
ya i should play that
ill pay to host the wiki
games are for children
i thought this was a revleft repost...
they already have a game of revolution... it's called real life... *flips you a quarter* here's something to get you started
a historical materialist age of empires in which the player has to overthrow himself to age up
getfishcal ur av reminds me of my teenage years as a vegan crust punk lol

(no longer gay)
what games have you made if you are a game maker

also how about a game adaptation of the anabasis that plays like a mix of castles 2 and a tbs?
I'm not sure if you've heard of The Zybourne Clock but it's supposed to be really good.

swirlsofhistory posted:

i thought this was a revleft repost...

lol yeah. i agree w/ the other guy i guess that if you want to make a game w/ revolutionary qualities i dont really see call of duty: the coming insurrection as the most interesting/useful manifestation of that but hey what the heck do i know, good luck op, games are cool. i think sony is announcing the PlayStation 4 right now, if that helps . . .

yeah but im more interested in getting news outlets screaming in outrage about how my game promotes terrorism and murder than actual, you know, communist values. actually it would just be cool. wait, actually no. wait, ah fuck!

SovietFriends posted:

make a game where you make setup production chains across the world articulated through imperialism it will be more revolutionary then pretending to play urban guerrilla which will inevitably fail to represent the social configurations around those moments

see, mapgames are proletarian culture

also dont do the RAF theyre so passé and also kind of sucked compared to the revolutionäre zellen
ya im watching carlos and the revolutionary cells people are doing all the cool stuff.

Lykourgos posted:

also how about a game adaptation of the anabasis that plays like a mix of castles 2 and a tbs?

what is uir favorite translation of the anabasis?

[account deactivated]
how about go outside
In all seriousness I can think of few things less revolutionary and more reactionary than computer games

Off the top of my head: Orson Scott Card, the Kentucky Derby and truffle fries

In all seriousness I can think of few things less revolutionary and more reactionary than computer games

Counterpoint: Monkey Island, Reality

video games are the medium of the youth old man, cowabunga dude!

i also make real life games, like where you smash things with a swinging log and move guys around on a table and then throw balls to knock them over (tactical beer pong)
elemennop read the zizek thread imo
just take red faction: guerilla and make it take place in europe instead of mars. shouldn't be too hard to change imo
Playing a video game is like more of a chore than work, I don’t understand how people can fill their time with it.
get this: learning to skillfully do something difficult is fun.
ahahahahahahahahahahahahah
thanks Crimethinc

Playing a video game is like more of a chore than work, I don’t understand how people can fill their time with it.

i guess you wouldn't understand that, considering it seems like you've never dedicated yourself to anything at all