roseweird you do realize i was agreeing with you in my own ignorant way right
[account deactivated]

Lessons posted:

no that's exactly the point lmao.

patient A: acute kidney failure verified by multiple diagnostic procedures
option: remove kidney. prescribe post-op opiates and lifelong dialysis. on balance, although patients with condition are more likely to die prematurely after discharged from hospital, this is the least worst option.

patient B: heroin addict describes pain in kidney area.
options:
- remove kidney. prescribe post-op opiates and lifelong dialysis.
- counseling and methadone

gyrofry posted:

patient B: recovering addict describes pain in kidney area.
options:
- remove kidney. prescribe post-op opiates and lifelong dialysis.
- counseling and methadone

but how do we know they're really a recovering addict though? they could just be faking it. are you really going to proscribe methadone to a potential non-addict who might really just be a weirdo and who really needs treatment for being weird and possibly furry??

lol, that is a good analogy though, because of course, it's actually important to determine that rather than hand out methadone like candy.
[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

what the hell are you two talking about

trans fakers who are just doing it for the attention

please insert into OP

roseweird posted:

basically, in my experience ftm's are much better adjusted mentally than most mtfs. i think a lot of this has to do with the permanence of male pubertal changes and the inability of transition to really do anything about any of these changes.

are you sure its not due to the socializing, rationalizing effects of therapeutic testosterone vs. estrogen injections?

[account deactivated]

Lessons posted:

roseweird posted:

i think it's far more likely they are doing it for the radical inclusivity since the trans community is incredibly tolerant even of totally dysfunctional weirdos

iFederico posted:

Lessons posted:
roseweird posted:

i think it's far more likely they are doing it for the radical inclusivity since the trans community is incredibly tolerant even of totally dysfunctional weirdos

i think thats a really marginal problem, along the lines of people who get themselves addicted to heroin b/c only heroin addicts will tolerate them. and that it will basically resolve itself since it's a shitload of effort and theyll just give up. but it's really not worth talking about anymore.

ok, i see the problem here

you (Thuggee Lesbians) is looking at that particular argument as being about "someone trying to game the system" for some perceived gain

whereas whoever youre arguing with (multiple people im too lazy to scroll back up to remember) is looking at it from the standpoint of "mentally ill people generally arent very good at diagnosing or treating their own illnesses and if allowed to do so may end up doing more harm to themselves than good". hope that helps

chaerse
the cool thing is that the idea of expert psychiatrists diagnosing mental illness on the basis of acute perception and scientific tests is almost entirely a myth. the vast majority of outpatient psychiatric diagnoses are the result of either clients coming into an office, complaining of depression/anxiety/whatever and getting the diagnosis they want, or from the results of short psychometric surveys like the Beck Depression Inventory, (essentially, glorified self-report). self-report is also the gold standard in research psychology because it's actually the most objective metric we have. we can't directly observe people's minds so the determinations of clinicians are essentially subjective opinions, (if ones more informed than those of the average layman), and there aren't any physiological tests for mental illness that are widely accepted. and at a more basic level there's no small amount of controversy within the psychiatric and psychological community as to what exactly mental illness is, which you see in things like the BPS rejecting the DSM-5 and so on, but tends to run more deeply even within the US as you have different practitioners working from different perspectives with differing conceptions of the constitution and cause of mental illness.

so basically I totally reject that assessment, we cant really rely on the experts here because a) cognitive science isn't really as advanced as the popular conception implies and b) different professionals don't actually agree especially on particularly controversial issues like this. we'd almost always be better-off with client-directed therapy and to some extent that's what we already have, at least in outpatient care like i said earlier, except for some rare circumstances like gender identity where people are forced to jump through ridiculous and humiliating hoops to prove they aren't just fakey fake fakers to people like gyrofry.

roseweird posted:

Goethestein posted:

roseweird posted:

so how exactly do you propose treating such people, prescribe a gym membership and several minutes of screaming "FAGGOT FAGGOT FAGGOT FAGGOT"?

medication and therapy, same with any other serious mental illness.

lol what fucking 'medication' are you proposing goshfkeen, and why can't you regard hormones as medication

antidepressants and antipsychotics. hormones aren't medication because they just make the problem worse

Goethestein posted:

roseweird posted:

Goethestein posted:

roseweird posted:

so how exactly do you propose treating such people, prescribe a gym membership and several minutes of screaming "FAGGOT FAGGOT FAGGOT FAGGOT"?

medication and therapy, same with any other serious mental illness.

lol what fucking 'medication' are you proposing goshfkeen, and why can't you regard hormones as medication

antidepressants and antipsychotics. hormones aren't medication because they just make the problem worse

i will shit down your fucking throat

roseweird posted:

"medication and therapy" is already the solution that you disapprove of, you don't even know what you are saying, just come out and say what you want to happen, what do you believe is the end result, a healthy trans person, miraculously cured by "medication and therapy"?

the end result is a person with a serious incurable mental disorder being treated for such without the rest of society being required to dignify as legitimate their absurd self-destructive delusions

reminder that one of the (insidiously antifeminist) arguments as to the existence of transgenderism as a real thing is that men and women have "different brains" and the transgendered person under MRI has a brain we have declared to be more similar to that of their desired gender. how this fits in with genderqueers or more importantly how it is any different from a mental illness with a physiological basis has always escaped me, but let's ignore that just to point out that a simple MRI scan would be sufficient to separate the "fakers" from the seriously ill. i've never heard anyone advocate this, in fact quite the contrary, it is clear that running objective tests to determine whether or not someone actually has an illness before giving treatment is extremely bigoted
Fascinating.
is it fascinating? or does it just appear to be fascinating? who can know what is real here in this postmodern fog in which we dwell :frog: :pipe:
it is an interesting tack to take thugster. you seem to suggest that self-diagnosis should always be respected and society has no interest in attempting to protect individuals from the potentially harmful consequences of their actions -- a rather libertarian viewpoint. would you say the same about hypochondriacs with respect to any medical condition? full-scale drug legalization? what about legalization of prostitution? or extreme BDSM (e.g. world of gor-esque voluntary sexual slavery)?

if your answer is different for how the judgment of professed transfolk ought be evaluated relative to the other scenarios in which individual judgment is subordinated to socially-regulated processes, why is that so?

Edited by gyrofry ()

i'm not going to argue with you anymore because you're not actually responding to the content of what i'm saying, just drawing deceptive and offensive analogies between trans people and drug addicts, hypochondriacs and prostitutes
if we're going to let trans people transition are we also going to to let murderers murder and rapists rape? is that what your saying, "thug lessons", if that is your real name?
fine then -- bippy, dongs and I will be continuing the discussion on IRC
[account deactivated]
abortion ninja makes an interesting point here
indeed if all sex is rape under patriarchy, how can the same not be said of SRS

Lessons posted:

the cool thing is that the idea of expert psychiatrists diagnosing mental illness on the basis of acute perception and scientific tests is almost entirely a myth. the vast majority of outpatient psychiatric diagnoses are the result of either clients coming into an office, complaining of depression/anxiety/whatever and getting the diagnosis they want, or from the results of short psychometric surveys like the Beck Depression Inventory, (essentially, glorified self-report). self-report is also the gold standard in research psychology because it's actually the most objective metric we have. we can't directly observe people's minds so the determinations of clinicians are essentially subjective opinions, (if ones more informed than those of the average layman), and there aren't any physiological tests for mental illness that are widely accepted. and at a more basic level there's no small amount of controversy within the psychiatric and psychological community as to what exactly mental illness is, which you see in things like the BPS rejecting the DSM-5 and so on, but tends to run more deeply even within the US as you have different practitioners working from different perspectives with differing conceptions of the constitution and cause of mental illness.

so basically I totally reject that assessment, we cant really rely on the experts here because a) cognitive science isn't really as advanced as the popular conception implies and b) different professionals don't actually agree especially on particularly controversial issues like this. we'd almost always be better-off with client-directed therapy and to some extent that's what we already have, at least in outpatient care like i said earlier, except for some rare circumstances like gender identity where people are forced to jump through ridiculous and humiliating hoops to prove they aren't just fakey fake fakers to people like gyrofry.

yes, i, too, am a self-diagnosed aspergers/ADD/dragonkin

but seriously, if its that difficult for people who have spent years being trained to recognize the symptoms of mental illness, think of how much harder it is for a confused internet teen who sits in the tumblrbox all day. im not saying that self-reporting is useless (how would doctors even know where to begin looking otherwise), but acting like standardized and objective criteria arent helpful for making diagnoses seems like some Scientologist "all psychiatry is a lie" bullshit

like you know those people who dont feel "complete" unless they saw off a limb or two or three? would you allow them to entirely self-diagnose/self-treat?

Superabound posted:

but seriously, if its that difficult for people who have spent years being trained to recognize the symptoms of mental illness, think of how much harder it is for a confused internet teen who sits in the tumblrbox all day. im not saying that self-reporting is useless (how would doctors even know where to begin looking otherwise), but acting like standardized and objective criteria arent helpful for making diagnoses seems like some Scientologist "all psychiatry is a lie" bullshit

here's the wacky crypto-scientologists at the British Psychological Society saying nearly the same thing.

The Society is concerned that clients and the general public are negatively affected by the continued and continuous medicalisation of their natural and normal responses to their experiences; responses which undoubtedly have distressing consequences which demand helping responses, but which do not reflect illnesses so much as normal individual variation.

The putative diagnoses presented in DSM-V are clearly based largely on social norms, with 'symptoms' that all rely on subjective judgements, with little confirmatory physical 'signs' or evidence of biological causation. The criteria are not value-free, but rather reflect current normative social expectations. Many researchers have pointed out that psychiatric diagnoses are plagued by problems of reliability, validity, prognostic value, and co-morbidity.

Diagnostic systems such as these therefore fall short of the criteria for legitimate medical diagnoses. They certainly identify troubling or troubled people, but do not meet the criteria for categorisation demanded for a field of science or medicine (with a very few exceptions such as dementia.) We are also concerned that systems such as this are based on identifying problems as located within individuals. This misses the relational context of problems and the undeniable social causation of many such problems. For psychologists, our wellbeing and mental health stem from our frameworks of understanding of the world, frameworks which are themselves the product of the experiences and learning through our lives.

The Society recommends a revision of the way mental distress is thought about, starting with recognition of the overwhelming evidence that it is on a spectrum with 'normal' experience, and that psychosocial factors such as poverty, unemployment and trauma are the most strongly-evidenced causal factors. Rather than applying preordained diagnostic categories to clinical populations, we believe that any classification system should begin from the bottom up – starting with specific experiences, problems or ‘symptoms’ or ‘complaints’.

this isn't scientology or even RD Liang, it's mainstream psychology

tank formations are also a social norm
- dr. dogballs

Lessons posted:

Superabound posted:

here's the wacky crypto-scientologists at the British Psychological Society saying nearly the same thing.

The Society is concerned that clients and the general public are negatively affected by the continued and continuous medicalisation of their natural and normal responses to their experiences; responses which undoubtedly have distressing consequences which demand helping responses, but which do not reflect illnesses so much as normal individual variation.

The putative diagnoses presented in DSM-V are clearly based largely on social norms, with 'symptoms' that all rely on subjective judgements, with little confirmatory physical 'signs' or evidence of biological causation. The criteria are not value-free, but rather reflect current normative social expectations. Many researchers have pointed out that psychiatric diagnoses are plagued by problems of reliability, validity, prognostic value, and co-morbidity.

Diagnostic systems such as these therefore fall short of the criteria for legitimate medical diagnoses. They certainly identify troubling or troubled people, but do not meet the criteria for categorisation demanded for a field of science or medicine (with a very few exceptions such as dementia.) We are also concerned that systems such as this are based on identifying problems as located within individuals. This misses the relational context of problems and the undeniable social causation of many such problems. For psychologists, our wellbeing and mental health stem from our frameworks of understanding of the world, frameworks which are themselves the product of the experiences and learning through our lives.

The Society recommends a revision of the way mental distress is thought about, starting with recognition of the overwhelming evidence that it is on a spectrum with 'normal' experience, and that psychosocial factors such as poverty, unemployment and trauma are the most strongly-evidenced causal factors. Rather than applying preordained diagnostic categories to clinical populations, we believe that any classification system should begin from the bottom up – starting with specific experiences, problems or ‘symptoms’ or ‘complaints’.

this isn't scientology or even RD Liang, it's mainstream psychology

fyi, literally everything in that post is an argument against overdiagnosing (which is greatly exacerbated by the self-diagnosis of "identity culture inclusive" disorders) and on-demand drug/hormone therapy. youre undermining your own argument

Superabound posted:

fyi, literally everything in that post is an argument against overdiagnosing (which is greatly exacerbated by the self-diagnosis of "identity culture inclusive" disorders) and on-demand drug/hormone therapy. youre undermining your own argument

okay. first i want to point out this is a completely different argument than the one you were making earlier. before you were talking about "standardized and objective criteria" for psychiatric diagnosis, and i pointed out that there aren't any standardized and objective criteria that pass scientific rigor, and you switched to this. on the on hand i hate d&d pedants with "moving the goalposts" and so on but this makes me suspicious that you're going to ignore everything i say and just come up with a new argument every time i knock down an old one, because you think you already have this all figured out.

but more to the point, i think you're completely misinterpreting that document. i'm going to link to the full text and post/emphasize some sections that are relevant here.

...responses which undoubtedly have distressing consequences which demand helping responses, but which do not reflect illnesses...

The Society recommends a revision of the way mental distress is thought about, starting with recognition of the overwhelming evidence that it is on a spectrum with 'normal' experience...

...diagnostic labels are less useful than a description of a person’s problems for predicting treatment response...

We therefore believe that alternatives to diagnostic frameworks exist, should be preferred, and should be developed with as much investment of resource and effort as has been expended on revising DSM-IV. The Society would be happy to help in such an exercise.

http://apps.bps.org.uk/_publicationfiles/consultation-responses/DSM-5%202011%20-%20BPS%20response.pdf

you're talking about "overdiagnosis". overdiagnosis is a media term that implies too many people are being prescribed anti-depressants, anti-anxiety drugs, adhd drugs, and so on, (probably true). that's not what this is about. the BPS is challenging the entire diagnostic model of "standardized and objective criteria" that you were talking about and instead advocating medical intervention based on a "description of a person’s problems", which they view as a more effective and scientifically valid approach to psychiatric care. there is no implication that too many people are receiving psychiatric treatment, much less that persons seeking clinical aid should be denied services if they fail to meet diagnostic criteria. rather, it's an objection to pathologization of what they view as "normal experience", burdening people with the stigma of mental illness for no good clinical or scientific reason. in other words, it's less in line with what you're saying than the common trans argument that being transgender is not a mental disorder at all and trans people should not be treated as mentally ill. i believe that's actually the position of the BPS, though i'm not sure.

of course, i could be wrong. here's a link to the BPS's standards on LGBT care. i know a little bit about transgender care in the UK so i doubt they recommend "on-demand hormone therapy" but i'm also quite sure they don't agree with you a gyrofry that psychiatrists should serve as gatekeepers to sort out "real" trans people from the fakey fakers who are just seeking treatment because they read a blog on tumblr. that's essentially a bigoted response that views trans people as inherently suspicious and possibly deranged, and even if the BPS are bigots i'd expect them to at least be smart enough to cloak that bigotry in less obvious terms. feel free to prove me wrong.

http://www.bps.org.uk/sites/default/files/images/rep_92.pdf

your 2nd to last sentence is the key, in which you just assume your conclusion -- referring to anyone as "trans" who self-diagnoses as "trans". the point at issue is precisely that the self-diagnosis may be incorrect.

gyrofry posted:

your 2nd to last sentence is the key, in which you just assume your conclusion -- referring to anyone as "trans" who self-diagnoses as "trans". the point at issue is precisely that the self-diagnosis may be incorrect.

who gives a shit?

if anyone's qualified to "diagnose" people as trans, it's guys on the internet who can't stop comparing them to drug addicts, prostitutes, hypochondriacs and people that want to chop their hands off for no reason, and also believe we should base social policy around "tumblr sucks". certainly like, way way more than trans people are.
it's unfortunate that you are willing to play so casually with the health and well-being of human beings

gyrofry posted:

it's unfortunate that you are willing to play so casually with the health and well-being of human beings

this is concern trolling

[account deactivated]
i myself am literally shakign