Crow posted:

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

Crow posted:

No Moscow no real list

It’s definitely one of those ex-pat lists (‘domestic help’ is a category on here lol) but yeah. I can imagine some out-of-control property and high-end markets there but is food and transport and shit like that very expensive in Moscow?

I was impressed at what good value London was which says something

Oh and Mr Crow i'm reading this at the moment, you may like it

http://calvertjournal.com/comment/show/52/owen-hatherley-architecture-design-moscow-metro

transport can be pretty pricey unless you use the metro system, which is the best one i EVER seen, even though it obviously has suffered since the collapse. i read that article you linked a couple weeks ago and it's pretty spot-on. carriages are usually loud tho

food seems to be kind of split, either affordable or ridiculous. its a huge city so there's options, but you can tell its an oligarch city by just looking at many of the restaurants. it seems to have gotten better though. same for shopping

otherwise hotels and clubs are pretty dang expensive, hostels are okay, and property is astronomical. i've never seen such tough bouncers/"facecontrol". like many places in the world i can waltz through security in my hugo boss suit and the right look on my face (no not a funny look). not so in moscow

on the other hand discipline said Moscow was cheaper to get around than London so who knows, in this wild and crazy world, with such people in it!

politely quoting crow for the snipe

my uncle what looks like bill clinton lives in westchester hahahahahj
[account deactivated]
what's squatting legislation like in NYC? in Toronto it's apparently quite difficult to get thrown out of your apt for rent delinquency if you know how to game the system. like it takes a year if you're smart
i think i'd prefer to live in a fairly small condo apartment rather than a house in the suburbs or something. i doubt i'll be able to afford to buy unless i have a working wife or something though. i guess it depends where i end up too.

getfiscal posted:

Crow posted:

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

Crow posted:

No Moscow no real list

It’s definitely one of those ex-pat lists (‘domestic help’ is a category on here lol) but yeah. I can imagine some out-of-control property and high-end markets there but is food and transport and shit like that very expensive in Moscow?

I was impressed at what good value London was which says something

Oh and Mr Crow i'm reading this at the moment, you may like it

http://calvertjournal.com/comment/show/52/owen-hatherley-architecture-design-moscow-metro

transport can be pretty pricey unless you use the metro system, which is the best one i EVER seen, even though it obviously has suffered since the collapse. i read that article you linked a couple weeks ago and it's pretty spot-on. carriages are usually loud tho

food seems to be kind of split, either affordable or ridiculous. its a huge city so there's options, but you can tell its an oligarch city by just looking at many of the restaurants. it seems to have gotten better though. same for shopping

otherwise hotels and clubs are pretty dang expensive, hostels are okay, and property is astronomical. i've never seen such tough bouncers/"facecontrol". like many places in the world i can waltz through security in my hugo boss suit and the right look on my face (no not a funny look). not so in moscow

on the other hand discipline said Moscow was cheaper to get around than London so who knows, in this wild and crazy world, with such people in it!

politely quoting crow for the snipe

'==================================================================='

|| ___ ||
|| .' '. ||
|| / \ oOoOo ||
|| | | ,==||||| ||
|| \ / _|| ||||| ||
|| '.___.' _.-'^|| ||||| ||
|| __/_______.-' '==HHHHH ||
|| _.-'` / """"" ||
|| .-' / oOoOo ||
|| `-._ / ,==||||| ||
|| '-/._|| ||||| ||
|| / ^|| ||||| ||
|| / '==HHHHH ||
|| /________""""" ||
|| `\ `\ ||
|| \ `\ / ||
|| \ `\/ ||
|| / ||
|| / ||
|| /_____ ||
|| ||
'==================================================================='

discipline posted:

I'm not on a lease and I pay really under market prices for where I live. I also live in constant dread of being kicked out. do I have any rights, swamp man?

They are required to give you 30 days' notice before ending your tenancy. They can end it for any or no reason. You should be keeping documentation of all your payments to them, and of any contact you have with them.

There are basically only two ways you could fight an eviction or rent increase. One would be to show that the landlord's action was retaliatory against you acting within your rights as a tenant. If your apartment was without heat, and you withheld some rent to cover the electricity bill for space heaters, and immediately afterward the landlord evicted you, you might be able to show retaliation. Most people are too smart to act like that though. The other way would be if you contacted the DHCR, and got the long form rent history for your apartment, and found out it is rent stabilized and you've been overcharged. You could either leverage this knowledge against the landlord directly to preserve your current standing, or potentially file with the DHCR or housing court for a rent reduction, reimbursement, and maybe you'd even get yourself a lease out of it, but remember you'd also be blacklisted from renting with many landlords across the city, for having once taken legal action against a landlord (even if you were in the right).

Of course if anything like that happened the best idea would be to follow the advice of a tenant's rights lawyer and not me, who doesn't know quite everything yet...

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i'm glad my landlord is a chill mexican druggist always asking my opinion of his downstairs pharmacy with cool exposed brick and fake coffered ceiling

littlegreenpills posted:

what's squatting legislation like in NYC? in Toronto it's apparently quite difficult to get thrown out of your apt for rent delinquency if you know how to game the system. like it takes a year if you're smart

http://flag.blackened.net/daver/anarchism/squat.html

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

GOOD OZZIE SPIDAH. YOU WATCHIN UNCLE IWC TAKE EES REST?! WHAT AH YOU DEWIN!? GONNA HAVE A GO AT ME WHOILE I KENT DEFEND MYSELF? THAT'S NUTTER, MATE! YOU'RE ONE WOILD UNIT!! *iwc plays with the spider for a while before putting it back outside, genuinely wishing it well on its travels*

Pretty much

I got an empty plastic icecream tub and put it over him against the wall (I had to scurry him over to a flatter larger spage) then you just slide a bit of paper or thin cardboard between him and the wall, took him next door to a small park and gently popped him out into the bushes

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i want to live in NYC and be a transplant and be broke and sad all the time. basically like where i am now but instead ill be in New York Baby
don't take this the wrong way, piss, but you're just the man to do it!
The only saving grace in my god awful city is Mayor Nenshi. I highly recommend his tedx talk if you interested in city growth and what. very interesting.

I live in the dark and poor area :smug:

discipline posted:

the landlady owns the building and lives above me, she is a distant family acquaintance of a friend of mine and was doing her a favor in renting to me. I'd lean on that before I leaned on this city's legal infrastructure. good to know I've got 30 days in any case tho

They have 30 days to give you notice, but if you decide not to move out, eviction proceedings can take about six months if you decide to fight the eviction, so really, a renter can hang onto a place for quite a while if they know their rights and do the right things at the right times. The landlord has no right to lock you out of the place or force you out themselves, the cops have to show up with a court order for that.

Edited by swampman ()

[account deactivated]
No Sleep Til (All The Black People Have Been Priced Out Of) Brooklyn
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

I've started a new game, and I've been thinking about the perceptions of Tifa/Aeris. Now, I know in this thread we've covered it heavily before, so I am taking that into account.

[account deactivated]
wiki wiki wiki evicti
i gotta figure out where im gonna move 2 in august
as in, LA Nashville or Portland lol

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

i gotta figure out where im gonna move 2 in august

boot camp.

oh right. do air force ppl go to boot camp?

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

you betcha!

could i go to canada and try to enlist with no visa and get a visa bc im joining the cnadian army or w/e?

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

could i go to canada and try to enlist with no visa and get a visa bc im joining the cnadian army or w/e?

ask the army.ca forums.

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/airforcejoin/a/afbmt1.htm

It most certainly is not your Daddy's Air Force Basic Military Training (AFBMT) anymore. Since November 2005, the Air Force has changed the way they turn civilians into Air Force members, emphasizing war-fighting and remote deployment skills much more than they have in years past. First, they toughened up the physical fitness standards. Then they placed greater emphasis on weapons training. Next, they replaced classroom training on folding underwear into six-inch squares, with additional training on combat-related skills such as first aid "buddy care," and chemical/biological weapons defense.

Now the Air Force has made one more major change -- the length of basic training has been expanded from 6 1/2 week to 8 1/2 weeks, beginning with the class that starts training on November 3, 2008. So, what can you expect during AFBMT, and what can you do to get ready? Read on, my friend...

The Air Force only has one location for enlisted basic training: the 737th Training Group, at Lackland Air Force Base, in San Antonio, Texas. It doesn't matter if you're joining the active duty Air Force, the Air Force Reserves, or the Air National Guard. All new Air Force recruits go through the same basic training at Lackland. Each year, over 35,000 new recruits go through AFBMT. The new AFBMT is not only designed to teach the fundamentals of military life, but also places great emphasis on the Air Force Expeditionary Force (AEF) deployment cycle, which consists of pre-deployment, deployment and post-deployment phases.

[account deactivated]