also i dont know anything about la really so if you get shot or something and you followed my advice you only have yourself to blame
impper what's the nihilest area of chicago. i need to move next yr
depends on what youre looking for i guess. get a hovel in pilsen or logan square and hang out w. cuban hipsters
im looking to get my mid-20s party on & make more friends since im pretty bored in my stroller neighborhood

yeah pilsen seems cool but i dont know much about it. logan square and eastern humboldt park are happening

sorry to derail, im done
logan square is like one step beyond pilsen so if your a real nigga you go pilsen if your weak you do LS if your a fucknigga you do wicker park
i hope everyone found authenticity itt
[account deactivated]
you talkin ta me?

Impper posted:
ken, if you get around to it, check out people's bookcases. almost everyone i know, even very well educated people, their fiction will be entire american and about as exotic as it gets is the brits or an occasional ancient frenchman or somebody like murakami who may as well be a brit. it's really sad. oh and if its not "literature" its like crazy true crime bullshit

american literature is the best

if by best you mean worst then i agree. actually i don't agree or disagree with that but i'm with kundera when he says that we should think about literature as "weltliteratur" i.e. world literature. theres no reason to uphold american literature imo, and also imo i hate american literature so i hope theres a world literature and then the few kool amerikans can take their place in that instead of america
[account deactivated]
pynchon is kewl, like obviously hes not celine or joyce or broch or hesse but thats Ok
you guys way overrate celine
speakin of which did anyone else get a whole bunch of deleuze spasms towards the end of steppenwolf. like the whole thing about the multiplicity of self and the multifoliate potentialities of desire and so on. like obviously both deleuze and hesse borrow heavily from nietzsche but daaamn the overlap is bare pronounced and ting, innit

babyfinland posted:

celine owns

yeah i loved the hell out of the end of steppenwolf. btw if you like deleuze's writing, you should definitely check out henri michaux, as deleuze copies his style heavily. except he's a better writer ahhe

also its really not possible to overrate celine. each of his book sis better than the last~

deadken posted:

babyfinland posted:

celine owns

well sure but hes sort of just a dude among dudes imo

babyfinland posted:

deadken posted:

babyfinland posted:

celine owns

ahaha fuck no, a dude among dudes? nobody even comes close to celines style. fuck outta here b

Impper posted:

babyfinland posted:

deadken posted:

babyfinland posted:

celine owns

ahaha fuck no, a dude among dudes? nobody even comes close to celines style. fuck outta here b

what the hell do you know, youve read like 10 books

counterpoint you like dfw
just throwin this out there osamu dazai owns
artaud outdoes celine stylistically
celine was a pioneer yo
reading books is awful, nobody should do it

deadken posted:
celine was a pioneer yo

no doubt. hes great and i have tons of respect for him and i love his work, i just get fanboy vibes from yall goons about him and it belies either inauthenticity or just plain ignorance of similar writers

o ya btw the only book i have here besides my school books is quran (and kindle)
i have a big artaud tome and i go through it sometimes and dont really like it, i mean it's good, but it doesn't convert me into a fanboy as celine's prose does. i don't think celine is a great storyteller but in his case it doesnt matter imho
throw your kindle in the trash can
agreed
I'm taking a creative writing class.

Skylark posted:
I'm taking a creative writing class.

how is it

Impper posted:
just throwin this out there osamu dazai owns

i didn't think all that much of no longer human, although i read it in a single sitting while sleep-deprived so i probably need to give it another shot.

really? i liked it a lot, not because i identified really strongly with it, but because i only marginally identified with the narrator, that is i'd always had the beginnings of those feelings, or inklings of them, and could have seen myself going down his path if i had only been a little worse, or if i had only been a little more uncaring

babyfinland posted:
These passages are from my forthcoming novel

snip

KREON: The people, hemmed in by liberal playgrounds
and rightwing communication systems, are dead
or dying. No one’s complaining, mind you, but with the inauguration just hours away the sky seems to be crumbling, and the decibel level in some stadiums is below that of Mallarmé’s tomb.
God thought you should know.

remove kindle from premises. you will get caught
The terrorists hate us for our kindles
how else am i gonna read my zizek and badiou ebooks
if you don't read a kindle you have already spiritually read zizek
i think because of the fact that it came up here i will finally read steppenwolf. it is mentioned in the strangest corners of my life, consistently, as absolutely required reading

i don't know the first thing about it, which is a nice change. time to hop in
i read steppenwolf when i was much younger and... i thought it was... decent, if not subpar, a littl eboring...

then i became 25 years old, working for years in a dreary office, becoming shyer, losing my confidence, revelling in books & alcoholism and weird things like cultural production and so on, and the book hit me like a freight train and never stopped beating my ass. funny how books can do that heheh...