doctor i have cancers and also migraines. Welp you are Sick *stamps folder with big red "ILLZ" stamp*

gyrofry posted:

I know a little bit - I have a cousin who transitioned MTF as an adult (over 30).

I think it's a non-sequitur to suggest that weirdos are primarily rationally-motivated

it's not about "rationality". it's that if this were a fashion statement, or a fetish like being a furry, i'm really skeptical that someone would take hormones for years upon years, go through painful operations, complete rigorous voice training and deal with all the social stigma and ostracism that goes with being transgender. and if they did, they're as "legitimately" trans as anyone else as far as i'm concerned, partially because i think the biological essentialism that underlies that supposed legitimacy is rather dubious.

daddyholes posted:

being anti-trans is a good way to end up wondering why people avoid you

saying that you know you're a woman because you wanted to play with girl's toys or that brain sex is real is a good way to end up wondering why people avoid you too.

daddyholes posted:

babyfinland posted:

sick people should probably get treated for their root problems rather than placing false hopes on sex changes since a lot of those people remain sick and end up killing themselves

that isnt how comorbidity works

im not a crazy person so i dont know about doctor stuff, please excuse

SariBari posted:

daddyholes posted:

being anti-trans is a good way to end up wondering why people avoid you

saying that you know you're a woman because you wanted to play with girl's toys or that brain sex is real is a good way to end up wondering why people avoid you too.

agreed

babyfinland posted:

daddyholes posted:

babyfinland posted:

sick people should probably get treated for their root problems rather than placing false hopes on sex changes since a lot of those people remain sick and end up killing themselves

if you never want to learn about comorbidity i hope you plan on committing suicide soon for your sake

cars posted:

babyfinland posted:

cars posted:

babyfinland posted:

if you never want to learn about comorbidity i hope you plan on committing suicide soon for your sake

Lessons posted:

it's not about "rationality". it's that if this were a fashion statement, or a fetish like being a furry, i'm really skeptical that someone would take hormones for years upon years, go through painful operations, complete rigorous voice training and deal with all the social stigma and ostracism that goes with being transgender. and if they did, they're as "legitimately" trans as anyone else as far as i'm concerned,

What is the difference between this and, say, indulging a heroin addict's drug-seeking behavior, e.g. seeking elective surgery as a way to get the next sweet, sweet fentanyl fix?

Lessons posted:

i have to admit it's pretty cool that goatstein is actively demonstrating itt that he's more judgmental, bigoted and regressive than the members of the military he loathes more than anyone else

i'm sure people who were opposed to lobotomies in the 50s were considered judgmental and regressive too

babyfinland posted:

cars posted:

babyfinland posted:

cars posted:

babyfinland posted:

then expect to learn allllll about it

roseweird posted:

so how exactly do you propose treating such people, prescribe a gym membership and several minutes of screaming "FAGGOT FAGGOT FAGGOT FAGGOT"?

medication and therapy, same with any other serious mental illness.

fwiw dwayne has probably gotten a series of the best crash courses in the world on comorbidity in disease

Goethestein posted:

roseweird posted:

so how exactly do you propose treating such people, prescribe a gym membership and several minutes of screaming "FAGGOT FAGGOT FAGGOT FAGGOT"?

medication and therapy, same with any other serious mental illness.

wow, everyone agrees close thread

Lessons posted:

gyrofry posted:

do you really think its unimportant to understand the physical and/or social basis for a phenomenon with such negative ramifications

i would say it's really useless to try and root out "fakers" for no particular reason. do you know anything about the process of transition? it's extremely difficult, especially for adults, not to mention expensive. how many people do you really think are going through all that because they're "weirdos"?

a cure-all for all emotional problems and the rebirth as a new person? yeah i think many people would find that appealing even at the cost of money or social connections, cf. scientology, all evangelicals

the rock is probably one of the most charismatic people on the planet

Goethestein posted:

Lessons posted:

gyrofry posted:

do you really think its unimportant to understand the physical and/or social basis for a phenomenon with such negative ramifications

i would say it's really useless to try and root out "fakers" for no particular reason. do you know anything about the process of transition? it's extremely difficult, especially for adults, not to mention expensive. how many people do you really think are going through all that because they're "weirdos"?

a cure-all for all emotional problems and the rebirth as a new person? yeah i think many people would find that appealing even at the cost of money or social connections, cf. scientology, all evangelicals

so you're for lobotomies?

id rather have a bottle in front of me!

wasted posted:

the rock is probably one of the most charismatic people on the planet

that movie is so good

tom im pretty sure he means dwayne "the rock" johnson
winners go home and fuck the prom queen
- j. sakai

Goethestein posted:

appealing even at the cost of money or social connections, cf. scientology, all evangelicals

those are reasons that people become scientologists and evangelicals

thats what i said

Goethestein posted:

tom im pretty sure he means dwayne "the rock" johnson

he starred in southland tales, which is what the clip i posted is from

i support gortslime
he was there form the beginning and he will be there at the end. gloospline is the stochastic balance in our equation of garbage
[account deactivated]
that was directed at thuggee lassos
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:

actually the solution is to smash capitalism and capitalist gender roles thanks for coming down everyone, have a good night

can we do it like at a jewish wedding with the tablecloth and stuff thats a pretty cool thing they do

[account deactivated]

gyrofry posted:

What is the difference between this and, say, indulging a heroin addict's drug-seeking behavior, e.g. seeking elective surgery as a way to get the next sweet, sweet fentanyl fix?

how do we know they're really a heroin addict though and not just exactly mimicking the behavior of a heroin addict for attention?

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Lessons posted:

gyrofry posted:

how do we know they're really a heroin addict though and not just exactly mimicking the behavior of a heroin addict for attention?

your parsing of the analogy is off. the point is to carefully distinguish between those whose illness actually will benefit from a type of treatment and those who necessitate a different type of treatment.

[account deactivated]
no that's exactly the point lmao.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]