futurewidow posted:
http://myprivilege.tumblr.com/post/18350376615/atheist-privilege-part-2#notes- I don’t have to read ancient, influential works like the Bible or the writings of Augustine of Hippo; I can stick to easy authors like Cory Doctorow and Neil Gaiman, never having to move beyond pulp fantasy books about magical robots for middle schoolers

- I was born with a brain capable of ignoring the atrocities committed in the name of atheism (Stalin’s slaughter of 30 million Ukrainians, the Plague that killed off 1/3 of China’s population during the reign of Mao) while obsessing over relatively minor offenses commited in the name of Christianity like the Crusades

The cool thing about how the crusades are sometimes portrayed is that it's like ~evil Christians come to attack poorMohammedans, AS USUAL. ~ But those Moslems had conquered and converted/second class citizened about half of all the christians in the world, and were close to conquering the last strong christian power in their zone. Muslim powers's rhetoric has always had plenty of calls for jiihads. Though calling for war isn't hypocritical for Islam, since some of its justification for God's endorsement of the religion was Muhammad's wartime successes against long odds. So it's fair to criticize any war in the name of christianity, while a war in the name of Islam is just Islam

When you read about the Moslem viewpoint of the crusades, for quite a long time they really had no specific understanding that the franqs thought they were on a holy mission. At least they didn't see this Holy Mission as any different from whatever the shaman told the horsey nomad tribe as justification for their raiding and conquering of muslim lands.
The Franqs were just a novel power/threat to be dealt with, not different from raiding nomads except in the specifics culture and way of waging war + their direction of origin

The local Muslim rulers readily joined forces with the Franqs and used them against their enemies, for years and years and years. Even after Saladin had rallied many muslims together, the crusaders still had the ASSASSINS as allies. You probably know the story of the Knife Note in Saladin's pillow. Of course they were an offshoot of an offshoot of an offshoot of shiism and naturally hostile to sunni authority.

In conclusion: There used to be lots of pieces of true cross all over the place. Saladin wasn't a warrior at all, but a great diplomat. There are so many cool stories from the middle east in that time in history. Italians are the biggest babies of history. Armenians are the unluckiest group of people in the historical record.

Some good quotes by Salah- ah Din, who was so virtuous and true to his word that europeans thought he was chrisitian

"The Franks have none of the better qualities of men, except courage"

" For a Frank on horseback is invincible, and would even make a hole in the walls of Babylon"

PS: MARXISM IS FOOL'S GOLD
INTERNET TRANNIES NEED TO BE HOTTIES OR BE OUT OF MY FACE

Edited by Myfanwy ()

interesting...
Just had a good ol' boiled egg. Yum!
being anti-mao, even being ironically anti-mao, is something my sword cannot forgive
http://www.b3ta.com/features/howtopoachanegg/

littlegreenpills posted:
yeah, diapers

[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
hi lf

howdy. how are you, im fine. nearly plowing time, we've only got like half a foot of snow left and its melting real fast because of the heat and the rain.

i think it might be time for garden fest 2012 rhizzone edition
i watch p. allen smith

gyrofry posted:
heres a tip, add some vinegar to the boiling water, the acidity helps the egg white keep together

i have tested this with eggs of varying freshness and im now fairly sure its bollocks. the only way to have any appreciable effect on the integrity of the more liquid outer white is to use so much vinegar it tastes like shit. i've also experimented with bathing the cracked egg in vinegar in the minutes before poaching it, which caused a very thin film of denatured albumin to forum around the egg. this had no effect on its integrity either.

in fact, the liquid outer white is generally the cause of most poaching trouble. this liquid portion grows in volume as the egg slowly works its way toward rottenness, and is what produces the shitty ragged edges of a home poached egg. fresh eggs are much easier to poach.

one way to "appoach" haha the liquid white portion is to crack the egg into a sieve over a sink, which allows the liquid to drain off. this means your egg is going to end up much more coherent.

ive often wondered whether the vortex method just rips off this part, leaving the gel portion of the white behind. who can say.

the poaching method i use is nothing more than cracking room-temperature eggs into large but quite shallow pan of water (the shorter the distance the egg falls through the water, the less torn up it gets - you can fuck around with ladles and bowls if you like). the water should be near-boiling, but with the heat off. putting the heat back on on the lowest setting i think is actually a good idea, because the very small bubbles that form just before a simmer do a nice job of lifting the egg from the bottom of the pan. cook em for however long you like, get em out with a slotted spoon or one of those wok ladle things, enjoi.

if u like ill poach an egg tomorrow and poachst pics

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
myth busted
http://foodslashscience.blogspot.com/2010/01/science-behind-poaching-egg.html
im just sitting here waiting for an opportunity to make a "much like your poaching" joke
well layed
[account deactivated]

gyrofry posted:

yeah see i think the vinegar marinade test implies this is useless because the vinegar only ever comes into contact with the outermost layer of albumin. it explains how avgolemono works though.

aww jools you're becoming quite the little foodie *rubs ur belly*

jools posted:

gyrofry posted:

yeah see i think the vinegar marinade test implies this is useless because the vinegar only ever comes into contact with the outermost layer of albumin. it explains how avgolemono works though.

also the secret to great sea urchin ceviche

HILF

hams I'd like to fry
hams are for steaming

jools posted:

gyrofry posted:
heres a tip, add some vinegar to the boiling water, the acidity helps the egg white keep together

i have tested this with eggs of varying freshness and im now fairly sure its bollocks. the only way to have any appreciable effect on the integrity of the more liquid outer white is to use so much vinegar it tastes like shit. i've also experimented with bathing the cracked egg in vinegar in the minutes before poaching it, which caused a very thin film of denatured albumin to forum around the egg. this had no effect on its integrity either.

in fact, the liquid outer white is generally the cause of most poaching trouble. this liquid portion grows in volume as the egg slowly works its way toward rottenness, and is what produces the shitty ragged edges of a home poached egg. fresh eggs are much easier to poach.

one way to "appoach" haha the liquid white portion is to crack the egg into a sieve over a sink, which allows the liquid to drain off. this means your egg is going to end up much more coherent.

ive often wondered whether the vortex method just rips off this part, leaving the gel portion of the white behind. who can say.

the poaching method i use is nothing more than cracking room-temperature eggs into large but quite shallow pan of water (the shorter the distance the egg falls through the water, the less torn up it gets - you can fuck around with ladles and bowls if you like). the water should be near-boiling, but with the heat off. putting the heat back on on the lowest setting i think is actually a good idea, because the very small bubbles that form just before a simmer do a nice job of lifting the egg from the bottom of the pan. cook em for however long you like, get em out with a slotted spoon or one of those wok ladle things, enjoi.

if u like ill poach an egg tomorrow and poachst pics

YEs. yes

just buy miniature sized pans that are 3 inches in diameter and then poach eggs in that - problem solved.
it's not as good because it takes longer for the white to cook through, so it gets really difficult to keep the yolks soft. i have little dishes i use but i always end up with mcdonalds style hard pucks of egg, which is fine for ~certian poaching styles~ but if u want a soft yolk u gotta poach properly i think
does anyone here ever fuck the food
im pretty sure i got naked and danced around a bon fire last night and now im hungover with scratches on my body
when i was a kid i set a story set during the first crusade. did you know that the year before the capture of jerusalem in 1099 the egyptian mamaluks captured it themselves from the turks? that turkish harassment of pilgrims had been one of the stated reasons for the crusade? that the egyptians, who were allied with the byzantines whose plight had precipitated the crusade, tried to manipulate the crusaders into leaving jerusalem alone and defeating the turks for them? that this utterly failed because the crusaders saw no differentiation between saracens? that poached eggs are gross and you oughta scramble dat shit?

GoldenLionTamarin posted:

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww yes

deadken posted:
poached eggs are gross

cruisin 4 a bruisin, b'y

lmao @ poached eggs in general, heres how u cook a egg: crack egg onto teflon, take it off a minute later, now u haev egg, serve w/toasted crumpet and spaghetti-os
anyone found not scrambling their eg is subject to immediate ideological purge

mudcrabs posted:
im pretty sure i got naked and danced around a bon fire last night and now im hungover with scratches on my body

cool i did that last weekend, i smelled of smoke and jouissance

hey why dontn you.... clean.... your... uh, hands?... right outta here!!!
you say poached eg, all i hear is a thousand mean-spirited voices shouting decadence, decadence, and, i agree with them

deadken posted:

hey why dontn you.... clean.... your... uh, hands?... right outta here!!!

Meursault posted:

GoldenLionTamarin posted:

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww yes

what is your favorite kind of cuisine to fuck, my friend

deadken posted:
anyone found not scrambling their eg is subject to immediate ideological purge

if you don't start nearly every day with two eggs scambled with vegetables and cheese and a little cumin and salsa for flavor all wrapped in a tortilla then you're not me, you're some other gal or guy, i don't know what else to say