[account deactivated]
are unpaid internships more prevalent than graduate student positions? i dont have any sense of how large a cohort either is although ive seen a lot of handwringing about internships in the popular press over the last coupla yrs
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i know a guy who got hired by CIA to own noobs on the strength of his trolling and also recieved the macarthur genius grant for the same work
one thing i think is that children of the middle class/bourgeoisie who grow up believing that higher education is pretty much a guaranteed entry point into the elite administrator class have a really difficult time self-identifying as exploited or developing any kind of class consciousness and are therefore not, by and large, a tractable group for labour organisation. i remember talking to a brazilian postdoc at one point about an ongoing effort to get them organised and he was like 'when i think of unions i think of marx' or sth and that seemed to be sufficient reason for him to vote against the union drive, it was really weird
i know a guy who bummed through college and bummed around afterward and got a good paying job without ever interning also he was a bum all the while

Impper posted:
i know a guy who bummed through college and bummed around afterward and got a good paying job without ever interning also he was a bum all the while

thsi is my dream

thats me
ahaha i beat u to it
i was talkin about myself haha ^_^
i did too bc im handsome
this thread is very informative tho. i always wondered about internships but never bothered to do any research. still makes me wonder if there's such a thing as an apprenticeship thees days
[account deactivated]
The overwhelming majority of internships in Germany require you to have a student's visa or to be a student (university). So even though I have a work and residence permit here, I can't legally get the internship!

parabolart posted:
this thread is very informative tho. i always wondered about internships but never bothered to do any research. still makes me wonder if there's such a thing as an apprenticeship thees days

in the elementary particles, houellebecq goes over this at some length, linking the death of the apprentice system to the irrelevance and shame of old age we suffer these days - because there is no patriarchal transmission of knowledge, old people are of no use any more and become heavy sacks of decaying organs

[account deactivated]
they are a generation of greedy worthless sociopaths that don't know or understand shit is why -

i don't give a flying shit what any old timer who once owned a home or raised a family on one income has to say.

only a tiny percentage of the old fucks are free from their own illusory playground they made at the sacrifice of future generations. they really can't rot soon enough.

[account deactivated]
i asked my dad about it he said he didn't start the fire
none of them fucked it up, as if they had any control over their greed lol

discipline posted:
he must be talking about old men. old women get a lot of mileage out of showing new mothers how to do anything.

nah, they're too busy managing the intricacies of the old boys network

generations are a myth, there are decent groups of people and terrible ones in every age group.. DUH
actually we have apprenticeships in the uk. they're popular because the minimum wage laws are waived for them! Ha! Ha! Ha!
[account deactivated]
all of these labour practices are actually really effective ways to weed out people with consciences and spines and so on and just end up with the most compliant possible corporate apparatchiks who will do absolutely anything to maintain their employment contract

Impper posted:

parabolart posted:

in the elementary particles, houellebecq goes over this at some length, linking the death of the apprentice system to the irrelevance and shame of old age we suffer these days - because there is no patriarchal transmission of knowledge, old people are of no use any more and become heavy sacks of decaying organs

In law, old people are valuable and respected. The down fall of apprenticeships is really unfortunate and has resulted in countless years being wasted to create some truly incompetent lawyers. if not for internships/pupilages, fresh lawyers would probably still need to be toilet trained

shennong posted:
all of these labour practices are actually really effective ways to weed out people with consciences and spines and so on and just end up with the most compliant possible corporate apparatchiks who will do absolutely anything to maintain their employment contract

yeah like those absurd "honesty tests" they use in pretty much every corporate entry-level job, where the 'correct' answers are both obvious and inhuman

"i would report my closest friend to the authorities if I saw him eat a mcburger that had become too cold to serve and was going to get thrown away anyway." STRONGLY AGREE

parabolart posted:

The federal government does it in a huge way. They pay full salary and benefits while you're at it too. Of course it's mostly in the war criminal support industry but this is america so what isn't? If you search the federal jobs website for "trainee" or "apprentice" or "intern" or "SCEP" you get bunch. Of course the general public is competing at a disadvantage to veterans to get them because Service Guarantees Citizenship

VA: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/va-you/students/tcf-program.asp
DOJ: https://www.avuecentral.com/casting/aiportal/control/toVacancy?referenceCode=DTLKG

A few different agencies have a "Student Career Experience Program" which is a college internship path to a full federal appointment. Again, these are paid though. SCEP may also be restricted to college students as well, which leaves the unemployed out in the cold, but I don't know for certain.
EPA: http://www.epa.gov/compliance/about/employment/specialprograms/studentcareerexperience.html
Forest service: http://www.fs.fed.us/fsjobs/forestservice/scep.html

etc. etc just google SCEP and the agency or check the usajobs site

In theory trade unions also still do it but I don't know if that exists in practice anymore because of the dual factors of union busting replacing baseball as the american national pastime and the recent death of the construction industry making the former even easier.

thirdplace posted:
shennong posted:

yeah like those absurd "honesty tests" they use in pretty much every corporate entry-level job, where the 'correct' answers are both obvious and inhuman

"i would report my closest friend to the authorities if I saw him eat a mcburger that had become too cold to serve and was going to get thrown away anyway." STRONGLY AGREE

EVERYONE LIES ON THEIR RESUME, EH? WELL, I LIE FOR THE DEAD! ! ! !

those are pretty much the only thing that stopped me from working at places like macy's or other totally shit jobs, ive only ever made it through one or two of them and they were both for bookstores

[account deactivated]
Inorganic machines break down far quicker and leave a lot bigger mess than their organic counterparts.

NounsareVerbs posted:
Inorganic machines break down far quicker and leave a lot bigger mess than their organic counterparts.

otoh they are more modular can last far longer if designed properly and are provided regular maintenance. they have other benefits as well.

we are but a footnote in the glorious history of our bio-mechnical succesors

discipline posted:
shennong posted:

also it's a good way to ensure that only rich privileged kids can get into industries that require a relocation to new york, london, geneva, or D.C. for a 6 month stint of working for no pay

"what is an economy? a miserable little pile of secrets!" - gyrofry

The People! United! Will Never Be Defeated!

yeah, its like the old feudal system of noble patronage, you send your kid to live under a noble that ranks even higher than you, in order to maintain (upward) trajectory

[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
only I think the nobles covered meals and places to sleep back then hahaha

haha well they do it too now if they like ya! no guarantees tho this time, no honor among thieves... but lets do lunch!

patronage owned

bring back hierarchy and caste, me wanty

thirdplace posted:

shennong posted:

Are there any sources that describe when retailers started using these tests to filter out applicants, or how the whole system came about?

MadMedico posted:
Are there any sources that describe when retailers started using these tests to filter out applicants, or how the whole system came about?

yeah that part is super interesting

internships shminternships. oh wow, 3-6 months - so what! what about grad school? you're gonna be there for five years, in an even more blatant apprentice/master relationship!