hey come on, just because mccaine really loves the novels,
mieville was in the SWP, they have a lot of practice writing marxist-science fiction
controvertial opinion incoming - i watched get out and it was bad
I didn't watch that because it seemed bad to me.

Here's my joke about the film get out:

It's the movie of key and peele because in their show every other sketch is one character asking another character to leave over and over while they don't leave.
Not so controversial, I watched it and I had mixed feelings. Can't pinpoint exactly why. Why do you, tears, think it was bad?
felt very flat, as a horror film it was useless, as an example nothing breaks tension like repeated jumps away to find out what the cop was doing in normal land. imo the plot reminded me of "the consipracy" but no where near as well done.

the trailer had a really creepy feel that i felt was totally lost in the film itself. it was a good trailer
[account deactivated]
I'm imagining paying money to see a movie with Alison Williams in it and it's like the axe goon... every time I visualize chopping wood the axe rotates at the last moment.
[account deactivated]
did anyone ever hear about the video that kills u after watching it? cos im watching it
imo blackcoats daughter was the best horror film (re)released this year so far, pure misery and despair ^_^

tears posted:

did anyone ever hear about the video that kills u after watching it? cos im watching it

are you crazy

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
speaking of scary movies, the other night i watched Bone Tomahawk. anyone here seen it?
bodies bodies bodies bodies bodies bodies bodies bodies bodies bodies
i have cracked the code and solved the mystery of "what exactly was Get Out trying to say"
I dont watch scary movies!! todays teens callow uncaring natures is scary enough! And xbox is bad too

Petrol posted:

speaking of scary movies, the other night i watched Bone Tomahawk. anyone here seen it?

Yeah that movie was great, it was basically a massive "funny games" made to troll the racist shit out of people who just want to see kurt russell mow down some indians without considering what that would actually entail. read the amazon reviews of it, people are like "this movie seriously hurt my wife and now she can't sleep" haha maybe think about what you consume next time stupid

Double feature of hush & don't breathe would be great if anyone hasn't seen those... good horror

swampman posted:

Petrol posted:

Yeah that movie was great, it was basically a massive "funny games" made to troll the racist shit out of people who just want to see kurt russell mow down some indians without considering what that would actually entail. read the amazon reviews of it, people are like "this movie seriously hurt my wife and now she can't sleep" haha maybe think about what you consume next time stupid

lol. i'm glad you agree. i thought the same but i've tried to find out more about the film after watching it because it impressed me so much, and google led me down a rabbit hole of people going "this film would be great if it wasn't so racist!!" and after a while i was starting to doubt my interpretation of it

t H E r H i z z o n E reviews: Get Out (2017)

some people liked it, some people didnt like it, hell, some people didnt watch it, but we all agreed that popular culture is extremely good and bad

---

front page this asap so people can know the zzone line on this film
havent seen it yet but i have it on good authority that crow liked it so i assume its Good.
The main thing i know about China mieville is this thing happened: http://weeklyworker.co.uk/worker/995/isnetwork-bondage-and-bigotry/ where the ISN split over whether billionaire Roman Abramovich's wife sitting on a chair designed to look like a black woman was bad and racist (boooo kinkshaming) or sexy and empowering (yaaaay sexy choosy choice.) Mieville resigned in protest, coming down on the side of choosy choice, which is as brave as it is hilarious
urgent update
i have been informed via pm that were are in fact not all in agreement that "popular culture is extremely good and bad". In addition to scheduling an article ammendment, i have taken the liberty of updating our Points of Struggle to include "is popular culture extremely good and bad?", and removed it from out Points of Unity, which now number zero

sorry for any confusion
Just plagiarize some mao quotes and call it a review

In the world today all culture, all literature and art belong to definite classes and are geared to definite political lines. There is in fact no such thing as art for art's sake, art that stands above classes, art that is detached from or independent of politics.

In literary and art criticism there are two criteria, the political and the artistic.... There is the political criterion and there is the artistic criterion; what is the relationship between the two? Politics cannot be equated with art, nor can a general world outlook be equated with a method of artistic creation and criticism. We deny not only that there is an abstract and absolutely unchangeable political criterion, but also that there is an abstract and absolutely unchangeable artistic criterion; each class in every class society has its own political and artistic criteria. But all classes in all class societies invariably put the political criterion first and the artistic criterion second.... What we demand is the unity of politics and art, the unity of content and form, the unity of revolutionary political content and the highest possible perfection of artistic form. Works of art, which lack artistic quality, have no force, however progressive they are politically. Therefore, we oppose both works of art with a wrong political viewpoint and the tendency towards the "Communist meme" which is correct in political viewpoint but lacking in artistic power. On questions of literature and art we must carry on a struggle on two fronts

aerdil posted:

hey come on, just because mccaine really loves the novels,

mccaine is gay?

tears posted:

Lavender Town? I lost some friends to that.

NASA have a short film competition with prize money for films using their space footage ... if anyone is feeling creative

http://cinespace.org/
http://cinemartsociety.org/cinespace/call-for-works

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/download-nasa-videos-for-cinespace
"This is fake. This too. Fake. Fake. All of it, fake as hell. There are children starving down there. Yellow babies, bloodstream full of hydrazine. Except not, cos it's fake. Space is fake. Why do you want to meet aliens. You don't even talk to your neighbors. Fake. Fake. Communism"
[account deactivated]
mods?!?!
posting about how certain bourgeois are better than others, and generally in favour of bourgeois character....that is the 8th type.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i don't like the capitalist show.
W Kamau Bell had Richard Spencer on his show and sat there while Spencer talked forever and Bell occasionally timidly interjected things like maybe Spencer doesn't understand the true meaning of Thanksgiving, striking a resounding blow against the edifice of neo-Nazism in the United States.

roseweird posted:

i cant stop watching this reality show called The Profit where this businessman is building up his portfolio of bits of the american economy by finding failing businesses for his show, visiting them and evaluating their problems and their potential, then making an aggressive deal for about 50% partnership in exchange for investment and expertise. i went into it thinking he'd be scum and maybe he is in the big picture but well most of the businesses are failing because their owners are mentally ill decadent petty bourgeois pigs who are coasting out their own businesses' failures while neglecting or actively abusing their employees and this guy is pretty astute and reasonable, he's usually looking out for employees and sometimes negotiates partnership deals for them. plus he makes venture capitalism seem exciting and fun, like when he's out to acquire a stake in an ice cream company, he's like "the ice cream industry generates $10B/yr. i wanna taste of it!" lol. anyway...

yeah I've only seen a couple of them but I'm pretty sure that's the thesis of all those shows, purestrain-liberalism "the problem with capitalism isn't capitalism, it's assholes."

this is probably why America, a country famous for its many assholes, is so liberal

roseweird posted:

i cant stop watching this reality show called The Profit where this businessman is building up his portfolio of bits of the american economy by finding failing businesses for his show, visiting them and evaluating their problems and their potential, then making an aggressive deal for about 50% partnership in exchange for investment and expertise. i went into it thinking he'd be scum and maybe he is in the big picture but well most of the businesses are failing because their owners are mentally ill decadent petty bourgeois pigs who are coasting out their own businesses' failures while neglecting or actively abusing their employees and this guy is pretty astute and reasonable, he's usually looking out for employees and sometimes negotiates partnership deals for them. plus he makes venture capitalism seem exciting and fun, like when he's out to acquire a stake in an ice cream company, he's like "the ice cream industry generates $10B/yr. i wanna taste of it!" lol. anyway...

shark tank does this too, pitting the smart capitalists against the dolt entrepreneurs and portraying bourgeois infighting as spirited competition between individuals rather than the temporary misalignment of interests between members of the same exploiter class

roseweird posted:

You must be getting close to finishing your engineering degree...