lol if u think i dont take any opportunity whatsoever to post william gaddis quotes. just lol at ur dumb face
w/e i dont read books

deadken was probated until (Oct. 7, 2011 09:19:25) for this post!

end this reign of terror now
ya fair enough

dont abuse monitor powers please. thanks she-"admin"
[account deactivated]
im literally an idiot. WHATS THIS BUTAN DO

deadken posted:
- an account of a performance by a rhizomatic orchestra

isn't this jazz

deadken posted:
im literally an idiot. WHATS THIS BUTAN DO

lol

deadken posted:
impper are all ur protagonists called john tho.

yeaahh hmmm and even his real name is john!! its almost as if hes so vain he can only write if its about himself hrrrmmmmhhh

any half-decent writer only writes about themselves though.
i didnt say it was a bad/wrong thing
fiction is a fiction so i dispensed with the charades, even when i'm outright lying

germanjoey posted:
any half-decent writer only writes about themselves though.

i'm a fully decent writer. all my novels are about how much fun church can be.

my machine story got workshopped and people compared it to ray bradbury and george orwell.... as a compliment........

Impper posted:
fiction is a fiction so i dispensed with the charades, even when i'm outright lying

I can't write fiction for this reason. Although I love fiction, I feel it's sort of demeaning of myself to create it. More honorable to address my points directly.

deadken posted:
my machine story got workshopped and people compared it to ray bradbury and george orwell.... as a compliment........

aheahahheahahehaehaheahehaheahheuaheuheauhauehau

lungfish posted:
Impper posted:

I can't write fiction for this reason. Although I love fiction, I feel it's sort of demeaning of myself to create it. More honorable to address my points directly.

All art is autobiographical. The pearl is the oyster's autobiography. Even if I set out to make a film about a fillet of sole, it would be about me. The artist is the medium between his fantasies and the rest of the world.

ken, if you get around to it, check out people's bookcases. almost everyone i know, even very well educated people, their fiction will be entire american and about as exotic as it gets is the brits or an occasional ancient frenchman or somebody like murakami who may as well be a brit. it's really sad. oh and if its not "literature" its like crazy true crime bullshit
most people here have like, five books

Impper posted:

to be fair one dude was all 'looks like you been readin some kafka' but then i literally mentioned kafka in the text

most people confuse me and seem irrelevant
i could only bring like 50 books over here and its like two shelves of Marxwords & French & German Theory and a couple of fiction books here and there

deadken posted:
Impper posted:

to be fair one dude was all 'looks like you been readin some kafka' but then i literally mentioned kafka in the text

lol yea... nor was the piece very "kafkaesque." fuck i cant stand criticism

deadken posted:

i dont know much about LA but are there any parts of town that are filled with like, mid twenties and early 30s nihilist types.. because that is like literally everybody near my place, and most of them have a good amount of books

i have a weird relationship with my books. i once organized them as theory, then "great fiction" "worthwhile fiction" and "subpar fiction" but now it's just chaos again
[account deactivated]
ew lonely planet guide. ew pynchon. kool sun and steel
someone asked me to send my book to them and i read the first few pages again and goddamn ive read it so many times i cant stand it anymore
i don't even care anymore if everything i write ends up reading like a combo of dfw and pynchon, i'll still hate them to the end of my days and i'll still maintain i 0wn them
[account deactivated]
i ruthlessly shred all evidence of my past life and history
[account deactivated]
ew kindle. ewwww

Impper posted:

deadken posted:

i dont know much about LA but are there any parts of town that are filled with like, mid twenties and early 30s nihilist types.. because that is like literally everybody near my place, and most of them have a good amount of books

probably this city is fucking huge and ive hardly seen any of it. westwood is mostly filled with super earnest college students drinking bud lite.... apparently east la is where the artsy book readin and drug takin dudes hang out

Impper posted:

i think the instructor 'got' that the machine wasnt the villain b/c she said it was 'somewhat cynical about the act of writing' but everyone else was all 'its all about the machine stealing peoples humanity right? right?'

my concept of la is thecobrasnake.com/partyphotos.html
[account deactivated]

deadken posted:

Impper posted:

deadken posted:

probably this city is fucking huge and ive hardly seen any of it. westwood is mostly filled with super earnest college students drinking bud lite.... apparently east la is where the artsy book readin and drug takin dudes hang out

in this case i suggest you go to east LA. i complain a lot about chicago but sometimes it owns....

deadken posted:

Impper posted:

i think the instructor 'got' that the machine wasnt the villain b/c she said it was 'somewhat cynical about the act of writing' but everyone else was all 'its all about the machine stealing peoples humanity right? right?'

personally i thought the story was the struggle between the cynicism that the machine represented and the position of both the narrator and you, the writer, to think there's something more to it, some soul or essence or humanity that might exist but which is becoming increasingly unmeasurable and even unobservable.. the machine is very transparently a device to confront this very struggle.

well i dont know if you like that reading but that's how i think of my own writing so i'll just apply it to everything

animedad posted:
my concept of la is thecobrasnake.com/partyphotos.html

la must be pretty straight edge