deadken posted:
i like hipsters

ill give hipsters a 2nd chance: But its final!

I like bad strange boys. Gimme dat *makes grabby hands to passing sk8rdude on way to indie pop punk show* *radical, dude!*
http://radicalhub.com/2012/03/29/my-slogan-will-be-intersectional/
LOLapalooza the comments. grover blaming his wife's weight when the house sinks
queer theory (a sub-theory of post modernism)
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
transfood. my donut is a transsalad

discipline posted:

cut out the creepy internet detective work, golden lion tamarin is a good guy despite it all

discipline posted:

jools posted:
queer theory (a sub-theory of post modernism)

yes, and?

its not though lmao

[account deactivated]
its me

discipline posted:
what is queer theory

Butlerian Jihad

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Judith Butler is a paragon of todays postmodern theory and the worst academic writer in the world. But i repeat myself
shes not postmodern. poststructuralist, perhaps...

Goethestein posted:
Judith Butler is a paragon of todays postmodern theory and the worst academic writer in the world. But i repeat myself

be quiet, grownups are talking

i mean unless youre saying foucault was postmodernist...

Goethestein posted:
But i repeat myself

don't sign your posts

Poststructuralism:pedophilia:: postmodernism:ephebophilia
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:

jools posted:
shes not postmodern. poststructuralist, perhaps...

care to delineate that for me sensei

yeah postmodernism is everything bad, poststructuralism is everything salvageable. so baudrillard goes in one box, foucault goes in the other. its like splitting up.

one thing that's interesting is that thinkers thought of as poststructuralist (derrida, foucault, deleuze) are not really thought of as similar in france. like they have radically different systems of thought that aren't really commensurate. but american cultural theory started to group them together because they sort of received them at the same time and often used them together, considering them like. so like you can't really come up with a simple definition of poststructuralism that would please everyone.

zizek compares this to how someone did research on film noir and found that there is no simple definition of noir that encompasses all films that are generally known as noir, but people still can usually identify a noir film. but there is still a sense that there is such a thing as noir, just as there is such a thing as poststructuralism. but the beautiful thing is that zizek is showing that poststructuralism is basically defined in a poststructuralist way, which is pretty.
films noir have femmes fatales

getfiscal posted:
one thing that's interesting is that thinkers thought of as poststructuralist (derrida, foucault, deleuze) are not really thought of as similar in france. like they have radically different systems of thought that aren't really commensurate. but american cultural theory started to group them together because they sort of received them at the same time and often used them together, considering them like. so like you can't really come up with a simple definition of poststructuralism that would please everyone.

zizek compares this to how someone did research on film noir and found that there is no simple definition of noir that encompasses all films that are generally known as noir, but people still can usually identify a noir film. but there is still a sense that there is such a thing as noir, just as there is such a thing as poststructuralism. but the beautiful thing is that zizek is showing that poststructuralism is basically defined in a poststructuralist way, which is pretty.

thats cool

14 April 2012 A.D.

Tom makes an approving post about Zizek.
i had to write an essay about baudrillard a couple weeks ago and as far as i can tell his political/philosophical project is "welp we're fucked, capitalism rules everything around us and always will" so im pretty surprised he's not more popular here
who needs philosophy for that
i titled it "mr. baudrillard, we're not that fucked, yet." and the professor said the vulgarity distracted from my essay

aerdil posted:
i had to write an essay about baudrillard a couple weeks ago and as far as i can tell his political/philosophical project is "welp we're fucked, capitalism rules everything around us and always will" so im pretty surprised he's not more popular here

it's impossible for capitalism to reign as the dominant social-economic system forever due to global warming and resource scarcity

in america, i think it will revert back to a feudalistic system, where capitalism is gradually edged out, though, i don't think capitalism will ever completely be removed from the governing social-economic system

aerdil posted:
i titled it "mr. baudrillard, we're not that fucked, yet." and the professor said the vulgarity distracted from my essay

wwell thats probably a good thing then because we are that fucked and your thesis is inherently flawed/incorrect

i think predicting the future is a mug's game

getfiscal posted:
i think predicting the future is a mug's game

so are a lot of things but that doesn't sto ppeople from doing it and it makes it all the more fun when you are correct and you can gloat about it

[account deactivated]

capitalism finds a way
capitalism is quite adaptive; resource depletion just makes bad things more palatable

AmericanNazbro posted:

aerdil posted:

it's impossible for capitalism to reign as the dominant social-economic system forever due to global warming and resource scarcity

in america, i think it will revert back to a feudalistic system, where capitalism is gradually edged out, though, i don't think capitalism will ever completely be removed from the governing social-economic system

america has never been feudalistic, attempts by the french to transfer feudal political structures failed miserably