Ironicwarcriminal posted:

Characters, their interactions with each other, and how they grow or change are the only thing that matter.

yeah totally thats why invisible cities was so good

i tried 2 read crash but it started to get inside my head... was i reading it or was it reading me
crash is physically painful to read at many points

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

Characters, their interactions with each other, and how they grow or change are the only thing that matter.

yeah totally thats why invisible cities was so good

yes, because of the core relationship between polo and khan, without which it would have been about as "classic" as reading resort reviews on expedia

ken you have all the aesthetic sensibilities of a 17 year old interpol fan that posts black and white photos of girls with bruises on their tumblr but somehow you managed to end up being a rlly compelling + good writer :-)

Edited by blinkandwheeze ()

HOW DID YOU FIND MY TUMBLR
lol ty
whats wrong with black and white photos of girls with bruises
i never listened to interpol, they seem like one of those gang of four knockoff bands that were everywhere like 6 years ago while i was rly big on dubstep lol. black and white photos of girls are cool though. Good Shit
more like joy division knockoff, but otherwise agreed
im listening to the new(ish) swans album. its p cool imo, i like the bit at the end of the title track where it abruptly stars sounding like can if they took loads of valium
speaking of dubstep man Burial is so boring
burial is good imo. its electronic music which tends to be, uh, a little repetitive, but i rly like his use of static and vocal samples... the best thing about burial tho is reading the awful pretentious nonsense online music journos come out with every time he releases an ep

deadken posted:

burial is good imo. its electronic music which tends to be, uh, a little repetitive, but i rly like his use of static and vocal samples... the best thing about burial tho is reading the awful pretentious nonsense online music journos come out with every time he releases an ep

I want to like it and it does achieve a “sense of urban alienation” etc etc (and whoever put this video on this track is kewl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDXuou-6dvg all video clips should be the front of trains) but it’s still just a soundscape and not a ‘song’, I can’t get into it

deadken posted:

im listening to the new(ish) swans album. its p cool imo, i like the bit at the end of the title track where it abruptly stars sounding like can if they took loads of valium

the seer is rly bad, the lyrics are waht happens when goths get old but dont grow up and what Swans fans think metal lyrics are like . gira is the second worst human being ever after Mike Patton and now he is doing post-rock which is like the second worst genre ever after shoegaze. stop being critically acclaimed

piss-poor crescendocore mixed with classic dad rawk moves and faux-tortured histrionic bullshit by a guy who sounds like he needs a good fuck. like every goddamn Swans album ever

& burial is really good and consistent. ppl like to pretend to be snobbish for hyperdub but thats a position about as dated as dismissing non-idiomatic/non-song music as unapproachable like iwc doews

Edited by prohairesis ()

i used to be in the crescendocore scene but it peaked too early

prohairesis posted:

dismissing non-idiomatic/non-song music as unapproachable like iwc doews

idiomatic? you mean idiotic?

prohairesis posted:

deadken posted:

& burial is really good and consistent. ppl like to pretend to be snobbish for hyperdub but thats a position about as dated as dismissing non-idiomatic/non-song music as unapproachable like iwc doews

I didn’t dismiss it, I don’t like peas either but it’s still valid food. Neither is it "unapproachable", i get it, it's not like it takes some fearsome intelligence to listen to minimalist electronica lol

I just can’t get into it

deadken posted:

saem.

deadken posted:

I want to like it and it does achieve a “sense of urban alienation” etc etc (and whoever put this video on this track is kewl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDXuou-6dvg all video clips should be the front of trains) but it’s still just a soundscape and not a ‘song’, I can’t get into it

you're not suppose to

please write a story about this guy getting blown to Jahannam by a roadside IED

I suppose for some reason I think music has some inherently communal nature about it, so stuff like Burial just seems kinda…I dunno, self-absorbed?

jeffery posted:

deadken posted:

saem.

deadken posted:

you're not suppose to

what's this mean

prohairesis posted:

deadken posted:

the seer is rly bad, the lyrics are waht happens when goths get old but dont grow up and what Swans fans think metal lyrics are like . gira is the second worst human being ever after Mike Patton and now he is doing post-rock which is like the second worst genre ever after shoegaze. stop being critically acclaimed

piss-poor crescendocore mixed with classic dad rawk moves and faux-tortured histrionic bullshit by a guy who sounds like he needs a good fuck. like every goddamn Swans album ever

yeah but have you considered this: actually its kinda good

i dont know what metal lyrics are like because i dont listen to metal but if theyre like in the seer i guess its kinda unobtrusive yelping, content irrelevant? sounds Ok

If people want interesting settings they’ll read an atlas.

wouldn't expect you of all people to promote top-down aesthetics the face of the clear choice of the yolk

jeffery posted:
deadken posted:

saem.

deadken posted:

you're not suppose to

what's this mean

besides being very talented and innovative musically, burial captures the dead-undead millennial dread™ unlike anyone else with similar popularity. burial's music is communal in that it is a direct reflection of this dead-undead millennial dread™. in other words its a communal experience of late capitalist alienation.

thirdplace posted:

If people want interesting settings they’ll read an atlas.
wouldn't expect you of all people to promote top-down aesthetics the face of the clear choice of the yolk

What?! Where’s the “top-down aesthetics”? The focus people in stories arises straight from folk stories the world over

jeffery posted:

jeffery posted:
deadken posted:

saem.

deadken posted:

you're not suppose to

what's this mean

besides being very talented and innovative musically, burial captures the dead-undead millennial dread™ unlike anyone else with similar popularity.

You mean except say, Green Day did it on a massively larger scale already? doesn’t mean I’m gonna listen to American Idiot.

jeffery posted:
jeffery posted:
deadken posted:

saem.

deadken posted:

you're not suppose to

what's this mean

besides being very talented and innovative musically, burial captures the dead-undead millennial dread™ unlike anyone else with similar popularity.

You mean except say, Green Day did it on a massively larger scale already? doesn’t mean I’m gonna listen to American Idiot.

deadken set your next story in peoples korea

[account deactivated]
im going to africa this year and will set a story there. it will feature a fearless white adventuring aid worker and his new loyal black friend who constantly assures him that he's 'one of the good ones'

jeffery posted:

jeffery posted:
jeffery posted:
deadken posted:

saem.

deadken posted:

you're not suppose to

what's this mean

That’s cool and all but it seems like a fair point.

Music is one of those things where popularity really does reflect the value of art. The more people in the world who like a song, the more good-feelings and enjoyment is being created and experienced.

It strikes me as a lot easier to sit and fiddle with knobs and make arcane glitches and whirs than it is to write something like ‘Complicated’ or “Higher” which can be instantly related to by huge swathes of the population. It truly is mass art and I think that Marxists of all people should respect that.

deadken posted:

im going to africa this year and will set a story there. it will feature a fearless white adventuring aid worker and his new loyal black friend who constantly assures him that he's 'one of the good ones'

Tell your hipster associates you’re going there for “organic coltan, not the processed crap you have in your smartphones”

Music is one of those things where popularity really does reflect the value of art.

lmao.

i agree with the rest of your overall point but you're neglecting the highly restrictive and controlled capitalist commodity production system in ur analysis

[account deactivated]

jeffery posted:

Music is one of those things where popularity really does reflect the value of art.

lmao.

i agree with the rest of your overall point but you're neglecting the highly restrictive and controlled capitalist commodity production system in ur analysis

As opposed to what? What system of producing and distributing art is more meritorious?

[account deactivated]
i know i'm new here, so i hope im not steppin on anyones toes, but can we make this iwc's av?

Lol how do you “win” an internet argument

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

who the fuck is j.d. ballard

he's the guy who gets your money right now by selling your structured settlement or annuity for cash