Yes first australian and first people is a term used by Australian and Canadian indigenous respectively on a fairly common basis. And not in the parlance of the Australian / Canadian police as in 'the first people we beat up then drive out and leave in the middle of desert / freezing snow'
i've never heard anyone say "first canadians" though, it's always just "first nations"
yeah i know that's why i said first people (or nations) was the respective term for canada...
"first people" also sounds really weird to me but i can't swear that ive never heard anyone use it
so who were the 2nd ppl

shennong posted:
"first people" also sounds really weird to me but i can't swear that ive never heard anyone use it

I have seen it a couple times but ya I'm p sure the main term is first nations.. that's obviously the more common one.

I actually feel like first people's is cooler because it doesn't retroactively apply some bullshit idea about 'nations' to the indigenous, though i could see the reasoning behind using 'nation' tactically to describe the n. american peoples before euro contact
it doesn't really make sense to call a group like the inuit "first people" tho because they aren't
We don't really use "first nations" here, generally it's indigenous or Aboriginal Australians.
If you want to know about what indigenous Australia is like though, just look at the first nations in Canada and change the background temperature from cold to hot and it's essentially the same.
so youre saying they all look the same to you
did the brits settle nomadic aboriginal groups when they arrived in australia or did that happen later

shennong posted:
did the brits settle nomadic aboriginal groups when they arrived in australia or did that happen later

I’m not super ofay with this: But originally they landed and traded with them, had some scuffles in the original colonies when the Brits were on the verge of starving due to being idiots (they forgot to account for the flipped seasons when planting crops lmao). When the settlers moved out into good agricultural lands they fought the Aborigines and drove them off the land. Eventually the indigenous population settled largely in regional towns or as workers on outback ranches.

shennong posted:
it doesn't really make sense to call a group like the inuit "first people" tho because they aren't

the innu are not considered first nations in canada i don't think, they are considered the innu, but both are aboriginal, so both are referred to as (collectively) "the first nations and the innu"

what about the metis
also the first nations considered themselves nations (in their own terms) a long time ago, like the Iroquois nation, for example
does it really make sense to talk about pre-european contact native americans as having constituted themselves into nations

Groulxsmith posted:
what about the metis

the metis consider themselves a nation

getfiscal posted:
also the first nations considered themselves nations (in their own terms) a long time ago, like the Iroquois nation, for example

my understanding is that this was in response to european nationhoods/white solidarity

babyfinland posted:
does it really make sense to talk about pre-european contact native americans as having constituted themselves into nations

Well wikipedia (i know i know) says for Australia:

The population was split into 250 individual nations, many of which were in alliance with one another, and within each nation there existed several clans, from as few as 5 or 6 to as many as 30 or 40 members. Each nation had its own language and a few had several.

I suppose you could call those groupings nations

babyfinland posted:
my understanding is that this was in response to european nationhoods/white solidarity

as with nationhood everywhere i guess?

getfiscal posted:

babyfinland posted:

as with nationhood everywhere i guess?

yeah

i had a professor that tried to argue that there were only 20,000 aboriginals in north america (like canada and northern US or whatever) at time of contact or something like that. he based it on potential caloric intake of bison populations or something.
Hahahaha.

But getfiscal: What’s your opinion on What Is To Be Done to improve the livelihoods of indigenous Canadians? What have people been doing in Canada, what works and what doesn’t?
condolences!!!!! !!!

getfiscal posted:

shennong posted:

the innu are not considered first nations in canada i don't think, they are considered the innu, but both are aboriginal, so both are referred to as (collectively) "the first nations and the innu"

you're right, i hadn't realised that the inuit are not considered "first ntaions"! its weird because the forced settlement of the inuit by the RCMP was basically 50 years ago

Ironicwarcriminal posted:
Hahahaha.

But getfiscal: What’s your opinion on What Is To Be Done to improve the livelihoods of indigenous Canadians? What have people been doing in Canada, what works and what doesn’t?

First off people haven't been doing much. For example, the conditions of native women are horrible to the point where like they make up maybe 1% of canada's population and 25% of all street sex workers. They go missing in the dozens and no one really follows up on it. A bare minimum thing to do is just partner with aboriginal women and be like okay how can we build basic security for people so they aren't murdered. Even like the Liberals have been calling for an inquiry on missing native women.

The obvious place to start otherwise is with services. Aboriginal communities don't have clean drinking water and they don't have adequate housing. Many don't have schools and a lot can't even hope to pass on their own language. The other day someone told me that like 90% of speakers of first nations languages are over 65 or something like that. The Liberals had built a small but important token towards poverty relief in the form of the Kelowna Accord, which would have committed about $1 billion a year over 5 years, but the Conservatives tore it up when they got into power. Obviously large new funds need to be put into basic living conditions.

Then there needs to be an economy that can welcome people into full-time, family-supporting jobs. If people see an economy that largely excludes them then they will be stuck at the periphery. Most people want to work if they can find it. Large numbers of aboriginal people have severe abuse histories and come from families with multigenerational abuse and unemployment, so there needs to be an enormous investment in building the right conditions for change. That includes building up self-governing institutions and land transfer and so on, too.

Another issue is just either stopping private resource extraction on first nations communities or, at bare minimum, making them the primary beneficiaries of resource extraction, which is presently just tending to make them sick and displaced.

i should add that i know very little about aboriginal history or issues and i think i need to work on that but yeah

When the settlers moved out into good agricultural lands they fought the Aborigines and drove them off the land.

were the aboriginals engaged in agriculture on that land or was it mostly pasture etc

shennong posted:

When the settlers moved out into good agricultural lands they fought the Aborigines and drove them off the land.

were the aboriginals engaged in agriculture on that land or was it mostly pasture etc

No agriculture or pastures (i don't think), they were hunter gatherers.

the guuguu ymidirrh of northern Queensland were into fish farming iirc

babyfinland posted:

Well you know i'm more than willing to acknowledge Australia's racism but the accusations are a bit overstretched sometimes.

For example, i've been doing this little hypothetical with friends: There's a big crisis on North America or Asia and Australia has to accept over the course of the year a mass influx of:

a) 3 million Chinese
b) 3 million Americans

I've been conducting a straw poll with friends and family and 90% of them would choose the Chinese

wow, australians are so racist they would accept the farkin chinese over americans just to avoid the 12% black demographic. startling truths itt

lol

Madarin is more pleasant on the ear than American, sorry.

"Whaddaya mean you're outta twinkies, oh my gahd Herb lets go someplace alse!"
ya. those racist white former colonists with no culture must really chap your ass
They really do, the south africans here are bad enough

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:
Vampirachrists post was retarded but so are yours. I'm not 'outraged' I'm just saying there was a very noticeable racist element in that commercial. I find it strange that you seem unwilling to notice this apparently because it's not an American sport? As if cricket and Australias relationship with the West Indians via cricket is completely divorced of the racist history that Australia has as a former part of the British empire and as an independent nation...

Obviously there are other far more important issues i just find this sort of willful cognitive dissonance to be strange

But the primary historical relationship we have with the west Indies is cricket, not slavery or racism.

lol

The primary relationship that America has with Kenya is running, not slavery or racism.
The primary relationship that Britain has with the Ivory Coast is futbol, not slavery or racism.